Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
That's a big and colorful cast of characters - but with 19 classes that was to be expected.
It will be hard to remember what class some of them are but that's what the character write-up is for.

During the fish event my gunner just shot the fish. I was wondering what would happen if you had no ranged physical class and the LP already answered that for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
You can tell Birgitta is a nice person because she paints under doors.

Funnily enough my Gunner died in the same area Cason did and has been behind on XP ever since.
EO fights are often faster than those in many other RPGs but it feels at least in the beginning Nexus pushed it even further. Either the enemy dies by turn two - or you do.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Will this LP aim to catch all of the talk dialogue of the town NPCs? Because that seems like a huge hassle this time around.
Not only do the townsfolk no longer update all at the same time, they also don't do it once per floor anymore. I had Mueller not change his dialogue for a whole labyrinth only for it to change before the bossfight, after the bossfight and once again after handing in the mission that send me to kill the boss...

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

freshlybaked posted:

I don't understand head binds that come from sound attacks like Harsh Buzz. Is it disorientating you so badly that you can't think straight? You think you wouldn't even be able to move at all if that was the case.

Muscle memory, maybe?
Adventurers are hardcore - they can have broken skulls, arms and legs, be near death and in a state of panic but they will still swing their sword around.

totally real quote posted:

Tis but a scratch.

Oliver and Marco seem quite a step down after how incredibly useful Birgitta was on the first map. They insulted Adan, gave conflicting advice on how to deal with FOEs, told us that investigating shiny spots is a good idea and now they left again.
Wait, did they just use the party to clear the floor for them?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
I'm having great fun with Imperial in EON. When you got them in EOIV it was already pretty late game. They could fire off multiple Drives and since so many classes were super strong in EOIV the rest of your party could easily take care of random encounters. So Imperial often felt like they were just waiting for a target worthy of their big damage.

In EON they need to pull their weight in every fight, ideally from the start of the game (unless you are someone that likes to change party members mid-playthrough) which makes them really interesting to use.
Early on you have one or two Drives at most. You want to have Assault Drive but you simply can not use it in random encounters until later in the game - that is unless you like slapping enemies with normal attacks because you are out of TP. And the Starter, Combo and Final skill set-up means just spamming the same skill is not the best use of your turns even while conserving TP or waiting for the Drive Cooldown.
So while some classes fall into the trap of doing almost the same thing over and over for the entire game Imperial is definitely not one of those classes.
However in exchange for that they are horribly, horribly skill point starved as soon as they hit Veteran skills.

I recommend trying out EON Imperial for a somewhat complex and really rewarding class. Even if they only slap enemies around (aside from that one leg bind skill and Heavy Guard) the way they deal their damage is one of the more involved ones in the series.
You do however have to account for the Drive penalty that makes you take double damage. A Protector or a Survivalist can negate it fairly easily and there are probably even more ways to deal with it.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Poor Furyfawns. If only your drop wasn't used for boots that give better acting speed you might be allowed to survive.
Or not.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Surprisingly Gunner and Imperial don't feel all that similar to me.

Imperial can learn Assault Drive at level 1. So if you want them to actually use their damage you need something to deal with the 2x damage penalty really early on. You have to build your party around them but their strong early and late game makes it kinda worth it. Their mid-game suffers a bit unless you put points into their early Drives.
They are frontliners that need protection. Nightseeker, Ronin and Shogun are also frontliners that need protection. And while a Highlander that sacrifices their own HP or a Landsknecht using Shell Smash Vanguard don't outright need protection it's at least not wasted on them. Since many defensive tools are line wide the Imperial is basically in the best place to get some protection.
They are also frontliners that deal damage - and a lot, a lot, of classes are frontliners that deal damage. So once again Imperial is in the right place to receive damage buffs since several of those are also line wide.

Gunners however are pretty self-sufficient for a large portion of the game.
Early on they don't need any support - except accuracy but there are not all that many classes that can help them with that.
They get Charged Shot pretty early but they can't exactly use it as is since it costs a lot of TP for 20+. So they use Act Quick for the TP and negate their 2x damage penalty as a side effect.
Only about halfway through the game can they use Charged Shot as is regularely, suddenly turning them into a backliner that needs protection. Which is not all that good; only Zodiac can also make good use of protection since the other backliners are somewhat to pretty sturdy supports. And if you want to give your backline priority on protection you need a defensive frontline which is not that easy in EON.
Similarely the only backliners that deal good, reliable damage are Gunner and Zodiac - so many potential damage characters don't sit on the same line as a Gunner.
In most cases Gunner should compromise in order to not hurt their party; Hero Shield skills instead of Protector Guard skills, debuffs instead of Souvereign buffs; party wide support with lower modifiers instead of line wide support with higher modifiers.

Imperial needs to be build around. But a lot of support you throw at an Imperial will spill towards other characters with similar needs.
Gunner can slot much easier into most parties but if you want to build around Gunner the rest of your party will suffer.
Also it feels to me like the cooldown and TP cost of an Imperial mean you absolutely, positively have to create situations where they can use their damage or otherwise your entire party will suffer. Meanwhile the lower TP cost and lack of Cooldown for a Gunner means they can just make use of any opportunities that may or may not arise (or even create them themself) while they are still alright otherwise.
Imperial lows are lower than Gunner lows but Imperial highs are higher than Gunner highs - or maybe that's just my impression.
But even beyond that Imperial and Gunner promote different kinds of parties.

So while "slow, strong skill that makes you take more damage" describes both Drives and Charged skills I don't think Gunner and Imperial are really all that interchangeable.

That being sad - overall Gunner is probably stronger.
They can even occasionally try to ignore their 2x damage penalty and just go for Charged Shot without Act Quick or any support from another party member by simply relying on their lower aggro as a backliner.
Imperial could also go for a Drive without further support but they will end up dead way more often.
And, well - Gunner can pull their weight even without Charged Shot while an Imperial needs their Drives to not drag the party down.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Speed manipulation is wierd, alright.
I wanted to use a Laudanum to get rid of a debuff that decreased healing and my Harbinger's Atonement to heal. So of course I let my Landsknecht use the Laudanum since they had Vanguard up.
According to the skill sim Vanguard gives a 20x speed multiplier, Miasma Armor a 2x multiplier (Atonement has 100% speed).
My Harbinger still went first - Vanguard only works if you use skills or attack.

However I am like 80% sure Miasma Armor works with items. I sometimes use a Soma instead of Atonement if I only neeh HP and no cleanse to preserve the Miasma Armor turns. Using it with Miasma Armor is fast but without Miasma Armor it's slow.
But the enemy just might have used skills with different speed modifiers on both occasions so I'm not fully sure Miasma Armor is the culprit.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Are you sure about the speed modifiers of the T1 Stars? The skill sim says Ice Star has 100% speed and Volt Star 120% - and my own observations in game seem to confirm that.
If that was correct Volt Star would have some use beyond a pre-requisite since it's fast enough to outspeed at least some things. Not that this changes much about Zodiac but it can be useful in a few situations.

I'm with Angel: Zodiac TP management is really not that bad since the Binary skills are slow but accurate. You can easily weaken an entire encounter with the rest of the party then take out all of them with your Zodiac. Basically everything except an Imperial (or a Charged skill of Gunner) will outspeed your Zodiac's full party attacks so Etheric Return gives them almost infinite TP during exploration.
However in boss fights you need some real hard hitters in your party to finish before your Zodiac is out of TP - trying to sustain them with Amritas is not viable.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Vampire is wierd. But you did a good job on totally intentionally showing off how strong they can be.
I don't think you mentioned it but unlocking Vampire also unlocks their two portraits. (Syrel is using one of them, for anyone wondering where her portrait comes from.)

quote:

Everyone keeps asking me why I run backline protector but c'mon, you can get away with this and still have an effective party comp.

EON is probably the best game for a backline Protector. Ronin, Shogun, Nightseeker and Imperial using Drive skills all really like a good Front Guard. In other EO games you often don't have enough strong squishies to put in the frontline to justify a backline tank but with EON's slew of melee classes Protector works just fine back there.
With three soft frontliners and a pure tank you'd probably want a healer - and those are all around pretty sturdy in EON. So even if the Protector's HP (and maybe Taunt) attract some splash or line attacks to the backline it's usually not all that dangerous.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Medic has a head bind and if I'm not mistaken the first staff with a ranged INT attack needs a conditional drop that calls for head bind. So even if you have no other binder you can still give your Medic a way to deal a bit ranged damage - although it's honestly only slightly more damage than smacking something with your staff, even from the backline.

Delayed Heal posted:

If the user dies, becomes afflicted with panic, sleep, or has their head bound before Delayed Heal goes off, Delayed Heal will fail.

This is entirely correct. If your Medic gets petrified Delayed Heal will actually still go off. A bit strange but I'm not complaining.

Overall I really like EON's Medic. Overheal alone makes them so good at their job but adding in decent debuffs gives them some utility. Even in random encounters they are finally contributing something (as long as your damage classes don't outspeed Star Drop).

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Mosou gives you the effects of the level 1 Stances? So it doesn't get better by learning your off-Stances?
That's too bad - and reduces a single Stance Ronin's need for skill points even further.

Wait - if Mosou stacks with your active Stance does this mean a max Clear Stance, max Full Proficiency Mosou gives you a 1.95x infliction multiplier for skills with 50% base chances?
Insane.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I miss Peerless Combo.

I hated it in EO2U since it needs five other skills (the three combo pieces, Upper Stance, Peerless Stance) only to be decent. With some proper numbers it could have been something worth building for - but it just wasn't.
Very underwhelming especially after how much Ronin already struggled throughout the rest of the game.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
I feel like I'm missing something - why do the weapon passives go to level 7, 8 or 9 when you can only forge weapons to +5?
One arrow allows you to forge to 5, two arrows to 7, three to 8 and four to 9 - is that how it works?

It's baffling how much higher Arcanist's damage multipliers are compared to Zodiac. Sure Zodiac has higher INT and multiple passives to increase their damage (although Circle Mastery is pretty strong itself) as well as the possibility to not use a charge skill so they can deal damage every turn - but Zodiac is also a pure damage class with their only utility being Etheric Gleam, the Prophecies and Anti-Ether (and Dark Ether, maybe) while Arcanist is healer/inflictor that just gets damage on the side.
I haven't used Arcanist yet (aside from the first two maps after which my party containing them just didn't work) but it seems the developers highly value the ability to hit weaknesses. Under Circle Paradise two Dismiss Blows seem to even give Multi Strike Meteor a run for its money since Meteors are so RNG heavy.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Ragnar Homsar posted:

The arrows aren't consistent from skill to skill, unlike EO5.

What a strange change. I guess arrows are never alllowed to be too consistent.

quote:

The first real labyrinth and there are already multiple injured soldiers without Threads to make it back.
Did Maginia spend all their funds on explorers that brought no money?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Even Elemental Bomb I is laughing about the Binary skills. If I understood it correctly it even gets buffed if it removes an Arms skill so the Zodiac's anemic passives don't really make up the power difference. Sure, you have to first buff targets to get some ammunition and can't just ignore the condition with your Force Boost like Arcanist can - but Souvereign is yet another full supporter that shows just how underpowered the Zodiac's T2 spells are.
Elemental Bomb II however is looking pretty bad. It's certainly no Mana Oracle.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Last update Oliver and Marco got mauled by (as it turns out) a boss.
This update Oliver and Marco got mauled by a boss... again.
Eh, nothing a few drops of Nectar can't fix.

The tree climbing event seems to have a strange middle case. I accidently selected someone with mediocre AGI and the event talked about how they are unsteady in their climb and only make it down with three fruit - but the entire party still got their TP restored. So that middle tier may only exist in text but not in outcomes.

Butterfly Barrel can give a Gunner head binds before level 20 - if you want to use them for binds early on instead of Rapid Firing all day.

On B3F you can check the destroyed wood barriers to unlock a quest many people miss when they try to get 100% quest completion.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
I have yet to use a main class Highlander in EON - but I really appreciate them as a subclass.
HP Up, Phys DEF UP and Phys ATK Up are some generic passives most EON classes can use.
Bloody Veil is pretty cool as it can prevent some two-shots out of nowhere.
Blood Fortune, Battle Instict and Black Sabbath can be useful for a variety of parties and are worth using even at half level.
And if you are lacking buffs half-level Bloody Offence is not too bad with its 30% damage increase.

Unless I just overlooked it EON doesn't seem to have a Bushi or a Gladiator class you can just slap on everyone for a big (reliable) damage boost - so if you don't have any specific plans for your subclass the varied usefulness of Highlander makes them a good default subclass.
Even if you don't want to use any active Highlander skills or can't use their skills because your character is too busy with their main class the generic passives and Bloody Veil are alright to give a character just a few more percentages late-game.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Three boss fights on one floor! And two of them are against the same boss! (even if Berserker King was hurt before the first fight)
After nearly completely copy-pasting B1F they made Lush Woodlands still pretty memorable.
Cernunnos is originally from Primitive Jungle which is the next labyrinth - I wonder why it left its old home to wander off into another forest.

Space-time in these LPs sure is getting unstable. At first there was game over space. Then people from different LPs could interact through game over space. Quixote in the EOU LP also did... something to allow the classic party to fight story bosses. And now adventurers get teleported through time and space and need to fight for their life.
The (actually EO-canon) wierdness of Lemuria doesn't help since the land holds labyrinths from different parts of the world (we have seen places from near Tharsis and Etria thus far)...

quote:

Oh hello there.

But seems like all that is just another tuesday for Cason.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Later bosses are also usually more complex than early bosses. While it's easy to build a super strong party in Nexus some people might just pick their favorites and run those - resulting in a very badly optimized party that might need to prepare for each and every boss via equipment and tons of consumables.
So with more involved bosses a double fight might simply become impossible since you can't go back to town in between even if you don't overwrite your old file, completely stonewalling your progress. The DS EOs or even the Untolds would not have a problem with that (EO2U Scylla comes to mind) but EON is pretty casual.

And if you try to lessen the difficulty of the double fight by putting two simple bosses later in the game it loses a lot of its impact. Both Berserker King and Cernunnos have mechanics you would expect around this time of the game so you have two full boss fights back to back. Which is what makes it really surpising; at no point during or shortly after the fight did I ever think something was up...

An ambush by a boss could have happened later in the game, though.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
EO characters playing DnD when they are not killing monsters in the dungeon is like somone from our world playing a working simulator after work. Only multiplayer.
I'm not sure if that makes them nerdier or less nerdy than non-EO characters playing DnD.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Was there ever a purely magical STR-based skill before Revenge Bomb? Because it seems wrong...
Physical TEC/INT-based skills - okay. A bit strange... but if you can summon lightning with your mind summoning blades or meteors is not that far off.
But how do you use your muscles to create pure fire but no physical impact?

Ninja looks a bit disappointing. The tiny chance for Beheading makes the passive worthless (like all normal attack passives in EON) and the multiplier of Return Malice isn't even that high compared to infliction improvement buffs/debuffs. And those usually help the entire party instead of only one person.
It's understandable after how much the series has struggled to keep buffs under control and how broken EO2U Hexer was but seeing so much "No fun allowed!" bundled into support skills is still a bit sad.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
EOV Harbinger was really awkward to use with a terrible early game. Especially Deathguard was underwhelming; for two stratums they are basically a dispenser for Wilting Miasma and they don't get too much better with their awkward healing that makes them a very unstable support core.

EON Harbinger is amazing. Their biggest problem is that they are one of the few classes that wants a lot of the skills available to them.
Their debuffs hold for quite some time so you need other skills to fill those turns with something worthwhile. Atonement and Miasma Wall are situational but when the situation arises they are amazing. They have some of the greatest defensive passives in the game.
Their reaps eventually fall off a cliff in terms of damage - but early game a single skill point for 180% line wide damage is amazing especially since the STR differences between classes and ATK differences between weapon types aren't that big yet. Later on reaps are mostly just ailment skills. If you have no other ailment inflictor you want a variety of those, putting even more strain on your skill points.

I really love this class, forgoing middling damage for great support was the right decision when it came to re-invent the class in a game without specialisations.
Free Auto-Miasma and Endless Shroud going up to 100% make this class so much easier to use even before Enduring Armor.

Thuryl posted:

Highlander's Black Sabbath is STR-based and almighty, if that counts.

Almighty is strange on its own already - but I think it counts. Only an adventurer would know how to hit something without cutting, stabbing or bashing something.
But while Highlander at least has high STR Ninja has more INT than STR and knifes have more MATK than ATK. If only they could use that for anything...

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Oh hey - it's the part of the game I usually tackle with 10+ more levels on my party.
One good thing about EON's and EOIV's structure is that gimmicks which run their course pretty quickly can be contained to a single floor without feeling at odds with the rest of a stratum (because they don't really belong to a stratum).
Unfortunately it seems the developers took that as an invitation to put in gimmicks that should not be in the game in the first place. High encounter rate with high HP enemies is just annoying.

When anime-style characters watch anime is it live action for them? Or is it double anime?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
In EO1 Protectors are mandatory for the post-game. In EOII, EOIII, EOU and EO2U the tank (or one of the tanks in EO2U's case) is so helpful they feel almost mandatory to many players.
On the other hand in EOIV and EOV Fortress and Dragoon respectively can often be replaced by a damage class (or be turned into a damage class themself via Cannon Dragoon) which results in a stronger party.

EON kind of has both of these extremes.
As Rea and her co-commentators pointed out damage is not all that high in EON for an EO game. So in many parties a Protector will be too much defence and just drop your average damage.
However there are a few classes that take a ton of damage and suddenly Protector is way, way better. Imperials with their Drive skills and Gunners with their Charged skills take double damage. Ronin still takes a ton of damage from everything (at least in Upper Stance). And while I haven't used them myself I have heard that Nightseeker is barely more resilient. All of these love not being worried about dying because they got hit twice (or once with a hard hitting skill) so Protector suddenly becomes worth it with enough of these classes.
But the biggest synergy for Protector I have found is Shogun. Not only are they another class without actual defence (despite their portraits clearly wearing metal armor) their buffs also have serious drawbacks. A Ronin buffed by Great Warrior can erase almost any annoying random encounter enemy with Air Blade - but Great Warrior also makes them draw so much aggro they will get revenge killed often. Unless a Protector keeps them alive, of course.
And for boss fights that goes even further with Swift Justice.
I'm currently running a frontline of Imperial, Shogun and Ronin and while bosses absolutely want to kill the Imperial and Ronin they just can't because of Line Shield from my backline Protector. Instead they deal little damage and get countered by Front Command which is pretty much guaranteed to activate.

EON's 19 classes are a balancing nightmare - but they at least make it very easy to build parties that either really benefit from a Protector or don't need one at all.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

quote:

Seems like Shilleka hasn't lost her accent entirely - a bit of it came back when she was surprised by seeing the Wyvern. So it might have been a conscious effort on her part to remove her accent.
I like Shilleka's little character arc. In EO1 she was just the shop-keeper but in EOU she had two quests where she accompanied your guild into the labyrinth. She even invented a new type of medicine (even if it was a weak medicine). And now in EON she is an adventurer, wandering the world all on her own.

quote:

I always knew Shilleka was a princess Sovereign
Before becoming a shop-keeper she might have been royalty - not only does she give you Monarch March when accompanying you, Persephone also addresses her as "Lady Shilleka". I don't think she did the same for Wiglaf who is canonically from a prestigous but not royal family. In fact I don't think she ever adressed Wiglaf by name...

quote:

it feels cold for persephone to treat these people like faceless soldiers.
Persephone is definitely pretty cold. It's probably not a coincidence that her portrait doesn't even look at you 90% of the time. She is no Outland Count, that much is certain.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Leo not only gives you a free pre-emptive he and the guards will also draw aggro from Wyvern whenever one of your party members dies (I think up to three times or something).
A bit strange that after throwing two bosses at you back-to-back they found it necessary to make this fight easier than it already is. Wyvern hits kinda sorta hard for an EON boss but it's not really anything special for an EO boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Compared to other options Shogun's damage doesn't seem that insane. But their increased support potential makes for a pretty interesting class: A support character that deals damage during off turns.
It mostly reminds me of how I used Blade Master Masuraos in EOV, although way more limited.

A Shogun is a great partner for an Upper Stance Ronin. During boss fights you always love that much damage but even while exploring the labyrinth those two work great together since a Great Warrior buffed Air Blade will remove almost any dangerous random encounter enemy in one hit. And for the few that are too sturdy for that Great Warrior into Helm Splitter will kill them unless they hide in the backline.
However giving aggro to your non-Clear Stance Ronin is a terrible idea so you almost need a Protector to survive the drawback of that strategy.

I was having great success with a Shogun/Ninja that could put both Great Warrior and Swift Justice on an Imperial and a Ronin in just three turns. With a Protector I could keep these three alive while havin a great target for Front Command thanks to Line Shield. Losing Unified Effort is a bit annoying but it's a fair price to pay for having a +100% Imperial and a +100% Ronin wailing on the enemy. I usually ended boss fights before my Shoguns ran out of TP.
Binds and ailments were the bain of this party, sadly.

Edit: the Shogun class overview is at the bottom of the previous page