Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Looking forward to seeing what the new Rays ownership can do for the Tampa Bay Rowdies. #COYR

Previous owner Bill Edwards saved the club and put it on a solid business foundation but he didn't know anything about running a pro sports club, soccer or otherwise. The Rowdies spent a lot of money on players without much to show for it for the past five years.

USL Championship needs more teams in Florida. There will be new USL League One (D3) teams in Sarasota and Orlando; however the Rowdies remain alone in Florida in the USL Championship (D2), since Orlando City B went on hiatus in 2018.

This is very different from the situation when the Rowdies were still in NASL in 2016 and there were 4 Florida teams (Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami), which made for a lot of very easy road trips.

I'm not in Florida though; closest for me would be Hartford Athletic.

Lower league soccer in North America is filling out the map (with some gaps) in ways which would have been seen as unlikely 10-15 years ago.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Looks like we have rival USL bids in Ft. Lauderdale:

quote:

http://magiccity.soccer/2019/02/05/...ams-mls-dreams/

Rival bid for Lockhart site a new obstacle for Beckham’s MLS and USL dreams

Nothing in Miami is ever easy. And getting their way in Fort Lauderdale just got even harder for Miami Beckham United.

On Monday, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reporter Brittany Wallman revealed on twitter that a second party is competing for the Lockhart Stadium site in Fort Lauderdale. The site is the same one Inter Miami intend to use as the base for their academy and training facility.

According to details reported by Wallman, a company named FXE Futbol LLC is claiming to have signed a letter of intent with USL for a franchise in the second tier of U.S. soccer (USL Championship) if they are able to acquire the Lockhart site, which is currently unused. The owner of FXE Futbol is reported to be John P. Reynal, CEO of OnSide Entertainment, a Miami-based sports event production company with a recent history of bringing well-known international and club sides to face off in Florida.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Who are the greatest North American association football club not currently in MLS, and why it is the Tampa Bay Rowdies?

[Commence effortpost]

THE NASLOZOIC ERA, AKA THE PREMLSAMBRIAN ERA . . .

The original Tampa Bay Rowdies played their first match, an indoor soccer game, on Valentine's Day, 1975, at the Bayfront Center in St. Petersburg, Florida, a short walk from where the new era Rowdies play at Al Lang Stadium. Fun fact: the Bayfront Center was imploded in 2004 and replaced by the Salvador Dalí Museum. The Dali is awesome and you should visit it if you happen to be in downtown St. Pete.

The original Tampa Bay Rowdies played in the North American Soccer League, in Tampa, Florida, at Tampa Stadium, aka The Big Sombrero. The Rowdies were the first pro sports club to represent the Tampa Bay Area, a year before the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

When the Rowdies first started playing in 1975 at Tampa Stadium, the end zone seating had not been built yet, so it was not known as The Big Sombrero back then. The Rowdies had a sold out home game of 40,000+ when Pelé and the New York Cosmos came visiting in the early years before the expansion of Tampa Stadium was completed (once the expansion was completed, Tampa Stadium seated 72,000).

The Rowdies had several 40,000+ home games circa 1975-1980, and one 56,000+ home game in 1980. Average attendance started at about 15,000+ in 1975 and increased to 28,000+ by 1980, IIRC, before starting a slow decline which culminated in the collapse of the original NASL.

The original 1970s/1980s era Tampa Bay Rowdies were known for their very effective and witty marketing campaigns.

Original era motto (on the back of most Rowdies t-shirts, and on Rowdies bumper stickers): "Soccer is a kick in the grass."

We had a kick-rear end theme song; I used to have this record, it's either in storage or long lost though, sadly ("SOLD - Tampa Bay Rowdies '45 record - available on eBay late October"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qrQ80oCcpo

Get it? Kick in the grass? Kick rear end? No?

Also, Rowdies fans were known as Fannies.

We had a mascot named Ralph Rowdie, or was it Rowdie Ralph?

However, he was better known from this original NASL artwork, featured on tens of thousands of t-shirts worn by 1970s/1980s era Floridians:

Tampa Bay Rowdies got off to a good start in 1975, beating the Portland Timbers to win the first NASL Soccer Bowl, at Spartan Stadium, the then home of the San Jose Earthquakes:

Awesome NFL-style Voice of God video ("Rowdies Road To The 75' NASL Soccer Bowl"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRSfC6StTQ

(Watching that video, I realize I am a really old fogey, because somewhere buried deep in my unconscious mind, soccer referees still wear all black, the assistant referees are still called linesmen, there is no fourth official, you can still back-pass to the goalkeeper, etc.).

The best known original Rowdie would be Rodney Marsh, currently one of the Grumpy Pundits on SiriusXM FC, channel 157.

TAMPA BAY ROWDIES/MUTINY ACHIEVEMENTS AND TROPHIES . . .

Tampa Bay Rowdies 1975-1993:

1975 Indoor Region 3
1975 NASL Indoor Runner-Up
1975 NASL Eastern Division
1975 NASL Regular Season Runner-Up
1975 NASL Soccer Bowl Champions
1976 NASL Indoor East Region
1976 NASL Indoor Champions
1976 NASL Eastern Division, Atlantic Conference
1976 NASL Regular Season Premiership
1978 NASL Eastern Division, American Conference
1978 NASL American Conference
1978 NASL Soccer Bowl Runner-Up
1979 NASL Indoor Runner-Up
1979 NASL Eastern Division, American Conference
1979 NASL American Conference
1979 NASL Soccer Bowl Runner-Up
1979-80 NASL Indoor Champions
1980 NASL Eastern Division, American Conference
1981–82 NASL Indoor Atlantic Conference
1981-82 NASL Indoor Runner-Up
1983 NASL Indoor Champions
1989 ASL Southern Division
1992 ASPL Runner-Up
1992 Professional Cup Runner-Up

(The Tampa Bay Mutiny were MLS 1.0's Tampa Bay Rowdies in all but name, because reasons.)

Tampa Bay Mutiny 1996-2001:

1996 MLS Eastern Conference Regular Season Winners
1996 MLS Supporters' Shield
2000 Copa de Puerto Rico Winners

Tampa Bay Rowdies 2010-present:

2010 Coastal Cup
2010 Ponce De Leon Cup
2011 Coastal Cup
2012 Ponce De Leon Cup
2011 NASL Fair Play Award
2012 Coastal Cup
2012 NASL Fair Play Award
2012 NASL Soccer Bowl Champions
2013 Coastal Cup
2014 NASL Fair Play Award
2016 Coastal Cup

NEW ERA TAMPA BAY ROWDIES . . .

As noted above, the new era Rowdies won their second NASL Soccer Bowl in 2012, under the pre-Bill Edwards ownership.

Leapin' Luke Mulholland celebrates 2012 Soccer Bowl win:

The Bill Edwards era 2014-2018 was significantly unsuccessful on the field, in spite of spending a lot of money on players, including Joe Cole and Marcel Schäfer.

Local goons in Ralph's Mob can explain in much better detail than I can how head coach Neill Collins is rebuilding the team for the 2019 season, after losing the aforementioned Joe Cole and Marcel Schäfer, and fan favorites such as Georgi Hristov, and others.

Pre-Bill Edwards, the new era Rowdies had Hoops McGee as mascot:

The Bill Edwards era ushered in Pete the Pelican:

quote:

Having made his home, as many Pelicans do, in the bay near downtown St. Petersburg, Fla., Pete the Pelican was getting to know his new surroundings in early 2016 when he happened upon a stadium right on the waterfront.

He quickly started to enjoy watching the game being played, and with the club in need of a mascot after its previous one had got lost in the laundry, Pete was given a Rowdies jersey and joined the squad. Quickly becoming a fan favorite, probably thanks to his sweet dance moves, Pete can now be found every game day cheering the Rowdies on at Al Lang Stadium.

Pelicans are not the only birds of note associated with the Rowdies. Al Lang Stadium and the area around it in downtown St. Petersburg is inhabited by feral parakeets (not budgies; the big green kind of parakeet, probably something similar to Indian Ringneck Parakeets, but I'm not sure of the exact species). At Rowdies home matches at Al Lang, they hang out in the palm trees behind the south goal, in the Mahaffey Theater parking lot, of an evening, squawking loudly until it gets dark.

And of course there is the aforementioned Ralph's Mob, named after the 1970s/1980s era Ralph Rowdie/Rowdie Ralph mascot:

New era Rowdies slogans: "we stand for soccer" and "come on you Rowdies"; hashtag: #COYR.

A good site for following Rowdies news is The Unused Substitutes:

http://www.theunsubs.com/wp/

Their podcasts are very informative as well:

http://www.theunsubs.com/wp/category/podcasts

Oh yeah Ralph's Mob has a website, too, though most Mobster activity seems to be on Facebook, Twitter, and reddit (Big Soccer activity amongst most Rowdies fans died off a long time ago):

https://www.ralphsmob.com

NEW ERA TAMPA BAY ROWDIES HISTORY IN BRIEF . . .

The new era Rowdies spent 2008-2009 trying to get permission to build a small stadium in Tampa, and failing badly (RIP, Tomato Patch, the tiny Rowdies SSS that was not to be), and also losing control (or never having had control) over the Tampa Bay Rowdies trademarks and copyrights because reasons.

The new era Rowdies began play in 2010 in the weird USSF shotgun marriage D2 league, featuring all of the then USL and soon-to-be-NASL teams in one big unhappy family, with the Rowdies playing under the forced, but temporary, name of FC Tampa Bay, due to some copyright squatters in Texas. The Rowdies played the 2010 season at George Steinbrenner Field, the Yankees spring training facility, which was not a good facility for soccer.

The next year the Rowdies moved across the Bay to Al Lang Stadium in St. Pete, and at the end of 2011 got the rights to their name back, just in time to win their second NASL Soccer Bowl in 2012. The then owners didn't have the money to keep this up, though, so sold the Rowdies to Bill Edwards at the end of 2013.

Bill Edwards spent 2014 successfully fighting to wrest control of Al Lang Stadium away from the St. Pete Baseball Commission, who had left the facility in a bad state. Before the 2015 season Al Lang was greatly improved, and the Rowdies were finally able to play home games on a decent quality grass pitch.

After the 2016 season, Bill Edwards moved the Rowdies from the new era NASL, to the USL, and not a moment too soon (RIP, both original NASL and new era NASL).

Bill Edwards made a bid for an MLS expansion spot for the Tampa Bay Rowdies, with a proposed expanded Al Lang Stadium (approved by an 87% yes vote of St. Pete voters), but this was turned down by MLS because reasons.

Late last year Bill Edwards sold the Rowdies to the Tampa Bay Rays of MLB; the Rays currently deny having any MLS ambitions for the Tampa Bay Rowdies, but I (possibly being in denial) don't believe them.

Since moving to Al Lang Stadium in 2011, Rowdies average home game attendance has increased every year, except for last year (and only missed the mark by a very small number). This is impressive for lower league soccer considering that the Rowdies have some of the highest ticket prices in USL. IIRC average attendance is hovering somewhere just below 6,000; the capacity is just above 7,000, so there isn't much room to grow.

Hopefully the new Rays ownership will be able to get more sellouts and bump those average attendance numbers up again (maybe justifying some seating expansion at Al Lang?); the fact that this year, all of the Rowdies home games will be on Saturday nights, helps a lot. Previously in USL and NASL there had been too many weeknight games and other weird scheduling (plenty of fans won't drive over the bridge on a weeknight due to rush hour traffic congestion). The longer season in USL this year may also have an effect.

The Rowdies are currently selling Season Tickets and 3 game Hat Trick Packs; as an out-of-towner I am busily pressing F5 waiting for individual home game tickets to go on sale.

IN SUMMARY . . .

And so, once again, as a long suffering original Rowdies Fannie (since 1975!), I look forward to 2019 being a repeat of 1975 and 2012, although I fear it will be another repeat (at best) of 1976, when Toronto Metros-Croatia crushed my hopes and dreams (in the NASL playoffs) of the Rowdies repeating as NASL Soccer Bowl champions (the New York Cosmos and Vancouver Whitecaps going on to crush my hopes and dreams yet again, in Soccer Bowls 1978 and 1979), or (at worst) a repeat of the past 5 years, under Bill Edwards' stewardship, of relative mediocrity on the field.

NB: As I am also a New England Revolution fan, I am very much used to going to the Cup final and losing.

TL;DR - the Tampa Bay Rowdies are awesome and you should support them. #COYR

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

do the tampa bay rowdies have capos and hymnals

No idea. I live over 1,000 miles away, so I have no personal involvement.

When I make it down there, Ralph's Mob has drums, singing, and tifo.

I suspect if you Google "Mob" and "capo" you're going to get a lot of very non-soccer related search results!

There's some local Tampa Bay Area goons on this forum who might be in Ralph's Mob who could answer your question.

Edit to add: Oh, yeah, and Ralph's Mob drinks at the Thirsty First and marches from there to Al Lang Stadium before home games, IIRC. There is also a tailgate in the Al Lang parking lot before home games; I believe there is free beer? Free beer good. Also various trucks and tents from Rowdies sponsors, etc. Saturday mornings the Al Lang parking lot is also used by the St. Petersburg Saturday Morning Market, except in the summer, when it moves a few blocks north to the shade of Williams Park.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 8, 2019

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

Hi here's a drive-by effortpost on Detroit City FC:

Speaking of Detroit City FC, the first time I visited Al Lang Stadium to watch the new era Tampa Bay Rowdies, in 2015, I sat next to a young couple from Michigan who were visiting the Tampa Bay Area and who were Detroit City FC fans.

IIRC the husband was wearing a Detroit City FC t-shirt.

They asked about the status/nature of the NASL, and I made a hash out of trying to explain how the new NASL came about as a split away from the USL due to the TOA (Team Owners Association), by mumbling something about USSF D1, D2, and D3, and about how these USSF division levels have nothing to do with promotion/relegation, or something. :unsmith:

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

the only time i went to see the rowdies, ralphs mob spent a not insignificant amount of time chiding puerto rican fans for not paying taxes.

Rodney (Marsh) Dangerfield: "I went to a discussion of fiscal policy the other night, and an association football match broke out." :rimshot:

I was at that match; Joe Cole scored a bicycle kick goal against Puerto Rico FC (July 16, 2016). That goal was worth the 1,200 mile road trip.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Here's the logo for the Green Bay D3 team that will start next year:

That is tremendous.

This is very comfy and looks like one of those really cool youth summer camps my parents couldn't afford to send me to when I was a kid.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

2019 Suncoast Invitational at Al Lang.

Saturday, February 16:

4 p.m. — Montreal Impact vs Philadelphia Union, Impact 1-0 Union.

7:30 p.m. — Tampa Bay Rowdies vs D.C. United, Rowdies 0-1 United.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Looks like NPSL has a new club called Pittsburgh Hotspurs. :rolleyes:

I have nothing against copying classic soccer club names, especially those not used much in the USA (we've got enough Uniteds now, though, thanks!).

But if you're going to copy, at least get it right: Hotspur. :colbert:

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

awyeahz posted:

both dominic oduros are in USL now. the 33-year old dominic oduro plays for charlotte independence and the 24-year old dominic oduro plays for the rowdies.

Yes the Rowdies are very much more youth oriented this season.

https://streamable.com/2i4pc

Nice start to the season; don't wanna jinx it by saying anything too positive yet.

Food trucks inside and outside Al Lang this year; good idea, no idea why this wasn't done before under the Bill Edwards ownership; Rays ownership has been doing good things so far.

Very curious to know what kind of food trucks.

Edit to add: never mind, just saw this:

quote:

https://www.rowdiessoccer.com/news_article/show/1004376

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (March 14, 2019) — In our continued efforts to improve the fan experience inside Al Lang Stadium, the Tampa Bay Rowdies are delighted to announce that food trucks will make their debut as part of the Rowdies concessions roster at Saturday night’s home opener against the Pittsburgh Riverhounds.

The 2019 season is already set to include new uniforms and fresh faces, but we now have more food options on offer than ever before. Several food trucks will be on-hand both inside and outside Al Lang Stadium for fans to enjoy local fare from some of the region’s most popular traveling restaurants.

Vanchetta (rotisserie porchetta and other sandwiches), Bacon Boss, Ikigai Truck (sushi bowls and wraps) and Nutri-Truck (health-conscious items) will be located outside the stadium serving food from 5 p.m. to kickoff.

Once stadium gates open at 6:30 p.m., fans can visit the CJ’s Traveling Pizzeria and The Dude and His Food (American fare) trucks on the asphalt area adjacent to Bayshore Drive. Fans with tickets in the Midfield seating section can visit the St. Pete Taco Lady truck.

A rotation of food trucks will be available at all Rowdies home games for the entire 2019 regular season.

Also edit to add:

quote:

https://www.wfla.com/news/pinellas-county/clearwater-woman-breaks-parking-garage-gate-to-free-rowdies-fans-stuck-for-hours/1859374549

Clearwater woman breaks parking garage gate to free Rowdies fans stuck for hours

The Tampa Bay Rowdies issued an apology to spectators and fans Monday night after hundreds of people were held up for hours trying to leave Saturday night's home opener in downtown St. Pete.

A Clearwater woman says the delay even forced her to break down a gate at the McNulty parking garage off 2nd Street to help trapped cars escape. Kathryn Socash, 63, was eventually arrested for disorderly conduct.

Some of the fans "held hostage" for hours in the McNulty parking garage took to social media to document the delay and vent their frustrations. Some posts described spending more time trying to leave the garage than spectators spent at the game.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 20, 2019

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Azerban posted:

so the gate said "$50 fine for breaking gate" and the woman had to spend two days in jail for it? america is a hellstate
Well the article says "disorderly conduct" which is a separate thing from a $50 fine for breaking a gate, so maybe there's more to the story than we are being told, but, yeah, still not good. :smith:

The garage in question is the McNulty Garage, still owned, AFAIK, by former Rowdies owner Bill Edwards, and it never had any problems like this after Rowdies home games before.

I had heard speculation last year, before the Rays purchase, that the McNulty Garage was going to be included along with the Tampa Bay Rowdies in whatever sale was going to happen, but this did not happen; presumably the Rays did not like Edwards' asking price for the garage?

Cue conspiracy theories about Edwards using some kind of backhanded techniques to annoy/troll/punish/renegotiate with the Rays over the garage.

Edit to add: further details here, sounds like a fine mess. Don't annoy cops with your complaints, citizen!

quote:

https://www.tampabay.com/st-petersburg/she-led-the-great-st-pete-parking-garage-revolt-then-she-was-arrested-20190320/

As for Socash, the arrest report says she did more than snap the wooden gate with her own hands.

A few vehicles managed to escape without paying. Then when officers arrived, the arrest report said they found Socash and a large crowd upset by the situation.

Socash was jumping up and down, pointing at the parking garage manager and yelling. She was also “screaming to the already upset crowd that (the manager) was the person that could get them out of the parking garage,” the report said.

If her behavior had continued, the report said, it could have created a dangerous situation for the garage staff. So officers took Socash into custody — but the report said her “belligerent” behavior continued.

She was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct at 11:52 p.m. and booked into the Pinellas County jail. She was held there for 18 hours until she was freed Sunday night, after posting $250 bail. Socash complained about being stripped of her clothes and jewelry at the jail, and she is not too fond of her mugshot.

“I’m a coffee drinker and I asked if I could have a cup of coffee in the morning,” she said. “The guards basically just laughed in my face.”

The 63-year-old does, however, take full responsibility for breaking the gate. She said she was willing to reimburse the manager that night. At first, Socash said the officer asked her if she could pay cash and was only going to cite her. But when she continued to complain about the garage situation, she said the officer decided to arrest her.

But she disputes the other allegations in her arrest report, especially the “belligerent” parts.

“I would love to see a video of me jumping,” she said. “I don’t remember the last time I ever jumped.”

And the screaming?

“I don’t think I was yelling, but I’m sure my voice was loud,” Socash said. “But I wasn’t belligerent.”

717 Parking is a third party operator I think, not owned by Bill Edwards, so probably not involved in a Bill Edwards conspiracy!

quote:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/st-pete-parking-garage-revolt-update-717-parking-is-sorry-20190322/

St. Pete parking garage revolt update: 717 Parking is sorry.

The garage operator, 717 Parking, will also offer free parking at the garage on March 30 from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 25, 2019

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Tampa Bay went up a man in the 20th minute at Indy Eleven tonight. They finished the game with exactly zero shot attempts on goal :stonk:

Yes it has been a frustrating year so far, in spite of the Rowdies still being undefeated.

Much better than the last year or two, Rowdies can actually win on the road now, and come from behind to win, which is a nice change.

But they keep dropping points at home with ties, and now dropping points a man up on the road.

We'll be the first team not to qualify for the playoffs while remaining undefeated, with all these ties, if that is statistically possible.

Rowdies offense and finishing still a big hole in their overall game plan though. Defense much better than last year, which is all that is keeping them competitive so far.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

This is a weird feeling; Tampa Bay Rowdies spent 5 years under Bill Edwards ownership spending a lot of money on expensive players and under performing, yet here we are 10 games into the Rays ownership era undefeated, able to win games on the road for a change, but also dropping points at home which we didn't use to do, all with a younger and less experienced team.

Feels fragile so I don't want to jinx it.

Guess next home game against the Baby Bulls will be pretty pivotal match for the season as the Rowdies and RB II are tied for points at the top of the table, with the Baby Bulls having a match in hand.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Rowdies beat Baby Bulls 2-0; Rowdies now are top of the Eastern table....

....until the Baby Bulls play their next game; they have a game in hand so can easily jump right back to the top of the table if they win it.

Really wish American soccer could adhere more strictly to a proper schedule so we didn't have to constantly make these "games in hand" mental calculations.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Aggro posted:

It happens in the EPL all the time with teams’ obligations in domestic and international cups.

I know but USL really doesn't have that problem.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

So with the Rowdies winning and the Baby Bulls losing this weekend, that makes the Rowdies the Beasts of the East. :v:

For now; multiple other teams still have a game or two in hand. :ohdear:

Weird feeling being on the top of the table for a change; hope the Rowdies can keep this up and win some silverware this season. :bandwagon:

Also Ralph's Mob tifo game is very good (Ralph-zilla, and, uh, Pelican-ra? Pete-ra?); tifo images from this Saturday's match stolen shamelessly off of social media. :ninja:

https://www.ralphsmob.com/tifo-gallery

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 27, 2019

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Charleston Battery have sold their stadium.

https://www.postandcourier.com/busi...c4bbe3e2c4.html

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Bit of 1970s Rowdies trivia I did not know.

quote:

https://bhamnow.com/2019/05/31/soccers-tampa-bay-rowdies-and-birmingham-are-forever-connected-by-the-rowdies-fight-song/

Soccer’s Tampa Bay Rowdies and Birmingham are forever connected by fight song

On Saturday, June 1st, one of U.S. Soccer’s most legendary teams, the Tampa Bay Rowdies will be taking on the Birmingham Legion F.C. at BBVA Field on the campus of UAB.

Unbeknownst, to both USL teams – the Rowdies famous fight song “Kick in the Grass” was written about 45 years ago by Birmingham native Ed Boutwell, founder of Boutwell Studios and a resident of Episcopal Place.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Previous seasons: Al Lang was a fortress but the Rowdies could not earn points on the road.

This season: Rowdies keep winning on the road but keep dropping points at home.

Not going to try to figure this one out, just enjoying the (very weird) ride.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

For some time now the Tampa Bay Rowdies have been on top of the USLC Eastern Conference, but with multiple games in hand over other teams, in particular now, Indy Eleven with two games in hand; Indy could jump 1 point ahead of the Rowdies if they win both of those games in hand, and it's been like this every week I've checked now for a few weeks; no idea when Indy are going to catch up with the Rowdies to even the games played, and I am too lazy to look up the remaining schedule, but interesting to watch anyway; best thing the Rowdies can do is keep winning, of course. :v:

Speaking of which, here's some nice goals from the Swope Park Rangers 1-3 Tampa Bay Rowdies match yesterday; @0:16 minutes, nice buildup resulting in a bad clearance from the Rangers and a cross from #7 Yann Ekra and a header goal by #17 Juan Tejada; and @2:42 minutes, clever back heel from #13 Sebastian Guenzatti to #14 Malik Johnson, who gives a nice little zig-zag dribble inside the box & a confident finishing shot slotted in past the goalkeeper.

Tejada was an almost accidental discovery by the Rowdies; he was playing college footy in St. Pete for a few years without the Rowdies even being aware of him, apparently (Bill Edwards didn't put much money into scouting, it seems); it took the Lakeland Tropics to discover Tejada and make the Rowdies aware of him; he's young enough and good enough that I'm unsure how long he's going to be with the Rowdies. Such are the perils of lower league soccer fandom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WUZcsq1UKQ

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

This seems like a step backwards; Blackbaud Stadium (along with Columbus Crew Stadium) was the first USA SSS in the modern era, opening in 1999, and replacing Blackbaud with a downtown stadium only makes sense IMO if it is an actual downtown SSS controlled by the club, and not a dilapidated city owned high school football stadium that won't even be available for use next year.

quote:

https://www.postandcourier.com/spor...de2a541787.html

Charleston Battery moving downtown for larger audience, but issues abound with new stadium

This doesn't seem to be a terribly well thought out move:

quote:

So, where will the Charleston Battery play in 2020? The Citadel’s Johnson Hagood Stadium, which is across the street from Stoney Field, is a longshot option. The club has met with Citadel officials, but a deal doesn’t seem likely.

“I think the sale of the stadium was a little premature,” Ross said. “I was a little shocked because if I was an owner of a USL franchise, I probably wouldn’t have sold my stadium until I had another facility ready to go.”

The team could opt not to play in 2020 and relaunch in 2021 when they are able to secure a permanent facility, but Kelleher said the team’s plan is play next season.

“I was a little shocked because if I was an owner of a USL franchise, I probably wouldn’t have sold my stadium until I had another facility ready to go.”

Yeah.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

https://www.stumptownfooty.com/port...s-a-possibility

PORTLAND TIMBERS 2

Could Timbers 2 be playing in a lower division in the future? It’s a possibility

According to recent reports, Timbers 2 and other MLS-affiliated USL teams could be “relegated” to USL League One in the near future

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

I'm all for that. Just by looking at attendance, there's a black hole with the 2s of the Championship.

Which brings up the debate as to whether footy should be organized by strictly business concerns, or by sporting merit.

From a business and fan perspective, having to play against reserve teams in empty stadiums isn't good business, isn't good optics, isn't a good fan experience and results in poor atmosphere.

On the other hand, if you are an organization like the New York Red Bulls and you want your reserve team to play against superior opposition, you would rather have them in the USL Championship, where they play at a higher level (and have done rather well indeed); the Baby Bulls aren't going to face the same level of play in USL League One, and their ability to train and retain superior reserve talent will presumably suffer as a result.

Ideally if MLS teams want their reserve teams to play in the USL Championship, they should put some real effort into marketing and promoting their reserve teams and attracting actual fans to reserve team games, but that's obviously not going to happen in most cases.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Ciprian Maricon posted:

#2: USL is infinitely more fun when its the teams that give a poo poo and they should probably shed the MLS affiliated teams that suck down to the USL League One

Well, the Baby Bulls are at the top of the Eastern Conference table, and they have been very good for a number of seasons now. They obviously give a poo poo. Maybe their fans don't, but that's a separate issue.

Rowdies are behind the Baby Bulls, one point out of first place; but Indy still has two games in hand.

We weren't expecting much out of the Rowdies this year, so every week they have spent at the top or near the top of the table has been a pleasant surprise. Still, they keep dropping points they shouldn't have dropped, and losing to top table teams like the Baby Bulls and NCFC, so I don't expect them to go too far in the playoffs. This is still a rebuilding year for coach Neill Collins, I think.

In other news, the Rays ownership have slashed next year's ticket prices at Al Lang, doing away with the high ticket price regime left over from the Bill Edwards ownership era. They are also instituting a supporters standing section for Ralph's Mob directly behind the goal, moving them down from under the roof overhang bleachers where they currently reside. Attendance has dropped a bit this year so I imagine the Rays ownership has spent this year analyzing ticket prices and marketing and things will be different next year.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Rowdies came back from two goals down and a man down to tie Louisville 2-2 in Louisville's tiny astroturf plastic pitch inna baseball stadium, with something like 7 minutes left on the clock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqwiHcbiHOs

So not bad; the Rowdies haven't had a lot of come-from-behinds like this, this year (have they had any at all?). They will need more performances like this if they are going to advance far into the playoffs.

Now, if they just don't blow any more points needlessly in their last three games, they might actually accomplish something this year.

The top of the USL Championship Eastern Conference table is just insanely tight right now. Unlike the Western Conference.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

https://www.frontrowsoccer.com/2019/09/29/no-room-at-the-inn-cosmos-trying-to-find-a-league-may-not-play-in-2020/

NO ROOM AT THE INNS?: Cosmos, trying to find a league, may not play in 2020

Rocco B Commisso: “If they don’t let the Cosmos play, what can I do?” (FrontRowSoccer.com Photo)

UNIONDALE, N.Y. — Cosmos owner Rocco B. Commisso hasn’t decided yet, but he admits that it has been difficult to find a league in which his team can compete next year.

“It’s a tough decision,” Commisso said at halftime of the Cosmos’ 3-1 win over Chattanooga FC at Mitchel Athletic Complex Saturday night. “I have not made up my mind yet. Clearly, if nobody let’s us play, how can we play? NISA doesn’t want us, the NPSL doesn’t want us and I’m just not going to field a team of amateurs. That’s not the Cosmos.”

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Missed opportunity for a club called Boston Wanderers FC, if you ask me.

Boston Wonder Workers, the only football club named after a tugboat (as far as I know).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Soccer_Club

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Boston_Wonder_Workers_players

https://books.google.com/books?id=1...workers&f=false

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

camoseven posted:

Cosmos fans were that way in NASL as well

Yes, Ralph's Mob (Tampa Bay Rowdies) had problems with them in the NASL too. Ralph's Mob got along fine with most supporter groups - Ft. Lauderdale Strikers, Miami FC, Jacksonville Armada, etc., no problems; but for whatever reason there seemed to be a small hardcore of wannabe hooligans in the NY Cosmos, Atlanta Silverbacks, and Orlando City supporter groups.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Popoi posted:

Tampa Bay and New York both poo poo the bed against teams that aren't even in playoff contention tonight and Louisville took care of business, so it looks like we weren't done with Slugger Field after all!

Yes the Rowdies started off the first half of the season well but the second half has been like a balloon slowly deflating as they kept dropping points to teams they should have been able to beat. Very frustrating but there's always next year, and we had considerably lower expectations of them when the season first started, so, oh well. They have never beaten Louisville on that god awful cramped artificial turf baseball field and I don't expect that to change any time soon.

On the other hand I hand I had a chance to visit Dillon Stadium in Hartford for this last match of the USL season, and they had about 4,600+ more or less, IIRC, announced attendance, and look like a pretty well run club. I would expect them to do better next year as they settle into their new home field for a full normal season.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 21, 2019

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Charleston Battery: we need to sell our 20 year old SSS so we can move downtown.

Also Charleston Battery: we're moving to a different location in the suburbs! :v:

quote:

https://www.postandcourier.com/spor...3ef7f6bf1c.html

Charleston Battery no longer moving downtown, set to play 2020 season in Mount Pleasant

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Austin: We're naming our Championship club "Austin Bold FC"

San Diego: hold my beer

Lessail posted:

looks like a laundry detergent logo

Nostradingus posted:

Here's hoping this leads to a long tradition of teams with names that are adjectives.

Welcome, Duluth Thoughtful FC

[sperg]

I know I'm a broken record on this topic but I really wish the people choosing these names would, instead of either 1) aping European or Latin American club naming conventions that they don't understand, or 2) using mindless and meaningless adjectival names that don't mean anything to anybody, would instead spend a few days, weeks, months or even years actually studying the history of association football both in the USA and worldwide, as well as the history of the community they are choosing the name for, and come up with a name that has some kind of historical connections to association football history and/or to the history of the community in question, as well as, hopefully, being a fairly unique name within the context of USA soccer as it currently exists.

In other words, do we really need any more teams named United, FC, SC, or City, when other soccer club names with some history behind them are being virtually unused today in MLS and USL: Celtic, Rangers, Rovers, Wanderers, Juniors being some common examples, but, I dunno, why not get even more obscure: Academicals, Skolars (actually a rugby league club name IIRC, but I like it!), Thistle, Skeeters (an old ASL club), Torpedo, Wednesday, Arsenal, Hotspur, etc. If they are going to copy European club names they should at least mix it up a bit and add some more variety to the club names on the MLS/USL league tables.

And if they are going to use initial letters let us see something besides just FC or SC over and over again: why no AFC (Association Football Club), SFC (Soccer Football Club - 'soccer football' once being a common term used in the USA), AC (Athletic Club, or Associazione Calcio), and so on.

And there's nothing wrong with reviving old NASL and ASL club names, or reusing common nicknames from other North American sports which aren't currently being used in MLS or USL: Lions and Tigers and Bears oh my!

[/sperg]

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 4, 2019

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Lions and Tigers are both cursed teams from Detroit.

Detroit Cougars it is! :v:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Cougars_(soccer)

Edit to add: or Detroit Wolverines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Detroit_Wolverines_(soccer)_players

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Soccer_Football_League

The league jumping saga of the New York Cosmos continues:

Also Charleston Battery have a new owner:

quote:

https://www.postandcourier.com/spor...15d8114ee5.html

Charleston Battery sold to new owner after 3 tumultuous years under former leadership

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 13, 2019

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Isn't Canada the country where two handegg teams were both named the Roughriders

Well they did develop independently of each other, historically, in different leagues, and clubs from the opposite ends of Canada used to never meet each other except in the Grey Cup final, so it makes perfect sense.

Having multiple clubs with the same nickname really isn't a problem if you think of them as independent clubs that happen to play in the same league (and then not necessarily all of the time, thanks to pro/rel and/or regional divisions and/or multiple concurrent league/cup competitions, etc.), rather than being merely part of a single "closed shop" business entity.

What's actually more artificial is the modern American "franchise" concept where you're designing team nicknames not to conflict with each other and to match some kind of weird marketing narrative a la what MLS tried to do circa 1996. That is far more artificial and weird then having multiple clubs named United or City, IMO.

That being said clubs choosing their own names from scratch with no prior history should still want to try for something a bit more unique - but hopefully they're doing it on their own initiative and not due to some kind of top-down MLS, USL, CPL, etc. marketing scheme.

Stiev Awt posted:

One was the Roughriders; the other one was the Rough Riders.

Correct, but the Ottawa Rough Riders are defunct and were later replaced with the Ottawa Redblacks, who according to this wiki own the rights to the Ottawa Rough Riders intellectual property, but can't use the Rough Riders name because of the Saskatchewan Roughriders enforcing their trademark - even though the Ottawa Rough Riders are by far the older club and had the name first. The history of the Ottawa Rough Riders club goes back to 1876; it seems like a waste not to keep the old name but that's what happens in our current intellectual property rights legal climate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_Rough_Riders

Tampa Bay Rowdies confirm return of nine players; will be interesting to see how Neill Collins rebuilds for next year; no idea about our loan players from Norwich City, but it would be nice to have Caleb Richards back next year.

Someone below is speculating about getting Luke Mulholland back from Real Salt Lake; Luke was last with the Rowdies when they won the NASL Soccer Bowl in 2012, so maybe he's our good luck charm? No idea how likely this is but interesting speculation nonetheless:

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

David Villa to be part of ownership of new USL club in New York City, named Queensboro FC.

Yes the greater New York City area should be able to support more than two soccer clubs.

Meanwhile, New York Cosmos owner arrogantly spins his wheels.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

Didn't the Cosmos owner apply to play in NISA next year? I guess we'll see what happens with that.

Yes, finally, but the Cosmos waited right up until the deadline to do that; Miami FC had already joined NISA back in August.

Still, it's NISA, which is a brand new semi-pro USSF Divison III league, which is going to be practically invisible in the greater NYC market, compared to MLS, or even compared to the USL Championship, assuming Queensboro FC can find a decent place to play in Queens.

That's a huge drop from what the Cosmos (or Miami FC) originally were planning to do; they could have buried the hatchet and merged with USL back when the NASL was imploding, but they thought they could sue their way to success, which has never worked in American sports (even if/when you win in court, you still lose), and I don't for a minute believe their BS about wanting an open pro/rel system or any of that nonsense.

Cosmos, thanks to their current/prior ownership, lost their fan base, lost their momentum, and lost any chance of getting a stadium built - not that there was a good chance of that, but it would have been more likely had they been able to draw a consistent fan base for the past few years, instead of effectively disappearing from the NYC market.

So Queensboro FC is just another reminder that the Cosmos have wasted several years that they could have used for building up a long term successful club and fan base, whether they are in NISA or not.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 18, 2019

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

So with Real Monarchs winning the USL Championship, Luke Mulholland has now been on three 2nd division championship teams - Minnesota Stars and Tampa Bay Rowdies in NASL and now Real Monarchs in USL.

I'm probably not the only person wondering if the Rowdies can get Luke for next season, since he's not playing in MLS currently. He seems to be a 2nd division good luck charm or something .

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Popoi posted:

Apparently Miami FC have decided to tale the opportunity to jump to USLC via Ottawa's franchise rights, which is pretty interesting given Inter Miami's 2 team will be starting up in USL1 next year as well.

https://www.uslchampionship.com/news_article/show/1070305

Yeah I noticed that. Finally the Rowdies have an in-state Florida rival in USL, first time since Orlando City B back in...umm...2017. Nothing will be quite like 2016 NASL though, with four Florida teams.

Now the Cosmos really are left all alone, not that they had a lot of friends or allies to begin with, now that Miami FC are in USL, after all that fuss, which the Cosmos and Miami FC could have avoided, and saved everyone a lot of pointless drama, and just merged with USL back when NASL was collapsing.

Also apparently the Rowdies U23 team is coming back too, to USL League Two. Bring your lawn chairs to the Tomato Patch! (Assuming that's where they'll be playing again, that is.)

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 16, 2019

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Free admission friendly tomorrow (Wed. Jan. 8th) in St. Pete.

quote:

https://www.rowdiessoccer.com/news_article/show/1075077

FREE ADMISSION TO BUNDESLIGA FRIENDLY WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 8

An incredible opportunity to watch Bundesliga soccer awaits fans in Tampa Bay next week when Eintracht Frankfurt and Hertha Berlin contest a winter friendly at Al Lang Stadium on Wednesday, January 8.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 8, 2020

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

USL 2020 schedule is out.

Good crowd at Al Lang the other night, apparently.

Zee Germans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

A bit of Rowdies news.

quote:

https://www.rowdiessoccer.com/news_article/show/1078173

ROWDIES LAUNCH WPSL TEAM IN PARTNERSHIP WITH PINELLAS COUNTY UNITED SC

quote:

https://www.uslleaguetwo.com/news_article/show/1077966

Tampa Bay Rowdies Add U23 Team in USL League Two