Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, seconded - do install a hotkey or two, though. for some reason i can't get a hotkey to re-accelerate the speed but i was too lazy to test more than 2-3 options

Really liking this game so far. I can tell that Alexis Kennedy's input here was more limited, but the prose is fun in slightly different ways. And I wish to reiterate that the first visit around Albion is great. :allears:

whoever animated the Clockwork Sun is a genius

I like how intensely, absurdly dangerous it is to be anywhere near that thing. The little risk-reward minidungeon you can do there is extraordinarily deadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
12 hours clocked and only just discovered you have to actually activate the officers to get their bonuses.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

xiw posted:

12 hours clocked and only just discovered you have to actually activate the officers to get their bonuses.

I probably would have never noticed.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Should I be trying to run the Reach dry, or should I look to move on asap? Is this set up where each zone is strictly progression and I'll have no real reason to go back?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
There are storylines that will have you pop in and out of the regions so you'll be back

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Should I be trying to run the Reach dry, or should I look to move on asap? Is this set up where each zone is strictly progression and I'll have no real reason to go back?

Move on whenever you feel "comfortable" (know most of the map, have a good way of making money) and always stock up on supplies before moving on. And no, there's going to be many quests that require you to come back to other regions.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Does anything happen when you overheat or are you just prevented from shooting/strafing for a few seconds?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

counterfeitsaint posted:

Does anything happen when you overheat or are you just prevented from shooting/strafing for a few seconds?

You can't strafe and if you shoot you damage your own hull (but it instantly reduces your heat and does allow the shot to go through, so you can shoot in emergencies).

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

You can't strafe and if you shoot you damage your own hull (but it instantly reduces your heat and does allow the shot to go through, so you can shoot in emergencies).

Which is something I do a lot against those goddamn guest infested ships with the organic guns and weird damage aura. I hate those goddamn things so much. Thought I must admit they give real good rewards if you get lucky.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Piranesi is very good.

The third rule is very good.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Definitely check out Albion.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gosh darn it, my captain keeps accidentally eating people.

I just stumbled upon my third encounter with cannibalism. I hope this doesn't come back to haunt me, my captain is really nice lady I swear she just doesn't like to turn down a free meal!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How does death work in the game? Do you go Ironman all the time? I've read something about inheritances, but I'd rather not repeat the same quests over and over.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Fat Samurai posted:

How does death work in the game? Do you go Ironman all the time? I've read something about inheritances, but I'd rather not repeat the same quests over and over.
If you do a classic campaign, you make a new character on death and your train, weapons, half of the money you had on hand, and everything that's in the bank carries over. If you go for merciful campaign, you can restart from the last port you stopped at with everything you did up until leaving the port saved.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

xiw posted:

And here I thought they let you just have multiple officers of one type.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I was wondering why my stats seemed so low.

Also, are there any guns that mount on turrets?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Blue Kingdom sucks.

How do I stop the giant balls of light from killing me while I try to explore this long boring hallway?

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out. Turns out the dead are just as entangles in bureaucracy as the living.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 5, 2019

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Smack dab in the middle of pitched combat with a Curator, bat blood flying everywhere as I land cannon shots, his last shockwave dropped my locomotive to ~13 hull. It can't last much longer. I can't last much longer.

This last set of shots has to be loving perfect or he'll draw up another attack while I'm overheated and that's the loving ballgame. Focus, focus, focus, and it's at this exact point I get the random event that my Inadvisably Big Dog is busy causing trouble somewhere on board goddamnit boy I'm in the middle of something here alright fine one quick game of catch.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
If you think the Blue Passport line was a bit much, man just wait until you become an MP.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just realized this thread existed. I ended up putting like 5 hours in on ironman before realizing that that was bullshit and just making a new lineage on merciful, and I'm now "done" with the Reach and Albion (done meaning, done with the stuff that isn't too much of a pain in the rear end and can be done without repeated travel between zones). Eleutheria is honestly more what I was looking for in this game. In a lot of ways, compared to Sunless Sea, the Reach felt too tame and Albion felt too human. Eleutheria hits the exact notes Sunless Sea does of "well, nothing makes sense and I'm pretty sure that guy over there is an eldritch horror but you gotta make a living somehow, so I'll buy the local coffee blend to sell back home"

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

vegetables posted:

I’ve been trying to recommend the Sunless games to people and really struggling to convey their mood in words. “Like a dilapidated glasshouse by a stately home” is about the best I can do?

Dreamlike, Lovecraftian Alice in Wonderland?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Squiggle posted:

Dreamlike, Lovecraftian Alice in Wonderland?

Extra nihilistic Sherlock Holmes as written by David Sedaris

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

vegetables posted:

I’ve been trying to recommend the Sunless games to people and really struggling to convey their mood in words. “Like a dilapidated glasshouse by a stately home” is about the best I can do?
The "A Study In Emerald" expanded universe.

Edit: thread title is :discourse:

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 5, 2019

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It amuses me to no end that the entire Truth ambition can be summed up as you attempting to learn the Terrible Secret of Space.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

cheetah7071 posted:

Just realized this thread existed. I ended up putting like 5 hours in on ironman before realizing that that was bullshit and just making a new lineage on merciful, and I'm now "done" with the Reach and Albion (done meaning, done with the stuff that isn't too much of a pain in the rear end and can be done without repeated travel between zones). Eleutheria is honestly more what I was looking for in this game. In a lot of ways, compared to Sunless Sea, the Reach felt too tame and Albion felt too human. Eleutheria hits the exact notes Sunless Sea does of "well, nothing makes sense and I'm pretty sure that guy over there is an eldritch horror but you gotta make a living somehow, so I'll buy the local coffee blend to sell back home"

Albion is too human? I guess that's true, but it's some pretty dark inhumane humanity. They just spread out the flavor of this series into its own compartmentalized sections. Reach has a little bit of everything, Albion got all the Humanity Is The Greatest Monster, Eleutheria got the Ok No Wait There Are Actual Literal Monsters What Were We Thinking and Blue Kingdom gets all the death lore that this series loves, with EXTRA BUREAUCRACY.

Seriously though even if it's extremely human the Brabazon Workworld stuff is pretty chilling. Plus there's Worlesbury-Juxta Mare if you were missing some eldritch horror undertones...

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Albion is only human on the surface, scratch the skin and it'll start bleeding glass.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Finally dug my teeth into the launch version, though I've played some 50 hours on-and-off in the beta and gotten absolutely nowhere. Now, I've just almost-bankrupted myself buying a big ol' battlecruiser in Albion and done a few of the major stories the Workers' Revolution, Kidnapping an Aristocrat, rescuing the glass man from the Sun so I'm wondering if its time to pack up and move to Eleutheria. Unfortunately, I don't remember what the transit station wants (I think tea?) and I'm skeptical of picking up and moving off from my familiar hunting grounds.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In Albion all (or most) of the eldritch monstrosities are understood, categorized, and exploited. How workworlds function is reported in newspapers instead of in hushed secrets. The clockwork sun turning you to glass is a known hazard, like the side effects on the back of a medicine bottle. It has a lived-in feel to it, like this is what happens when eldritch stuff is understood and has just become the new normal for life. I don't hate it but it's a very different mood and wasn't what I was looking for.

The Reach had the separate problem that the ports all felt safe. The Traitor's Woods was the only one that evoked the feeling of poking my head where I didn't belong.

Anyways this post makes it sound like I hate the game but I don't, I'm just explaining in detail relatively minor complaints

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anyone know where one might curdle their soul? I have all the other flaws and am aiming for a complete set.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

BBJoey posted:

Anyone know where one might curdle their soul? I have all the other flaws and am aiming for a complete set.

The only way I have seen that one is by sucking up to the west-enders in port prosper. I don't know if you have to have done it the first time you enter the port or not. Seeing as how it is supposed to represent your desire to crony for the powerful, I'm sure it pops up elsewhere if you lay down for the man.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Yeah, that’s all I can find online (as well as a seemingly faction-specific option in Pan), and I’m long past first entering Port Prosper - suppose I’ll go for that achievement next run.

Lore question regarding the Reach and suns: the Reach’s judgement is dead, yet the physical laws of reality seem fine. I may have missed it, but does the game go over why that is?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

BBJoey posted:

Yeah, that’s all I can find online (as well as a seemingly faction-specific option in Pan), and I’m long past first entering Port Prosper - suppose I’ll go for that achievement next run.

Lore question regarding the Reach and suns: the Reach’s judgement is dead, yet the physical laws of reality seem fine. I may have missed it, but does the game go over why that is?

The Reach is described as being wildly overgrown and the seeds there are erratic at best as to what you'll actually grow, so it's in a similar-but-different situation to the Neath where the laws of nature are much more lax in what they'll accept, but they haven't been actively and methodically broken like in the Iron Republic.

I think the Judgements can only add more rules onto the already-existing foundational ruleset of the universe, they're still physical entities and as such they are themselves limited, that's why they can die.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The Reach had the separate problem that the ports all felt safe. The Traitor's Woods was the only one that evoked the feeling of poking my head where I didn't belong.

I found Port Avon felt very not-safe; building an English village on something ancient and pretending everything’s fine is a trope that unsettles me hard

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

vegetables posted:

I found Port Avon felt very not-safe; building an English village on something ancient and pretending everything’s fine is a trope that unsettles me hard

This is why Albion is my favorite region (although I also loved Eleutheria and The Reach a bunch too, Blue Kingdom sucks).

Everyone is trying to act like things are the way they've always been, even though they're so clearly different, which prevents them from properly dealing with the obvious lovecraftian problems they're faced with (and the main one of which they caused) which in turn allows those problems to grow and become much worse.

Worlebury-juxta-Mare is the best port, and that's saying something in this game.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 6, 2019

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Worlebury-juxta-Mare is the best port, and that's saying something in this game.

Agreed. This and everything to do with the Clockwork sun are my favorite parts of the game. It just does creeping horror so well.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I lost my first captain last night, a Windward and Tackety were duking it out and I was low on health but decided to help finish of the Tackety. After I died the Windward ship decided to turn on me and finished me off.

Kinda bummed, but I like how the game handles progression with a new captain.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

I'd say Titania qualifies, depending on your definition of "safe."

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Everyone is trying to act like things are the way they've always been, even though they're so clearly different, which prevents them from properly dealing with the obvious lovecraftian problems they're faced with (and the main one of which the caused) which in turn allows those problems to grow and become much worse.

There are indeed a lot of Brexit references in this game.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Popete posted:

I lost my first captain last night, a Windward and Tackety were duking it out and I was low on health but decided to help finish of the Tackety. After I died the Windward ship decided to turn on me and finished me off.

Kinda bummed, but I like how the game handles progression with a new captain.
So I felt bummed losing a captain in similar circumstances that had 10+ ministry permits and other various 'intangibles' you get here and there. However about 30 minutes into the new captain I was back to a sustainable level of most of those items, and with the engine/bank/levels passed down the 'sting' was fairly painless.

Sure for a brief time after you start a new captain you're hard up for Sky Stories and Permits, but it's not the end of the world. You gotta round up the crew anyway, you'll get em back.

I had a question, for anyone that's had further dealings with Mr Pennies in Lustrum:

What happens if you choose to end his operation on the mountain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

How much more dangerous is Eleutheria or Blue Kingdom compared to Albion?

Minor Albion spoilers below:

With my first captain I went to Albion on an un-upgraded boat with 5 supplies because I stupidly assumed that there'd be a port that sold supplies right next to the portal, because that'd be rational, and then it turned out the two ports within bat-range of the portal only sold fuel and I starved to death before I found London. It's especially bad when you can't send out a scout to find supplies because you don't have the supplies to send our the scout.

I'm on a new captain, I'm upgrading to a strong Albion boat with a bunch of upgraded stuff and plenty of supplies, I have little left outside of Eleutheria - is there anything I should be absolutely aware of so that I don't gently caress over my game situation right away?