Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
On Saturday, Nashville SC hosted Charleston Battery at First Tennessee Park. The game was tied 1-1 as it was nearing the end, and in the 90th minute Nashville midfielder Lebo Moloto was fouled in Charleston's box, which was not called, then got up, picked up a backpass from a Charleston defender, and scored. The whole stadium went buck wild, but during the celebrations the goal was incorrectly called back for offside.

Then, three and a half minutes into three minutes of injury time, Akinyode put in another game winner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdbAP4djXGg&t=103s
https://twitter.com/NashvilleSC/status/1165453079585742848?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tacoma was actually up 2-1 on Phoenix at the 80' and they loving blew it. It was was 2-4 to Phoenix by the 85th minute.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

wathching Loudon United play and I can't help but think of two things:

#1: Benny has successfully coached any ability or promise out of Donovan Pines.

#2: USL is infinitely more fun when its the teams that give a poo poo and they should probably shed the MLS affiliated teams that suck down to the USL League One

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Crazy Ted posted:

Tacoma was actually up 2-1 on Phoenix at the 80' and they loving blew it. It was was 2-4 to Phoenix by the 85th minute.

Phoenix hasn't lost a league match in almost four months. They haven't even DRAWN a match in four months.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Ciprian Maricon posted:

#2: USL is infinitely more fun when its the teams that give a poo poo and they should probably shed the MLS affiliated teams that suck down to the USL League One

As someone that occasionally watches late night Saturday games while half drunk, I fully agree.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

In news that likely matters only to me and 2 other people here...

https://twitter.com/CPLsoccer/status/1166735296693710848

I feel like I'm getting more spoiled than a Vegas Golden Knights fan.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Detroit City FC is a team that competed in the NPSL this year, and is only becoming a professional team when the next NISA season starts.

Yesterday, they beat Guadalajuaran Liga MX side Atlas 2-1! I don’t know if this says more about the quality of Liga MX or DCFC, but it’s impressive nonetheless.

Also, if anyone in NYC/Long Island wants to go to the DCFC/Cosmos game on October 12th, I’ll be there in rouge and gold.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Aggro posted:

Detroit City FC is a team that competed in the NPSL this year, and is only becoming a professional team when the next NISA season starts.

Yesterday, they beat Guadalajuaran Liga MX side Atlas 2-1! I don’t know if this says more about the quality of Liga MX or DCFC, but it’s impressive nonetheless.

Also, if anyone in NYC/Long Island wants to go to the DCFC/Cosmos game on October 12th, I’ll be there in rouge and gold.

I was there last night and it looked like Atlas threw the game. That first goal looked so so bad.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Aggro posted:

I will be there!

TraderStav posted:

I was there last night and it looked like Atlas threw the game. That first goal looked so so bad.

It was largely the same squad that beat Club America a few days ago, apparently. 🤷🏻‍♂️

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

I will be there!

It was largely the same squad that beat Club America a few days ago, apparently. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don't doubt it, the cynic in me pictures a scenario where the visiting team was awarded a good sum of cash to show up and not get trounced like the past two international teams that came did.

Was a perfect night for a match though, had an absolute blast as usual. Tried the bacon beignets for the first time. Just wow.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Well, the Baby Bulls are at the top of the Eastern Conference table, and they have been very good for a number of seasons now. They obviously give a poo poo. Maybe their fans don't, but that's a separate issue.

Rowdies are behind the Baby Bulls, one point out of first place; but Indy still has two games in hand.

We weren't expecting much out of the Rowdies this year, so every week they have spent at the top or near the top of the table has been a pleasant surprise. Still, they keep dropping points they shouldn't have dropped, and losing to top table teams like the Baby Bulls and NCFC, so I don't expect them to go too far in the playoffs. This is still a rebuilding year for coach Neill Collins, I think.

In other news, the Rays ownership have slashed next year's ticket prices at Al Lang, doing away with the high ticket price regime left over from the Bill Edwards ownership era. They are also instituting a supporters standing section for Ralph's Mob directly behind the goal, moving them down from under the roof overhang bleachers where they currently reside. Attendance has dropped a bit this year so I imagine the Rays ownership has spent this year analyzing ticket prices and marketing and things will be different next year.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Not sure if this is publicly viewable, but this was a great goal I thought.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2KuiUmFkjA/?igshid=1xtpsavp56tc9

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

And there is 19 for Phoenix. Oh Vegas, you had such potential six months ago.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
probably the most detailed press release i've seen after one of these incidents

https://twitter.com/PHXRisingFC/status/1173132080907051009

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

awyeahz posted:

probably the most detailed press release i've seen after one of these incidents

https://twitter.com/PHXRisingFC/status/1173132080907051009

I would save the bad news for the very last sentence as well.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
sick of those assholes, someone else better win the league

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

STLFC's season in a nutshell:

early summer: hey, this team's good for once! and we had a good Open Cup run!

midsummer: loving hell why did we hire a loving Pulis to coach this loving team, wasting our time with that stupid Open Cup

late summer/fall: five straight wins? a demolition of Red Bulls II? between this and the Cards, maybe all of St Louis had a Stanley Cup hangover, not just your average Joe

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

https://twitter.com/NISALeague/status/1174430982461677568

There is no sigh big enough.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
look at this sick-rear end golazo. just look at it over and over again.

https://twitter.com/loucityfc/status/1175574155040829440?s=21

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

paddyboat posted:

look at this sick-rear end golazo. just look at it over and over again.

https://twitter.com/loucityfc/status/1175574155040829440?s=21

cor

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Phoenix finally lost, they had a 20 match winning streak stopped. Asante had one penalty saved and then missed one that hit off the post in stoppage time.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Tulsa and San Antonio are 3-3 at 80’ and now there’s a weather delay because a thunderstorm came out of nowhere. Thanks a lot, Obama weather control machines!

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Rowdies came back from two goals down and a man down to tie Louisville 2-2 in Louisville's tiny astroturf plastic pitch inna baseball stadium, with something like 7 minutes left on the clock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqwiHcbiHOs

So not bad; the Rowdies haven't had a lot of come-from-behinds like this, this year (have they had any at all?). They will need more performances like this if they are going to advance far into the playoffs.

Now, if they just don't blow any more points needlessly in their last three games, they might actually accomplish something this year.

The top of the USL Championship Eastern Conference table is just insanely tight right now. Unlike the Western Conference.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

https://twitter.com/DetroitCityFC/status/1178102975748812805?s=20

This is cool and good!
Season tickets are also currently the same price as last (this?) year's shorter, mostly amateur season despite taking on a full NISA schedule and adding a women's team. It's $120 for what'll likely be ~25 matches.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

https://www.frontrowsoccer.com/2019/09/29/no-room-at-the-inn-cosmos-trying-to-find-a-league-may-not-play-in-2020/

NO ROOM AT THE INNS?: Cosmos, trying to find a league, may not play in 2020

Rocco B Commisso: “If they don’t let the Cosmos play, what can I do?” (FrontRowSoccer.com Photo)

UNIONDALE, N.Y. — Cosmos owner Rocco B. Commisso hasn’t decided yet, but he admits that it has been difficult to find a league in which his team can compete next year.

“It’s a tough decision,” Commisso said at halftime of the Cosmos’ 3-1 win over Chattanooga FC at Mitchel Athletic Complex Saturday night. “I have not made up my mind yet. Clearly, if nobody let’s us play, how can we play? NISA doesn’t want us, the NPSL doesn’t want us and I’m just not going to field a team of amateurs. That’s not the Cosmos.”

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Swope Park is finally going to drop the pretense and just be Sporting Kansas City II next year - announced during halftime of tonight's game.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

That's a bummer, I rather liked their team name.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Fresno FC, slayers of the Phoenix, may not play next year.

https://theathletic.com/1259214/2019/10/01/sources-usl-championships-fresno-fc-50-50-to-have-a-team-next-season/

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I kind of understand the USL's insistence that teams have to find their own place to play eventually, but at the same time it's minor league soccer so half the battle is just having a place to play to begin with.

If it takes longer to secure a stadium, so be it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://mobile.twitter.com/AustinBoldFC/status/1179785072360206336

Holy poo poo :smith:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Vegas cold clocked San Antonio 4-2 to keep their playoff hopes alive another week. Next up is #3 in the west, and cross-state rival, Reno. Vegas needs at least 4 points in the last two games, along with some luck, to make it to the playoffs.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bentai posted:

Vegas cold clocked San Antonio 4-2 to keep their playoff hopes alive another week. Next up is #3 in the west, and cross-state rival, Reno. Vegas needs at least 4 points in the last two games, along with some luck, to make it to the playoffs.
The West from #4 to about #16 is basically one gigantic clusterfuck

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
New England and Miami are putting reserve squads in League One for 2020.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Edward Mass posted:

New England and Miami are putting reserve squads in League One for 2020.

I was hoping the management would have NE2 play in Boston somewhere but they'll be playing in Gillette, so I doubt a single person will be at those games.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Gigi Galli posted:

I was hoping the management would have NE2 play in Boston somewhere but they'll be playing in Gillette, so I doubt a single person will be at those games.

Missed opportunity for a club called Boston Wanderers FC, if you ask me.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

What the gently caress? Couldn't they find a high school in Foxboro and just pay for a nicer field? Surely that would be cheaper?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

What the gently caress? Couldn't they find a high school in Foxboro and just pay for a nicer field? Surely that would be cheaper?

Other than turning the lights on and having a skeleton crew of staff, the organization doesn't pay anything to use Gillette. The Kraft's own it. It's part of the reason that the Revs are stuck there forever.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

Other than turning the lights on and having a skeleton crew of staff, the organization doesn't pay anything to use Gillette. The Kraft's own it. It's part of the reason that the Revs are stuck there forever.
I suppose that's true I just figured that even in terms of running the lights and having a skeleton crew it might be more cost effective to just give a local school or small university a nicer field and use that instead.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

I suppose that's true I just figured that even in terms of running the lights and having a skeleton crew it might be more cost effective to just give a local school or small university a nicer field and use that instead.

I do wonder if they even considered it. I agree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

I do wonder if they even considered it. I agree with you.
Yeah. It's kind of like how Timbers 2 and Swope Park were using smaller venues until the USL stepped in and said that if they wanted to stay D2 they had to play in venues that seated more than 5K, and neither Merlo Field in Portland nor Swope Soccer Village in KC fit the bill.

T2 did play some home games at Merlo this year while Providence Park was bring renovated, but IIRC they had to eat a fine for each game they played there.

A team in the USL's D3 league wouldn't even have to worry about that.