Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Meet my son, Urien

Yes, I hate him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

free hubcaps posted:

Kay or Perceval are probably the safe bets as far as naming a kid after a knight of the round table goes

personally I wish my name was Dagonet

I'm going to name my son Merlin

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm going to name my son Gwenevere.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Pick posted:

OK then you do it. Everyone bother Insane Totoro now. 0-8153-0746-2.

Just go find a copier/scanner and double page scan the entire book(1000 pages is alot it will probably take 2-3 hrs). Take those raw pages and pump them through scan tailor. http://scantailor.org/. Profit

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
was there ever any King Arthur / Robin hood crossover stories? not like marvel comics or whatever, but like pre 20th century.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

free hubcaps posted:

Kay or Perceval are probably the safe bets as far as naming a kid after a knight of the round table goes

Kay maybe, but "This is my son, Percy" probably wouldn't fly super high.

Plenty of Lionels and Gareths around even today though.

Gawain would be interesting. Maybe modernize it to Gowen.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My mother in law used to have an old English sheepdog named Uther. That is a fantastic name for a huge doggo :3:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
All of the knights' names are good dog names. A beautiful collie named Gawain :3:

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I have, in fact, met a woman named Guenevere. I was 13. She threatened to kidnap me because it was "destiny."

Edit: pick lemme know if you want me to stop making GBS threads up your thread with this stuff :v

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 13, 2019

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
My friend had a dog named Guenevere.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

unimportantguy posted:

I have, in fact, met a woman named Guenevere. I was 13. She threatened to kidnap me because it was "destiny."

Edit: pick lemme know if you want me to stop making GBS threads up your thread with this stuff :v

Was she hot or crazy? Or crazy hot?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Salty Josh posted:

Was she crazy?

i can settle this one for you chief

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Yeah uh I didn't think it needed to be said that a grown woman threatening to kidnap a 13 year old boy was crazy.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=360

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rutibex posted:

was there ever any King Arthur / Robin hood crossover stories? not like marvel comics or whatever, but like pre 20th century.

The Once and Future King, funnily enough.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

unimportantguy posted:

Yeah uh I didn't think it needed to be said that a grown woman threatening to kidnap a 13 year old boy was crazy.

I'll say. Woman's completely off script. Guenevere isn't the one who does the kidnapping. Who's supposed to save you, huh, Officer Meleagant?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The depiction of Arthur and Guenevere's relationship seems to vary so much it can probably be used to examine the era's ideas about relationship norms.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. Parody or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Connecticut_Yankee_in_King_Arthur%27s_Court

The audiobook version read by Nick Offerman is amazing even if you've already read it.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
My favorite Knight is Sir Gawain, because he's completely ridiculous. On the quest of the White Stag he refused to grant mercy to a defeated knight. Instead he tried to kill him, and accidentally killed the Lady of the castle. Afterwards he got tired and tried to sleep in the very same castle whose Lady he just murdered (and whose husband he tried to murder). Sir Gaheris of course tells him this a stupid loving idea. He does it anyway and gets jumped by a few knights. He beats their asses and is about to murder them when THEIR Ladies beg for mercy.

Sir Gawain's quest wasn't to go around trying to murder people. He was tasked with catching a White Stag. Because King Arthur thought it would be fun.

I just get the picture that whenever Sir Gawain comes back to court, Arthur and Gwinevere are just like "What did you gently caress up this time?"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yet another proof that the British are incapable of developing a culture.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TerraGoetia posted:

My favorite Knight is Sir Gawain, because he's completely ridiculous. On the quest of the White Stag he refused to grant mercy to a defeated knight. Instead he tried to kill him, and accidentally killed the Lady of the castle. Afterwards he got tired and tried to sleep in the very same castle whose Lady he just murdered (and whose husband he tried to murder). Sir Gaheris of course tells him this a stupid loving idea. He does it anyway and gets jumped by a few knights. He beats their asses and is about to murder them when THEIR Ladies beg for mercy.

Sir Gawain's quest wasn't to go around trying to murder people. He was tasked with catching a White Stag. Because King Arthur thought it would be fun.

I just get the picture that whenever Sir Gawain comes back to court, Arthur and Gwinevere are just like "What did you gently caress up this time?"

He's basically the closest thing to the Sir Lancelot murders random people in The Holy Grail.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have a vague memory of a King Arthur or adjacent story about a castle that housed the spear used to kill Jesus and when it was removed from the Castle the whole place started to crumble and collapse. I've always thought it was an Arthur thing but I may have just hallucinated it

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
all i really remember about this from reading them back when i was homskuul'd was how bad Merlin got it

like, he was so powerful he was immortal, but he got cursed and paralyzed or something and buried alive and he's still buried somewhere undying, kinda messed with me

immortality is a dicey thing

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
My recollection (I read my sources years ago) is that Merlin took on an apprentice named Nimue. While he was teaching her magic, Nimue was concerned that he was interested in her (depending on the source it's just her suspicion or Merlin was acting creepy as gently caress). Nimue was afraid of what might happen, so she used one of the spells Merlin taught her to imprison him in a stone. She then took over Merlin's position as an advisor / magician to King Arthur. Arthur didn't seem to care that his childhood tutor / ethics coach got taken out of the picture.

The NBC special Merlin that came out years and years ago (I loved it as a kid) revised the story so that Merlin and Nimue were actually lovers, and Nimue herself got trapped in the stone. But that rendition does a lot differently from the traditional stories.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I figure the ambiguity comes from it all being written by Renaissance professionally French weirdos who weren't allowed to talk about sex but had a million euphemisms for it and Merlin as one of the few non-knight male characters and a filthy wizard isn't expected to adhere to chaste virtue or whatever, but then Nimue is also one of the only non-noble female characters and a filthy witch, so it could be anything from him outright trying to rape a little girl to being attracted to a hot witch who decided that her mentor had outlived her usefulness. And adaptations are probably all over the place there.

I presume she told Arthur that Merlin had gone to a nice farm up-country where he can play with all the other wizards.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

holy poo poo i just had a flashback from the sword in the stone cartoon where merlin polymorphs the protagonist and he keeps getting assaulted by aggressive female whatevers

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I'm comfortable enough with my own complete lack of like pre-1200s England-Wales-Scotland knowledge to admit I don't know if King Arthur was real or not and the Wikipedia did not really clear that gap up please help goons

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

13Pandora13 posted:

I'm comfortable enough with my own complete lack of like pre-1200s England-Wales-Scotland knowledge to admit I don't know if King Arthur was real or not and the Wikipedia did not really clear that gap up please help goons

He probably wasn't real, but he may have been named after someone who was. That is the extent of my understanding.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Also there's a lot of Charlemagne in there as well, I forgot about that.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.

Heath posted:

I have a vague memory of a King Arthur or adjacent story about a castle that housed the spear used to kill Jesus and when it was removed from the Castle the whole place started to crumble and collapse. I've always thought it was an Arthur thing but I may have just hallucinated it

This is the story of the "Dolorous Stroke." Sir Balin hunts down an invisible knight and slays him at the court of the Grail King Pellam. It turns out the invisible knight is Pellam's brother; Pellam immediately seeks to avenge his brother. Balin's sword gets broken. In seeking to defend himself, Sir Balin grabs a spear... which ends up being the loving Spear of Destiny (Spear of Longinus, aka the Jesus Slayer). He deals a blow to King Pellam, which is "between the thighs." This turns the Grail Kingdom into a wasteland and also causes the castle to collapse. Three days later, Merlin digs Sir Balin out of the rubble.

My interpretation: Sir Balin cut off man's dick with the spear that pierced Christ.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

lol that owns

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

sweet geek swag posted:

He probably wasn't real, but he may have been named after someone who was. That is the extent of my understanding.

This doesn't clarify anything though, if someone isn't real but is named after someone who was...was the original person not like...real...then?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TerraGoetia posted:

This is the story of the "Dolorous Stroke." Sir Balin hunts down an invisible knight and slays him at the court of the Grail King Pellam. It turns out the invisible knight is Pellam's brother; Pellam immediately seeks to avenge his brother. Balin's sword gets broken. In seeking to defend himself, Sir Balin grabs a spear... which ends up being the loving Spear of Destiny (Spear of Longinus, aka the Jesus Slayer). He deals a blow to King Pellam, which is "between the thighs." This turns the Grail Kingdom into a wasteland and also causes the castle to collapse. Three days later, Merlin digs Sir Balin out of the rubble.

My interpretation: Sir Balin cut off man's dick with the spear that pierced Christ.

I remember in The Great Pendragon Campaign, the Dolorous Stroke is basically the big event that causes a bunch of the British Isles to become uncharted wild lands with magic and fairies returning.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

13Pandora13 posted:

This doesn't clarify anything though, if someone isn't real but is named after someone who was...was the original person not like...real...then?

There may have been some Breton king or Roman general who was called Arthur or Artos or something along those lines. It's unlikely his life resembled the mythological Arthur in any meaningful way.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

TerraGoetia posted:

Thank you, this is much cooler than I remembered it being

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There may have been some Breton king or Roman general who was called Arthur or Artos or something along those lines. It's unlikely his life resembled the mythological Arthur in any meaningful way.

I don't think the question of "was there an Arthur" has ever really been settled. The book most people cite when searching for a historical basis for King Arthur is Geoffrey of Monmouth's "The History of the Kings of Britain." I've never read it, but heard that it contains some pieces of the story--there's a Merlin and a Mordred. The account was disputed in it's own time by some, and widely believed to be made up today.

One archaeologist writes: “Arthur is an amalgam of at least five characters. He is, in effect, a composite Celtic superhero—the ultimate warrior for the Britons.”

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

He's a very early Mary Sue then? But actually a lot of classical heroes seem like that come to think of it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A Mary Sue in the original sense is basically a fanfiction character who upstages the original protagonist, with qualities and traits that outshine the actual protagonist. (like say, the teenage girl who becomes the new captain of the Enterprise and is half Vulcan and half Andorian and also a Jedi and and and) Historically, a lot of 'heroes' could technically fall under that.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A Mary Sue in the original sense is basically a fanfiction character who upstages the original protagonist, with qualities and traits that outshine the actual protagonist. (like say, the teenage girl who becomes the new captain of the Enterprise and is half Vulcan and half Andorian and also a Jedi and and and) Historically, a lot of 'heroes' could technically fall under that.

Including... Jesus Christ :nsa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

:fry: