Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I'm assuming the answer is No, but can you get lucky and have a Gunner attack three times in a turn between their passive and Boost?

The answer is yes: Multi-Shot can either trigger on the first attack (in which case it does full damage) or on the bonus attack from the force boost effect (in which case it does reduced damage, same as the bonus attack itself).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My Gunner relied on charged shots through most of the midgame and didn't need a huge amount of party support beyond the standard buffs and debuffs; by prioritizing the best possible defensive equipment on her and only upgrading guns when I could get one with an HP or VIT bonus on it, I managed to keep her at a point where she usually wouldn't be one-shotted even with the penalty. I switched to Ricochet as my main damage-dealing skill in the endgame, though, because at that point things just start hitting way too hard.

Another more unconventional thing you can do with a Gunner is to boost their action speed and/or reduce enemy action speed to the point where their charged shots go before the enemy even without Act Quick. This is only feasible some of the time, but it's convenient when you can pull it off.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The main problem I had with my Zodiac is that their single-target damage gets pretty anaemic in the midgame if you don't max out Multi-Strike Ether and all of their damage passives as soon as you can afford to. Once you've done that they become reliable damage-dealers for the rest of the game, although they also go from being pretty TP-efficient to major TP hogs.

One thing to note about Meteor is that it has significantly lower accuracy than most of the Zodiac's other attack skills. This doesn't usually matter that much, but it's not super rare for it to miss a hit or two on a boss without any evasion or accuracy buffs/debuffs in play. It's something to keep in mind when you're comparing it to a Binary for average damage output, especially against anything that evades attacks more often than normal.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

I feel like Group Therapy is a good option on a subclass if you're taking it primarily for refresh/unbind/revive utility rather than HP healing, since for someone subclassed into Medic it's the only way you're getting row-target Refresh/Unbind at all. I still didn't really end up using it much, though.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

werbear posted:

I have yet to use a main class Highlander in EON - but I really appreciate them as a subclass.
HP Up, Phys DEF UP and Phys ATK Up are some generic passives most EON classes can use.
Bloody Veil is pretty cool as it can prevent some two-shots out of nowhere.
Blood Fortune, Battle Instict and Black Sabbath can be useful for a variety of parties and are worth using even at half level.
And if you are lacking buffs half-level Bloody Offence is not too bad with its 30% damage increase.

Unless I just overlooked it EON doesn't seem to have a Bushi or a Gladiator class you can just slap on everyone for a big (reliable) damage boost - so if you don't have any specific plans for your subclass the varied usefulness of Highlander makes them a good default subclass.
Even if you don't want to use any active Highlander skills or can't use their skills because your character is too busy with their main class the generic passives and Bloody Veil are alright to give a character just a few more percentages late-game.

Yeah, I gave my Gunner a Highlander sub because it's a squishy physical attacking class that tends to have a bunch of spare SP to throw into passives. You could give it to pretty much any other physical character or even a Meteor-focused Zodiac under similar logic.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Ninja makes a great subclass for an ailment-focused character looking for extra coverage: some of their ailment skills have better infliction rates at half max level than some other classes' ailment skills have at max (lookin' at you here, Harbinger).

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

werbear posted:

Was there ever a purely magical STR-based skill before Revenge Bomb? Because it seems wrong...
Physical TEC/INT-based skills - okay. A bit strange... but if you can summon lightning with your mind summoning blades or meteors is not that far off.
But how do you use your muscles to create pure fire but no physical impact?

Highlander's Black Sabbath is STR-based and almighty, if that counts.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

EON's version of the Harbinger is a weird class that's a lot better than it seems but also doesn't fill the role you'd expect it to. There's a reason their best stat is WIS, rather than STR or even LUC: they're fundamentally a support class, and if you want someone who primarily inflicts damage and/or ailments there are better options. On the other hand, they're surprisingly effective healers and have the most reliable anti-disable support skills in the game, which is a big deal when you need it. Seriously, there are fights where Miasma Wall and Spirit Barrier can justify bringing a Harbinger all by themselves.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that Miasma Wall and Spirit Barrier can only ever protect up to 5 characters. This can be an issue if you have a Hero or Ninja filling a sixth party slot, because whoever's in the lower right slot will go unprotected if an attack targets the whole party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Having a high INT can be useful for weapons that have INT-based skills on them, at least, although I don't remember any that were spectacularly impressive.