Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I hope that didn't cost a sparring partner their job, dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Bivol-Beterbiev in June.

I got Bivol and I think he wins on wide cards.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Fury/Usyk being rescheduled until May may not be the end of the world, but it does increase the chances that the fight never happens. Usyk may decide to fight someone like Filip Hrgovic in the interim, or even just take any fight, in which he could get injured, or even lose. Fingers crossed we get to May without any further issues.

Bivol/Beterbiev being scheduled is great, but like Fury/Usyk, we have to get there without any hiccups first. Beterbiev has suffered injuries in training camps recently, and is now 39 years old. If the fight does happen, I'd give Beterbiev a slight advantage, in so far that we've never seen a Beterbiev opponent not crumble to his power and pressure.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think I favor Bivol there but also I'm not nearly so confident that he can avoid Beterbiev as easily as he did Canelo, and if he can't then he's in for some big problems. Have to think about this one more.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I think I favour beterbiev in this one. It’ll be a great match tho.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Bad fight weird cards.

Keyshawn looked good

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Devin Haney - Ryan Garcia has more or less been confirmed for 4/20 in Vegas. Both seem pretty committed to the promotion.

https://twitter.com/Realdevinhaney/status/1756130758513791246?t=E8_jnQMtVjNu6Ax0taYLJQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/RyanGarcia/status/1756128323175113056?t=t5hX0vCtmvLZzybWdvXNNQ&s=19

Edit: is confirmed

https://x.com/GoldenBoyBoxing/status/1756091911557820517?s=20

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 10, 2024

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I know this isn’t exactly a groundbreaking insight but I don’t think Garcia has a snowball’s chance lol

Maybe if Haney has the worst fight of his pro career and Garcia is super locked in…he does have the type of hand speed that can lead to surprising upsets.But I don’t see it

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think Gracie would have a better chance if he had one more fight with James in his corner before jumping back in the deep end, but Haney is the #1 guy in the division for a reason, very hard to envision him losing.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Jump King posted:

I think Gracie would have a better chance if he had one more fight with James in his corner before jumping back in the deep end, but Haney is the #1 guy in the division for a reason, very hard to envision him losing.

Royce Gracie is boxing Haney??

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
After he loses he’ll claim he misunderstood the rules

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There are some rumors going around that Manny Pacquiao might unretire and more specifically is interested in a fight with Terrence Crawford. He's got an exhibition set for April 20 and supposedly after that he'll be considering professional fight offers

It seems like a bad idea to me but I'm also not surprised, Manny's got a big entourage and probably some money issues.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

There are some rumors going around that Manny Pacquiao might unretire and more specifically is interested in a fight with Terrence Crawford. He's got an exhibition set for April 20 and supposedly after that he'll be considering professional fight offers

It seems like a bad idea to me but I'm also not surprised, Manny's got a big entourage and probably some money issues.

He's personally spiting us so that we can no longer say we saw the final fight of Pacquiaos career.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The SituAsian posted:

He's personally spiting us so that we can no longer say we saw the final fight of Pacquiaos career.

If he does that I might burn all my pacquiao stuff (I won’t)

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Canelo has yet to announce his next fight, planned for May 4th, but for sure, he will not be fighting David Benavidez

https://twitter.com/wbcmoro/status/1760770531215691983?t=NZk6PtZS2hDRY9TQPoqqeg&s=19

Edit: Other reporting is saying this is a contingency if Benavidez cannot secure the May fight with Canelo but I feel like that's just trying to blunt the backlash Canelo will (and should) receive if he fights, like Jaime Munguia, instead of Benavidez next.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 22, 2024

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
So, uh, the Garcia fight is going to be cancelled yeah? Dudes moving crazy :stare:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

have you considered the possibility that he really was forcibly held down at bohemian grove and made to watch a child get raped

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I was kinda expecting him to say his account was hacked, and not a hostage style "I'm fine but all my finances are locked down' video that basically confirms he's gone crazy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Psyops to get Haney feeling guilty about punching a mentally disturbed person.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The fight should 100% be called off. In the clip of Ryan with Andrew Tate he’s slurring his words.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Jake Paul vs Mike Tyson :dafuq:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just makes me sad; he's an old man and we're all going to have to see him get hurt. Yes I know he can still punch and could probably still put up a fight but he's almost 60 and he's not a demi-god.

I mean, if he absolutely obliterated Jake Paul I'd love it, but this just puts a bad feeling in my gut.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Boxing is a cool sport where some of the biggest scheduled events feature:
  • a 58 year old man
  • A man in the middle of a psychotic episode
  • A guy with a 0-1 record

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

terrible. i hate this dumb sport. there's no way he lasts a round without gassing.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I have to admit I’m not immediately discounting Tyson but that’s maybe my feelings talking so I’ll have to take a bit of time to think about it. Need to find out how many rounds this is going too. If it’s like a 4 round exhibition or something then idk, I think Tyson can put it together for a couple rounds.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Isn't he already showing serious signs of CTE? Like hasn't his speech been slurred for years now?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

Isn't he already showing serious signs of CTE? Like hasn't his speech been slurred for years now?

probably. it's hard to tell with all the weed he consumes.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Tyson looked great against Roy in their exhibition but that was so long ago who knows how that would even apply here.

Good on Netflix for getting into live sports though. Hopefully they can be another regular broadcast outlet soon.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

Tyson looked great against Roy in their exhibition but that was so long ago

3.5y ago, drat :negative:

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't think so. Not to the extent of Holyfield, certainly.
He seems pretty lucid and about as articulate as you'd expect in the segments I've seen of him working with Ngannou.
I wouldn't be surprised if, given his defensive work and regimented training, that he took way fewer punches in sparring over the years than most boxers.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 7, 2024

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

There isn’t a professional boxer on gods green earth without cte

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Mayweather maybe?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If there's any experimental drugs for washing tau proteins out, mix that up with his regular supersoldier serum and juice him to the gills in the next month.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Mayweather maybe?

Not having a brain is truly the best defence against brain injury

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jump King posted:

Not having a brain is truly the best defence against brain injury

If he could read that you'd be in trouble

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I hope Tyson surprises us all like Mark Hunt v SBW.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is some real miserable poo poo.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Did y'all see that "exhibition" match Joe Frazier had just a few years before he died?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Choosing Texas as the venue communicates to me they were definitely shopping the fight around to a state that doesn't have an enforcing governing body.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i got excited for a second because the tyson that beat the poo poo out of roy would kill jake paul. the only reason roy made it out of there is because tyson carried him.

then reality came crashing in with this post.

kimbo305 posted:

3.5y ago, drat :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Marching Powder posted:

i got excited for a second because the tyson that beat the poo poo out of roy would kill jake paul. the only reason roy made it out of there is because tyson carried him.

then reality came crashing in with this post.

I just, like, I understand time can pass me by in terms of, like, my friends kids getting bigger, but I remember this fight, it was last year, I'm sure of it.