Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Android Apocalypse posted:

I wish Okung the best in his recovery & hope he eventually plays football again :unsmith:

3 months of blood thinners and he should be cleared to resume training/practicing

indigi posted:

shouldn't a pre camp physical be finding things like blood clots?

Football players aren't really at high risk of developing thromboembolisms so no, it wouldnt be something to screen players for. Risk factors include long periods of immobility (eg: being laid up in a hospital bed), malignant cancers, recent surgeries, family history, oral contraceptives, smoking, old age. Short of family history, no NFL player would meet any of these criteria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Patriots aren’t gonna spend the money it would take to land him.

Is 2019 Mike Daniels even an upgrade for the pats? The d-line was pretty solid last year, they added Mike Pennel, and Daniels took a step back from what I see

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

indigi posted:

shouldn't a pre camp physical be finding things like blood clots?

There's no good test to see if you have one. Closest is what's called a D-Dimer, which we're taught is completely worthless unless you're trying to rule OUT a clot/PE, but any professional athlete is going to test positive at all times for it.

Diagnosing DVTs is made clinically and confirmed with an US. A person coming off vacation into training camp isn't going to have one unless something is wrong, so you're not going to screen for it. That's unless they show up with like a bright red calf, pain, elevated pulse etc.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Football players aren't really at high risk of developing thromboembolisms so no, it wouldnt be something to screen players for. Risk factors include long periods of immobility (eg: being laid up in a hospital bed), malignant cancers, recent surgeries, family history, oral contraceptives, smoking, old age. Short of family history, no NFL player would meet any of these criteria

This is false.

Long bone fractures, air travel, and stasis are 3 of the 6 or so biggest contributors to PE. Every NFL player is at risk for this.

I guarantee patients that have serious injuries on the road are anticoagulated before they fly home.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

NFL players don't meet the criteria of having recent surgeries?

Deshaun Watson I thought had something similar to this which is why he had to travel by bus like a massive distance to get to a game

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Kalli posted:

Here's Steve:

Its like Jay from Jay and Silent Bob and Andrew Luck had a baby boy.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
RE: blood clot chat. This doc did a series of videos on blood clots in basketball players which is cool. Generally pro-follow on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBlRx06O9vE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCke2xdymxc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAryvlRZaf0

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Play posted:

Deshaun Watson I thought had something similar to this which is why he had to travel by bus like a massive distance to get to a game

I thought his lung collapsed or something and if he flew he would have lost the lung permanently

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/Chargers/status/1154447916137758721?s=19

:3:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Jay and Silent Bill

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

I thought his lung collapsed or something and if he flew he would have lost the lung permanently

It's actually kind of mysterious, because he was reported to have a broken rib and partially collapsed lung but he actually denied that. The injury report simply read "chest injury", but yeah maybe it wasn't the same thing. If it was a lung issue though it's the same in the sense that it's an injury that could be exacerbated by changes in air pressure.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Supposedly Malcolm Butler was benched because he shoved little old Steve the night before the Super Bowl. Which is a really lame story. I prefer that rumor that it was because Butler slept with one or both of Bill's twin step daughters.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Supposedly Malcolm Butler was benched because he shoved little old Steve the night before the Super Bowl. Which is a really lame story. I prefer that rumor that it was because Butler slept with one or both of Bill's twin step daughters.

such a shame they're probably both republican.

Nov 6, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

such a shame they're probably both republican.

They are influencers so I don't think they dedicate a lot of brain cells to politics.

https://www.instagram.com/thehesstwins/?hl=en

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
They look like Hugo Weaving with the female faceapp filter

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

They are influencers

big deal so am i

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/PLeonardNYDN/status/1154472921441734657

Play
Apr 25, 2006

i influence all kinds of things. mostly noses in my immediate vicinity

Nov 6, 2002

Almost as bad as your first career pass being a pick six.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
That was a beautiful sprial at least

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Almost as bad as your first career pass being a pick six.

It wasn't just an INT, it was a pick six in fact lol

e: god dammit you changed it

Daniel Jones is a loving joke though. Darnold could throw ten pick sixes in a row and I'd still have more confidence in him

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

We probably should make a new thread for training camp. Feel free to do that anyone if you want. Or just wait until the HoF game or whatever.

Because we need thousands of these:

https://twitter.com/TomRock_Newsday/status/1154475163204956160

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kalli posted:

We probably should make a new thread for training camp. Feel free to do that anyone if you want. Or just wait until the HoF game or whatever.

Because we need thousands of these:

https://twitter.com/TomRock_Newsday/status/1154475163204956160

He probably can't top Hackenberg for pure incompetence, but apparently it won't be for lack of trying!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Julian Edelman was at least a dual-threat QB at Kent State, Danny Etling was not

at Purdue OR LSU

e: Edelman's college rushing stats, for comparison

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

It was probably because he sucks and was one of the worst starting CBs in the league.

Why did the Titans give him a monster contract again?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

They look like Hugo Weaving with the female faceapp filter

That's just the Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert

https://youtu.be/ZreZzV7y18Y

Play
Apr 25, 2006

MrLogan posted:

It was probably because he sucks and was one of the worst starting CBs in the league.

Why did the Titans give him a monster contract again?

Because they're loving dumb I guess. Any idiot could've pointed out that wasn't gonna work, and most of the idiots here actually did so

I like that coaching staff and front office, generally they don't make big mistakes like that but boy that was a doozy

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

They are influencers so I don't think they dedicate a lot of brain cells to politics.

23K followers, psssh trash tier

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Butler got an interception in the final play of the game against Washington and ran it in for a touchdown just to be a dick, worth every penny in my book.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FizFashizzle posted:

There's no good test to see if you have one. Closest is what's called a D-Dimer, which we're taught is completely worthless unless you're trying to rule OUT a clot/PE, but any professional athlete is going to test positive at all times for it.

Diagnosing DVTs is made clinically and confirmed with an US. A person coming off vacation into training camp isn't going to have one unless something is wrong, so you're not going to screen for it. That's unless they show up with like a bright red calf, pain, elevated pulse etc.

This is false.

Long bone fractures, air travel, and stasis are 3 of the 6 or so biggest contributors to PE. Every NFL player is at risk for this.

I guarantee patients that have serious injuries on the road are anticoagulated before they fly home.

An nfl player with a long bone fx isnt gonna pass his physical, so that's kinda irrelevant. The risk of VTE only really becomes significant after flights lasting 8+ hours. Yeah maybe if the guy is coming back from a trip to Japan it could be worth consideration. But all the flights a player is gonna take with his team are a couple hours, tops. And Im not sure what you mean by "stasis". Venous stasis? Thats secondary to prolonged immobility .. not something an active player is really gonna be at risk for.

Play posted:

The bigger the surgery the bigger the risk. The types of surgeries most NFL players would get are short, arthroscopic affairs. An additional risk, to be sure, but a small one compared to, say, an open heart procedure. And keep in mind, I was responding to the poster who asked why they didn't screen all players for venous blood clots/pulmonary embolisms. If a player was at high risk (ie: 2+ risk factors) he probably wouldn't be undergoing a preseason physical. Hence no need to perform a VTE/PE screen. Not to say that no NFL players are ever at risk for blood clots

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 25, 2019

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Butler was bad during the first half of the season but actually played pretty well in the second half

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

Butler was bad during the first half of the season but actually played pretty well in the second half

I'm pretty sure they adjusted the scheme because he was playing so lovely. Made sure there was always help over the top because he was getting beaten horribly at least once a game for massive plays

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Metapod posted:

Yeah, per the FO Almanac:

quote:

The optimistic case for Adoree’ Jackson was that teams would go from targeting him often as a rookie to avoiding him in his second season. That was not the case, as he went from the most-targeted corner in the NFL to just one of the most targeted while maintaining average coverage numbers. 🏈 Malcolm Butler’s transition to Tennessee was rough, with blown coverage leading to long touchdowns a too-common early sight. He began the season as a starter, but shifted to an outside role in nickel coverages and was much better the second half of the season. 🏈 Logan Ryan had his second consecutive season with no interceptions, though the passes defensed total again suggests they will be coming. 🏈 Expect Kevin Byard to get a mega-extension around the time this book is released. His mediocre stats are a product of his role as often the last line of defense as a free safety. He is one of the best all-around safeties in the league, capable in man coverage, coming up in run support, as a blitzer, or as a deep safety. 🏈 Kenny Vaccaro was a training camp addition after Johnathan Cyprien tore his ACL and played well enough at strong safety to lead to Cyprien’s release and a four-year, $26-million extension for himself. He is not as versatile as Byard but was a key part of the Titans’ improvement against tight ends.

Also I just learned &.#127944 without the dot makes a lil' football, so that's cool.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

An nfl player with a long bone fx isnt gonna pass his physical, so that's kinda irrelevant.
I wasn't referring specifically to precamp physicals, just in general.

quote:

The risk of VTE only really becomes significant after flights lasting 8+ hours. Yeah maybe if the guy is coming back from a trip to Japan it could be worth consideration. But all the flights a player is gonna take with his team are a couple hours, tops.
RIP the Bucs and Jags.

also because I got curious

quote:

CONCLUSION Travel is associated with a nearly 3-fold higher risk for VTE, with a dose-response relationship of 18% higher risk for each 2-hour increase in travel duration. Heterogeneity in results of previous studies was due to selection bias toward the null from use of referred control participants.
https://www.uptodate.com/contents/prevention-of-venous-thromboembolism-in-adult-travelers/abstract/9

quote:

And Im not sure what you mean by "stasis". Venous stasis? Thats secondary to prolonged immobility .. not something an active player is really gonna be at risk for.
stasis is just being laid up with an injury.

but yeah i think i misread you.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kalli posted:

Yeah, per the FO Almanac:

Also I just learned &.#127944 without the dot makes a lil' football, so that's cool.

The defense is going to be really good assuming the pass rush isn't bad (which is possible because who knows if Landry can handle an increased load or if wake can be good as a 34 edge rusher)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Alaois posted:

Julian Edelman was at least a dual-threat QB at Kent State, Danny Etling was not

at Purdue OR LSU

e: Edelman's college rushing stats, for comparison

I like the dude and wish him the best, but he is no Taysom Hill.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7xt5lj9coQ

I count 13 touchdowns, 12 incomplete passes, 13 first downs, 3 long completions and 1 interception.

Seems like a pretty drat good ratio to me, maybe teams should bust this out a bit more. Seems like a great way to get a guy open downfield and complete a big play, especially if the normal offense is struggling a bit.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stop protecting WRs so much, imo.

Let them get punished for daring to cross the middle of the field.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Randaconda posted:

Stop protecting WRs so much, imo.

Let them get punished for daring to cross the middle of the field.

Or just let DBs press again.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

They're also DJ's don't sell them short. Truly renaissance women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

what do they influence exactly