Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

How much more dangerous is Eleutheria or Blue Kingdom compared to Albion?

Minor Albion spoilers below:

With my first captain I went to Albion on an un-upgraded boat with 5 supplies because I stupidly assumed that there'd be a port that sold supplies right next to the portal, because that'd be rational, and then it turned out the two ports within bat-range of the portal only sold fuel and I starved to death before I found London. It's especially bad when you can't send out a scout to find supplies because you don't have the supplies to send our the scout.

I'm on a new captain, I'm upgrading to a strong Albion boat with a bunch of upgraded stuff and plenty of supplies, I have little left outside of Eleutheria - is there anything I should be absolutely aware of so that I don't gently caress over my game situation right away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

super sweet best pal posted:

This game's got pretty good stories overall but it's a disaster as far as gameplay is concerned. If it wasn't so slow and needlessly restrictive with stats and equipment it'd be a lot better.

I was willing to look past the problems with Sunless Sea, with the slowness being more of a caveat, but Sunless Skies aggressively refused to learn from what I consider Sea's mistakes.

Yeah, I dunno. I got done with most of the stuff in Albion, and I should be setting up to go to Eleuthruria and the Blue Kingdom, but I'm getting really tired of the game's formula of "we gave you a paragraph of writing, now go do busywork for fifteen minutes and we'll give you the next paragraph", occasionally interspersed with "oh, and this busywork is frustrating and you'll have to save-scum", and I can't shake the expectation that moving to the next area will be a lot of frustrating save-scumming, so I've kind of given up.

It doesn't help that, a) as someone who didn't play much of FE, so much of the later writing seems to be Proper Nouns without context followed by implications and between the lines reading you must do with that completely bounce off me that I'm finding most of the results actually disinteresting; b) most plots seem to be "do several hours of work to end up having to make a single choice with nothing other than vague feelings to guide you, and your decision invariably is wrong and bad" which is fine once or twice but as the result of everything is really just unfun; and c) most of the good equipment and weapons are gated behind 75 loving stat points and at level 14 I've barely got one above 50 and the results of quests seems to be removing stats because the game hates me.