Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

The Hero overview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?
Is Cason going to be a sword Hero and Ashley the shield Hero?

Neat way to handle it, and gets the cast to a nice 20. I hate that there’s not 20 classes, 19 is an ugly number.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Oublietteer posted:

Is Cason going to be a sword Hero and Ashley the shield Hero?

Yup yup.

We originally had two Heroes for different reasons, but after we actually saw the Hero skills we decided to make the two split by sword/shield.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

The Farmer overview.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I like the way they revamped Farmer for Nexus. I do wish they'd gotten Survivalist's Efficiency too, though, since that would be very thematic, but maybe that would've tipped the scale too much in their favor.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It's pretty interesting how they handled Farmer in this game. They had some potential in EO3, but the biggest problem back then was that even if you tried to unironically use a Farmer in that game, they wouldn't do much in big fights. They certainly made up for it big time since Item Echo and Final Secret really fix that problem. Final Secret is pretty much the best Force Break in the game, and is the biggest selling point of a main party Farmer. If you slapped that Force Break onto another class, it would be flat out broken.

That said, it's not all sunshine and rainbows. Their earlygame is really not that great. Item Echo is strong, but due to how the questionable the consumable item distribution in this game is, there's not much to actually use it on until a good ways into the game. And to make continuous use of said items, you have to farm up the materials constantly. Not too bad if the items are made from gathering point resources, but if they're made from monster drops, that can be very annoying to do some prep work for. Some people just aren't willing to deal with the maintenance costs for that, which is perfectly understandable. And since they have little presence early on (aside from being a walking Force Break), it can feel like your party is just made up of 4 people. Strange Seeds is pretty much all they have, and it is not a reliable disable at all.

Fortunately, Earth's Bounty at max level gives your party slightly more exp than what a 4 man party would be getting. And when the Farmer actually becomes a real party member, you pretty much have a 5 man party that's ahead of the level curve compared to most other parties. When I first heard of Farmer's skills from previews, I thought that they got worked into a class that would be difficult to use, but would reward smart usage of them. And that seems to be what happened in the actual release. You can't just slap them into any party. They aren't a great fit for every party, and some would really rather have a different class in their place. But for the parties they are good for? (Hint: They pair up super well with classes that really really want to be in Force Boost at all times. Like Imperial.) Hoo boy, are they good!

Fruitful Song is an absurd field skill, and pretty much ensures that even Imperials will stay topped off in long treks.

The ironic thing is that while Farmers are good in burst parties due to their Force Break, they're a terrible candidate for MEGA burst parties, because those do not operate under the assumption that their target will even be alive after 3 straight turns of Force Boost. If the battle even lasts that long in the first place.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh hey, the LP started.

Gonna be weird following this while playing it, though probably less weird than LPing this while LPing Untold.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

The Survivalist overview.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I would go as far as to say that Survivalist is worth taking (not just as a main, but as a subclass too) just for Quick Step. Turn order manipulation is really powerful with the right targets, especially a Gunner or an Imperial who can solve a lot of rude enemy formations with a Quick Stepped Drive or Charged Shot/elementals. It can make them go before rare breeds too! The TP cost is admittedly really high on a Survivalist sub, but it's completely worth it.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 4.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

quote:

Oh, did you know that Miss Napier's from a place called Armoroad? It's also called the ocean city!
I've been there.
Something tells me the place is a lot different in your time compared to now.
Oh, yeah, probably.

Just out of curiousity, did Adan travel a lot before Abby joined him? Because that would surprise me a bit. His bio made him sound like he stayed in his hometown.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

Just out of curiousity, did Adan travel a lot before Abby joined him? Because that would surprise me a bit. His bio made him sound like he stayed in his hometown.

Gotta go a lot of places if you're gonna be a multi-talented baker.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kvasir is cool and my friend.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Is it just me, or do Naydm and M-C give off a "Raiden and Bladewolf" vibe from their interactions?

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Hi Smith IV, bye Smith IV.

Kvasir is hilarious but I had to lower the volume because his DA HA HA is a bit too loud and scared my dogs.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I don't understand head binds that come from sound attacks like Harsh Buzz. Is it disorientating you so badly that you can't think straight? You think you wouldn't even be able to move at all if that was the case.

Anyhow, even though EO4 wasn't 'that' long ago, hearing the Lush Woodlands music again actually did send a serious wave of nostalgia through me.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

freshlybaked posted:

I don't understand head binds that come from sound attacks like Harsh Buzz. Is it disorientating you so badly that you can't think straight? You think you wouldn't even be able to move at all if that was the case.

Anyhow, even though EO4 wasn't 'that' long ago, hearing the Lush Woodlands music again actually did send a serious wave of nostalgia through me.

I've been replaying EO5 recently, and a bunch of the music there causes nostalgia in me. At least yours is from later than not even 3 years ago. :v:

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

freshlybaked posted:

Muscle memory, maybe?
Adventurers are hardcore - they can have broken skulls, arms and legs, be near death and in a state of panic but they will still swing their sword around.

totally real quote posted:

Tis but a scratch.

Oliver and Marco seem quite a step down after how incredibly useful Birgitta was on the first map. They insulted Adan, gave conflicting advice on how to deal with FOEs, told us that investigating shiny spots is a good idea and now they left again.
Wait, did they just use the party to clear the floor for them?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Oh hey, I'm not the only one who winds up having their DPS getting ganged up on...oh poor Asriel is gonna have so many more open wounds before things get better.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
I'm in the process of playing this game myself, so it will be interesting to see different strategies against bosses/FOEs than what I use. (I'm using a single balanced exploration party, with other classes for conditionals/gathering/etc.)
You didn't show it off, but there is a dedicated contextual icon for the branches the bears claw their way though. Most likely put in for newer players, and definitely helpful for some of the FOE puzzles in the next few floors.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

InwardChaos posted:

I'm in the process of playing this game myself, so it will be interesting to see different strategies against bosses/FOEs than what I use. (I'm using a single balanced exploration party, with other classes for conditionals/gathering/etc.)
You didn't show it off, but there is a dedicated contextual icon for the branches the bears claw their way though. Most likely put in for newer players, and definitely helpful for some of the FOE puzzles in the next few floors.

I'm so used to EO4, which had nothing like that icon. :v:

I also just don't map them because what use are they when they're gonna get destroyed shortly after you see them? That's my excuse, anyway.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Marco and Oliver are very good.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Leraika posted:

Marco and Oliver are very good.

Yeah, in a game like this with a hojillion classes, having a couple NPCs is pretty much your only hope for providing a known character or point of view.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

The Imperial overview.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I love Imperials and their giant world-ending swords. It's never not satisfying to set up and then get in that solid explosive hit.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
I'm having great fun with Imperial in EON. When you got them in EOIV it was already pretty late game. They could fire off multiple Drives and since so many classes were super strong in EOIV the rest of your party could easily take care of random encounters. So Imperial often felt like they were just waiting for a target worthy of their big damage.

In EON they need to pull their weight in every fight, ideally from the start of the game (unless you are someone that likes to change party members mid-playthrough) which makes them really interesting to use.
Early on you have one or two Drives at most. You want to have Assault Drive but you simply can not use it in random encounters until later in the game - that is unless you like slapping enemies with normal attacks because you are out of TP. And the Starter, Combo and Final skill set-up means just spamming the same skill is not the best use of your turns even while conserving TP or waiting for the Drive Cooldown.
So while some classes fall into the trap of doing almost the same thing over and over for the entire game Imperial is definitely not one of those classes.
However in exchange for that they are horribly, horribly skill point starved as soon as they hit Veteran skills.

I recommend trying out EON Imperial for a somewhat complex and really rewarding class. Even if they only slap enemies around (aside from that one leg bind skill and Heavy Guard) the way they deal their damage is one of the more involved ones in the series.
You do however have to account for the Drive penalty that makes you take double damage. A Protector or a Survivalist can negate it fairly easily and there are probably even more ways to deal with it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Fun fact relating to Imperial. Gradriel in 2U was considered to be one of the possible candidates for a guest party member at certain points. Her class would have been Imperial if that concept made it in.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder if you have to be a Sovereign/Imperial to be royalty in the Etrian Odyssey universe.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

It does help but it's not required.

What's the deal with the Imperial class and EOIV unnamed empire? Are they the elite forces or is the whole army Imperials (plus support troops). Those gunblades drive blades feel a bit too complex for the tech level to mass-produce.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 5.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
I feel so sorry for Furyfawns. They're so cute and it makes me feel bad to kill them. Let the baby deer live.

SimplyUnknown1 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 8, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If they wanted to live they'd learn how to kill adventurers like everything else. :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 8, 2019

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Getting some FF14 Dark Knight vibes here.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
Yep, those soldiers sure are some Tharsis soldiers. As we are clearly in Tharsis.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Small Orchard was straight up copy-pasted.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Grashbar posted:

Yep, those soldiers sure are some Tharsis soldiers. As we are clearly in Tharsis.

10$ says they die horrible deaths.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Poor Furyfawns. If only your drop wasn't used for boots that give better acting speed you might be allowed to survive.
Or not.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Grashbar posted:

I mean, technically it's possible that some soldiers from Tharsis joined the expedition and came to this Maze because they are the local experts on standing right there in this exact Maze, but yeah, it's probably a bad copy-paste job. I can't remember what it said in Japanese though. Someone should check.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

werbear posted:

Poor Furyfawns. If only your drop wasn't used for boots that give better acting speed you might be allowed to survive.
Or not.

They'd still have to die for Compendium completion. Gotta kill 'em all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Gonna be honest, didn't realize Nadym was a lady at first.

Also Wiglaf is cool and good