Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Fereydun posted:

interview stuff

I'm glad capcom seems to have learned from their mistakes in the early to mid 2010's and have just given their in house talent a lot of freedom to make the games they want to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Demo is slowwwwwww and I don't remember DMC4SE being turbo as default unless it just was... Also the camera is entirely too close.

Promising though.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The first course of action with the demo should always be to set camera distance to max in the menu

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Is this demo the same one that was released on the Xbone a few weeks back?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is the same sections as that one yes. A few things changed like another section to fight to Hells, a new devil breaker, and you can actually access the shop this time, but it's mostly the same.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I finished the demo with only B rank overall. Shameful. :negative:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Didn't see this in the OP but there's also online multiplayer in certain levels with the "cameo" system

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Really missing the lack of somber music for the upgrade screen this time around. Devil May Cry 2 had the best one and it's one of the very few things in that game I'm fond of.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I keep getting so close to S but always get bonked on the head once while taunting

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Apologies if this has been posted before, but

The time has come, and so have I

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The op mentions there are no in-game benefits to style meter but at bare minimum Punchline's skill description says the length you can ride it depends on your current Style ranking

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I died to Goliath the first time I played the demo yesterday but went back in today and got an A rank. Not bad for only having 4 combos and taking a like half my lifebar of avoidable damage.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Monaghan posted:

I'm glad capcom seems to have learned from their mistakes in the early to mid 2010's and have just given their in house talent a lot of freedom to make the games they want to make.

If you look into the games around that time it is seriously amazing how many of the bad decisions are directly Inafune's fault.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

The op mentions there are no in-game benefits to style meter but at bare minimum Punchline's skill description says the length you can ride it depends on your current Style ranking

You're right, I changed that section to better reflect this.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SirKibbles posted:

If you look into the games around that time it is seriously amazing how many of the bad decisions are directly Inafune's fault.

I'm curious what caused the turnaround from the mid-2010s to now but yeah Inafune was an executive producer on a lot of poo poo back then. It probably was also due to people like Mikami and Kamiya leaving. All I know is that people have said that around 2014 or 2015 there was some kind of massive management shakeup at Capcom but I don't got any articles about it.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The Exceed system feels a lot more forgiving then I remember it being in 4. I like it, just gotta hit R2 just half a second after attack like ba-bap and you'll get it about every time.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Flytrap posted:

The Exceed system feels a lot more forgiving then I remember it being in 4. I like it, just gotta hit R2 just half a second after attack like ba-bap and you'll get it about every time.

yeah I noticed this as well, same with dodge. I kind of like that though, you still have to juggle a lot of things happening so I never felt like it was too easy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

You're right, I changed that section to better reflect this.

Otherwise an awesome OP, just wanted to point that out.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm just glad I can use the grapple whenever. I was worried that it would only be tied to the Buster Arm, but that turned out not to be the case :unsmith:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

There we go

All this time I thought you needed the no hit bonus for S but I managed to get it while taking one potshot from Goliath

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ugh! Is there any way to stop YouTube from spoiling DMC5 for me other than not loving using it at all for the next month? It's starting to piss me off.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Click on ASMR and balloon popping fetish videos until your Youtube recommended feed is free of all temptation.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Click on ASMR and balloon popping fetish videos until your Youtube recommended feed is free of all temptation.

Way ahead of you, bud

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Jack Trades posted:

Ugh! Is there any way to stop YouTube from spoiling DMC5 for me other than not loving using it at all for the next month? It's starting to piss me off.

Clear any DMCV videos from your Youtube watch history and then pause watch history until you've played the game. Youtube's lovely algorithm is based entirely on that so it (mostly) won't show you "Devil May Cry V: Satsu No Hadou Lucia Murders Resurrected Virgil ENDING!!" if you click one DMC1 audio track video from 2008. You can also just nuke your watch history entirely before pausing it but that will undoubtedly default you to ranting racist dipshits for recommendations.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

This demo is so good but I can't find how to taunt. It's not in the control options that I can see.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
By default it's on the touchpad for ps4 and back button for xbone

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Can you change your devil breakers somehow?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Can you change your devil breakers somehow?

Only with the fork Devil Breaker whose special ability is to do that. You can customize the order they come in at save spots but otherwise they seem to want you to be using them up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It really seems like they want you to improvise with Nero instead of sticking to your favorite Devil Breaker.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Jack Trades posted:

It really seems like they want you to improvise with Nero instead of sticking to your favorite Devil Breaker.

joke's on them i'm exclusively stocking up on gerbera because that air burst should be a default move

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if devil breakers are disposable then is there even much of a point to the preorder ones

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

if devil breakers are disposable then is there even much of a point to the preorder ones

Devil Breakers appear in the environment and can be purchased from the shop for an absolute pittance (100 red orbs in the demo.). This presumably includes the preorder ones.

Also if you're confident enough not to get hit while using a breaker move you don't necessarily have to treat them as disposable.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Captain Baal posted:

By default it's on the touchpad for ps4 and back button for xbone

lol of course it's the one I forget exists

So now that I've gone through the demo twice, I'm really looking forward to this. I knew the gameplay was going to be great, but Nero feels a lot better. He's fun in 4, but the breakers add more versatility to him that I feel is significantly lacking compared to the other playable characters. He still seems to have some of his cinematic grab potential from 4, too: in my first attempt against Goliath I managed to do a sick gutpunch while he was down that knocked him into the air, but I'm not actually sure how I did it and don't remember what breaker I had equipped. I kinda like that it's not as easy as "press button when boss is down" but I'm interested in finding out more specifics about that kind of thing. I'm liking that exceed seems a little more forgiving now, too.

I'm not as much of a fan of my controller acting as another sound system for the exceed effects, and I wasn't able to figure out if there's an option to turn that off. I probably just didn't look hard enough, though.

Plot/theming-wise, some of the naming choices for stuff in the demo are really interesting to me. The grubs that you use to chew up roots of the big evil tree being named after the Norse dragon of Hel that chews on the roots of the world tree is a nice touch, but also makes me wonder if, since they're called hatchlings, there'll actually be a proper Nidhogg boss in the full game.

The Hells are also, rather than being named after sins, given names specifically related to treachery. The Hell Caina is named after a segment of Cocytus, the circle of traitors in the Divine Comedy, and obviously named after Cain. The Hell Judecca is the deepest segment of Cocytus, named after Judas. That could leave Antenora, after Antenor from the Iliad who betrayed his country, and Ptolomea, after Ptolemy, governor of Jericho, who murdered his guests, though I'm more interested in whether there's any significance in the theme of treachery there, especially considering they're based on DMC3 enemies and the whole conflict in that game.

The tree itself is also called the Qliphoth, which are 10 evil or impure forces in Jewish mysticism that lie on the tree of death, and are a counterpart the 10 positive Sephirot residing on the tree of life. It isn't just a binary good/evil dichotomy, though: Qliphoth directly translates into "shells" or "peels" and they act as a "shell" containing holiness within them, like needing to peel an orange to get at the flesh inside. At the same time, they also protect the holiness inside them, keeping the divine from being dissipated and weakened. They're negative traits, but they have beneficial functions and need to be there. It's a pretty significant use of the name that calling it Yggdrasil or the Sephirot wouldn't convey, so I'm really curious if that's reflected in the game itself.

Then again this is also the series that named a giant lava spider Phantom and called a light-wielding manticore Beowulf, so these could mean nothing at all, but the other names referenced in the series have been at least somewhat thematically appropriate so far.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The writer for this game was saying on Twitter not to long ago that DMC5 is his best work yet and that he can't wait for people to see the full story.

Me neither.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
dmc remake is the only good devil may cry game

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

John Romero posted:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

John Romero posted:

*teleports behind you* nothin personnel kid

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

John Romero posted:

no one's ever gone for this play and been able to actually back it so let's see what happens here

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dias posted:

no one's ever gone for this play and been able to actually back it so let's see what happens here

I mean I could bullshit something if you wanted but I sure don't believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Dias posted:

if DMC 4 is so great, why are there 0 sniper rifle abortions in it? Checkmate, DMCailures.