Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Title is perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

Hi here's a drive-by effortpost on Detroit City FC:

I assume in terms of NPSL, Detroit City FC is an organization whose reputation has largely outstripped the actual size and budget of the club, largely on the back of their Northern Guard Supporters. Easy to love, easier to hate, they're a driving force behind DCFC's reputation.

2018:
Coming off of a spectacular playoff run in 2017 ending in a national semifinal appearance, 2018 was a year marked by notable organizational progress and growth moreso than league results, as they finished 4th of 7 (5-4-3) in conference play, far outside a playoff spot. Buoyed by a schedule that included Liga MX's Club Necaxa, Serie A side Frosinone Calcio, and Bundesliga 2's FC St Pauli, they played for an average 5,946 fans including a new record attendance of 7,887 against Frosinone at Keyworth Stadium.

St. Pauli was hands down my favorite weekend of the year, where they made one of two US tour stops with a weekend full of events, including a panel on community-oriented soccer, a meet-and-greet, as well as a Rise Against concert the night before the match. At the end of the day, St. Pauli is still a pro club and DCFC never stood a chance on the pitch, losing 6-2. The result hardly mattered, though, as it was a surreal experience getting drunk with a bunch of German footballers who came here to see our little club. Very cool.

2019:
During the offseason, the club opened the Detroit City Fieldhouse and Clubhouse, a facility with two indoor turf fields as well as a bar and restaurant overlooking them both, all run with the same ethos that guides the club itself.
A planned jump to the NPSL's new professional league has resulted in some major changes, as well. The departure of an owner to head up USL Hartford, a new head coach, a partnership with one of the larger youth clubs in the region, additional stadium renovations including new turf, plans to continue an amateur squad and start a women's team, promises of fair, living wages for professional players, etc. In addition to intra-club matters, they'll be gaining some semblance of competition from the new USL League One team, Lansing Ignite.
They have already announced three returning players for the professional roster: Club legends Cyrus Saydee and Tyrone Mondi alongside former Pittsburgh Riverhound Bakie Goodman. Excitement among the fanbase is at an all-time high, and expectations will be even higher.

Just reminded me that I never picked up my season ticket for this year. Damnit

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Aggro posted:

If anyone wants to watch some fourth division soccer today, you'd find it hard to beat the match-up between Detroit City FC and AFC Ann Arbor.

DCFC is 8-0-2 in their last 10, which included 844 minutes without conceding a goal. They gave up 3 goals in their home opener, and did not concede again until Friday night. They then managed to score a dramatic tying goal at the death.

They drew AFCAA earlier in the season, and a win today for either team would secure a playoff spot. A draw would allow Grand Rapids FC a chance to claw back in, as they have a guaranteed win today against the garbage of FC Indiana.

This is about the closest thing the Midwest NPSL has to a rivalry, and the stakes are "high".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEWJwj6tE1k

3-1 to the good guys!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Aggro posted:

Detroit City FC is a team that competed in the NPSL this year, and is only becoming a professional team when the next NISA season starts.

Yesterday, they beat Guadalajuaran Liga MX side Atlas 2-1! I don’t know if this says more about the quality of Liga MX or DCFC, but it’s impressive nonetheless.

Also, if anyone in NYC/Long Island wants to go to the DCFC/Cosmos game on October 12th, I’ll be there in rouge and gold.

I was there last night and it looked like Atlas threw the game. That first goal looked so so bad.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

I will be there!

It was largely the same squad that beat Club America a few days ago, apparently. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don't doubt it, the cynic in me pictures a scenario where the visiting team was awarded a good sum of cash to show up and not get trounced like the past two international teams that came did.

Was a perfect night for a match though, had an absolute blast as usual. Tried the bacon beignets for the first time. Just wow.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Not sure if this is publicly viewable, but this was a great goal I thought.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2KuiUmFkjA/?igshid=1xtpsavp56tc9

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Do over Ham posted:

[sperg]

I know I'm a broken record on this topic but I really wish the people choosing these names would, instead of either 1) aping European or Latin American club naming conventions that they don't understand, or 2) using mindless and meaningless adjectival names that don't mean anything to anybody, would instead spend a few days, weeks, months or even years actually studying the history of association football both in the USA and worldwide, as well as the history of the community they are choosing the name for, and come up with a name that has some kind of historical connections to association football history and/or to the history of the community in question, as well as, hopefully, being a fairly unique name within the context of USA soccer as it currently exists.

In other words, do we really need any more teams named United, FC, SC, or City, when other soccer club names with some history behind them are being virtually unused today in MLS and USL: Celtic, Rangers, Rovers, Wanderers, Juniors being some common examples, but, I dunno, why not get even more obscure: Academicals, Skolars (actually a rugby league club name IIRC, but I like it!), Thistle, Skeeters (an old ASL club), Torpedo, Wednesday, Arsenal, Hotspur, etc. If they are going to copy European club names they should at least mix it up a bit and add some more variety to the club names on the MLS/USL league tables.

And if they are going to use initial letters let us see something besides just FC or SC over and over again: why no AFC (Association Football Club), SFC (Soccer Football Club - 'soccer football' once being a common term used in the USA), AC (Athletic Club, or Associazione Calcio), and so on.

And there's nothing wrong with reviving old NASL and ASL club names, or reusing common nicknames from other North American sports which aren't currently being used in MLS or USL: Lions and Tigers and Bears oh my!

[/sperg]

Lions and Tigers are both cursed teams from Detroit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

https://imgur.com/a/Z4rNgOk (how the hell do I get an embed link on mobile??)

Checked into my hotel in Nashville and was welcomed with this sign. Going to peacock my DCFC shirt that I brought.