Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Religions and cultures should be chosen according to their ability to enable blood sacrifice, forcing dominion in the rest of the world, cause rains of jaguars and devour the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

:flashfact: Fun Fact: The Hammurabi Code contains what is considered the first insurance contract! The king agreed to pay any farmer a year's worth of wealth if their harvest was lost to catastrophe or war.

I'll... I'll go home now with my weird insurance history.

Actually it's pretty interesting. Legal systems from the edge of known history are amusing because they don't give a poo poo about a pretend universality in their principles and basically go "and, of course, if the harvest is poo poo, your creditors can go gently caress themselves for this year at least, maybe the next as well, if it is exceptionally bad in the western delta" and I like that.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

When your tech tree has a minimap at the bottom that shows it to be like 80% tech, 0% breathing room and 100% a kilometre long, you have to pay attention.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Post away, I just I'll contribute to the postcount to make space between the updates.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Financial and Covetous because might as well get bad side with the good one.

Sounds like we're gonna be able to hit time compression for everything up to compass or whatever enables deep water navigation, perhaps star gazing and pirogues, or some ME merchant culture.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Honestly, I expected something quite unlike that, and more, you know, geared towards underhandedly grabbing other's stuff and making them resent you for it.

I'm gonna stick to stupid FFH modmods.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Good to know.

Now the real question I have it about the ten loving thousand negative traits available, and the positive ones, too. Did they just take all the combinations of all possible modifiers at a set strength and tried to find a name for each or something?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I've never seen a spying system that didn't make me hate it at first sight in a 4X game, so this is good news.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

OOrochi posted:

Well, that is certainly not a person I expected to see.

How naive, he was foreordained to appear the moment we saw that Alpha / Beta / Omega poo poo.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Bash That Fash.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Remove covetous. It's been a good joke, but it's also a bad joke that needs to go.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm looking at those traits with ten thousand modifiers, and I'm just gonna sigh.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm gonna go for strategist and naive and gently caress everything up again.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Unless there's something profoundly stupid and / or detailed that you feel worthy of making a point about, like terrain elevation impacting an air pressure variable impacting slinger performance.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Building cultures, if I had to guess.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Somehow it's not the misused -punk, nor the questionable ideas backed into some of the early game that got me sigh. It's the fact that they are goldbugs. In the year 2020.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Ideology is a powerful force.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, go ahead with that, it'll be a good thing to tide us over to Brad Wardell, if he's still the boss on GalCiv and given that post above, I suspect he is, losing tons of money in cryptocurrency poo poo.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Anticheese posted:

He is, and is still CEO of Stardock. And I didn't even touch on the fact that the deep lore of the series is a Silmarillion knockoff with Morgoth scratched out and his old screen name scribbled in on top.

Science fiction and fantasy are so nice, because they tell you so much about the author.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A world wonder that is entirely about parachuting harry potter fanfic on impoverished nations to enlighten the savage population.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

One of those quote had an amazing author though.

Well, she was definitely competent.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Pick whatever you wish, don't bother with more votes, those traits read like a cookbook and work like a kitchen sink. Just hammer us with the next new poo poo, like Oskar Dirlewanger as a German national hero so we can tell the devs to gently caress off again.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A blind stab in the dark, but, yes, let's kill the moon nazis.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

So, both time and the Sun are flat circles.

Also, I'm looking at that minimap and feeling pretty queasy, this is gonna be great.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

On the one hand that would be very collar-tuggy, on the other hand the gall of it and the possibility for it to be an indictment of the related events... On the third hand, the rest of the mod doesn't really let one entertain that possibility.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I note that internet ads are things you can build now. Unless they are a crime building, which would be more appropriate.

Also that quote from the Planetary Resources CEO guy? That's a real quote, by a real person from a real company, it failed completely and got bought out by a bitcoin investment fund.

Yeah.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm kinda sad that the hatchet warrior isn't a juggalo, missed opportunity.

I also wouldn't do anything from bikeback, when charging on a horse, the horse is self stabilizing and helped by its own mass, same for charging infantry, a bike is light and doesn't self stabilize. Even the recoil from a bow could gently caress up your balance.

Although bikes have been used to move large amounts of infantry from one point to another, a number of D-day units in the latter waves had bikes, I remember pictures of Canadian landing craft full of bikes that infantry would use to get closer to the frontline faster.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Might make an opposition faction adding a little spice and excitement to the game.

You know what to do.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Subdued Blue-footed Bobby (1) Barbarian

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A TvTropes link is worth the same sort of reaction than the goldbug bits.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Nobody will buy a wedding dress when the nanites let them custom make their own!

But also yes, yes it is.

I mean, you can make your own with smart dust, but you'd still want someone who knows how to make you look good to give you a general idea of what shape to give the dress.

Hm, bridal counselor structure when?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I must object to the very idea of police cats, as Jean Cocteau said, one should like cats because there are no police cats, it is part of their charm.

Also, seeing a solar rail in such a literal interpretation is pretty funny.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

So, what age are the other civs at right now? Are there still middle age knights watching strings of silver spread out through the night sky?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

TBH I kinda like this part, the gaggle of techs overflowing all over the place are probably very annoying to deal with, but at least they speak of imagination, even if cribbed elsewhere.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Indeed, those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it, but without that sense of irony that adds that piquant je-ne-sais-quoi that helps bring it together.

Besides, by now, many a Mongol has left behind their leg, or their entire body. Or bodies, even.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

kw0134 posted:

I like how the Earth is rejuvenated, just in time to pave it all under to turn it into Holy Terra.

Look, it has really great loving parks, you can have a local public service node materialize a swarm of drones so you can start a little expedition in the global jungle outside of the lattice of shining towers of perfect chrome and glowing blue crystals.

You might even meet some primitives with their adorably quaint nuclear tanks.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

"hitler is here, so we can kill him" is at least a very straightforward defense. That's not a compliment but I guess it kinda is too.

I mean, that's a totally valid defense. I like killing Hitler too.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I think we're at the point where the average citizen is to Doctor Manhattan what Doctor Manhattan used to be to the average citizen.

Also, RIP Time Cube guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

To be entirely honest, there's a lot of pokes that can be directed at SA and goons that are entirely correct.

"At hostpital lost fingat post mote later."

-- Ranccor

Is a perfect quote for anything related to explosives.