Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

So, Shawn Porter was in a close fight. I don't know if I agree with the result but it was acceptable. He wants more big name fights. I think this has been going on for a while now. Probably should make a post template or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Thank you Wilder for making sure I can get to sleep at a reasonable time...as well as his opponent.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

DAZN will spam every media source for more adspace with this kind of moment on their platform

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

For those interested, this Harrison-Charlo rematch at 154 right now is pretty entertaining. This is an even matchup IMHO especially since neither guy has much interest in effective jabbing.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Just here to say good on Fury actually showing he can fight coming forward from the start. That's a Steward training staple. Wilder was outclassed; I'm actually glad I paid for a fight card (it had been a long time).

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Cigar Aficionado posted:

The fight kind of reminded me of Hopkins/Taylor I, which had an almost identical narrative of the older champion giving away all of the early rounds before turning it on and winning the second half of the fight. The difference here is that Lopez turned things back around in the 12th and left little doubt as to who won the fight.

I don't think Lomachenko stepping on the gas earlier would have necessarily benefited him. His face at the end was very marked up as it is. He got beat up pretty good. If he had forced the fight earlier, he would have gotten hit even more. Ultimately Lomachenko was just too small. Lopez was able to keep him at his preferred range most of the night, and had too much power and speed for Lomachenko to consistently land his shots without taking punishment. There were more than a few times that Lopez would land not quite flush and it still hurt Lomachenko and/or moved him back. Lopez was just too big and too good.

Creating an uncertain fight (and potential knockout loss!) is something that many defense-first fighters will not do early on, and Lomachenko certainly fits that bill. However, even as early as round 2, it is clear that Lomachenko is a gifted offensive fighter as well and could have given Lopez enough to think about so there would be more opportunities earlier while taking the same amount of early body shots. I mean, there's a difference between landing single digit shots in a round, and THROWING single digit shots, holy poo poo was that bad by Loma. Who would have thought that using a hard jab, staying in the proper range, and having a power advantage would make a p4p fighter look ordinary? Lomachenko was looking for perfect untouchable windows, and there were none. He's going to have to accept that, especially as he gets older. Boxing is not very kind to those who try to move back down in weight as they age (I have no source on this as a consistent thing, just each fighter that I've seen try it doesn't look so hot).

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I scored Spence/Garcia 118-110 Spence. Other than rounds 9 and 10 when Spence seemed to be taking a breather, he mostly controlled the fight with his jab and basically just outclassed Garcia, who's more of a B+/A- level fighter, whereas Spence is a solid A level fighter.

As for Spence/Crawford, I'm not sure who's the better fighter at this point, but I will say that Spence is a much bigger guy. Spence typically comes into camps at 190, he's almost 5'10 with a 6 foot reach, he could easily be campaigning at junior middleweight. Meanwhile, Crawford is a former lightweight with a whole junior welterweight career behind him. Hard to see Crawford overcoming Spence's size and speed unless Crawford is a truly generational talent, which he may be.

Hopefully the fight happens next year, because if it doesn't it's starting to get to the point where Crawford may be past his prime, whereas Spence will still be in his.

Anybody getting generational vibes from this situation? Like, Crawford is justthisclose to getting a major fight in that division but it's clear that everybody else has their round robin going and don't want to upset the flow. Reminds me of Aaron Pryor wanting to campaign at welterweight (he even interrupted a few Sugar Ray Leonard and Tommy Hearns appearances) but never got them. Crawford is in the division and still doesn't get a whiff besides Porter acknowledging he's a mandatory. Spence is a big, polished dude but Crawford's style is just...mean. Maybe that leads to Spence knocking him out from too many chances against a guy that big, but I'd love to see him try.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Charlo had very little head movement on the ropes. It looked like he got the wrong impression when he got a lucky counter early on and thought that every pressure encounter would go that way. Dumb mistake and it nearly cost him. He could have won this fight on his jab alone but that is too boring for a guy like him. Sometimes you just have to go with it, man. Kind of like when Wlad Klitschko had his longest run as heavyweight champion with by-the-numbers distance punching and smothering everything on the inside.
I would love to watch a rematch of this one ASAP.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Cigar Aficionado posted:

If boxing was a half decent sport

Welp, there's your problem :cry:

It's clear that there is enough interest for the sport to go on indefinitely, but it's beyond my comprehension why boxing and MMA are allowed to be so disjointed. Disc golf and corn hole have more understandable systems than fight sports do.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Canelo at 168 in a nutshell:

-Titleholder thinks they can outbox him, and have a natural size acclimation that will make it difficult for Saul
-Canelo lets them show their early boxing skill
-Canelo is just as skilled, especially with head movement, plus punches with authority
-Canelo wears them down
-Losing fighter thinks it was only a matter of time but Canelo got in a few good shots that turned the fight, despite clearly being broken down like a frog in slow boiling water

Well, Callum Smith went to a decision but you get the point.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Valdez is trying to bait Stevenson in by leading with a high guard and inviting head shots at range.

Then he'll...um, maybe something else will happen? Jesus Christ he's getting outworked.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Yeah it’s quite clear that the powers that be in boxing won’t allow Canelo to lose a wide decision, or lose at all if they can help it. Mayweather, Lara, GGG fights, and now Bivol prove that. You have to box a shutout to get a 7-5 card in your favour. Truly disgraceful stuff!

The only time I actually felt sympathy for Floyd was the scores against Canelo; he literally yelled "WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS?!"

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

So the opposite of LLCoolJD's avatar happened last night.

Berlanga tried to bite Angulo's ear and shoulder. I'm just glad it was a failed attempt :wtf:

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Jump King posted:

“Jab from Haney, great head movement from Stevenson to nullify that, Stevenson fires back with a combination, it doesn’t land but it gets Haney thinking! They’re sizing each other up. Stevenson thr- oh no just some more feints as they continue to circle the ring. Another jab from Haney, this one to Shakur’s body! That might be the biggest punch of the fight! And there’s the bell on round 11. Let’s go to Chris Mannix on the scorecard.”

As someone who was at the fight in Newark last night, I want to be mad at this mockery.

I want to, but I can't be.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Didn't need a PPV to see the KO of the year by Nakatani!

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Art Core...velay posted:

twitter made me think this was the worst robbery since bradley/pacquiao but after watching 115-113 haney seems perfectly fair

Honestly it's not the final scores that are bad, but which rounds went to which fighters that makes it baffling.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

The SituAsian posted:

Seeking hot takes for Josh Taylor-Teofimo Lopez

I'm thinking that Taylor probably isn't as good as when he went through the WBSS but he will still wash Lopez who is going through a very messy divorce and overall seems to be a very bad place mentally, probably even worse then when he lost to Kambosos.

Well, about that...

Lopez showed out for the last 6 rounds of that fight. drat that was impressive.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Freudian slippers posted:

Duran was definitely getting outworked, but he was in there, throwing punches and fighting until he suddenly waved it off. It was a very weird thing. Obviously, he had not prepared properly and was running out of gas, but he wasn't in complete survival mode. It was especially weird seeing as he was so well known for his heart and fighting spirit.

Duran had beaten Leonard in the first fight, in part because he baited Leonard into a more aggressive style. Leonard admitted as such. In the rematch, Leonard was keeping more distance and clowning Duran, not to the point of embarrassment, but baiting him into being reckless. Duran partly quit because he thought it was complete bullshit and knew that there was no way he was landing enough to get a knockout, and the crowd was eating up the showmanship.

Back to Fury-Ngannou...um...well...I doubt I'll pay for it. There is no advantage for Ngonnou, other than random angle novelty. I'm referencing the idea that there is so little data on how he will set up boxing style punches, that he catches Fury unaware.
I highly doubt that.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Guessing from the replies that Francis got detonated.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

rare Magic card l00k posted:

he fell down like he was the guy from qwop

That is the greatest description I could hope for.

Well, not for Francis, but you get the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Just saw the knockdowns and KO. That was some good stretching in the end. Namaste.