Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I have some absurdly stupid things that have happened to me in my 6ish years of touring, but I'll leave a recent one.

So this year the 4th of July was the homecoming show of the tour, the tour was a nightmare, and halfway through I decided I was going to quit the band when we got back. Get to the club, unload, and my friend shows up raging at the world tripping on mushrooms, so of course he offers me some and I said "Fuuuuuuuuuck yes lemme get some!" this was at 8:30 pm. 4 band bill, we are suppose to go on at 12:30.

Cue me blasting through my drink tickets, friends buying me beers, and a second dose of mushrooms. First band kicks rear end, and I'm really starting to feel these mushrooms. Second band also kicks rear end, and I take another dose of mushrooms, along with a 15mg adderall pill. Now I'm flying very high, watching fireworks and generally having a great time, but also just want to get the stupid show over with so I can quit this band, load my gear, and get the gently caress in bed. By this time, I lost my phone somewhere (I plugged it in behind the merch table) and was wondering "what the gently caress time is it?" It was 12:45, and the third band is still playing. So of course I yell at them from the side of the stage when they finish a song, but because I'm "the dude on mushrooms" my friends say gently caress it and keep playing. Cue more don't give a fuckness and I take my 4th dose of mushrooms, and now I'm really ready to play. They finish, I get my bass all hooked up, and we launch into the set at about 1am.

Second song in, I break my strap. Not it came loose, not it slacked out, I break the drat end off. Now, I thrash around quite a bit when I play, so in addition to strap locks, the ends of the strap are guerilla taped like a mofo to my bass. I keep playing with no strap, for about 3 minutes (?? time was very hard to keep up with at this point) until the first break in the song, dude from the second band has his bass ready for me. Killer, but the guitarist launches into the next part, so I have T minus 15 seconds to check if this bass is in our tuning. Turns out it was a whole step up. Now I don't know when the last time you tried to tune a bass in front of a packed room of people, while you can't read the tuner pedal because you're tripping balls, a little bit wasted, while fireworks blast off out the giant window behind you, but I advise against it. I got the lowest string mostly in tune by ear, and kinda freestyled the end of the song on that string. Finally I had some time to tune all the way, and we raged out the rest of the set. It was a good last show.

Strap destruction:

Unlisted video clip of no strap playing, there was more video, but this was the only one I saved in my phone. (Also not my first time as you can tell, I think that makes strap #8 I've destroyed in some fashion on stage, also protip, grab the highest string with your pinky, and ring finger, and you can still headbang)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIR6lT_0LC4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU