Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I've played ayesha, rorona and escha and logy.

I like the goofy vibe of the first two. Escha and logy feels more serious.

Which of the other games are goofy as hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Sophie 2 is pretty goofy.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

lulua can be really funny sometimes

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Lydie and Sue is very silly a lot of the time. Probably the funniest non Arland game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lulua is the funniest atelier by far imo

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
So, I finally managed to beat Atelier Ryza 1, bringing my count of finished Atelier-games to 3 (Ayesha, Escher & Logy, and now this one.)

It only took me multiple years! Ha ha, man I'm so slow.

The game was fun, and I personally liked that I didn't have to min-max everything. I went into the final battle with penultimatish armor, 2x re-forged and boosted ultimate weapons on my main party and an Eternal Fear that was strong enough to one-shot everything on the final map, except for the final boss.

The first phase went down in two hits, and the second phase barely managed to get through my high defenses before my Eternal Fear damage raced it down. Oops. I guess I went a bit overboard with crafting there*.

Man, I love this dumb series and all the options to absolutely break the game. More RPGs should have fun crafting like this!

Now onwards to Ryza 2.

*ironically, my healing items were incredibly lovely, and if I hadn't absolutely overkilled offensive crafting, I would have been in a lot of trouble with my lovely healing ball and 1-2 slightly stale elixirs. :v:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Anyone got a tips and tricks post for atelier Ayesha in them (or on hand)? I could have sworn there was one that I read a while ago but I couldn’t find anything in the op or beforeiplay

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The thing I'd mostly say for Ayesha is that the time limit isn't very harsh but you probably won't get all events without a guide or new game plus, so use the characters you like. Witch girl is surprisingly important in the rest of the series, as is old guy. There's a few upgrades that will make spending your time more efficient but that's probably fairly obvious.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Erg posted:

Anyone got a tips and tricks post for atelier Ayesha in them (or on hand)? I could have sworn there was one that I read a while ago but I couldn’t find anything in the op or beforeiplay

With Ayesha, your main goal for the first part of the game is getting a bunch of special flowers. So if you need a direction to go in, generically, any time the game brings up flowers via an event or something, follow up on those quest lines. Another thing to cut down on time is that you can open up a big shortcut if you have Regina (who will be your first party member) in your party at the marshlands area to cut down on travel time. It's important to note that, unlike Arland, there's nothing that requires a certain amount of time in-game to pass; the entire game proceeds at your pace. As a small codicil to that, there is ONE thing that requires it to happen on a certain day, but it's optional and can be entirely missed (it's related to one of the special flowers). As is typical in Atelier games, spend the first 6 or 7 hours of the game fighting and gathering a lot; it doesn't do to be picky early on and if you don't fight, you'll be underleveled for the handful of required fights.

As mentioned above, the old guy party member is very important to the plot, and if you're wanting to see the canon ending, do everything major related to him as soon as possible, because if you go off to the final boss without seeing enough of his events, in particular a location that only opens up along his character quest line, you get locked out of it. I say final boss, but like the Arland games, the game only ends after a certain amount of time passes. This time is absolute and will never be extended or lessened, no matter what you do or don't do. Character affection levels are also important, as some important things won't trigger without those being high enough (like the aforementioned shortcut), which is also related to the DLC characters. To not sound like I'm picking names out of a phone book as to who they are, the two DLC characters are a black-haired girl and a robot girl with aqua hair with a giant wind-up spring on her back. Neither of these characters have events related to them, so their affection levels are irrelevant, but they are pretty strong. I'd advise only using them later in the game when you've gotten normal events out of the way.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 4, 2023

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
Just finished Ryza 3 just before the years end, enjoyed the game a lot despite having so many problems with the gameplay that have been already talked to death. But on the other hand I really really enjoyed the character interactions and liked how they tied up almost all plot points and character developments set up during the trilogy. I especially enjoyed Bos, he came such a long way since being an ugly rear end bully in the first game and seeing how hard he tries to act like he doesn't deeply cares about Ryza, Lent and Tao was adorable :3:
Too bad that Serri and especially Clifford didn't come back, but the game was already way too long I can't be too mad about their absence.

Worst part of the game was GUST being loving cowards and not letting Ryza and Klaudia kiss, but I didn't expect any better. :catstare:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They used up all their gay on Blue Reflection 2

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
I should really play Blue Reflection 2 shouldn’t I.

How’s the DLC situation is there anything meaningful or can I ignore them like the Ryza ones?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the dlc is just costumes and a single random scenario that adds nothing

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Yeah Ryza being envisioned as a trilogy set over three summers in the lives of these doofuses means we got a lot of good character growth.

Shame Ryza seems to accidentally fall into a solution to her "how do I stop my home island from loving sinking" quest more or less by accident, rather than it being a result of her studying, or some form of conflict (could have gone full anime trope: you get a party member who turns out to be a philusha queen, and they offer their stone to keep your Island going). But then, Ryza's arc was way more about finding herself and getting a little bit of respect from her peers rather than being hailed as the saviour of Kurken Island.

Character wrapup: good, the games dropping their already half-hearted anti-colonialist plot in favour of and then the Godking people that harnessed unfathomable powers got bored of having Minecraft Creative Mode, so they went Somewhere Randomly and forgot to both turn off their Magic Wikipedia or any of their incredibly dangerous technology, oops! - bad.

Alchemists. No sense of right and wrong.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Anyone playing Resna?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Yea

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yup

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Is it... Good? Or, I guess, good for a gacha at least?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It plays like a pretty standard mobage but it's cute and has a really high production value

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
How's the stamina system? Does it limit progressing through the story or is it applied to the crafting? I know barely nothing about the game but the opening video was very cute..

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The main story isn't stamina gated. Stamina seems to limit how much grinding you can do per day and how many times you can craft (separate meters)

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

i'm skipping Resna. It could be fantastic, but I know myself and gacha games, and i cannot be trusted to not overspend. I dumped way too much back in the day into Final Fantasy Record Keeper, almost fell into the trap again a year or two later with Brave Exvius.

I did a test a few years ago when Genshin Impact hit, to see if i wouldn't be tempted to spend if it was a more 'normal' RPG, and i was still overspending. Even GW2 I have a hard time stopping impulse purchases.

So despite my friends telling me how good Honk Honk Space Train is, or how much i want to try the new Atelier game, i won't.

Honestly, I still feel a mobile gacha title shouldn't be given a mainline number.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

You might wanna talk to somebody about that

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think any therapist would just tell him to keep on not playing gacha games.

Lots of people are compulsive gamblers and should avoid this stuff.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Thankfully it was never an amount that would endanger my livelihood, but it was more than I was comfortable with.

Record Keeper was the worst, i realized i spent like 500 bucks in one month on pulls for Celes and Locke. After that i kept a closer eye on it, but it was still more than i was willing to spend on a single game at once, much less multiple times.

Gensin i stopped myself BEFORE spending more than i would for the game had it been a full price title.

It's not even the gambling. I don't gamble. It's the FOMO. Limited time characters, especially since they tend to be statistically superior to otherwise available ones.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

akkristor posted:

Thankfully it was never an amount that would endanger my livelihood, but it was more than I was comfortable with.

Record Keeper was the worst, i realized i spent like 500 bucks in one month on pulls for Celes and Locke. After that i kept a closer eye on it, but it was still more than i was willing to spend on a single game at once, much less multiple times.

Gensin i stopped myself BEFORE spending more than i would for the game had it been a full price title.

It's not even the gambling. I don't gamble. It's the FOMO. Limited time characters, especially since they tend to be statistically superior to otherwise available ones.

Not to encourage you to play, since gacha gaming is probably good not to have as a hobby, but for me it helps with the FOMO when global has a delayed release schedule compared to the native server, because then I can "budget" my f2p currency for the upcoming characters I really want and skip the others.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
im saving for wilbell, personally

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Playing Resna, too. Pretty different tonally, in a good way, from much of the rest of the series, so I'm definitely here for where the story's going.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the villains are incredibly deranged and I'm here for it

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Also playing resna, really excited for chapter 4. I feel the pacing is good, and the polar alchemists are a wonderful flavor of bugnut insane.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
How good is Atelier Annie... I remember liking the characters but being very confused by the fusion mechanics

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

it's good and cute

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it's cute and funny and not a very good video game

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Saw someone next to me play the atelier gacha and it didn't look very good tbh. So many combat animations

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
I refuse to touch gacha games, because they're a vile further intrusion of the omnipresent tentacles of capitalism and rent-seeking. gently caress off with that poo poo.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Even if the plot is good (which I've honestly been skimming over and it hasn't grabbed me, but neither did the Ryza trilogy in many parts), Resleriana's gameplay is very boring and repetitive, like most gacha. Battles are spent mostly watching your normal attack skills and not using items, and item crafting is tapping a few menus and hoping for RNG to roll good level skills from the ones you can inherit.

I don't know why Gust insisted on labeling this a mainline series game. At least according to interviews there's actual games in the works.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

KariOhki posted:

I don't know why Gust insisted on labeling this a mainline series game.

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
I just finished Sophie, it was... weird? The pacing of the recipes was all over the place, it feels like I unlocked all the good stuff way too late and there is very few fights left after beating the final boss. I didn't vibe too much with the alchemy system, maybe I missed something but making high quality items requires a lot of investment between raising the quality of base materials and also trying to make them as big as possible to get the biggest bonus possible, but also that's on me because I didn't know about the best cauldron until literally the last hour of my playthrough.

But on the other hand Sophie is extremely likeable and adorable :3: and the whole game is so nice and relaxing, I really enjoyed it! The character design is kind of all over the place but I liked the whole cast, I hope I'll be able to see them again during the rest of the trilogy...

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

microfolk posted:

I just finished Sophie, it was... weird? The pacing of the recipes was all over the place, it feels like I unlocked all the good stuff way too late and there is very few fights left after beating the final boss. I didn't vibe too much with the alchemy system, maybe I missed something but making high quality items requires a lot of investment between raising the quality of base materials and also trying to make them as big as possible to get the biggest bonus possible, but also that's on me because I didn't know about the best cauldron until literally the last hour of my playthrough.

But on the other hand Sophie is extremely likeable and adorable :3: and the whole game is so nice and relaxing, I really enjoyed it! The character design is kind of all over the place but I liked the whole cast, I hope I'll be able to see them again during the rest of the trilogy...

Without commenting in particular on which characters return and which ones don't in the sequels, I will say Sophie has the distinction of being the only character in all 4 Mysterious games who is playable in each title. So if you like her, better get used to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

microfolk posted:

There are very few fights left after beating the final boss.

Is that... not how it works? Barring Superbosses that chill somewhere in the world like... *google* Sealed Disaster, Ruler of Wind, Ruler of Light , and Twin Dragons, that's the biggest challenge for the average player.

also dang I still haven't finished Sophie 2 because Ryza's node system atrophied my brain and I can't get used to Sophie 2's synthesis system.