Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Nadym's profile uses male pronouns, though?

EDIT: What a loving page snipe...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Gonna be honest, didn't realize Nadym was a lady at first.

He's not.

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?
Echoing sentiments about the Furyfawns. I also liked their bow, I remember using it for a good while.

And I'm intrigued by the story threads you’re starting. Just, what’s Abby’s deal? Is she a ghost or what?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Oublietteer posted:

Just, what’s Abby’s deal? Is she a ghost or what?

She's a warrior who died long before Adan was born. Her soul got put into Adan's body, alongside his own, by Mystic Nonsense.

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?

Ragnar Homsar posted:

She's a warrior who died long before Adan was born. Her soul got put into Adan's body, alongside his own, by Mystic Nonsense.
Oh, okay. Neat premise!

Are you going to write profiles for everyone at some point? I’m having a bit of a hard time following all the characters as is.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

All of the characters (and their creators!) are on the table of contents for the LP, found here. I'll definitely be referring back to it on occasion, mad props to Ragnar to be willing to juggle this many characters.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I'm still not over Protagonist as their last names. (Not a complaint by the way.)

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Crosspeice posted:

All of the characters (and their creators!) are on the table of contents for the LP, found here. I'll definitely be referring back to it on occasion, mad props to Ragnar to be willing to juggle this many characters.

Oh. Right. I should...import that to the reserved post. Whoops.

e: I did that now.

Rea fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 9, 2019

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

The Gunner overview.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's something oddly hilarious to me about the fact that the Gunner in EO's MO seems to be just "shoot more".

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I'm assuming the answer is No, but can you get lucky and have a Gunner attack three times in a turn between their passive and Boost?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I think Medic Bullet is pretty underrated; ideally your Gunner won't be doing anything but attacking, but there will be emergency situations from time to time (during boss fights especially) where you want your damage dealers to help the party recover, and Medic Bullet is a fast Theriaca A with a decent heal attached. Worth mentioning too that Gunners have good LUC and they're more likely to resist those ailment AoEs than other classes on average.

It's especially valuable if you're using Sovereign as your main healing support (which is perfectly reasonable) and don't have access to big healing skills and/or multi-target ailment clear like Medic/War Magus/Arcanist. And Gunner isn't an especially SP-hungry class, unless you want to take the Charged Shots and Snipes and Ricochet; 6 points to give them a good healing option isn't a bad use of SP in my opinion.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 10, 2019

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Hey, Gunners weren't good in every EO game! They were awful in EMD2! :v: (Seriously, for some reason that was the class Chunsoft decided to sledgehammer. They have the 3rd worst STR in the game, and if you wanted to use a Gunner, you were better off sub classing it to actually use it.)

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I'm assuming the answer is No, but can you get lucky and have a Gunner attack three times in a turn between their passive and Boost?

The answer is yes: Multi-Shot can either trigger on the first attack (in which case it does full damage) or on the bonus attack from the force boost effect (in which case it does reduced damage, same as the bonus attack itself).

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Thuryl posted:

The answer is yes: Multi-Shot can either trigger on the first attack (in which case it does full damage) or on the bonus attack from the force boost effect (in which case it does reduced damage, same as the bonus attack itself).

I wasn't aware of that, actually! IIRC, in 2U, Multi-Shot (then Double Action) did not activate at all while Double Action (then Action Boost) was active, so I was unsure.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Yes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm slightly surprised that no one mentioned that the Charged Shot skills are exactly the same as the Imperial's Drive skills, with comparable multipliers, less TP cost, and no cooldown. At least before Accel Drive. Guns and gunners are weaker than Drive Blades and imperials, but I personally though it was really weird that they gave these two classes such comparable kits at all. And frankly shooting Charged Shot twice during Force Boost narrows the gap between their damage numbers anyway: Gunners don't need Ignition to spam their moves.

Anyway I had both of these classes in my party at the same time and it felt really weird how identical these moves are.

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014
It's especially silly how Imperial has a force boost and force break dedicated to fixing its major problems (tp issues and limited drive usage) but gunners don't have those problems to begin with, and they have what is probably the best force break in the game instead.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I love my imperial but he's probably dragging my party down the most.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Surprisingly Gunner and Imperial don't feel all that similar to me.

Imperial can learn Assault Drive at level 1. So if you want them to actually use their damage you need something to deal with the 2x damage penalty really early on. You have to build your party around them but their strong early and late game makes it kinda worth it. Their mid-game suffers a bit unless you put points into their early Drives.
They are frontliners that need protection. Nightseeker, Ronin and Shogun are also frontliners that need protection. And while a Highlander that sacrifices their own HP or a Landsknecht using Shell Smash Vanguard don't outright need protection it's at least not wasted on them. Since many defensive tools are line wide the Imperial is basically in the best place to get some protection.
They are also frontliners that deal damage - and a lot, a lot, of classes are frontliners that deal damage. So once again Imperial is in the right place to receive damage buffs since several of those are also line wide.

Gunners however are pretty self-sufficient for a large portion of the game.
Early on they don't need any support - except accuracy but there are not all that many classes that can help them with that.
They get Charged Shot pretty early but they can't exactly use it as is since it costs a lot of TP for 20+. So they use Act Quick for the TP and negate their 2x damage penalty as a side effect.
Only about halfway through the game can they use Charged Shot as is regularely, suddenly turning them into a backliner that needs protection. Which is not all that good; only Zodiac can also make good use of protection since the other backliners are somewhat to pretty sturdy supports. And if you want to give your backline priority on protection you need a defensive frontline which is not that easy in EON.
Similarely the only backliners that deal good, reliable damage are Gunner and Zodiac - so many potential damage characters don't sit on the same line as a Gunner.
In most cases Gunner should compromise in order to not hurt their party; Hero Shield skills instead of Protector Guard skills, debuffs instead of Souvereign buffs; party wide support with lower modifiers instead of line wide support with higher modifiers.

Imperial needs to be build around. But a lot of support you throw at an Imperial will spill towards other characters with similar needs.
Gunner can slot much easier into most parties but if you want to build around Gunner the rest of your party will suffer.
Also it feels to me like the cooldown and TP cost of an Imperial mean you absolutely, positively have to create situations where they can use their damage or otherwise your entire party will suffer. Meanwhile the lower TP cost and lack of Cooldown for a Gunner means they can just make use of any opportunities that may or may not arise (or even create them themself) while they are still alright otherwise.
Imperial lows are lower than Gunner lows but Imperial highs are higher than Gunner highs - or maybe that's just my impression.
But even beyond that Imperial and Gunner promote different kinds of parties.

So while "slow, strong skill that makes you take more damage" describes both Drives and Charged skills I don't think Gunner and Imperial are really all that interchangeable.

That being sad - overall Gunner is probably stronger.
They can even occasionally try to ignore their 2x damage penalty and just go for Charged Shot without Act Quick or any support from another party member by simply relying on their lower aggro as a backliner.
Imperial could also go for a Drive without further support but they will end up dead way more often.
And, well - Gunner can pull their weight even without Charged Shot while an Imperial needs their Drives to not drag the party down.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My Gunner relied on charged shots through most of the midgame and didn't need a huge amount of party support beyond the standard buffs and debuffs; by prioritizing the best possible defensive equipment on her and only upgrading guns when I could get one with an HP or VIT bonus on it, I managed to keep her at a point where she usually wouldn't be one-shotted even with the penalty. I switched to Ricochet as my main damage-dealing skill in the endgame, though, because at that point things just start hitting way too hard.

Another more unconventional thing you can do with a Gunner is to boost their action speed and/or reduce enemy action speed to the point where their charged shots go before the enemy even without Act Quick. This is only feasible some of the time, but it's convenient when you can pull it off.

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014
Actually, the speed debuffs have extremely strange formulas, I'm pretty sure they decrease the enemy speed by a flat amount rather than a multiplier. I used Slowing Miasma throughout the game and on 98% of enemies, it alone allowed my gunners to fire charged shots before the enemy could move. It actually caused my Hero's shield attacks to go first as well despite having 3%(!) speed modifiers (though this was actually a downside as the defence effect would wear off before the attack did).

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Speed manipulation is wierd, alright.
I wanted to use a Laudanum to get rid of a debuff that decreased healing and my Harbinger's Atonement to heal. So of course I let my Landsknecht use the Laudanum since they had Vanguard up.
According to the skill sim Vanguard gives a 20x speed multiplier, Miasma Armor a 2x multiplier (Atonement has 100% speed).
My Harbinger still went first - Vanguard only works if you use skills or attack.

However I am like 80% sure Miasma Armor works with items. I sometimes use a Soma instead of Atonement if I only neeh HP and no cleanse to preserve the Miasma Armor turns. Using it with Miasma Armor is fast but without Miasma Armor it's slow.
But the enemy just might have used skills with different speed modifiers on both occasions so I'm not fully sure Miasma Armor is the culprit.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

The Zodiac overview.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Are you sure about the speed modifiers of the T1 Stars? The skill sim says Ice Star has 100% speed and Volt Star 120% - and my own observations in game seem to confirm that.
If that was correct Volt Star would have some use beyond a pre-requisite since it's fast enough to outspeed at least some things. Not that this changes much about Zodiac but it can be useful in a few situations.

I'm with Angel: Zodiac TP management is really not that bad since the Binary skills are slow but accurate. You can easily weaken an entire encounter with the rest of the party then take out all of them with your Zodiac. Basically everything except an Imperial (or a Charged skill of Gunner) will outspeed your Zodiac's full party attacks so Etheric Return gives them almost infinite TP during exploration.
However in boss fights you need some real hard hitters in your party to finish before your Zodiac is out of TP - trying to sustain them with Amritas is not viable.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I messed up the speed mods: Ice Star is 100%, Volt Star is 120%. I'll fix it tomorrow.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The main problem I had with my Zodiac is that their single-target damage gets pretty anaemic in the midgame if you don't max out Multi-Strike Ether and all of their damage passives as soon as you can afford to. Once you've done that they become reliable damage-dealers for the rest of the game, although they also go from being pretty TP-efficient to major TP hogs.

One thing to note about Meteor is that it has significantly lower accuracy than most of the Zodiac's other attack skills. This doesn't usually matter that much, but it's not super rare for it to miss a hit or two on a boss without any evasion or accuracy buffs/debuffs in play. It's something to keep in mind when you're comparing it to a Binary for average damage output, especially against anything that evades attacks more often than normal.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

When I played the game for the first time, I turned down Birgitta offering me a map just to be a wiseguy. Fortunately, after a set amount of steps, she forces you to take it!

Also

quote:

U-Um... Is it just me, or do you smell something awful?

How did you let this comment pass by? :v:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 6.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
:allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

In today's update:

That was certainly a good showing for Dracula. Even if I find it funny the character using the Dracula portrait isn't the actual party's Dracula.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 15, 2019

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Vampire is wierd. But you did a good job on totally intentionally showing off how strong they can be.
I don't think you mentioned it but unlocking Vampire also unlocks their two portraits. (Syrel is using one of them, for anyone wondering where her portrait comes from.)

quote:

Everyone keeps asking me why I run backline protector but c'mon, you can get away with this and still have an effective party comp.

EON is probably the best game for a backline Protector. Ronin, Shogun, Nightseeker and Imperial using Drive skills all really like a good Front Guard. In other EO games you often don't have enough strong squishies to put in the frontline to justify a backline tank but with EON's slew of melee classes Protector works just fine back there.
With three soft frontliners and a pure tank you'd probably want a healer - and those are all around pretty sturdy in EON. So even if the Protector's HP (and maybe Taunt) attract some splash or line attacks to the backline it's usually not all that dangerous.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
As a note, Vampire's stat bonus does take into account other equipment bonuses when boosting stats.

A character with 49 base STR gains 4 STR with the Scarlet Evil Eye normally, for a total of 53 STR. Equipping them with, say, a shield that raises STR by 5 boosts their STR to 59 - their STR for the purposes of the Scarlet Evil Eye is now 54, so they get an extra point.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wait, so you got the evil powers of darkness...without the person obsessed with darkness in your party? Let him enjoy this too!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Imagine if the Hero/Vampire Force Breaks triggered Afterimages. :allears:

Probably would be less useful on the latter.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

The Medic overview.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Medic has a head bind and if I'm not mistaken the first staff with a ranged INT attack needs a conditional drop that calls for head bind. So even if you have no other binder you can still give your Medic a way to deal a bit ranged damage - although it's honestly only slightly more damage than smacking something with your staff, even from the backline.

Delayed Heal posted:

If the user dies, becomes afflicted with panic, sleep, or has their head bound before Delayed Heal goes off, Delayed Heal will fail.

This is entirely correct. If your Medic gets petrified Delayed Heal will actually still go off. A bit strange but I'm not complaining.

Overall I really like EON's Medic. Overheal alone makes them so good at their job but adding in decent debuffs gives them some utility. Even in random encounters they are finally contributing something (as long as your damage classes don't outspeed Star Drop).

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Did the Furyhorn's adds stay alive after the Furyhorn itself was alive? Because if the battle was still going after the main FOE died, I think that clutch battle would've been a loss.

basically, fuckin' sheesh rea! :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Adds that only exist as a summon will not continue the battle after the enemy that summons them dies, to my recollection.

Now, if it was something like Furyhorn summoning four Furyfawns, the fight would have likely continued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

I feel like Group Therapy is a good option on a subclass if you're taking it primarily for refresh/unbind/revive utility rather than HP healing, since for someone subclassed into Medic it's the only way you're getting row-target Refresh/Unbind at all. I still didn't really end up using it much, though.