Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Jack Trades posted:

The writer for this game was saying on Twitter not to long ago that DMC5 is his best work yet and that he can't wait for people to see the full story.

Me neither.

I'm hoping the script includes lots of "and then Dante shoots the demon in the head"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm hoping the script includes lots of "and then Dante shoots the demon in the head"

Also "Dante gets penetrated by a large, hard phallic sword and powers up."

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

...wait, it just now clicked for me. Isn't that the final solution to every boss Dante fights in DMC4?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jack Trades posted:

And you guys say Dante doesn't gently caress.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Jack Trades posted:

That's why the new main bad guy is such a threat he starts off by breaking Dantes sword instead of trying to impale him with it

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

I haven't played through 4 in a while but just in the demo alone Nero seems a lot more like...Dante? In this one? I remember him being kind of a wet blanket but the way he goofs around on Goliath feels very dmc3 Dante to me. Not a complaint at all actually I like it much better, I wonder what Dante's characterization will be like in this one, if he'll be a little more mellow in contrast or if we'll just have two Dantes. Either one is good for me.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Nero spends a lot of DMC4 being extremely angry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In DMC4 he went through his pope being murdered (seemingly), his girlfriend being kidnapped, his entire organization betraying him and being eaten by an rear end in a top hat god. It's pretty understandable that he isn't as chill.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

In DMC4 he went through his pope being murdered (seemingly), his girlfriend being kidnapped, his entire organization betraying him and being eaten by an rear end in a top hat god. It's pretty understandable that he isn't as chill.

I like his chilled out persona this time around, seems more fun and keeps Dante's old snark though Nero comes off as probably smarter. When they made a "new" Dante for DmC this was probably what they were aiming for; unfortunately they didn't quite stick that landing.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

He spends the early portions of DMC4 being snarky at the bosses but loses that once things get personal.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The main difference between Nero and Dante's taunting is that Dante's is playful and lighthearted, basically purely for his own amusement, whereas Nero is a bit more rude and foul-mouthed, which is something that gets lost on the greater masses of video games who only choose to remember the couple of cutscenes where he's (understandably) worried about his girlfriend dying and so thus have forever characterized Nero as "whiny" or "emo" or whatever lazy insults they were using a decade ago.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 10, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also there’s nothing in the cannon that doesn’t suggest Dante maybe hung out with Nero for a little while after 4, and had a chance to maybe take the kid under his wing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well according to the recent chronology video capcom put out 4 takes place after 2 now.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
That's something I've been curious to know if it's expanded in the novels. Does Nero actually know Dante is his uncle? It's never actually explicitly stated in the game, the closest being when Dante says he's letting Nero keep Yamato because he's 'keeping it in the family'.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just as a heads up in case you're thinking about buying the game for PC, the Deluxe Edition is currently 17% off on Steam. With the $5 discount from the lunar sale, you can get the Deluxe version right now for $65. Semper games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Flytrap posted:

That's something I've been curious to know if it's expanded in the novels. Does Nero actually know Dante is his uncle? It's never actually explicitly stated in the game, the closest being when Dante says he's letting Nero keep Yamato because he's 'keeping it in the family'.

The novels only really clarify Nero's origins to the audience. He himself is never more aware about Vergil's side of the family than he is in DMC4. I imagine Dante never bothered to tell him either because he knows what familial baggage is and probably just trusts that Nero will do alright without that knowledge. I'm sure it's gonna come up in this game though since one of the opening cutscenes seems to be leaning very heavily on Dante feeling Vergil is back and a lot of the trailers make it come off as if he is trying to leave Nero out of the conflict.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Flytrap posted:

My favorite thing would be since Nero and Dante look alike that Nero has been assuming Dante was his dad the whole time because it's too awkward to just bring up.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

TriffTshngo posted:

The main difference between Nero and Dante's taunting is that Dante's is playful and lighthearted, basically purely for his own amusement, whereas Nero is a bit more rude and foul-mouthed, which is something that gets lost on the greater masses of video games who only choose to remember the couple of cutscenes where he's (understandably) worried about his girlfriend dying and so thus have forever characterized Nero as "whiny" or "emo" or whatever lazy insults they were using a decade ago.
there's actually an interview with itsuno and yuji shimomura where they go over the difference between dante and nero's personalities besides the dramatic poo poo and the main diff lies in how they approach the showboating - it's not necessarily that nero is more rude/foul-mouthed (which he def is.), but also in the tone: dante's enjoying himself and just doing stuff that he thinks is cool while nero is trying to 'show off' - nero's trying to be cool while dante is more in the definition of someone who is "cool" b/c they naturally just do the cool poo poo for their own enjoyment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM2ai72jTIQ&t=145s

there's also an interview in the dmc artbook where they describe it as "nero is someone who would cover up their privates in a public bathhouse while dante would just let it hang"
see:

also lol

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol Itsuno owns. Also I had no idea he was basically the muscle behind almost everything not Resident Evil/Street Fighter/Mega Man at Capcom. Director for Rival Schools, Power Stone, Darkstalkers, DMC after Kamiya jumped, and Dragon's Dogma is a hell of a resume.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

The novels only really clarify Nero's origins to the audience. He himself is never more aware about Vergil's side of the family than he is in DMC4. I imagine Dante never bothered to tell him either because he knows what familial baggage is and probably just trusts that Nero will do alright without that knowledge. I'm sure it's gonna come up in this game though since one of the opening cutscenes seems to be leaning very heavily on Dante feeling Vergil is back and a lot of the trailers make it come off as if he is trying to leave Nero out of the conflict.

Ahh, thank you. People have also been theorizing that Kyrie is pregnant (she's 'top secret', the massage hand), it'd be neat if that actually came up as part of the plot. Nero just harassing Dante after he figures out, telling him to be a granduncle ya prick.

...or telling him to keep away so his kids don't become hobos.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It makes perfect sense to me that Nero goes from being a tryhard angry teenager to a chill jokey adult in the time between 4 and 5, especially after finding out Dante is a good guy and also his uncle. I don’t think it’s a shift based on public response, it’s totally logical as a planned character arc.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Pirate Jet posted:

tryhard angry teenager

that's what we have v for now

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

V is like, the opposite of angry.
He's more of a lethargic goth kid that spends every morning in front of a mirror practicing cool quips so he can look cool in case he gets an opportunity to use them.

Also I love him.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I love V so much. My favorite bit from the trailers is him reciting his usual Blake poo poo and Nero just giving him that really confused look. He acts in a way only a really full of themselves 15 year olds ever would in real life and I love that the other characters actually point that out.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Finally had the chance to play the demo over the weekend, is weird to get used to playing DMC after not playing it for so long but everything slowly fell in place as I played more. I still need time to get used to Devil Breakers but otherwise it was a great experience, and somehow I managed to get an A rank despite Goliath thoroughly kicking my rear end and only surviving thanks to the conveniently placed green orbs. :v:

March can't get here fast enough.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah I've also played the demo over the weekend and it's the same for me. Game's a lot of fun, but I will need practice as getting off the charged devil breaker attacks is a lot harder than I thought.
At least Goliath didn't kick my rear end, beat him on the first try.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I've been having some trouble coming to grips with the lockon in this game. Sometimes I'll try to lock on to do high roller and he'll lock on to someone waaaaaay across the room instead of the guy I'm standing next to. Am I missing something with the lock mechanics? I think part of it is still the muscle memory from DMC4 combined with the different camera, so I'm used to not having to move the camera to pick a target, but it seems weird that it will favor the enemy that's really far away over the one I'm facing 2 feet away.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I had the same issue. I remember DMC4 having two lock on settings: it could either lock onto the nearest enemy or whichever one you were pushing the stick towards. I hope that's in the full game.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

This air game is insane. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9w6fALkcBg

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Nero is the greatest Floor is Lava champ of all time.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Jagged Jim posted:

Nero is the greatest Floor is Lava champ of all time.

just wait until people get their hands on Dante

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

just wait until people get their hands on Dante

I can't wait for this game's version of SWORTRICKSWORGUASWORDTRICKGUNTRICKGUARDSWORDTRICKGUNSWORTRICK

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Back on my previous comment about the naming scheme of stuff in the game, I couldn't remember the name of the main antagonist at the time, but it came up again so I did some more checking: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urizen

It's another goddamn William Blake reference. A character representing the embodiment of reason and law, who constrains the universe and the people within in the rules of conventional society. He's one of the Zoas, four divisions of the central "god". Rather than being a divine figure, though, he's portrayed more as a Satanic figure, rebellious against the other deities. Like the Qliphoth, it's a weirdly specific name choice that definitely wouldn't be echoed by giving him a standard Satanic figure name. The Demiurge of Gnostic texts would be the closest comparison.

The next obvious question is whether our Blake-quoting buddy V could be a reference to anything connected to Urizen, but I'm not seeing anything that jumps out as a decent comparison yet.

I'm aware this is a real weird discussion to have about Devil May Cry but this poo poo's interesting as hell to me.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Squidtentacle posted:

Back on my previous comment about the naming scheme of stuff in the game, I couldn't remember the name of the main antagonist at the time, but it came up again so I did some more checking: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urizen

It's another goddamn William Blake reference. A character representing the embodiment of reason and law, who constrains the universe and the people within in the rules of conventional society. He's one of the Zoas, four divisions of the central "god". Rather than being a divine figure, though, he's portrayed more as a Satanic figure, rebellious against the other deities. Like the Qliphoth, it's a weirdly specific name choice that definitely wouldn't be echoed by giving him a standard Satanic figure name. The Demiurge of Gnostic texts would be the closest comparison.

The next obvious question is whether our Blake-quoting buddy V could be a reference to anything connected to Urizen, but I'm not seeing anything that jumps out as a decent comparison yet.

I'm aware this is a real weird discussion to have about Devil May Cry but this poo poo's interesting as hell to me.

I'm still standing with "the antagonist created V and he's actually as young as he jokes to be" making him Nero's half brother in spirit if Urizen is Vergil. Fittingly, Urizen's sons band together in rebellion against him Blake's mythos.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So V is basically the new Trish?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Played the demo some more because I've been lacking some action and drat it's so weird coming from the DMC4 LDK mode, cause in the demo you have what, like 20 enemies total? That's way too little for me now :v: However the fact that they switched up the input for Split is a crime against humanity.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

marshmallow creep posted:

So V is basically the new Trish?

I just can't help but think that because of the "I am but two days old" joke and how he has summons based on DMC1 demons.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Itsuno interview asking him questions about how the landscape of action games have changed since DMC4, if he wants to do fighting games again, fan reaction to DMC5, and the cameo system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pccxNpZVZA

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 12, 2019

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The enemy variety looks so good. Nothing looks annoying to fight either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBX posted:

The enemy variety looks so good. Nothing looks annoying to fight either.

There's going to be at least one obnoxious demon that nearly ruins the game on its own, it's devil may cry baby