Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It's pretty interesting how they handled Farmer in this game. They had some potential in EO3, but the biggest problem back then was that even if you tried to unironically use a Farmer in that game, they wouldn't do much in big fights. They certainly made up for it big time since Item Echo and Final Secret really fix that problem. Final Secret is pretty much the best Force Break in the game, and is the biggest selling point of a main party Farmer. If you slapped that Force Break onto another class, it would be flat out broken.

That said, it's not all sunshine and rainbows. Their earlygame is really not that great. Item Echo is strong, but due to how the questionable the consumable item distribution in this game is, there's not much to actually use it on until a good ways into the game. And to make continuous use of said items, you have to farm up the materials constantly. Not too bad if the items are made from gathering point resources, but if they're made from monster drops, that can be very annoying to do some prep work for. Some people just aren't willing to deal with the maintenance costs for that, which is perfectly understandable. And since they have little presence early on (aside from being a walking Force Break), it can feel like your party is just made up of 4 people. Strange Seeds is pretty much all they have, and it is not a reliable disable at all.

Fortunately, Earth's Bounty at max level gives your party slightly more exp than what a 4 man party would be getting. And when the Farmer actually becomes a real party member, you pretty much have a 5 man party that's ahead of the level curve compared to most other parties. When I first heard of Farmer's skills from previews, I thought that they got worked into a class that would be difficult to use, but would reward smart usage of them. And that seems to be what happened in the actual release. You can't just slap them into any party. They aren't a great fit for every party, and some would really rather have a different class in their place. But for the parties they are good for? (Hint: They pair up super well with classes that really really want to be in Force Boost at all times. Like Imperial.) Hoo boy, are they good!

Fruitful Song is an absurd field skill, and pretty much ensures that even Imperials will stay topped off in long treks.

The ironic thing is that while Farmers are good in burst parties due to their Force Break, they're a terrible candidate for MEGA burst parties, because those do not operate under the assumption that their target will even be alive after 3 straight turns of Force Boost. If the battle even lasts that long in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Fun fact relating to Imperial. Gradriel in 2U was considered to be one of the possible candidates for a guest party member at certain points. Her class would have been Imperial if that concept made it in.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hey, Gunners weren't good in every EO game! They were awful in EMD2! :v: (Seriously, for some reason that was the class Chunsoft decided to sledgehammer. They have the 3rd worst STR in the game, and if you wanted to use a Gunner, you were better off sub classing it to actually use it.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The ambush was glorious, and so was the heart attack that occurs afterwards. :allears:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

My one issue with this, is they did one of the best surprises so early in the game. The other areas all have their own fun gimmicks and twists on previous games and versions, but I feel the ambush early on and then the dual boss routine should have come later because its just so good.

Most likely because of the possible screwing yourself over issue with saves. While the game does warn you, it would suck to have to restart the entire game. And it'll sting less to redo a smaller part of the game than a very large chunk of it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

quote:

For those of you who still remembers Alice's rampage in the EO3 LP

You make it sound like she tore the labyrinth apart with her bare hands. :v:

Though yeah, starting from EOU, infliction stats are basically proportional instead of a set amount getting you to double the infliction rate like in EO3 and 4. If you have twice as much LUC as your target, your chances of landing that disable are basically twice as likely. Which isn't happening in any of the games from EOU onwards. Best you'll basically hit is about a 40% to 50% boost on dedicated infliction classes nowadays.

Oublietteer posted:

I was thinking of investing in Beheading, precisely because of Alice. Glad to know it’s not worth it for several reasons.

You know, why DO these games hide numbers like that from players, just making everything indicated by arrows? Do they enjoy tricking players who don’t know that it’s a good idea to look up the skill data?

Never forget the Beast's Roar skill in EO2, where the indication on its chance to inflict Fear was just Up Arrow/Up Arrow/Up Arrow/Up Arrow/Two Up Arrows. The scaling is actually 1%/2%/3%/4%/75%, I poo poo you not.

It's a pretty annoying part of the series, though the exact numbers aren't quite as important to know nowadays for the most part. My guess is trying to make players not worry too much about optimizing, and not wanting to to cause information overflow with too many numbers. Though for the latter, some sort of power rating would be nice instead of just telling us basically nothing.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 6, 2019

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

gently caress everything about the Giant's Ruins. I don't think I've hated a non-postgame stratum as much as this place before.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Omobono posted:

Spoilers

We didn't reach that point yet. :ssh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Angel said the Jungle Killer doesn't resist anything and is weak to ailments, but the table says that it actually resists every ailment, all of them are below 100%. Is that an error or am I reading something wrong?

Starting from EOU, they standardized big enemy resistances to disables to 50%. (It was all over the place in the previous games.) Can get a bit confusing since it still uses the regular circle icon for 100% damage multipliers, and the games themselves don't give any indication at all that all big enemies are supposed to be more naturally resistant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Who even wanted EO3 Golem back? That was probably the most hated incarnation of that boss.