Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
the real deathblow to anarchy reigns was being a essentinally online multiplayer only game with some of the worst netcode I've ever seen, where I would lag teleport into chinese girl juggles or blacker baron instant kill shinryuken all the time. shocked wonderful 101 got a re-release before it did but maybe sega is keeping it in a vault or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I just got DMC5 on PS5, whats the deal with turbo? Should I wait for that on a second playthrough?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

darealkooky posted:

the real deathblow to anarchy reigns was being a essentinally online multiplayer only game with some of the worst netcode I've ever seen, where I would lag teleport into chinese girl juggles or blacker baron instant kill shinryuken all the time. shocked wonderful 101 got a re-release before it did but maybe sega is keeping it in a vault or something.

Pretty sure more people bought W101 than Anarchy Regins despite it being a WiiU exclusive so that probably had something to do with it lol

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

darealkooky posted:

I seem to vaguely remember the case being for Baron's in particular that it would do more damage the laggier it was because it did damage on every frame or something like that? I think there were a few characters that were like that but Barons was the biggest offender of it anyway.

Everybody freaks out about Bayo being Smash when she guest starred in Anarchy Reigns first! I also remember the devs doing a live stream (back in the Jtv days when nobody ever did streams really) of some gameplay and when people asked about patches to make the game better the dev said in a very defeated and matter of fact voice "Ask Sega about that not me"

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I just got DMC5 on PS5, whats the deal with turbo? Should I wait for that on a second playthrough?

There's no gameplay benefit with or without turbo. It's just a matter of preference which you want to play at. Many of us who have been playing the series for a long time just want more and faster and more and faster, so turbo is an obvious choice.
Part of getting better at the game is having an intuitive understanding of the timing of your and your enemies' attacks. So if you start in standard speed and switch to turbo later, there will be some relearning.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm glad to see some love for Anarchy Reigns in here :yaycloud:

It had some cool characters that deserve to be seen outside of this one fairly unloved game.

How can you not love The Blacker Baron with his Ghostface Killer eagle gloves that light on fire?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jack Trades posted:

Balrog super does most damage.
Yamato super has the largest AoE.
Mirage Edge super...does neither. That one I don't know what it's good for but it looks cool.

now i can't get them to ever go off. what the hell? it's just enter SDT, hold down lockon, walk towards enemy, hit triangle+circle isn't it?

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

mastershakeman posted:

now i can't get them to ever go off. what the hell? it's just enter SDT, hold down lockon, walk towards enemy, hit triangle+circle isn't it?

You also need to ensure you're at level 2 concentration (at or above the final third of the bar).

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Brutakas posted:

You also need to ensure you're at level 2 concentration (at or above the final third of the bar).

Lmao oh

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
You also don't need to enter SDT, just have the bar full.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kikas posted:

You also don't need to enter SDT, just have the bar full.

You should enter SDT though because without it you're going to use full bar to do one super while if you enter SDT first your supers only use 30% of the bar allowing you to do up to 4 supers in a row.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Finally fought dante on devil hunter and it is the funniest loving thing facing that poo poo. I had no idea what half his moves were. Its too bad there isn't a super dante of everything combined

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Discuss

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

The origin should be to the right of all of them

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

If I only played DMC4, I'd probably put Nero right in Dante's quadrant but after playing 5 and seeing how he copes with Nico... yeah, can't really argue with any of this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like all of them minus POSSIBLY Nero should be in the left

Nero does not deserve to be in the Smart side when he stood there gawking as a weird dude in a cloak ominously stood there and stared at him,.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
To be fair to Nero, he didn't stand there gawking at first, he thought he wanted food (I guess weirdos in cloaks invite themselves into his garage regularly for food) and went back to working on... whatever the gently caress he was trying to fix.

He did have a moment where he was too slow in picking up "wait why is my demon arm glowi-... oh poo poo"

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Something interesting I never saw before : I was playing Misison 13 as V and in the final room I fell through the floor. I wound up in a small tunnel with a bunch of floating orbs breadcrumbing me up to a red orb tree above the chamber. I restarted the mission as Nero and Dante was trying to get me to follow him to a certain spot, at which point he too seemed to glitch through the floor. Looking up you can see there are actually two red orb trees. It's strange that the area is so glitchy, I guess they built those as safety measures for when players wind up out of bounds.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like all of them minus POSSIBLY Nero should be in the left

Nero does not deserve to be in the Smart side when he stood there gawking as a weird dude in a cloak ominously stood there and stared at him,.

There are probably a TON of homeless people after everything that happened to Fortuna in 4. Nero is probably used to feeding the ragged masses that are still trying to rebuild, and he was busy fixing the truck after all.

But yeah, he could have responded faster when he arm started glowing and the guy mumbled under his breath "i'm taking it back"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Cementing himself as dead weight

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I like the idea that Nero has developed a nuclear level of restraint because he’s extremely brash and hotheaded in 4 and ultra chill in 5.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I give Nero a pass regarding the arm thing because it probably hasn't done anything outside of his control since the whole Fortuna incident, so he's putting together the dots. "Why is my arm glowing, wait it only glows when oh it's not attached anymore, ow???"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I just realized how god damned disappointed I am that you don't get to fight against Nero as Vergil

e: with a custom taunt. "Your fool Uncle is right, you are dead weight!"

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 3, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Absolutely worth it for the intro of M20 though. Primo badass anime poo poo.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I've been a fan of this since Devil May Cry 1 launched on PS2.

That said, I didn't think anything could get better than Mission 20 "Silver Bullet" with Nero saying "gently caress you!" to start it.

Then Mission 20 "Bury the Light" oh my God...Casey Edwards just needs to do more and get all the money.

I'm sad that it will be a while, not for another Devil May Cry, but for another game to have this kind of amazing, goofy soundtrack.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I do like how each of the 4 character's main combat themes sounds exactly like a track the respective character would enjoy. V with some nice brooding electro-industrial, Dante's deathcore piece is fun but a bit dumb, and Vergil's theme is essentially a more imposing and serious sounding take on Nero's track, which is simply fantastic. to be fair, DmC's Combichrist soundtrack was also a perfect fit for their Dante

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Anyone try out the switch port of DMC3?

Found out over the weekend they altered it so you can switch between all your different styles, which was a mainstay feature they included with 4 onward. I've only played vanilla DMC3 so it's my first time playing this way, the combat has become pretty goddamn bonkers because of it, I love it. I have no idea how I played my ps2 version locked to only one style, feels like it's impossible to go back to that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Parrotine posted:

Anyone try out the switch port of DMC3?

Found out over the weekend they altered it so you can switch between all your different styles, which was a mainstay feature they included with 4 onward. I've only played vanilla DMC3 so it's my first time playing this way, the combat has become pretty goddamn bonkers because of it, I love it. I have no idea how I played my ps2 version locked to only one style, feels like it's impossible to go back to that.

They also added co-op in the Bloody Palace too. It's probably the best version of the game that isn't a modded PC version.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah it's all fine and dandy but for the life of me I still can't beat Mission 19 because Vergil needs to have his moment apparently and it takes away all your style moves. Easily the worst part of DMC3.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The second part of M19 is easier than the first part though. Just mash the buttons and you're damage output is massive.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They also added co-op in the Bloody Palace too. It's probably the best version of the game that isn't a modded PC version.

Honestly it feels like playing a brand new game, I would have easily dropped fourth or fifty for this version, twenty feels like I'm stealing poo poo here.

Now I'm dying to play 5 but all the dipshit scalpers have made getting that console impossible for probably the rest of the year :argh:

Yes I know it's on PS4, but I don't have one and wanna play this bitch with the top shelf latest-and-greatest system. Haven't touched a playstation or xbox since the ps2 days, I wanna have the graphics blow up my mind here.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
5 is such an amazing game. I’m considering a new gen Xbox just for whatever the minimal additional content is.

That and I’ve heard the loading times are way better in the upgraded version.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Vergil is legitimately more fun than Dante/Nero/V IMO. It’s maybe the best power fantasy in the series. I just feel absolutely untouchable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vergil is OP as poo poo and his movelist is so straightforward that once you learn how to deal with his Concentration he becomes really easy to dominate with.
I really struggled through DMD with other characters but with Vergil it's a total cakewalk.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I have some issues with Bury the Light's pacing as a combat song since it's so easy to blow past the early style ranks and into S-rank's territory (I AM THE STORM IS APPROACHING) but I cannot deny that it's probably the best character song in the entire series and feeds into the power fantasy so obscenely well

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Vergil is on standard Xbox and yes owns

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

I have some issues with Bury the Light's pacing as a combat song since it's so easy to blow past the early style ranks and into S-rank's territory (I AM THE STORM IS APPROACHING) but I cannot deny that it's probably the best character song in the entire series and feeds into the power fantasy so obscenely well

That's not Vergil's real theme, this one is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_kB97VrKBA

They've played it in every Vergil reveal trailer since 3.

White Light fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 14, 2021

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

https://twitter.com/munstamasta/status/1370559465846673410?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

We'll be Right Back *jingle plays*