Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In the worst case scenario in Eleutheria you'll have to traverse about half the map before finding a port. The monsters are dangerous enough you shouldn't enter with the starting train but the trains sold in Albion should be fine. One of the loading screen tooltips helpfully suggests that some monsters in Eleutheria only attack when your lantern is on, and some only attack when it's off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

skeleton warrior posted:

With my first captain I went to Albion on an un-upgraded boat with 5 supplies because I stupidly assumed that there'd be a port that sold supplies right next to the portal, because that'd be rational, and then it turned out the two ports within bat-range of the portal only sold fuel and I starved to death before I found London. It's especially bad when you can't send out a scout to find supplies because you don't have the supplies to send our the scout.

The hub port is always at the center-ish of the map. I flew from the gate to London without incident on 2 supplies.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Liking the game so far. I think it is a far better game than Sunless Seas, even if I have more attachment to the 'Neth and London being down there. Sailing a sea is also just more interesting to me thematically but I'm enjoying how they make space feel, even if that feeling is barely 'like space'. Still coming to terms with the way they've created hub and spoke corridors. I think it is ultimately a better thing even if it loses that wide open feeling of loneliness that Sea had.

So pleased they changed how earning money and upgrading the Engine works too. The more noticeable small increases in power feel good. Glad it is so much more than just "more Sunless Sea".

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

skeleton warrior posted:

With my first captain I went to Albion on an un-upgraded boat with 5 supplies because I stupidly assumed that there'd be a port that sold supplies
I'm on a new captain, I'm upgrading to a strong Albion boat with a bunch of upgraded stuff and plenty of supplies, I have little left outside of Eleutheria - is there anything I should be absolutely aware of so that I don't gently caress over my game situation right away?
Bring a little more supplies than you think you need so you can get away with spaming your scout until you reach the hub. Also make sure your fear is as low as possible in case you want to keep your light off to avoid pissing off most of the enemies.

In case you want the "You might not be able to return easily" warning spoiled: the relay you enter from is broken and you need to make your way to Eagle's Empyrean to get back to the Reach.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The Royal Society in Albion sells train equipment with unusual properties for unusual costs; many of them have things like hold+4 tacked onto already-good equipment. That goes a long way towards being able to store gently caress-you amounts of supplies.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So on my new captains ship I have a single Jericho gun, but i can't seem to shoot it. Do I need ammo or something?

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Is there any kind of story to advance in Port Avon? Or is it just a place to go to recycle the various opportunities there/reduce terror?

Edit: other than the hunting club, which doesn't seem to go anywhere.

BigShasta fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 6, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Popete posted:

So on my new captains ship I have a single Jericho gun, but i can't seem to shoot it. Do I need ammo or something?

Is it equipped? The event that gives you the gun during the tutorial auto-equips it but you can mess with equipment at any port so you might have unequipped it. Otherwise it should be either left-click or right-click depending on which slot it's in.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

Is it equipped? The event that gives you the gun during the tutorial auto-equips it but you can mess with equipment at any port so you might have unequipped it. Otherwise it should be either left-click or right-click depending on which slot it's in.

Yeah it's equipped in one of the weapon slots. I even removed it and moved it to a different slot. Maybe it's a bug? I guess I could try buying a new gun.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Popete posted:

Yeah it's equipped in one of the weapon slots. I even removed it and moved it to a different slot. Maybe it's a bug? I guess I could try buying a new gun.

Try checking your button configs to see if something went funky too

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What is the standard procedure when meeting horrors? Just leave or try to kill? Are there glorious and terrible rewards?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Eleutheria was great because the game suddenly becomes a survival horror story. It took me a long time to find either of the main ports, so I couldn't repair my ship when it got damaged (which happened a lot, the Undeparted are assholes). I had to just fly around praying I would find wrecks I could strip hull off of.

Oh, and the first port I came across was the decaying body of the bazaar, that really set the mood.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Wrr posted:

So pleased they changed how earning money and upgrading the Engine works too. The more noticeable small increases in power feel good. Glad it is so much more than just "more Sunless Sea".

I'm not sure how they'd pull it off, but I'd kill for a remastered Sea that makes trading a meaningful thing and sped the fuckin' thing up.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Eleutheria was great because the game suddenly becomes a survival horror story. It took me a long time to find either of the main ports, so I couldn't repair my ship when it got damaged (which happened a lot, the Undeparted are assholes). I had to just fly around praying I would find wrecks I could strip hull off of.

Oh, and the first port I came across was the decaying body of the bazaar, that really set the mood.

That's not the Bazaar, it's just a creature of the same species. You can find a dead one buried in the ice in the reach too. They go way out of their way from everything I've seen, which is a lot, to saying what became of the Bazaar. If you ask a person there about the rubbery men they specifically say they have no idea why the hell they went all the way from london to here.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Squiggle posted:

I'm not sure how they'd pull it off, but I'd kill for a remastered Sea that makes trading a meaningful thing and sped the fuckin' thing up.

Wellllll a lot of that game is the text which is already done. Ctrl+C -> Ctrl+V baby.

I'm sure they've done a ton of stuff on the backend to make improve the game but my guess is that it wouldn't be impossibly difficult. Except for the "super small team no one to do the work" thing. I'd rebuy Sunless Seas for it.

The game right now is split up into different major zones. I wonder how big they can make those zones. Would a Sea More Sunless Edition game fit inside one? Many questions.

There is something nice about just setting speed to max and leaning back as you watch your ship chug along the zee. Less active but sorta relaxing.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I miss having a horn :(

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I swear to God there is nothing more satisfying than formenting rebellion against the lovely neo-victorian Empire that exists everywhere in this game.

If I could have one wish it would be to boot Her Undying Majesty clean in the throat and cast down every single part of the empire. It's just all so relentlessly bureaucraticly awful.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I swear to God there is nothing more satisfying than formenting rebellion against the lovely neo-victorian Empire that exists everywhere in this game.

If I could have one wish it would be to boot Her Undying Majesty clean in the throat and cast down every single part of the empire. It's just all so relentlessly bureaucraticly awful.

The problem is that it just doesn't seem to take. Does anyone know if it's possible to End the Winchester war permanently and have the uprising in the workworlds go in a way that isn't full circle?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i have to stop reading this thread because so far it sounds a hell of a lot better than sunless seas and ive got a few games on my list before i get to this one

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

NewMars posted:

The problem is that it just doesn't seem to take. Does anyone know if it's possible to End the Winchester war permanently and have the uprising in the workworlds go in a way that isn't full circle?

I don't know if it will take, but I can keep trying. Also if one of the possible expansions isn't "crush the monarchy" I will be very upset!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

honestly I'm not even sure how I'm still getting past the relay into Albion

like do they not keep up with the New Gazette

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'm the hero of the tacketies and this mildly singed ministry permit says you should let me through

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Josef bugman posted:

while my first playthrough is as a loyal servant of the Crown, blowing up the Dawn Machine 2.0 does strike me as a remarkably efficient way to bring about the Liberation of Night, at least locally

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I finished a questline in a way that made the game pass 1 and a half years forward in time and I lost 50 sun luminosity in one go

that spooked me

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Ooooh!

What happens when it reaches 0? Or 100 for that matter?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'm the hero of the tacketies and this mildly singed ministry permit says you should let me through

Are you going to pick a fight with someone who routinely attacks dreadnaughts in a mining engine and wins? Paperwork says let em through, so let em through. Not worth your life.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Ooooh!

What happens when it reaches 0? Or 100 for that matter?

I'm not sure, I bumped it up a bit because I wasn't ready to deal with the sun potentially imploding just yet

I've still got some deliveries to make

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ThaumPenguin posted:

honestly I'm not even sure how I'm still getting past the relay into Albion

like do they not keep up with the New Gazette

The only way I can make sense of it all is if the military and civilian bureaucracy don't share notes like, at all, and also your train is known but your face isn't, even when you buy a new train

It would have been cool if the Albion relay was in a more neutral location that could switch factions as the war progressed

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Stroth posted:

Are you going to pick a fight with someone who routinely attacks dreadnaughts in a mining engine and wins? Paperwork says let em through, so let em through. Not worth your life.

I've been in retail, I get it tbh

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I know it's not the implication but I like the idea that there's just documents lying around with "The Ministry approves the bearer to take the following action: __________" and you can fill in the blank yourself. And same for royal approval or whatever that resource is called.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Boy playing this reminds me how openly hostile Failbetter is towards fun. No Failbetter no matter how much you want to punish me for mistakes/"mistakes" getting stuck in areas hoping to finally get the supplies/fuel whatever I need is unfun. Hitting a stray rock/something I might have thought was the background and dying? Also not fun. While this is an improvement to seas it's still annoying.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Sorry everyone else is having fun with this Video Game

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Sorry everyone else is having fun with this Video Game

Why the gently caress do you think I care if you have fun with a video game? People always seem to always interpret my criticisms of a game as some sort of attack on them for liking it. The games still slow, it is incredibly punishing and even without perma death can screw you over pretty easily. Both me disliking it and others enjoying it are both perfectly fine.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Duck and Cover posted:

Why the gently caress do you think I care if you have fun with a video game? People always seem to always interpret my criticisms of a game as some sort of attack on them for liking it. The games still slow, it is incredibly punishing and even without perma death can screw you over pretty easily. Both me disliking it and others enjoying it are both perfectly fine.

You came across a little aggressive in your initial post and if this is repeatedly happening it's probably the case that your criticism is often aggressively worded

I do sorta agree that the act of actually playing this game can be frustrating and with ironman on is downright unfun. It crosses the line back into fun on merciful mode for me though.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

Why the gently caress do you think I care if you have fun with a video game? People always seem to always interpret my criticisms of a game as some sort of attack on them for liking it.

maybe this always seems to happen because you kramer into a thread swinging an axe. relax

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

NewMars posted:

I do kind of miss the amorality of Sunless Sea, in all honesty. In the Neath it really did feel like there was no such thing as right and wrong, I thought it did a very good job of conveying the idea that down in the neath, normal human notions of good and evil just literally don't apply, like trying to apply morality to spiders. By contrast, Albion just exudes evil, but like, regular human evil, just souped up by eldritch power, and I liked that Sea mostly set that notion to one side. Of course I understand that in the context of the universe's lore this makes a lot of sense given that Albion is lit by a sun which pumps out upper class Victorian morality as constant truths, etc. etc.

I never thought I'd complain that the characters in a work of fiction are too believable and realistic, but here we are.

On a related note about eldritch, unspeakable evil, does anyone know how I can ban the people who put the jam on before the cream from parliament because I mean seriously what the gently caress, what the gently caress.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
So, for some silly reason (probably "I am a huge fan of Fallen London's story and setting") past me backed this on Kickstarter despite having shelved Sunless Sea years ago (I think the last time I played was in 2015), but it turns out I'm really enjoying this so far and it definitely feels easier to get a foothold in than Sea.

But that makes me wonder (and I can't find a thread for Sea so I figured I'd ask here) - did any of the Sunless Sea patches make the game even slightly less tedious or impenetrable to actually play? There's a lot I like about the idea of playing it, and Skies seems so far to be a lot closer to what I hoped Sea would be but...well, we play these games in particular for the story and I kinda miss the Neath, just...not enough to pick up the version of Sea that I remember.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 7, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dallan Invictus posted:

So, for some silly reason (probably "I am a huge fan of Fallen London's story and setting") past me backed this on Kickstarter despite having shelved Sunless Sea years ago (I think the last time I played was in 2015), but it turns out I'm really enjoying this so far and it definitely feels easier to get a foothold in than Sea.

But that makes me wonder (and I can't find a thread for Sea so I figured I'd ask here) - did any of the Sunless Sea patches make the game even slightly less tedious or impenetrable to actually play? There's a lot I like about the idea of playing it, and Skies seems so far to be a lot closer to what I hoped Sea would be but...well, we play these games in particular for the story and I kinda miss the Neath, just...not enough to pick up the version of Sea that I remember.

Speaking as someone who loves Sunless Sea and has spent hours upon hours playing it: No, they did not.

The key to making Sunless Sea playable is:

A) having an encyclopedic knowledge of which events will give you early in game echoes

B) save scumming

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Reveilled posted:

I do kind of miss the amorality of Sunless Sea, in all honesty. In the Neath it really did feel like there was no such thing as right and wrong, I thought it did a very good job of conveying the idea that down in the neath, normal human notions of good and evil just literally don't apply, like trying to apply morality to spiders. By contrast, Albion just exudes evil, but like, regular human evil, just souped up by eldritch power, and I liked that Sea mostly set that notion to one side. Of course I understand that in the context of the universe's lore this makes a lot of sense given that Albion is lit by a sun which pumps out upper class Victorian morality as constant truths, etc. etc.

Yeah, I was having that problem too. Then I visited Eleutheria. I’m good now, that hit the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anybody gone through the clay conductor's story? I built him a companion at the forge and he agreed to stay on my ship, promoting him to +10 mirrors. However, I already have a +10 mirrors first officer. Was there an alternative path? Perhaps to do with singing yourself?