Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.
Why would you want to hit a setting that just "Makes game take longer with no other effects."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

A!

Though normally i'd pick nomads if i was trying to win, a bonus that falls off doesn't matter if it puts us ahead now.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Creative, :sparkles:

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

How long have you been playing? Because so far it feels like these updates could be summarized as "A fat load of nothing happens".

Also all the things like education and health, feel so tacked on to the CIV4 game, when they feel like they should just be a game of their own.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

quote:

There's a certain hypocrisy that game aficionados possess these days in many cases. They are quick to complain that there's not enough content in a game - it played through too fast so wasn't developed enough, but also just as fast to complain when something seems too involved. So what do you want? To be engaged into play or not? When you're enjoying a game or a story, do you want it to end before you tire of it or do you want it to go on as long as you can keep enjoying it? I understand all things are a matter of striking the right balance, particularly where interest and enjoyment are concerned. I also understand that many people will look at this game and get intimidated. Even children get tired of hunting Easter Eggs by the end of the day. So I get it. BUT, this is a turn based strategy game that's intended to be experienced rather than simply beaten and that experience should be truly epic. I mean the subject matter begs for it, does it not? We're talking about a game that covers all of human history and everything we suspect lies ahead. How can that NOT be a HUGE game? Why would one even want it to be a glossed over game without any finely detailed resolution on that one mega story - the story of Mankind as a whole?

Civ has always disappointed me with how much detail it lacks considering the topic matter. In Civ I I understood that it was due to limits in computing. Also true in II. Beyond that, it seems the limit is established by the public's overall terrible attention span rather than the limits of design. With C2C, one should find it has made them smarter, wiser, deeper and has given them new perspectives on every aspect of Humanity's existence just to have played it. And it should have been as realistic a simulation as possible, while maintaining a 'What if' element throughout it's design.

That said, where details are concerned, the team has a deep and rich history of arguing savagely over various subjects. And how much to include or not include has always been a big one. I don't agree with everything we have in the game being there, but I also understand this is a conglomeration of donated efforts and I tend to defend the works of others because I know it was all a labor of love by those who contributed. You'd also find, that as the mod's team leader, I'm trying to address each individual problem with a sense of prioritization. Some building reviews to get them to work a bit more in harmony with one another, particularly through era upgrades and in resource generation and consumption, are pending much more development soon. But y'know, this ship IS huge and it's like trying to drive a barge... it takes a lot of time to make any large adjustments. My traits took 3-4 years to develop alone.

When a game designer has to insult the audience rather than ask why their project isn't beloved, they really don't even deserve the benefit of being criticized.

But the answer is blunt, A large experience needs to have more enjoyment/hour than a smaller more bite sized experience. As it turns out, that is very very hard.
Our LPer has played 24 hours, a casual run of...pick a game of pokemon for instance generally is about 20 hours. And almost certainly would have been a more fun eventful experience.
When people ask for more content they are not asking for more time wasted, they are asking for there to be more things to do in the amount of time spent, your mod is the definition of lacking content as huge as it is, because there is very little to do for long long stretches.

And not killing things just because they are someone's babies? You are a game designer, you should know game design 101 is "Kill your babies".

quote:

With C2C, one should find it has made them smarter, wiser, deeper and has given them new perspectives on every aspect of Humanity's existence just to have played it. And it should have been as realistic a simulation as possible, while maintaining a 'What if' element throughout it's design.

Looking at the civics and :biotruths: do you really want my honest response to that?

Jossar posted:

I'm not sure what could be done about that, even if the game was built from scratch (which I recognize is not practical here based on what the dev said), because it's a common strategy game problem. Design it as some kind of variant city builder instead?

It's scope expansion, you have a bunch of mechanics that work fine with 1-4 cities and then break down at 15+.
I would argue this happens to strategy games because expansion comes by adding new "cities" rather than just slowly pulling out.

Sure when you are a city state you build individual buildings, but when you are a Nation State you should instead be building a "University grant" that when finished creates a "Universal secondary Education" project.

WhitemageofDOOM fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 17, 2019

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Jossar posted:

I'm going to half disagree on this and say that's the one problem that is at least recognized. Even though you mechanically reach the post-Earth content by adding new cities, those cities have different building trees and are eventually meant to be much different in scale from your earlier cities. So even if what you list here isn't quite executed perfectly, the devs did think about how things should zoom out, as far as they could twist the baseline Civ mechanics for a single map.

But the fact that it takes until the Nanotech era for stuff like that to start showing up is pretty indicative of an emphasis on trying to plan things out on the basis that players will reach that far in the game despite the fact that the gameplay has been otherwise the same for a very long time.

It wasn't meant on the devs of this and more a general issue with strategy games.
More of a "Why does civ have mechanics for cities that when you have 50 are micro hell, and not mechanics for running your empire that scale to the intended scale?".

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

The real answer is that no one starts in australia.
And when you get there you get the natural wonder "Set this loving hellhole ablaze".

Then the giant death forest burns down, and you get the giant death desert we all know and love.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Talking about tech weirdness in this mod like its not an often mocked part of all Civ games seems a tad odd.

Why can't i research printing press in the classical era?

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

So do we have myth :shittydog: yet?
While i'm all for genetically engineered super death canine squads destroying the equivalent tech tanks trivially.

There is not 6,000 turns from now to consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

I would say bears because bears, but rhinos are available now and are bloodthirsty berserkers that don't stop until their army is dead....with splash.