Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I heard a lot of talk about not knowing what to expect from Something Wild, and it certainly lived up to that reputation. It took about halfway through to realize what the main thrust of the story would be, and even after that I wasn't sure where it was going. Normally I would complain if it took a movie an hour to get to its story, but I was enjoying all the build-up between Lulu and Charlie, their scenes are really fun together and they had great chemistry. Ray Liotta's the real standout, though, he's VERY menacing and off-putting from the first moment you see him. The soundtrack is outrageously good, Demme was always a music nerd and you can definitely tell that here. Also, it's weird seeing Tracey Walter playing an eccentric classy man instead of his usual eccentric trashy man roles.

One final note: 1986 was a good year for Tak Fujimoto shooting films about uptight squares cutting loose, he DP'd Something Wild and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Something else that strikes me about this movie; there are a lot of Black extras, more so than other comedies from the era I’ve seen. Like Demme specifically sought to include Black people and voices in whatever ways he could.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Franchescanado posted:

Is Charlie and Lulu going to live happily ever after?

For instance, the film presents Ray as unhinged, angry, sadistic and violent criminal. However, Audrey is just as much of a criminal--the narrative breaks from Charlie to show her manipulation and theft--but she explicitly never uses violence.

Is Lulu--now in her Yuppie outfit--on the straight-and-narrow path? Or is Charlie, now having killed someone to protect himself and Lulu, more embracing of anarchy and not worried about the law? Or is it both, and now they will have to work to find a new common ground?

I think it’s both, Charlie’s picked up on Lulu’s habits (making Ray pick up the tab) while also playing more straight and narrow in his regular/old life (paying the diner waitress), while Lulu is still pretty much her regular self, except dressed up nicer. How much does Lulu change over the film? It’s a lot more focused on Charlie’s tie-loosening, but there’s not much focus on Lulu straightening up. I don’t know if they’ll make it long term, but after hanging out with each other for a little bit and having a fling, they end by starting a relationship. Who knows if it will last, but it seems Lulu’s big change is a willingness to settle down.