Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
glad the rigged rematch didn't go through like with Canelo-GGG

as much as I'd like to have seen it, it's the principle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
the Cold War of DAZN/Matchroom v ESPN/Top Rank v PBC/Haymon will sadly be more interesting than any fight in the next six months

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Degale is totally washed but Junior lacks any boxing skills to put him out of his misery

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Hogan got robbed by Munguia in Mexico, he lost at least 7 rounds and was eating overhead rights for fun. His defence is so poor that he'll get knocked out by anyone his own size.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I'd imagine the three fight plan on DAZN for GGG is walkover fight > Sulecki/Andrade winner > Canelo rematch. It was always going to be a poo poo fight but they should have at least got a name people have heard of. Maybe the likes of N'Dam turned it down, there are no belts on the line anymore so it's a harder sell.

Kownacki or Michael Hunter probably replaces Large Infant, what a wasteman.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Hopefully Gassiev follows. Let Abel train plodding Mexican journeymen instead of making world class talent fight like that.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I'm no fan of Canelo, but like GGG feel he shouldn't be penalised for fighting another p4p ranked fighter and narrowly winning/losing, as opposed to those who constantly fight no-hopers and get rated high on the "eye test"

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Campbell IMO is one of the most skilled boxers in the UK but his pro career has been a disappointment. He lost a fight he shouldn't have against Yvan Mendy which set him back a couple of years, and as he turned pro relatively late it was extra costly. He fought very well against Linares - I know Linares has been stopped by lesser fighters but few have outboxed him for long periods and held their own in terms of handspeed. I expect that he keeps up with Loma for the first few rounds but gets broken down and stopped late.

In an era when Crolla and Ricky Burns have become world champions at lightweight he can count himself pretty unlucky.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Wilder has improved since then (as in he can now throw sharp, technically correct punches instead of windmills) while Ortiz has looked like a slow old lump. It's set up for another highlight reel KO.

Very sneaky of them to announce this immediately before the Joshua fight.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

It also gives credence to the theory that FOX and ESPN - through PBC and Top Rank - are willing to cooperate (or collude) in order to freeze out DAZN.

Definitely, some real power moves are being made.

Wilder is laughing because even if he gets schooled (again) and loses his belt to Fury, it won't matter much. He can then fight Joshua as a challenger and still make it a huge fight.

Monday Bandele fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 1, 2019

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Anyone calling for an upset tonight? I don't know much about the guy Devon Alexander is fighting so maybe that one?

I think Josh Kelly might get exposed in his step up by the New/Real/Whatever Ray Robinson, he fought like a clown in his last fight against a no hoper and still got hit too much and cut under the eye.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I can't believe the "fast hands" was not just a desperate selling point

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
this just made the dozens of mismatches I've stayed up for worth it

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
is Joshua out of it? he's posing with Ruiz like he's just won

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Matchroom USA is cursed

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
He definitely got concussed in the third round, but looking back, he seemed out of it during the ringwalk - eyes glazed over, chewing his mouthgaurd. Plus AJ's dad seemed mad at Eddie Hearn after the fight for something. Knocked out in sparring and covered up?

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
transcript of Joshua's corner on reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/Boxing/comments/bvymm5/joshua_talking_to_his_corner_between_rounds/

imo McCracken laid out exactly the right plan on how to recover and win the fight, problem is Joshua thought he was on the moon

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
the WBSS light heavy tournament seems too good to be true. Has Top Rank ever allowed one of their fighters to take part in one?

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Troy Queef posted:

this wasn't the only massive home-town decision tonight: Josh Warrington won a split-decision over Kid Galahad in a fight more than a few people had going to Galahad, because it was in Leeds.

Don't think this was a robbery tbh, Galahad nullified Warrington's aggression but did nothing but clinch, spoil and potshot. Should have had a point deducted for holding it was so egregious. A draw was probably fair, horrible fight.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
so are all your favourite boxers

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
the Saudi government are investing heavily in sports events as a kind of domestic and international public relations campaign, expect more of this

anyway Murata KO'd Rob Brant in a two round war, I always thought the first fight was a blip for Murata but never expected this performance.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I saw Brant get schooled by old man Jurgen Braehmer so I was never that sold on him

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah the real shocking thing to me is that there’s no obvious point where things went wrong. It could have been stopped sooner, but there wasn’t any particularly must stop moment before the corner stoppage came. They could have stretchered him out earlier, but they didn’t take an egregious amount of time to put him in the ambulance.

Sometimes, even when the corner makes a compassionate stoppage, and even when they take damage seriously and try to rush him straight to the hospital, this stuff happens because boxing is just a vile sport.

I feel like many of these kinds of tragedies have the same perfect storm of factors - two evenly matched fighters on paper, where one fighter is taking serious punishment but still doing enough to remain competitive. Even in the 11th round, Dadashev was throwing back and never completely out on his feet. McGirt saw the warning signs and stopped it but I bet many trainers would have sent hm back out there.

The biggest change that should be made is strict protocol after the fight has concluded that involves a knockout or goes a certain number of rounds - on a televised Top Rank card in the USA, there's no excuse for the delay in getting Dadashev to the hospital. Sadly nobody has learned from the Abdusalamov incident.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

He fainted and they physically held him up and waited so they could announce the draw. Makes what happened after the Dadashev fight seem like a textbook health and safety drill. Argentine boxing is the Wild West, full of dodgy cards with guys fighting under fake identities and cowboy organisations - https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/11/2/13482778/fake-fights-dangerous-mismatches-inside-the-underworld-argentina-boxing-feature-story

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
"Ban boxing"...yes lets just make all these guys have to fight in Tijuana if they're American, or Malta/Hungary if they're British, with few regulations, poo poo doctors, no emergency staff, no medical suspensions. It'll work out as well as prohibition.

Impressive win by Ramirez, who I've never previously been convinced by, against Hooker. Still think he's a level below Prograis and Taylor but those would be competitive fights.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
A big heavyweight fight to take place in an obscure location because a dictator threw a lot of money at it? That's a first...

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Reminder that taking the title off Jeff Horn made Crawford not only the number 1 welterweight, but p4p number 1, apparently.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Garlic Wraith posted:

Apparently, Billy Joe Saunders will be on the undercard. Let that sink in..

About as much respect as a Billy Joe WBO title defence deserves

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
nice to have the Channel 5 Fury back

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Mikey is a salesman. He convinced his fans he "saw something" in Spence, who all bet on him, then fought like a journeyman.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Crawford has not fought anyone remotely as good as Porter, or even a one eyed Kell Brook for that matter.

This fight should be a lesson on the "eye test".

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Great fight with Taylor the deserved winner, Prograis stared sharp but got ground down by Taylor's physicality and infighting, I had it 115-113 with Prograis rallying in the last two rounds to make it closer.

Both are talking about moving up to welter but neither are really suited to it IMO, Prograis is too small and Taylor looks a little fragile in exchanges. Hope one of them takes the other belts off Ramirez first.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Glad I could catch a replay of Donaire-Inoue without spoilers.

After the cruiserweight shootout between Dorticos and Breidis I fear that's it for the WBSS. Back to the big broadcasters making unappealing in-house fights for their anointed stars...

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
The continued success of $75 PPVs is the biggest mystery of boxing to me.

How many people even have 5 friends into boxing enough to chip in and split the cost? These aren't megafights either.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Robbery of the year alert: John Ryder beat the poo poo out of Callum Smith but didn't even get the courtesy of a split decision loss.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Quizzlefish posted:

Getting hyped for this fight. All possible outcomes (apart from a cagey no throw 12 rounder) bhave a great narrative.

guess what will most likely happen

there's no reason to hire Luis Pabón as the ref other than AJ's team wanting to replicate Wlad-Povetkin

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Ruiz couldn't even win the story of the fight.

Being cynical, I think AJ will fight his IBF mandatory Pulev, then drop the WBO so Matchroom can make a vacant title fight for Usyk v Joseph Parker or someone first

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
How long are ESPN and Top Rank going to keep lining up these soft touches for Crawford and telling us he's p4p number 1? This guy was coming off a draw to a gatekeeper.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
The WBO which Arum has control over. Jeff Horn, peg leg Benavidez, totally washed Amir Khan, and now """"Mean Machine""""...even Shawn Porter would be a huge step up in level from these opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
for years I've wanted Fury to stop loving about and put something behind his punches and he's finally done it, great to watch

so ends Wilder's title reign, he's been a real overachiever (with the help of Sulaiman and the WBC). I would like to see him as a contender again, but he took a savage beating, and his age he might not be the same physically or psychologically.