Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh yeah and the game is buggy. Seriously it took less then 5 minutes for me to crash the game. Well it took however long it was to get to character creation. Bugs are okay but they do put me in a state of mind to be less tolerant to the whole gently caress you the world is harsh aesthetic. Of course the world is harsh aesthetic also puts me in a less tolerant mood for bugs. I seem to recall Sunless Sea being buggy as well.

So yeah we have the crashing bug. Maps not loading or selecting a different area then I'm in. My scout button not doing anything. Loading issues, in that sometimes it'll hiccup to load new stuff (My computer is good enough this shouldn't happen possibly Origin or something hogging my cpu/memory but I'm going to blame the game). It's the little things.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so in seas, does all the weird poo poo get explained kinda? I just made it to the bigass gemstone thing that has like copies of people or something and that place seems cool as poo poo, when i went back with a report the dude was just like oh hmmm. can i learn more about whats going on there

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Having fun with it so far but it's kinda running like poo poo. Like I'm getting big frame problems on a semi-decent GPU on low. It really doesn't seem like it should be that taxing.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

queeb posted:

so in seas, does all the weird poo poo get explained kinda? I just made it to the bigass gemstone thing that has like copies of people or something and that place seems cool as poo poo, when i went back with a report the dude was just like oh hmmm. can i learn more about whats going on there

Kinda is a good word. It’s a lot like Darksouls, in that if you explore everything and pay very close attention then you get enough information to work out just what the gently caress is going on, but it sure as hell isn’t going to make it easy for you.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah, the setting doesn't lean on exposition. You're supposed to just roll with everything.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I suspect the bugs are some sort of computer-specific thing because I haven't been seeing any. Not that they shouldn't have been found anyways but that's why the thread isn't talking a ton about bugs--most of us aren't seeing any

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I suspect the bugs are some sort of computer-specific thing because I haven't been seeing any. Not that they shouldn't have been found anyways but that's why the thread isn't talking a ton about bugs--most of us aren't seeing any

Yes well that's two difference computers being talked about. Now I haven't really taken note of what bug was on what computer and whether or not they've both had the same bug. When I looked for a solution to the character creation crashing bug I found out that it's a known issue so it's not just me.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

queeb posted:

I don't think there is ever a direct 'all right, so here's what's going on' explanation for stuff, just conjecture and 'hmm, that makes sense' kinds of theorizing. Like Sandwich Anarchist said, just roll with things- devils are demon bees, souls are a commodity, and as long as you don't see the suns you won't have to worry about death that tiny, little bit less.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

frest posted:

I had a question, for anyone that's had further dealings with Mr Pennies in Lustrum:

What happens if you choose to end his operation on the mountain?
IIRC, you get a Searing Enigma and a soul flaw out of it.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
There's an underlying explanation for literally everything and if you collect enough pieces of the puzzle you can find it. At least, that was the way with Fallen London and Sunless Sea, but I'm not deep enough in the game to see whether they've retained that magic without Alexis Kennedy.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

One thing I’m missing in Sunless Skies is a long, esoteric and punishing quest ala SMEN or going East in Sea. I assume this is due to Alexis Kennedy no longer being involved, but it’d be nice if something similar were added down the road.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Dallan Invictus posted:

So, for some silly reason (probably "I am a huge fan of Fallen London's story and setting") past me backed this on Kickstarter despite having shelved Sunless Sea years ago (I think the last time I played was in 2015), but it turns out I'm really enjoying this so far and it definitely feels easier to get a foothold in than Sea.

But that makes me wonder (and I can't find a thread for Sea so I figured I'd ask here) - did any of the Sunless Sea patches make the game even slightly less tedious or impenetrable to actually play? There's a lot I like about the idea of playing it, and Skies seems so far to be a lot closer to what I hoped Sea would be but...well, we play these games in particular for the story and I kinda miss the Neath, just...not enough to pick up the version of Sea that I remember.

Patches: no
Mods: yes
There are actually a bunch of difficulty/grind altering mods for sunless sea out there, enough that you can really tailor your experience. I bounced off sea hard when it first came out, but I came back recently, modded it to be about half as grindy and had a much better time. Just check the sunless sea mod nexus, there will be stuff there.
Edit: there's no fixing the journal though - you're still going to have to keep notes of what ports need/sell what, and of what your current quests are.

vmdvr fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 7, 2019

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

while my first playthrough is as a loyal servant of the Crown, blowing up the Dawn Machine 2.0 does strike me as a remarkably efficient way to bring about the Liberation of Night, at least locally

While a good idea... It is also an irrelevant one. The clockwork sun is going to die. It was an angry little thing in sunless sea, yes, but the reason it's gone outright nuts, vitrifying anything nearby is because it's dying and completely terrified about it. There's nothing that can be done.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

NewMars posted:

While a good idea... It is also an irrelevant one. The clockwork sun is going to die. It was an angry little thing in sunless sea, yes, but the reason it's gone outright nuts, vitrifying anything nearby is because it's dying and completely terrified about it. There's nothing that can be done.

Man, this is going to sound weird, but I feel so much pity and sympathy for the clockwork sun (and the dawn machine that came before it): it was made for selfish reasons by people who had no idea how to take care of it; people who thought of it as just a tool as opposed to the living thinking thing that it is. Now it spends its life in constant pain, slowly dying, with no friends, family, or future. No wonder it wants to destroy us all, I'd hate humanity too if that was me. It's like a neglected child lashing out at its abusive parents. Forget helping the British empire, I wish there was some way you could help that poor sun :smith:

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

queeb posted:

Sooorta. It does help to have knowledge of the big picture questions that Fallen London asks and the lore it builds. You may learn what the Stone Pigs are, as a matter of fact, but without the context of FL and knowledge of the setting the significance of that revelation can be lost. Same with what is at the bottom of Nuncio; the sentence down there is delicious, but I never really saw its place in the bigger puzzle until I knew there was a bigger puzzle.

Things like What is the Liberation of Night? Why is a Clockwork Sun so wildly hosed up? Wait, the Suns aren't just Suns, they do what? What is the Mountain of Light? You'll find out eventually. Sunless Skies is a bit weird to me because they just outright answer some of those questions and the cosmology and premise is much different but I'm still digging it.

In Seas the more you return the an area and the further you go into each areas story the more you will see the Bad Things going on. Direct answers are rare, inferences are a plenty. I'm a big fan of the screenshot button.

Edit: The only bug I've truly needed fixed in the game so far are the little tackity ship AI getting broken leaving them just sorta wiggling in place. Now normally that wouldn't be a problem, but EVERY time they decide to change course in their infinite wiggling they play that loud rear end hosed up engine noise. God help me if there is more than one of those fuckers on the screen, the noise is awful. They're lucky I'm a radical otherwise I'd have to sign up with the Queen and end the war in favor of those with less noisy engines.

Wrr fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 7, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Man, this is going to sound weird, but I feel so much pity and sympathy for the clockwork sun (and the dawn machine that came before it): it was made for selfish reasons by people who had no idea how to take care of it; people who thought of it as just a tool as opposed to the living thinking thing that it is. Now it spends its life in constant pain, slowly dying, with no friends, family, or future. No wonder it wants to destroy us all, I'd hate humanity too if that was me. It's like a neglected child lashing out at its abusive parents. Forget helping the British empire, I wish there was some way you could help that poor sun :smith:

it's not remotely that sympathetic, since it also has the same megalomania as the rest of the Judgements (probably even more so, because it's a false star and so it has more to prove), and refuses to allow anyone even the opportunity to repair it because admitting that it's breaking down would mean admitting its imperfection to itself

the higher entities of the Fallen London universe tend to be a mixed bag at the best of times, but there's almost zero sympathetic qualities to be found in the Judgements, and that includes the Dawn Machine

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Wrr posted:

Sooorta. It does help to have knowledge of the big picture questions that Fallen London asks and the lore it builds. You may learn what the Stone Pigs are, as a matter of fact, but without the context of FL and knowledge of the setting the significance of that revelation can be lost. Same with what is at the bottom of Nuncio; the sentence down there is delicious, but I never really saw its place in the bigger puzzle until I knew there was a bigger puzzle.

Things like What is the Liberation of Night? Why is a Clockwork Sun so wildly hosed up? Wait, the Suns aren't just Suns, they do what? What is the Mountain of Light? You'll find out eventually. Sunless Skies is a bit weird to me because they just outright answer some of those questions and the cosmology and premise is much different but I'm still digging it.

In Seas the more you return the an area and the further you go into each areas story the more you will see the Bad Things going on. Direct answers are rare, inferences are a plenty. I'm a big fan of the screenshot button.

Edit: The only bug I've truly needed fixed in the game so far are the little tackity ship AI getting broken leaving them just sorta wiggling in place. Now normally that wouldn't be a problem, but EVERY time they decide to change course in their infinite wiggling they play that loud rear end hosed up engine noise. God help me if there is more than one of those fuckers on the screen, the noise is awful. They're lucky I'm a radical otherwise I'd have to sign up with the Queen and end the war in favor of those with less noisy engines.

Is there some kind of resource like a wiki or whatever that makes it easier to put stuff you find into context

e: story stuff in particular i know theres a wiki that mostly seems to focus on game mechanics

dangerdoom volvo fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 7, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Is there some kind of resource like a wiki or whatever that makes it easier to put stuff you find into context

e: story stuff in particular i know theres a wiki that mostly seems to focus on game mechanics

http://saint-arthur.tumblr.com/

This blog helps, a lot. Also, this thread might be able to answer some of your questions, feel free to ask.

Oxxidation posted:

it's not remotely that sympathetic, since it also has the same megalomania as the rest of the Judgements (probably even more so, because it's a false star and so it has more to prove), and refuses to allow anyone even the opportunity to repair it because admitting that it's breaking down would mean admitting its imperfection to itself

the higher entities of the Fallen London universe tend to be a mixed bag at the best of times, but there's almost zero sympathetic qualities to be found in the Judgements, and that includes the Dawn Machine

Yeah, you're right. I still feel bad for it though, despite the fact it would absolutely find my pity disgusting and would undoubtedly turn me to glass for daring to think it was in any way imperfect.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
If I finish one of the ambitions and end the game, would I be able to start a new captain with a new ambition with the same map/ship/gold/etc(sort of like when you die), or does that just end that game entirely? Apparently I hosed around in the Reach for so long that as soon as I dipped my toe into Albion I'm able to finish the game with the book writing ambition if I want. I'm kind of interested in actually finishing the game and switching to a new captain with the Terrible Secret of Space ambition, but not if it means starting from scratch on a new map.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

El Cid posted:

If I finish one of the ambitions and end the game, would I be able to start a new captain with a new ambition with the same map/ship/gold/etc(sort of like when you die), or does that just end that game entirely? Apparently I hosed around in the Reach for so long that as soon as I dipped my toe into Albion I'm able to finish the game with the book writing ambition if I want. I'm kind of interested in actually finishing the game and switching to a new captain with the Terrible Secret of Space ambition, but not if it means starting from scratch on a new map.

No, you keep everything you would when you die. So same map, ship, 50% of your gold, discovered locations XP plus 50% of remaining XP, and all items at the bank.

Protip—put all of your items in the bank before you die and spend all your remaining money on commodities. You keep 100% of your items but only 50% of your money.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
One thing I'm starting to find a little wearing about this game is how many of the ports seemingly have a single story which is time gated in exactly the same way. In Perdurance you're limited by the passage of the day. In Worlebury-Juxta-Mare, you are limited by the condition of your clothes. In Brabazon, you are limited by the ticking of your clock. In Caduceus, you are limited by the condition of the roses. You can't possibly see the whole story in one go round, and when you go round again, you're picking the same options until something new shows up, which means you're reading stuff you've already read before, which lessens any impact it had. That wouldn't be an issue if there was more than one thing happening at these ports, but often "continue the megastory" is the only thing you can actually do at these ports of any consequence. I think it took me 4 times through Worlebury before the "seen some weird poo poo in Worlebury" counter ticked up high enough to allow me to have a look at the weird poo poo, by which point I'd spent three visits clicking through repeat text and was kind of losing interest in Worlebury as a location.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Josef bugman posted:

Ooooh!

What happens when it reaches 0? Or 100 for that matter?

100 is very easy and gets you an achievement. You probably need it at 100 to initiate some quest somewhere, insofar as there's an early one that takes at least 40, but the 40 check is the only one I've seen.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I just picked this up a couple of days ago, and with my work being closed due to hellish weather I played a shitload in the last two days. I like it.

I played a lot of Sunless Sea and was trying to play this in the same way, but ended up dying really quickly for my first three captains. Exploration seems a lot more dangerous due in part to limited hold space and supplies costing a lot to a new captain. My fourth captain is currently almost ready to finish the Song of the Sky, but I haven't touched two of the four regions so I'll probably put it off and hope I don't die immediately upon entering one of them.

Combat and movement in general is a lot better in this one compared to Sea, but the world seems a lot more spread out with less interesting stuff to see while exploring so far, although I've only explored The Reach and Albion.

BBJoey posted:

One thing I’m missing in Sunless Skies is a long, esoteric and punishing quest ala SMEN or going East in Sea. I assume this is due to Alexis Kennedy no longer being involved, but it’d be nice if something similar were added down the road.

I've come across a few more involved quests so far, but nothing that felt quite so epic as some of the longer ones in Seas, I agree. Considering going East was an end-game thing in Seas though, maybe they just come later?

Certainly nothing like SMEN though. Haha, yeah, good old SMEN, my favourite.
(What the gently caress is SMEN?)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Hobojim posted:

Certainly nothing like SMEN though. Haha, yeah, good old SMEN, my favourite.
(What the gently caress is SMEN?)

Seeking Mr Eaten's Name, a story from Fallen London which is apparently in a similar vein as Sailing East.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

There is! https://thefifthcity.fandom.com/wiki/ I've been reading it a bit over the last day.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Reveilled posted:

Seeking Mr Eaten's Name, a story from Fallen London which is apparently in a similar vein as Sailing East.

In that completing it permanently kills your character

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
If memory serves, Sailing East wasn't actually implemented at release for Sunless Sea? They patched it in later along with the Carnelian Exile's stuff.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

frest posted:

If memory serves, Sailing East wasn't actually implemented at release for Sunless Sea? They patched it in later along with the Carnelian Exile's stuff.

Carnelian Exile's quest is Sailing East.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

vetinari100 posted:

Carnelian Exile's quest is Sailing East.

Right, and that officer's storyline wasn't implemented at release. It was added shortly after.

E: Looking at it now, AK announces it was added in a patch on 02/27/2015: Exaltation, the same one that nerfed sunlight smuggling.

My point being, just because the game doesn't currently have a SMEN-style quest /right now/ doesn't mean that it never will.

frest fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 7, 2019

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Has anyone else seen what lies beyond Death's Door in the blue kingdom?

It absolutely convinced me that the liberation of night is justified and every single judgement has to die. :stonk:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

NewMars posted:

It absolutely convinced me that the liberation of night is justified and every single judgement has to die. :stonk:

I haven't been, but does it finally confirm that the judgments are eating souls? Or is it something even worse?

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

NewMars posted:

Yes but did it make the rest of the Blue Kingdom worth it?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

I haven't been, but does it finally confirm that the judgments are eating souls? Or is it something even worse?

Well. Yes, but it's even worse than you'd think. They don't merely eat them, they have their servitors vivisect them to get at the best bits before destroying the rest in a fashion not unlike an assembly line. This is also what the entirety of the blue kingdom, it's thousands of years to get ahead are meant to be about, too: it's all just to make you taste slightly better. Seeing this happen, mind, is the biggest terror gain in the game: +50 terror.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Reveilled posted:

Seeking Mr Eaten's Name, a story from Fallen London which is apparently in a similar vein as Saili
ng East.
I had to click a single button which would instantly (none permanently) kill my character. It was not guaranteed to give me an increment in the quality I was trying to increase to 7.

I believe had to do the same for something that would send me to the tomb colonies.

My opportunity deck was filled with black lined cards which I could not discard. I had to play them to do things such as paying a man to remove my teeth so I could swallow them. All the opportunities hurt badly.

I clicked a single button and my Watchful dropped from 200 to 98. I'd wager it took at least half a year, if not more, to build that skill up.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I spent several hundred echoes worth of stuff on an action which I, based on having 200+ watchful, had a 25~% chance of success on. Failure or Success both cost me the items, second chances did not work, and the only reward of success was to add 1 to a counter I needed to hit 77, and to increase the difficulty of the next attempt. I did this dozens of times.

I also permanently removed my ability to have a Profession, Ambition, Destiny or Notability and I cut my own head off.

SMEN is fun.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Wrr posted:

My opportunity deck was filled with black lined cards which I could not discard. I had to play them to do things such as paying a man to remove my teeth so I could swallow them.

:gonk: jesus loving christ

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

:gonk: jesus loving christ

There is a reason that every single path to Seeking the Name is labeled with something along the lines of Do not do this. There is no gain here. You will severely damage your character at least and possibly render them completely unplayable. This is not a joke, this is not a dare, we are dead serious, don't do it.

That's why it so godamn terrifying that the Princess just casually recognizes the candle she's given to help on her quSEVENISTHENUMBERSEVENISTHENUMBERSEVENISTHENUMBERSEVENISTHENUMBERSEVENISTHENUMBERSEVENISTHENUMBERSEVENISTHENUMBERA reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 7, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

NewMars posted:

Well. Yes, but it's even worse than you'd think. They don't merely eat them, they have their servitors vivisect them to get at the best bits before destroying the rest in a fashion not unlike an assembly line. This is also what the entirety of the blue kingdom, it's thousands of years to get ahead are meant to be about, too: it's all just to make you taste slightly better. Seeing this happen, mind, is the biggest terror gain in the game: +50 terror.

Great chain of being? More like FOOD chain of EATING! Am I right folks?! :downsrim: But seriously, that sounds awesome and terrifying and I'm excited to experience that story-line after years of foreshadowing....but in order to do that I guess I'm going to have to go back to the Blue Kingdom and deal with all of its bullshit....which sucks....why must such good writing be hidden behind such irritating game design?!

Anyway, if you want to kill all the judgement I think that's a thing you can totally do in game, but I'm not sure how? Probably start by talking to the Calendar Council and The Halved. If you figure it out before I do let me know, I've been searching for a way to commit star genocide.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Stroth posted:

There is a reason that every single path to Seeking the Name is labeled with something along the lines of Do not do this. There is no gain here. You will severely damage your character at least and possibly render them completely unplayable. This is not a joke, this is not a dare, we are dead serious, don't do it.

It's actually funny that, for all that SMEN is an insane death spiral towards destroying your character permanently, it's actually incredibly easy to get out of. There's literally a button you can press that is just "NOPE", and it'll pull you out immediately. You won't get back what you've lost, but you also won't lose any more, and it's available right up until the very, very end. Hell, backing out at the last possible second actually gets you a very nice prize, although depending on how you did things you may or may not have already permanently destroyed your own ability to use it.

There's genuinely nothing keeping you on SMEN other than your own desire to see what happens if you keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Great chain of being? More like FOOD chain of EATING! Am I right folks?! :downsrim: But seriously, that sounds awesome and terrifying and I'm excited to experience that story-line after years of foreshadowing....but in order to do that I guess I'm going to have to go back to the Blue Kingdom and deal with all of its bullshit....which sucks....why must such good writing be hidden behind such irritating game design?!

Anyway, if you want to kill all the judgement I think that's a thing you can totally do in game, but I'm not sure how? Probably start by talking to the Calendar Council and The Halved. If you figure it out before I do let me know, I've been searching for a way to commit star genocide.

I don't know about all, but this is basically what the Truth ambition is about.

Edit: also you can just sail through Death's Door. It's at the north end of the map and it's like going past the clockwork sun or out into the east in Sunless Sea.