Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Managed to listen to some of the stream while driving home from 4th festivities and I am overjoyed. New HC Trevor James has wrung every bit of talent out of this Detroit City squad and it’s been so much fun to watch the now 11-game unbeaten streak. Gotta get revenge against the lone loss on the season on Saturday against Kalamazoo, and hope for the best of the incredibly dumb NPSL playoff seeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Jesus I had forgotten that DCFC lost that game 3-2

They’ve given up two other goals the entire season, including the garbage time one from today. By far the best defensive effort this team has ever shown.

I unfortunately just moved to New York, so I’ll miss their playoff run. But hey, I can rep some rouge and gold when they play the Cosmos this Fall.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

For some time now the Tampa Bay Rowdies have been on top of the USLC Eastern Conference, but with multiple games in hand over other teams, in particular now, Indy Eleven with two games in hand; Indy could jump 1 point ahead of the Rowdies if they win both of those games in hand, and it's been like this every week I've checked now for a few weeks; no idea when Indy are going to catch up with the Rowdies to even the games played, and I am too lazy to look up the remaining schedule, but interesting to watch anyway; best thing the Rowdies can do is keep winning, of course. :v:

Speaking of which, here's some nice goals from the Swope Park Rangers 1-3 Tampa Bay Rowdies match yesterday; @0:16 minutes, nice buildup resulting in a bad clearance from the Rangers and a cross from #7 Yann Ekra and a header goal by #17 Juan Tejada; and @2:42 minutes, clever back heel from #13 Sebastian Guenzatti to #14 Malik Johnson, who gives a nice little zig-zag dribble inside the box & a confident finishing shot slotted in past the goalkeeper.

Tejada was an almost accidental discovery by the Rowdies; he was playing college footy in St. Pete for a few years without the Rowdies even being aware of him, apparently (Bill Edwards didn't put much money into scouting, it seems); it took the Lakeland Tropics to discover Tejada and make the Rowdies aware of him; he's young enough and good enough that I'm unsure how long he's going to be with the Rowdies. Such are the perils of lower league soccer fandom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WUZcsq1UKQ

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

This seems like a step backwards; Blackbaud Stadium (along with Columbus Crew Stadium) was the first USA SSS in the modern era, opening in 1999, and replacing Blackbaud with a downtown stadium only makes sense IMO if it is an actual downtown SSS controlled by the club, and not a dilapidated city owned high school football stadium that won't even be available for use next year.

quote:

https://www.postandcourier.com/spor...de2a541787.html

Charleston Battery moving downtown for larger audience, but issues abound with new stadium

This doesn't seem to be a terribly well thought out move:

quote:

So, where will the Charleston Battery play in 2020? The Citadel’s Johnson Hagood Stadium, which is across the street from Stoney Field, is a longshot option. The club has met with Citadel officials, but a deal doesn’t seem likely.

“I think the sale of the stadium was a little premature,” Ross said. “I was a little shocked because if I was an owner of a USL franchise, I probably wouldn’t have sold my stadium until I had another facility ready to go.”

The team could opt not to play in 2020 and relaunch in 2021 when they are able to secure a permanent facility, but Kelleher said the team’s plan is play next season.

“I was a little shocked because if I was an owner of a USL franchise, I probably wouldn’t have sold my stadium until I had another facility ready to go.”

Yeah.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/onesoccer/status/1151702368775495680

There's no livestream because the camera crew left before the storm delay was over.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Stiev Awt posted:

https://twitter.com/onesoccer/status/1151702368775495680

There's no livestream because the camera crew left before the storm delay was over.

They missed the mascot!

https://twitter.com/FCEdmontonNow/status/1151719355115171840

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Phoenix had Dollar Beer Night night. They won again, 6-0 against Austin.

They're 12-0-0 on Dollar Beer Night and they've outscored opponents something 37-6 when running the promotion :laffo:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Detroit City FC beat Minneapolis City SC, and Cleveland SC beat Rochester Lancers to advance to the NOSL Midwest Regional final. They play tomorrow at 1 PM.

Rochester played AFC Ann Arbor in the quarterfinals in the Most NPSL Match: Ann Arbor plays at a stadium sans lights; Rochester expressed doubt before they drove out about the ability to play the game with inclement weather on the horizon. The league and Ann Arbor reassured Rochester everything would be okay. Everything was not okay. There were halftime delays, and the game was postponed due to lack of light, despite Rochester’s requests to move the game to the backup indoor facility that was booked.
The teams couldn’t reach a consensus, Rochester claimed Ann Arbor would have to forfeit because they failed to book an adequate stadium, Ann Arbor claimed Rochester was forfeiting due to refusing their suggestions to finish the match. A coin flip was apparently the solution.
Before the flip happened, they agreed to play the remainder of the game at a neutral site in Erie, PA, where they didn’t have to play the same players that were a part of the prior match and extra time would be 20 minutes rather than 30. Ann Arbor lost on PKs, despite dominating all 110 minutes.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Delayed double post. Figured I’d drop this brutal shoulder check to a dude’s head here from the NPSL Midwest semifinal:

https://twitter.com/gigglesngs/status/1152692105216700416

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

DCFC’s goalie, Hunter Morse, saved two PKs in the NPSL final against Cleveland.

DCFC lost 3-2 thanks to missing not one, not two, but three PKs well over the crossbar. Honestly, the worst PK performance I’ve ever seen.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

https://www.stumptownfooty.com/port...s-a-possibility

PORTLAND TIMBERS 2

Could Timbers 2 be playing in a lower division in the future? It’s a possibility

According to recent reports, Timbers 2 and other MLS-affiliated USL teams could be “relegated” to USL League One in the near future

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm all for that. Just by looking at attendance, there's a black hole with the 2s of the Championship.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

I'm all for that. Just by looking at attendance, there's a black hole with the 2s of the Championship.

Which brings up the debate as to whether footy should be organized by strictly business concerns, or by sporting merit.

From a business and fan perspective, having to play against reserve teams in empty stadiums isn't good business, isn't good optics, isn't a good fan experience and results in poor atmosphere.

On the other hand, if you are an organization like the New York Red Bulls and you want your reserve team to play against superior opposition, you would rather have them in the USL Championship, where they play at a higher level (and have done rather well indeed); the Baby Bulls aren't going to face the same level of play in USL League One, and their ability to train and retain superior reserve talent will presumably suffer as a result.

Ideally if MLS teams want their reserve teams to play in the USL Championship, they should put some real effort into marketing and promoting their reserve teams and attracting actual fans to reserve team games, but that's obviously not going to happen in most cases.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
This is American soccer - it's ALL about business concerns.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Perhaps this conundrum could be solved by some sort of system of promot -- (yanked offstage by a vaudeville cane)

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The NPSL Founders Cup looks like it may no longer be the beginning of an "NPSL Pro" league. For those not in the know, there were 11 teams signed up to run basically a trial for a pro league starting in 2020, circumventing the existing USSF Pro League Standards, mostly because the D3 standards requires a significant portion of any team to be owned by a single investor of a certain net worth.
It has not officially been announced yet, but Miami FC and Miami United FC have dropped out of Founders Cup. Miami has officially announced they'll be joining NISA for the 2020 season, along with a number of other Founders Cup teams.

If you have any interest in NISA, keep watching... Founders Cup will be retooled, and there may be some other interesting news about who may be joining the league in 2020 coming out this week.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

They’ve also changed the name to the Members Cup, at least on DCFC’s page.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Aggro posted:

They’ve also changed the name to the Members Cup, at least on DCFC’s page.

Yeah, it’s being renamed. The story seems to be that Founders Cup was technically its own entity, and when a number of teams dropped, the remaining clubs decided to rethink things and ended up back under the NPSL umbrella and added a couple clubs.
Rumor is NPSL is full steam ahead with plans for a proper full amateur season in 2020, as well, rather than an abbreviated campaign in essentially the college off-season.
Detroit City’s unis say “Founders Cup inaugural season” on the back, so someone’s gonna have to get some duct tape and a marker for that one.

Supposedly DCFC and Chattanooga both are currently going through the process of getting the approvals to join NISA. My impression was they were further along than they really are, so that won’t come for a bit. Lower level soccer, everything is subject to change, etc etc, but don’t be surprised to see that down the road.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I hope the Lights make fielding a good team an actual priority sometime soon

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lessail posted:

It's bizarre how much worse they play when they're away from home.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Lessail posted:

:cripes:
This fuckin' team.

*late edit*
The Lights have the same number of wins as they did under Chelis at this time (6), and at this rate they're looking to barely be better than last year.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 25, 2019

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

This special edition New Mexico United home kit.... :discourse:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

What in the flying gently caress is Meow Wolf

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
An interactive art experience you cultureless chode

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

camoseven posted:

An interactive art experience you cultureless chode

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Our own private indoor burning man

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I was thinking of heading down to see Loudon for opening day but goddamn they are almost sold out and I dont think I wan't to spend 50 bucks for a USL match

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
$50? poo poo, ABFC tickets are $40 max, and they’s not a reserve squad.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

50 was the cheap seat, some were going for 100+

Stadium also looks half empty, that's a shame I think the MLS affiliates are kind of dragging USL down at this point, they probably belong in League One

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 10, 2019

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
drat, my entire season ticket for the Riverhounds cost $99

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Pretty sure it was a one time thing, Loudon games at Audi field have been like 20 bucks and other games at Segra are as cheap as 15 bucks.

Anyway, lmao at seeing Dominic Oduro score a goal, what loving year is it?

EDIT: Getting to watch infinity bad soccer with ESPN+ is really cool, also Gordon Wild is real bad and probably shouldn't be paid to play football.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 10, 2019

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Riverhounds got four (4!) yellow cards and still beat Swope Park 3-2. They really made the hounds work for it right up to the end.

Kenardo Forbes didn’t come on until the 82nd minute and the difference was drat near immediately obvious.

The third goal from Velarde owned.

https://twitter.com/riverhoundssc/status/1160345806177800192?s=21

I don’t think I’ll make it to a game this year but next year for sure! So, ESPN+ is kind of super awesome.

Also, since I know we have some Riverhounds fans in the thread, does anyone know if there a team store at high mark and if so, what are the hours? I want a jersey but the Riverhounds web store seems to be out of XL.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

There is a team store. I have no idea about the hours because I've only been in during games. But trying giving them a call, I think you could at least get a hold of some office folks during regular business hours.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Going to Cavalry/FC Edmonton tonight. It's being billed as a potential championship preview even though Edmonton got washed every time they played so far.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rodolfo Zelaya has been loaned from LAFC to Las Vegas for at least this weekend.

I only bring this up because of the irony of one of the players banned in the El Salvador match fixing scandal going to play in Vegas.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
This Phoenix - Reno game is good.

Phoenix have this guy Solomon Asante who is 5'2", and hell, he owns.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

trem_two posted:

This Phoenix - Reno game is good.

Phoenix have this guy Solomon Asante who is 5'2", and hell, he owns.

more importantly, they improved to 13-0-0 on Dollar Beer Night.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

this is probably the nicest hack i've seen https://twitter.com/hfxwanderersfc/status/1164900960214196225?s=21

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Indy Eleven are on a 20 game home unbeaten streak :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Nottherealaborn posted:

Indy Eleven are on a 20 game home unbeaten streak :aaa:

Riverhounds are 21 home unbeaten