Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Uncle Wemus posted:

I prefer my scifi and fantasy to include nude women with big hooters

You'd probably be a fan of F. Frank Manfred then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I have a copy of startide rising I keep meaning to read and I hear it’s good, is it worth reading sundiver first

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Uncle Wemus posted:

I prefer my scifi and fantasy to include nude women with big hooters

Heavy Metal rules.

that dog ate a bee
Sep 24, 2007

this dog ate a bee
Nap Ghost
I would put James Morrow on a list near Ursula K. Le Guin, although the subjects of his books are a little less weighty. Notably: Towing Jehovah, The Last Witchfinder, and This Is the Way the World Ends among pretty much the rest of his works.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

more like Dumberto Freako imho

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Are you gonna make me actually read the list and seriously consider it? JFC

* just kidding well done on making me wanna do it

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Charles Bukowski. It's not speculative fiction. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h32g3g7r4Q8

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

tetsuo posted:

people say they read them so that they sound smart but no one actually makes it through their impenetrable garbage hth

sorry you’re illiterate :(

this thread is loving grim. genre fiction is brain poison.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

WatermelonGun posted:

sorry you’re illiterate :(

this thread is loving grim. genre fiction is brain poison.

Hey dude that that may be true but you really wanna mention a writer you think is better if you don't wanna come in as a miserable loser afraid to step up.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Beckett is good and each novel in his trilogy is short enough to read in a couple days. I’ve read Molloy three times now.

Knausgaard writes in excruciating detail about being a failure as a father and a son as well as cumming his pants repeatedly so a lot of you can probably relate.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

WatermelonGun posted:

Beckett is good and each novel in his trilogy is short enough to read in a couple days. I’ve read Molloy three times now.

Knausgaard writes in excruciating detail about being a failure as a father and a son as well as cumming his pants repeatedly so a lot of you can probably relate.

Are you bitter, projecting? Last time I came was yesterday, after a blowjob. Why is this the discourse you wanna have here? Did you ever even read Bukowski? gently caress you and your weak rear end attack on genre fiction.

*my posting routine is like, during work week, post nothing, free weekend gently caress, drink, and then post on SA if there is time left before need to go work again

doverhog fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 5, 2019

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

doverhog posted:

Are you bitter, projecting? Last time I came was yesterday, after a blowjob. Why is this the discourse you wanna have here? Did you ever even read Bukowski? gently caress you and your weak rear end attack on genre fiction.

*my posting routine is like, during work week, post nothing, free weekend gently caress, drink, and then post on SA if there is time left before need to go work again

loving lol i want to frame this post

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Put it up on your wall. :discourse:

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
actually, i am the smartest and most cultured goon. behold my vast collection of 1st edition detective comics, and weep knowing you will never achieve such lofty heights

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's The Gulag Archipelago, and William Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich are two of my favourite books.
I've had the Earthsea Quartet on my shelf for years but I've not read it yet.
Currently reading the Millennium series, weighty stuff lol

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Philip K Dick. Harry Harrison. Michael Moorcock.

But if you think LeGuin is the best of the ones you mentioned then you won't agree with any of those, because they're all more plot-driven writers and you clearly prefer prose-driven writers.

Also, Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett. :colbert:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i’ve never met anyone really into Bukowski over the age of twenty one who weren’t also really into things like blacking out and wrapping their car around a tree or hitting their girlfriends.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

roomforthetuna posted:

Philip K Dick

Dick is a very interesting case. He's a good writer, but he wrote most of his stuff while schizophrenic and on drugs. I can't describe his writing, but I can say, you should read it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

WatermelonGun posted:

i’ve never met anyone really into Bukowski over the age of twenty one who weren’t also really into things like blacking out and wrapping their car around a tree or hitting their girlfriends.

I was into Bukowski while I was into blacking out, and now that I am into being a person who used to be into that, I appreciate his artistry on a different level.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
also literary alter egos are bullshit unless you’re pessoa. if you’re gonna write autobiographical poo poo and make people read your theories on everything go psychotic or write something else. VALIS is pkd’s best work for this reason.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Most of Bukowski's stuff is written as autobiographical from the perspective of Henry Chinaski. He admitted in various interviews he made poo poo up to make a story better, but Chinaski essentially is him. So when he writes about making GBS threads his guts out, he knows what he's talking about, and so do I.

You say Bukowski is bad because he knew and wrote about drinking too much, I say he is good for the same exact reason.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 5, 2019

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
no he’s bad because he’s a misogynistic coward who writes like poo poo, and yeah i know about chinaski. that’s why i brought up alter egos in the first place. jesus.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

roomforthetuna posted:

Philip K Dick. Harry Harrison. Michael Moorcock.

But if you think LeGuin is the best of the ones you mentioned then you won't agree with any of those, because they're all more plot-driven writers and you clearly prefer prose-driven writers.

Also, Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett. :colbert:

Pratchett is really good, but most of his stuff can't really stand alone. You need the really serious King-Elflowlnwynn-of-Whelaynna-who-did-battle-dark-lord-Orrrboth-when-the-world-was-still-young fantasy to exist before he can play off of it.

Guards, Guards! might be my favorite Pratchett book (and one of my favorite books ever), but I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone whose brain isn't completely rotten and swarming with little elves and dragons. Small Gods might be the one book that really does stand on its own on a base of folklore and faith and not on the soggy bog of pop-culture fantasy.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Pitdragon posted:

actually, i am the smartest and most cultured goon. behold my vast collection of 1st edition detective comics, and weep knowing you will never achieve such lofty heights

I read (and write) trash and am proud of it.

I've read stories about over a dozen different magical detectives (I'm including fringe cases like the assassin who spends most of his book being a detective, and the completely non-magical fighter who had to solve a murder in King Not-Arthur's court) and am always hungry for more.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

WatermelonGun posted:

no he’s bad because he’s a misogynistic coward who writes like poo poo, and yeah i know about chinaski. that’s why i brought up alter egos in the first place. jesus.

I don't revere Bukowski or Chinaski as role models, way to miss the point, and his writing is better than anything you can cite.

*also I explained Chinaski for the audience.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 5, 2019

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i just named two better writers before you got all huffy you drunk moron. i’ve read your dude, he sucks and his self pity doesn’t validate his or your terrible behavior. go read the people i named off the top of my dome and stop reading mediocre american men.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Ursula K. LeGuin is great and I love that she went out of her way to use people of color as the protagonists in the Earthsea books but YOU TAKE BACK WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT TERRY PRATCHETT YOU SON OF A BITCH OR ELSE I AM GOING TO INTRODUCE YOUR WINDSHIELD TO THE FUN END OF A CLAW HAMMER

HE WAS THE BEST FANTASY AUTHOR OF ALL TIME

OF ALL TIME

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Knausgaard and Beckett? Beckett plays I've seen in tv adaptations, it was fine. Too fancy tho.

Bukowski is great because he is not fancy, he goes to the core of things, to the lowest denominator. To the truth. Do you wanna me to apologize to you about getting laid or getting drunk? Because I'm not gonna, and neither would Bukowski.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
kevin j anderson

roomforthetuna posted:

Michael Moorcock
mike oxard

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 5, 2019

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
LeGuin is much better than terry pratchett, as is the copy on the new Choclatey Berry Crunch cereal.

doverhog posted:

Knausgaard and Beckett? Beckett plays I've seen in tv adaptations, it was fine. Too fancy tho.

Bukowski is great because he is not fancy, he goes to the core of things, to the lowest denominator. To the truth. Do you wanna me to apologize to you about getting laid or getting drunk? Because I'm not gonna, and neither would Bukowski.

congrats on being a worse poster than the nerds who can only read wizard books.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

WatermelonGun posted:

LeGuin is much better than terry pratchett, as is the copy on the new Choclatey Berry Crunch cereal.

So are you gonna read the sex bear book or what

doverhog
May 31, 2013

WatermelonGun posted:

gently caress you too mate.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Pratchett is really good, but most of his stuff can't really stand alone. You need the really serious King-Elflowlnwynn-of-Whelaynna-who-did-battle-dark-lord-Orrrboth-when-the-world-was-still-young fantasy to exist before he can play off of it.

Yeah but like half of everything written falls into the same bucket. Shakespeare wrote a play about fairies and it's still in demand today even though a lot of our conception of fairies comes from that play. And by contrast his plays about kings of england aren't as popular even though those were a big part of what made him famous in his time -- because they're about politics that's not relevant today.

People write for the people and culture of their own time, not some imaginary blank mind.

WatermelonGun posted:

also literary alter egos are bullshit unless you’re pessoa. if you’re gonna write autobiographical poo poo and make people read your theories on everything go psychotic or write something else. VALIS is pkd’s best work for this reason.

I really enjoyed A Box of Matches and that's a mundane book about nothing, written in the most boring semi-autobiographical persona. so there.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So are you gonna read the sex bear book or what

yeah sounds cool. i’m reading frost by thomas bernhard right now but i’ll have that done by the weekend. time to see if sex bear book is at my library.

edit: it is not :(

WatermelonGun fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 5, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

You know what you must do then.

https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Nonpareil-books-Marian-Engel/dp/0879236671/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549344838&sr=8-1&keywords=engel+bear
"In thirty pages, the reticent librarian meets the not so reticent bear and "wonders if it would be good company." It is good company indeed. Intimate company. Shocking company."

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

I really enjoyed A Box of Matches and that's a mundane book about nothing, written in the most boring semi-autobiographical persona. so there.

i have not heard of this book, but i’m sure there are plenty exceptions to what i said there. i was mostly just hating on bukowski because he’s bad and as evidenced by mr. blowjob earlier his fans suck too.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

roomforthetuna posted:

you clearly prefer prose-driven writers.

LeGuin

lol

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Read more than just sci-fi OP, lol.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
OP, have you read Fiasco by Lem? What the gently caress were the aliens?? I don’t think they ever explained what they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

You know what you must do then.

https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Nonpareil-books-Marian-Engel/dp/0879236671/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549344838&sr=8-1&keywords=engel+bear
"In thirty pages, the reticent librarian meets the not so reticent bear and "wonders if it would be good company." It is good company indeed. Intimate company. Shocking company."

i just bought it on ebay.

the last things i bought on ebay: a russian edition of coin locker babies that never got here, a hacksaw jim duggan action figure that most definitely did get here, and a garish celestial bloodshed shirt i never wear. let’s hope this horny canadian treasure is a better purchase.