Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

The Ronin overview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I miss Peerless Combo.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Mosou gives you the effects of the level 1 Stances? So it doesn't get better by learning your off-Stances?
That's too bad - and reduces a single Stance Ronin's need for skill points even further.

Wait - if Mosou stacks with your active Stance does this mean a max Clear Stance, max Full Proficiency Mosou gives you a 1.95x infliction multiplier for skills with 50% base chances?
Insane.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I miss Peerless Combo.

I hated it in EO2U since it needs five other skills (the three combo pieces, Upper Stance, Peerless Stance) only to be decent. With some proper numbers it could have been something worth building for - but it just wasn't.
Very underwhelming especially after how much Ronin already struggled throughout the rest of the game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I always thought it was stupid how the Master skills both end the stance immediately AND disable your skills, effectively stunning you for two turns as you have twiddle your thumbs and then use a stance-entering move before you can start doing stuff again. I guess you can get around it with the force break (or ending a random battle) but it still feels to me like it's amost always not worth it to use those moves. I mean petrify is good, but it's mostly good for the rest of your team, not the Ronin.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

The Pugilist overview.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
It's me. I'm the guy who unironically (...planned to. still probably will.) maxed out Resonance Blow because it seemed cool.

...Definitely regretting putting so much into One-Two Punch after how many nerfs it ate, though. Eesh.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
I'm mostly wondering if Double Punch works with One-Two since that calls the actual bind skills. Might make it less of a SP sink with that damage drop.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Argent Cinereus posted:

I'm mostly wondering if Double Punch works with One-Two since that calls the actual bind skills. Might make it less of a SP sink with that damage drop.

It doesn't.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
Well, that's a problem. Guess level 4's good enough for the time being.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

The common passives overview.

Yeah, I know, it's boring. It's necessary, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Are HP and TP Up supposed to be on there twice?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Are HP and TP Up supposed to be on there twice?

Yes. The player skills HP Up and TP Up are distinct from the equipment skills HP Up and TP Up.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

The Arcanist overview.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
I feel like I'm missing something - why do the weapon passives go to level 7, 8 or 9 when you can only forge weapons to +5?
One arrow allows you to forge to 5, two arrows to 7, three to 8 and four to 9 - is that how it works?

It's baffling how much higher Arcanist's damage multipliers are compared to Zodiac. Sure Zodiac has higher INT and multiple passives to increase their damage (although Circle Mastery is pretty strong itself) as well as the possibility to not use a charge skill so they can deal damage every turn - but Zodiac is also a pure damage class with their only utility being Etheric Gleam, the Prophecies and Anti-Ether (and Dark Ether, maybe) while Arcanist is healer/inflictor that just gets damage on the side.
I haven't used Arcanist yet (aside from the first two maps after which my party containing them just didn't work) but it seems the developers highly value the ability to hit weaknesses. Under Circle Paradise two Dismiss Blows seem to even give Multi Strike Meteor a run for its money since Meteors are so RNG heavy.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

werbear posted:

I feel like I'm missing something - why do the weapon passives go to level 7, 8 or 9 when you can only forge weapons to +5?
One arrow allows you to forge to 5, two arrows to 7, three to 8 and four to 9 - is that how it works?

Any given weapon has a different level that its skill starts at. The maximum is that starting point plus 4 (because you need to use one forge on activating the skill).

The arrows aren't consistent from skill to skill, unlike EO5.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 7.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Are luck stat boosts worth stacking on the Arcanist? Are stat boosts from items worth stacking at all?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Definitely, if anything you should LUC stack your Arcanist as much as possible, even arguably forgoing staves with better MATK for staves with LUC bonuses. Disablers need all the help they can get.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Ragnar Homsar posted:

The arrows aren't consistent from skill to skill, unlike EO5.

What a strange change. I guess arrows are never alllowed to be too consistent.

quote:

The first real labyrinth and there are already multiple injured soldiers without Threads to make it back.
Did Maginia spend all their funds on explorers that brought no money?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I dunno why, but I always get attached to the band of misfits in pretty much every Etrian Odyssey LP. This is definitely no exception. I wonder why Ashley went on this adventure.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

werbear posted:

The first real labyrinth and there are already multiple injured soldiers without Threads to make it back.
Did Maginia spend all their funds on explorers that brought no money?

Guards are always pathetic in Etrian Odyssey.

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Guards are always pathetic in Etrian Odyssey.

Just replace all the guards with explorers, then :v:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That's in fact what all the cities do in every game.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

The Sovereign overview.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't really see how you say Sovereigns are SP starved while also recommending spending 20 SP in the elemental bombs that are only situationally useful in the unlikely event that the Sovereign has a spare turn (and also that you didn't want that buff anyway). Those seemed like an obvious skip to me.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Even Elemental Bomb I is laughing about the Binary skills. If I understood it correctly it even gets buffed if it removes an Arms skill so the Zodiac's anemic passives don't really make up the power difference. Sure, you have to first buff targets to get some ammunition and can't just ignore the condition with your Force Boost like Arcanist can - but Souvereign is yet another full supporter that shows just how underpowered the Zodiac's T2 spells are.
Elemental Bomb II however is looking pretty bad. It's certainly no Mana Oracle.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I'd like to note that Proof of Nobility works on Highlander's Blood Fortune as well for that extra insurance to land your disables, which is neat.

If you don't want to use Final Decree because you don't want to remove your defensive buffs, I can see Element Bombs working as a way to keep Sovs busy in a party that wants to make use of Arms anyway. That said, Elemental Bomb II looks like it's meant to work with Links and not much else. The numbers aren't that much better compared to Elemental Bomb I and it only works well against a single target, so I don't know if it's really worth the SP.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

You should give a thread to the injured soldier because it's the kindest thing to do, naturally.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 8.

Voting for the boss is currently ongoing in the LP server!

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Won't lie, that bear ambushing you all of a sudden is completely unexpected for Etrian Odyssey. I thiiink they might've done that like once or twice before, so any time they drop a boss on you like that it's great.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think my exact reaction to that event was "Alright, now where is this Bloodbe- ohshitwhatthefuck"

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

What happens if you kill the cutter before it destroys the branches along the critical path? Are you poo poo out of luck and have to wait around a couple weeks until it respawns?

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
As much as I hated being jump-scared at the time, I do actually enjoy this idea from a story standpoint. Blood Bears are smart enough to ambush yet stupid enough to do it while injured. It's interesting for a monster to have that sort of intelligence in EO when it wasn't originally some form of human beforehand.

On another note, I feel sorry for Amatsu. No one likes being overshadowed by a cowboy highwayman. Windfish is clearly the superior name.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mr Snips posted:

What happens if you kill the cutter before it destroys the branches along the critical path? Are you poo poo out of luck and have to wait around a couple weeks until it respawns?

It respawns daily, just like in 4.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Last update Oliver and Marco got mauled by (as it turns out) a boss.
This update Oliver and Marco got mauled by a boss... again.
Eh, nothing a few drops of Nectar can't fix.

The tree climbing event seems to have a strange middle case. I accidently selected someone with mediocre AGI and the event talked about how they are unsteady in their climb and only make it down with three fruit - but the entire party still got their TP restored. So that middle tier may only exist in text but not in outcomes.

Butterfly Barrel can give a Gunner head binds before level 20 - if you want to use them for binds early on instead of Rapid Firing all day.

On B3F you can check the destroyed wood barriers to unlock a quest many people miss when they try to get 100% quest completion.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
The berserker ambush was beautiful. You can see that gather point a short way from the stairs and think you can get it before returning to town to grab the new bar quests. Guess who learned to immediately go save at the inn each floor.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The ambush was glorious, and so was the heart attack that occurs afterwards. :allears:

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Fat Cat best cat. All I have to say.

Well that, and he's definitely shaped like a friend.

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?
My favorite part of this update is that the Cutter the game zoomed in on was a rare breed. Exact same thing happened to me, what are the odds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Moss can totally be a friend. :colbert: