Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

i got excited for a second because the tyson that beat the poo poo out of roy would kill jake paul. the only reason roy made it out of there is because tyson carried him.

then reality came crashing in with this post.

kimbo305 posted:

3.5y ago, drat :negative:

I dunno, what's changed between like 54ish and 57? I've seen tons of very sharp declines happen around the mid 30s where 34 to 37 seems like a completely different fighter, but 20 years later? I actually have no clue, maybe it isn't much of a difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I’m not sure there’s anything common physiologically in that time period. It’s closer in effect to 50-53 than 30-33.
For me, it’s recent clips of him hitting the pads. Maybe he’s not fully geared up yet, but the coordination and power is a far cry from what i saw out of him leading up to Jones. If he’s close to the peak, he looks survivable by Paul, about where Anderson Silva was.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Brut posted:

I dunno, what's changed between like 54ish and 57? I've seen tons of very sharp declines happen around the mid 30s where 34 to 37 seems like a completely different fighter, but 20 years later? I actually have no clue, maybe it isn't much of a difference?

honestly have no idea. maybe not as drastic as the mid 30s crash but tyson has so many miles on him already i can't even pretend to know how he'll look in the ring in 2024.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The big issue is that even if Tyson has a pretty good chance to win an initial blitz, the far less satisfying reality is that Paul tastes his power, gets scared, then plays defensive until Tyson loses steam.

Like, Tyson doesn't just have some of the old Magic, Paul also has to be stupid or arrogant enough to stand and trade, whereas he's actually a super tall high school tier wrestler so he's definitely just gonna lay and pray until the heat's off. Can't wait to see Tyson land one surprisingly good uppercut then get laid on for several rounds and Paul declared the winner. Then 12 year olds can make tik toks of just where tyson first punches paul and the chad music plays.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jack B Nimble posted:

The big issue is that even if Tyson has a pretty good chance to win an initial blitz, the far less satisfying reality is that Paul tastes his power, gets scared, then plays defensive until Tyson loses steam.

Like, Tyson doesn't just have some of the old Magic, Paul also has to be stupid or arrogant enough to stand and trade, whereas he's actually a super tall high school tier wrestler so he's definitely just gonna lay and pray until the heat's off. Can't wait to see Tyson land one surprisingly good uppercut then get laid on for several rounds and Paul declared the winner. Then 12 year olds can make tik toks of just where tyson first punches paul and the chad music plays.

it's a boxing match

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tyson has a very solid claim to be in the list of the greatest fighters of all time, will still have all of the fight intelligence, muscle memory and theoretical skill to be better than anyone Paul has ever stepped in the ring with, even though his body won't let those brain signals connect as quickly or resolutely as they did back in the day.

But to hope that's going to matter against a 27 year old rich enough to pay excellent trainers to become a professional boxer despite a lack of natural ability and the sources & advice needed to cycle properly is probably copium.
All this will ever prove is that if you're rich enough, you can also get good enough to beat up a legendary boxer with a 30 year age gap over you.

The allure of the "what if" Tyson can a moment of his prime out of the bag and kill Paul dead is going to sell gangbusters, and everyone will come out of it feeling depressed when Tyson looks like a 58 year old.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i will steal the fight because of the real chance that tyson beats the loving poo poo out of him. also i think it will do me good now that i'm past what is usually considered a person's physical prime to remind myself why i should be holding pads and not throwing hands so either outcome makes it worth a watch for me.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jake Paul is just so beneath my interest. They could return Shogun back to his prime and have him massacre Jake in Pride rules and I still wouldn't want to watch it.

Has he given up on his title aspirations or is this just some sideshow bullshit he can do while one of the orgs figures out how to make that legit?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

My first thought when I heard about the fight was that neither man will be trying all that hard during the actually bout.

Does that seem like a reasonable assumption?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

TheKingslayer posted:

Jake Paul is just so beneath my interest. They could return Shogun back to his prime and have him massacre Jake in Pride rules and I still wouldn't want to watch it.

Has he given up on his title aspirations or is this just some sideshow bullshit he can do while one of the orgs figures out how to make that legit?

He had recently signed a deal with DAZN for his promotion MVP who broadcast his last 2 fights against "professional" boxers so I think it's just that Netflix drove a dump truck of money to him and Mike to get a splashy event to promote the fact that they are moving into live sports along with their WWE deal.

Unless he knocks out or is knocked out in some crazy way I assume he will return to fighting nobodies on these small scale shows with the occasional event like this (e.g. a fight with KSI or a rematch with Tommy Fury)

coathat
May 21, 2007

The Francis v Anthony Joshua undercard just started on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEJ1PMyIaL8

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

coathat posted:

The Francis v Anthony Joshua undercard just started on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEJ1PMyIaL8

walkouts for the main fight are supposed to be like 6 est right?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Yeah around then.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

oh i thought that was tomorrow. it being tonight is sweet

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've been getting AJ ads from his actual twitter account on twitter that have 30 likes lol

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Vargas v ball is a good fight so far.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Lmao split draw!!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

thread title.

Every time I forget why I don't watch more boxing and start thinking that I'll put more effort into it, boxing makes goddamn sure to remind me why I don't watch it more.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I thought you meant the main event, but stil lololol

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

A draw on that fight was fair honestly. I had Ball winning on KDs but Vargas banked the first 6 rounds so you only need to give him one in the second half for the draw

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Big punch go boop

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Oh wow, this one snuck up on me and didn't realize Ngannou was fighting tonight. Still of the opinion that the thawb looks comfy as hell

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

AJ looking like a Greek sculpture

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Parker 8-4 imo, enough to compensate for the 2kds

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
how the gently caress did Zhang think he had that

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lets go francis

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
dont like that

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

dumbass switch to southpaw, trying to parry every feint

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Oh my god that KO

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Wow

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

YEESH

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

lol

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

oh

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

oof, I was expecting Ngannou to lose but not nearly that bad

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Welp

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Guessing from the replies that Francis got detonated.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

well at least ngannou got two paydays out of his boxing career instead of one

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

God drat Joshua

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

lol holy poo poo, guess fury really didn't do poo poo in prep for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

balancedbias posted:

Guessing from the replies that Francis got detonated.

Knocked down twice in two rounds then flatline KO'd in the second