Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The Colonel posted:

"rorona should be straight so that we can piss off the market of people that gust specifically damaged the series' reputation trying to appeal to who are almost totally irrelevant in this situation" might be the worst take to ever be devised on the second loving page of an atelier thread

I enjoy the obviously throwaway joke part of my post being what everyone replies to.

It's the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Recent studies suggest that alchemists reproduce asexually, like Liverworts. In this essay, I will

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/eJf01odQyCgDEJz/status/1093140867773157377

A Sometimes Food posted:

Sired: Gio x Meruru's Dad

ok you have me beat

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
drat. i can't believe i got mind gamed into thinking someone had zero thought about how gay people interact and relate with media because of a post built on a common sentiment held by people who have zero consideration for that exact line of thought. a serious folly on my part

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

raising a kid is freaking hard, so i'm impressed with rorona no matter how she got her kid and i think it's incredibly weird how fixated people are getting on the possibility of rorona having a biological kid because that's far less important than actually being a good parent

in other news, Sunflower is stuck in my head on repeat, it's such a good and uplifting battle theme

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Yes, good

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The Colonel posted:

drat. i can't believe i got mind gamed into thinking someone had zero thought about how gay people interact and relate with media because of a post built on a common sentiment held by people who have zero consideration for that exact line of thought. a serious folly on my part

:allears:

Whatever, I've said before I'm mostly just wanting them to actually depict a romantic relationship in this game. This isn't a hill I'm gonna die on.

I know this is Atelier and that might be expecting the impossible but this is a game about the next generation, the older generation all still being single or "strongly implied but never confirmed" as with Totori and Mimi just feels more conspicuous this time around. And also like four games of nothing but subtext and teasing, but also a lot of subtext and teasing is starting to loving push it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Could you knock this off dude? It isn't really contributing anything and it's just being condescending to somebody on the internet for no reason.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

Could you knock this off dude? It isn't really contributing anything and it's just being condescending to somebody on the internet for no reason.

The Colonel posted:

I responded to snide with snide.

Edit: I already said I would stop. My bad.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

in other news, Sunflower is stuck in my head on repeat, it's such a good and uplifting battle theme

I really dig MARIA and the sentai Meruru theme.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It wouldn't even be the first time an Atelier starred the child of a famous alchemist who turned out to be a homunculus

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 9, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

It wouldn't even be the first time an Atelier starred the child of a famous alchemist who turned out to be a homunculus

Wait which one was that?

Iris 1?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

A Sometimes Food posted:

Wait which one was that?

Iris 1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPO2XhA5F3Q

I guess Lita was a secret homunculus too but she's not really a protagonist

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 9, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPO2XhA5F3Q

I guess Lita was a secret homunculus too but she's not really a protagonist

Ah I never played the MK games, never saw them in the shops/don't think they got an Aus release.

And yeah I was misremembering and conflating Iris and Lita. Haven't played Iris 1 in a LOOOONG time.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
What's the atelier to begin playing the atelier games with, on pc? important note: i rarely finish individual games let alone trilogies

e; second important note: im into homo stuff

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DisDisDis posted:

What's the atelier to begin playing the atelier games with, on pc? important note: i rarely finish individual games let alone trilogies

e; second important note: im into homo stuff

Totori or Sophie. Both have the payoffs for their respective homoness in sequels but I think just about every relationship in this series is a slow burn.

Totori is the better game but Sophie will potentially be cheaper

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Firis livepost: Liane is right, Firis is adorable

I remember hearing the game has a lot of missable stuff, is there any best practices to follow to avoid missing things or do I just gotta have a guide open?

I'm enjoying the general lack of direction. This first segment of the game at least feels a lot like Ayesha (with worse writing obviously): you're given an objective and a time limit and just told to get cracking. I like that gameplay loop a lot. Not enjoying the shoe dropping to make this game bad because it's been fine so far.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There are 5 total available alchemy towns. Three are locked behind a boat quest mid game (though one of them just requires turning around.) I think thats the major thing that can be missed since you only need 3.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If you're like me, you might worry about "wasting time" in side areas. Don't. There's always a point to them, and the deadline is very forgiving.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/Stellatiria/status/1094172201237000192

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This is not what I would have predicted a younger Ilmeria to look like. The Mysterious character designer really likes changing up the colors in their designs between games it seems, instead of keeping a constant color scheme.

e: the holster on her thigh that she uses to carry a book is amazing though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Hot take: so far, Firis is better than both Sophie and Shallie. I assume this will change eventually, but it starts strong

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/purple_terada/status/1094404266096087040

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

firis starts fine but then it gets demonstrably worse once you get to bridge city, and then gets a lot worse still once you finish the exam. i assume part of this is that they basically didn't have time to finish the game, so events are scarce on the ground and things get really grindy

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I used the FLiNG trainer to make some of the grind more bearable.

Max friendship level, Super Speed, Freeze time, pretty much all of it was needed.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah I had the same experience as Corn in the Bible with Firis.

I do think it's a very interesting game as far as trying to make an open world JRPG on a shoestring budget, but interesting only gets you so far.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lulu is going to have a quest where she tries to find out who the "dad" is and then you get to pick who it is or it just ends up being the horses poo poo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
"Mom you're awfully close to

Cordelia
Sterk
> Your Horse"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Go right to the source and ask the horse
He'll give you an answer that you'll endorse
He's always on a steady course

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the horse is actually cordelia or sterk after a freak accident

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

the horse is actually cordelia or sterk after a freak accident

journey of the cursed alchemist

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Ichikyo57/status/1094719410823184389

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I remember hearing about it but I forgot to brace myself for Escha being Roronaed

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

I remember hearing about it but I forgot to brace myself for Escha being Roronaed

lol yes and you also have to talk to her endlessly for padding purposes. you're gonna be in that city for like two loving hours of nothing

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

lol yes and you also have to talk to her endlessly for padding purposes. you're gonna be in that city for like two loving hours of nothing

That post wasn't quite live; I'm probably an hour into the city and I'm still enjoying myself. My hot take that this is better than Sophie is getting hotter by the second but it still hasn't descended anywhere near Shallie

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’m playing my first Atelier game, “Amazing Gunslinger Suelle”, right now. Excited to discover the answers to mysteries like what happened to the twins’ mom, or what does equip effect do

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
higher equipment effect means more damage output but i don't think it's clear whether it has a bigger effect than, say, your attack stat

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1095002970251513857

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have already filled my container in Firis

this is the first time I've ever filled up my container to the brim

e: oh this triggered learning a recipe to expand it. Sure, complaint withdrawn

ee: is there any way to check what kinds of subweapons characters use?

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

ee: is there any way to check what kinds of subweapons characters use?
Not really. It's not communicated very well. It took me an embarrassingly long time to realise that there are three slightly different kinds of swords.

I can just tell you, if you like. Which characters are you interested in?