Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The SituAsian posted:

Also apparently Canelo is thinking of maybe moving up to 175 at some point. A 5'7" light heavyweight? Why not

He saw those pics of Maidana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

> while Wilder confirmed its willingness

:mrwhite:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How are there tooth marks on both sides?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

AJ went into the fight concussed from a hard knockdown in camp, doesn't that make the many hard shots and knock downs in the fight even worse for his health?

Yeah, it's bad if you're not recovered from one concussion leading into the next. On top of the obvious hazards of not being 100% able to fight.

I wonder if his dad had the ability to get cornermen to throw in the towel?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Skimmed the Judah fight on Daily Motion. It was someone way past his prime getting ground down by a journeyman. The ref stopped the fight and hopefully reduced the damage to Judah as much as possible.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://twitter.com/StarBoxing/status/1137760822724321280

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

He must have Nadal's doctor prescribing joint therapies.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Was Cota already completely gassed at that point in the fight? He looked so slow in answering before the first knockdown.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Man, Mike looks oooold in this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzrC8BjgCTa/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

He looks beat up and somewhat dazed on the stool, but not in a way that makes you think that he wouldn't survive it. We know so little about TBIs yet.

Any word from Matias?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

My gut reaction is that boxing != prize fighting.

Is there some other sport that you do consider prize fighting? Just wondering where the label would apply or matter.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

But even with racing, it's not a steady decline into sponge brain, because the point of the sport is not repeated sub-to-fully-concussive blows to the brain and internal organs.

That does happen more now that cars are safer and don't split a driver in half in a wreck, so that they can go back out there and sustain more wrecks and injuries. Junior quit in part because of all the concussions.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Both those guys were way better than Lowtax, and more evenly matched. So not a great comparison, freakshow or no.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What's their weight difference again?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

but Kovalev is still two divisions up,

What's a reasonable weight difference on fight night, 15 lbs?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The atheleticism is promising, but goddamn if he isn't wasting all ability to spring forward on those punches.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

He's an elite NFL wide receiver. Unclear to me how well that would translate to boxing on short notice.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If it were other sports, I'd buy the fear of getting hit hard in the head as a distraction. But much less so for football.
Fear of embarassment is certainly still there.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Given what AB's gone through off the field, I'm not sure he has thin skin anymore.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

Maybe it would be instructive to look at CM Punk.

Lol, no, cuz you can tell CM doesn't have a bone of athleticism in his body.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

performing in front of an intimidating number of people in an industry you're a titan of

I'm sure there's some nerves from being a pro wrestling performer, but it's not the same as an athletic competition with no predetermined flow and outcome.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

i could have sworn this was my entire point for like half a dozen unnecessarily long posts

I thought you were trying to equate:
- pro wrestling show nerves being insufficient prep for combat sports
- nfl pro game nerves being insufficient prep for combat sports
which I was arguing against.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's undeniable that speculating about untrained randos just generates posts that the real sport cannot.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ah yes, the real battle is two boxing matches vs stealth PEDs.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

Mark hunt is apparently boxing now and I cannot see a scenario that he doesn't kill this guy in the ring https://7news.com.au/sport/boxing/p...O8450mcFGhz9B1k

:(
“To be honest, I’m getting the itch back,” Hunt told Sporting News.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

y'all really spent two pages arguing about Logan Paul and Antonio Brown?

It was pretty entertaining tbh.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I enjoyed this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07LgTI6DZgU
Not a lot of new insights even as someone who's only casually acquainted with Leonard's career, but there's gems in there.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Can't believe he's going on to the second verse

The real reason to watch a Fury fight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

rest his guts posted:

I wonder why Wilder put on weight? Seemed imprudent. How much did it affect his speed, power; balance, conditioning and mechanics? What was his camp thinking) He looked sloppier than I’ve ever seen him,
He looked fine in the first 2 rounds when he wasn't getting pushed back by Fury's advance.
In the quiet spots, he was still coming in with his 1-2 nicely like always. Once he got clubbed on the ear, differences in training camp were immaterial.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Freudian slippers posted:

I could see an elite bob and weaver like a prime Tyson or Frazier beat him, if (and that's a big if) they could handle the clinch.

I agree and think the size differential would lead to refs breaking it up earlier and more often.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Speaking of Mike Tyson, just how good was he in boxing relative to other greats? Pop culture seems to rank him just behind Ali.

He had some great attributes (speed, power) and some bad attributes (height).
Within that combination, he achieved an amazingly effective style is his prime. That style would not be able to answer every great HW out there, but it ate up all the lackluster ones of his generation.

Speed goes first, and when Mike's speed went, he was toast.

This is what I'd expect him to try against Fury:

Just get insanely low and force Fury to punch straight down and miss or get warned for hitting the back of the head.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I also find it odd that there was controversy for when Douglas beat him. People don't seem to know that a ten count isn't a count to ten seconds.

At the elite level of the sport, being able to administer consistent timings for counts would be more fair, which is why there's a popular expectation that counts are exact. It wouldn't be hard to give references a stopwatch gadget that starts counting when they see a fighter hit the floor, but there would still be plenty of controversy over when they fire off the first count.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wilder is what you'd find in the dictionary under no technique, but incredible power and fight IQ.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Who had Floyd been training with?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

His father, Roger and Jeff
I had heard Roger was sick, but I guess I didn't know who Floyd was trusting to run camp the way he wanted.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Old man's still got it:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_qAaOHFtwj/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

After he watches Bad Boys, Mike is gonna finish the fight #Halo5

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Do any of yall read these?:
https://imgur.com/gallery/2DBHQpF

The analysis is usually good, but the flower language makes it hard for me not to roll my eyes the whole way.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Not fight news, but neat: https://ew.com/tv/mahershala-ali-jack-johnson-hbo-series/
That series has been in development for ages, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jump King posted:

does whoever the gently caress it was who was betting about the logan paul antonio brown fight want to switch the bet to this

Is it too late for that fight to get put on this card?