Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
~55 taps in, another 45 to go, plus another 10-15 if I want to add more lines.

(click make big)

This was the drip I was getting as soon as I had the tank cleaned out; only had ~20-25 taps in at the time.

Here's the critical moment; you can see that when the tap hits a certain point there's a bubble backwards as the valve rolls and sap starts to flow.

I had this much fall into my tank from 20-25 taps within about 20 mins of having cleaned out the tank.

I cleaned out my murder shack pretty good last summer.

Cutting out a block of snow/ice with a hot water hose feels like a really, really lame version of laser cutting.

Different year; same splicing-poo poo-on-ladders-propped-on-ice bullshit.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Sweet thread OP. I did a bunch of sugaring in high school and college and it’s making me nostalgic for those days, which is not something I ever thought I’d say.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Awesome stuff. Once when I was a kid I went to a syrup farm (idk is there a name for it?) and it was cool.

Gath
Sep 23, 2009
Been busy, but its been a season here. I dont have much to compare, but like 186 taps with 1000+ gallons of 1% to 1.3% roughly 12ish gallons so far.

The RO bucket is essential. Buy the biggest one you can afford with a shutoff valve on low pressure.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Gath posted:

Been busy, but its been a season here. I dont have much to compare, but like 186 taps with 1000+ gallons of 1% to 1.3% roughly 12ish gallons so far.

The RO bucket is essential. Buy the biggest one you can afford with a shutoff valve on low pressure.

Sage advice; not in the budget for this year. I ran 700gal sap total last year for 14.5gal syrup; I can do that volume on my setup as is no problem. RO will come eventually, maybe vacuum.

I cut out some of the grosser bits of line with crud on the inside, but I guess boiling kills all that ails? I've drank my share of straight sap already and I'm not dead yet.

There was maybe 15gal sitting out there around 3pm today, but I'm thinking I may be in for a small first boil tomorrow (I wasn't all tapped in until 3).

Looks like a couple runs here.

Gath
Sep 23, 2009
I learned today that the tin i used to cover the evap after boil makes my syrup taste like iron. If it condenses and drips back into pan. :negative: thats a half gallon down the drain.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Gath posted:

I learned today that the tin i used to cover the evap after boil makes my syrup taste like iron. If it condenses and drips back into pan. :negative: thats a half gallon down the drain.

:( that's a bummer.

I should probably cover my pans, ha, but they're inside a shed, and I double filter everything before sterile canning.

It's been very, very cold which has suited me well because I have been sick. I seem to be around the corner on that, and we're going to get some weather into the upper 30s and maybe 40s. Obnoxiously it has been very sunny and with the warmth comes rain, but we'll see what the week holds.

I do not think my neighbors tapped at all this year, which makes me a little sad; they are fairly aged, and I liked seeing them out on ATVs with saws and poo poo. Hopefully my own season is good enough that I can at least give them some...

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I haven't been updating because of job search plus COVID prep but we are in full swing here, I think I'm like 200gal in, finishing a second batch today.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

400 gallons sap through.

At ~8gallons finished, probably another gallon or so in the pan. Things are slowing down, it may not be a great year but that's the least of my worries right now. Assuming 9 gallons, 4 for us, probably $250 profit, less 235 expenses for the year... so, if it ends now, it'd be close to "break even, with a ton of syrup for us", except I spent $800 having the power company deal with the tree I inexpertly dropped on a line. So, hopefully I get a few gallons more to help start paying that off...

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Question for people who run an RO unit and a filter press. How much -if any- of your setup from one machine is usable with the other? Like if you were starting over from the ground up, is there anything you would tweak so it could run double duty?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Had her running a little hot last night

I think that's it though, I'm done. 2.5 gallons off the first boil from noon to 11pm 2 weeks ago. 5 gallons off the second and last boil. It's frustrating seeing the buckets fill up faster than you can boil but better having too much than too little. I really need to make that bucket RO.

The first batch turned out really gorgeous, filtered nicely and super light color.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Dude you've got snow on the ground and light coloured syrup. It is clearly still early in the season for you.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DreadLlama posted:

Dude you've got snow on the ground and light coloured syrup. It is clearly still early in the season for you.

People around here might go one more week, two tops. I'm getting moths in the buckets already and that light batch was two weeks ago. I haven't bottled the stuff from last night yet, it'll definitely be darker mostly because I was going right from buckets to the evaporator. Next 7 days has lows around 0 which won't be enough to pump a lot and highs around 7-10 so I'll have to collect the little bits each day and refrigerate or mess with ice blocks. I don't sell much, so just need enough for gifts/family/us, I'm good. Time to start getting ready for fishing season.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Do you ever go down a wikipedia rabbit hole and find yourself unable to refrain from asking too many stupid questions on the internet?

Look at this thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler#Misting_systems posted:

Evaporative coolers lower the temperature of air using the principle of evaporative cooling, unlike typical air conditioning systems which use vapor-compression refrigeration or absorption refrigeration. Evaporative cooling is the conversion of liquid water into vapor using the thermal energy in the air, resulting in a lower air temperature. The energy needed to evaporate the water is taken from the air in the form of sensible heat, which affects the temperature of the air, and converted into latent heat, the energy present in the water vapor component of the air, whilst the air remains at a constant enthalpy value. This conversion of sensible heat to latent heat is known as an isenthalpic process because it occurs at a constant enthalpy value. Evaporative cooling therefore causes a drop in the temperature of air proportional to the sensible heat drop and an increase in humidity proportional to the latent heat gain.

Misting systems work by forcing water via a high pressure pump and tubing through a brass and stainless steel mist nozzle that has an orifice of about 5 micrometres, thereby producing a micro-fine mist. The water droplets that create the mist are so small that they instantly flash-evaporate. Flash evaporation can reduce the surrounding air temperature by as much as 35 °F (20 °C) in just seconds.[26] For patio systems, it is ideal to mount the mist line approximately 8 to 10 feet (2.4 to 3.0 m) above the ground for optimum cooling. Misting is used for applications such as flowerbeds, pets, livestock, kennels, insect control, odor control, zoos, veterinary clinics, cooling of produce, and greenhouses.

Do you ever wonder if there isn't an alternate universe in which sugar shacks resemble giant shower stalls and concentrate sap by cooling it?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

DreadLlama now I want/need to smoke weed at 10:13AM, thanks for the headache!

This is kind of neat because left to right: My 1st run this year, my 3rd run this year, my 1st run last year.

I am getting better at this.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

2.5g of Jack Herrar shatter and some first run.

I am gonna take a shot at maple candy and THC infused candy.

I am aiming for 3-500mg of decarbed shatter per piece candy. For me, these will be "just right". For normies they will be "uh, eat like 10% of one and wait 2 hours". :getin:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Did you put butter in or...? That couldn't just work by leaving it in your finishing pan, could it? Is that what you did? Dude.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I'm double posting because I have an idea and I want to know if anyone else has this idea.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/blog/filtering-maple-syrup/#:~:text=Use%20a%20candy%20thermometer%2C%20if,need%20to%20be%20re%2Dfiltered.
[quote]if the syrup cools below 180°F, it will be too thick to be filtered and will need to be reheated. Maple syrup that has been heated above 200°F will release more sugar sand and will need to be re-filtered.

https://www.amazon.ca/KleenWater-Temperature-Filters-Inhibitor-Maximum/dp/B00M8AA1BI
High Temperature Water Filter Cartridge - maximum temperature 180 degrees Fahrenheit

At $225 CAD this https://www.amazon.ca/KleenWater-Mounting-Bracket-Cartridges-Inhibitor/dp/B00LPNWYHI is an expensive filter. But the smallest CDL vaccum filter is $679.00 https://webstore.cdlinc.ca/en/9-vacuum-filter-press-accessories. The price is comparable to single filter gravity filtration tank. https://webstore.cdlinc.ca/en/mini-filter-tank-5-gal-imp Has anyone else noticed this? I wish there were a Project Farm but just for maple syrup.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DreadLlama posted:

I'm double posting because I have an idea and I want to know if anyone else has this idea.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/blog/filtering-maple-syrup/#:~:text=Use%20a%20candy%20thermometer%2C%20if,need%20to%20be%20re%2Dfiltered.
[quote]if the syrup cools below 180°F, it will be too thick to be filtered and will need to be reheated. Maple syrup that has been heated above 200°F will release more sugar sand and will need to be re-filtered.

https://www.amazon.ca/KleenWater-Temperature-Filters-Inhibitor-Maximum/dp/B00M8AA1BI
High Temperature Water Filter Cartridge - maximum temperature 180 degrees Fahrenheit

At $225 CAD this https://www.amazon.ca/KleenWater-Mounting-Bracket-Cartridges-Inhibitor/dp/B00LPNWYHI is an expensive filter. But the smallest CDL vaccum filter is $679.00 https://webstore.cdlinc.ca/en/9-vacuum-filter-press-accessories. The price is comparable to single filter gravity filtration tank. https://webstore.cdlinc.ca/en/mini-filter-tank-5-gal-imp Has anyone else noticed this? I wish there were a Project Farm but just for maple syrup.

I'm going to try a DIY double stock pot vacuum filter next year, they seem relatively simple to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCi-aqf-TiA

My last batch, I didn't filter at all, I just put about 15 liters in a covered stock pot and left it for 3 days to let the sediment settle. Used a scoop to put it in a clean pot, heated that stuff up to 190 and jarred it. Scooped the rest of the useable stuff into our house syrup and lost maybe 100ml with the sludge.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

DreadLlama posted:

Did you put butter in or...? That couldn't just work by leaving it in your finishing pan, could it? Is that what you did? Dude.
I haven't actually done this but I am planning on just adding decarbed oil to boiling sugar right before it's poured into molds; I don't see any need/advantage for a carrier oil?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I know it's not the season but I'm knee deep in a DIY moneypit and found that CDL now sells a micro RO unit.

https://webstore.cdlinc.ca/en/hobby-reverse-osmosis-2membrane-micro-ro

You can build something comparable from parts on amazon, but some of the guides on youtube recommend a brass needle valve, which is not explicitly guaranteed lead-free. The CDL unit probably uses only potable water rated plumbing fittings.

It's not too late to start your own DIY project before fun season starts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BOO2L1RD2s
Just be careful of brass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass#Lead_content posted:

To enhance the machinability of brass, lead is often added in concentrations of around 2%. Since lead has a lower melting point than the other constituents of the brass, it tends to migrate towards the grain boundaries in the form of globules as it cools from casting. The pattern the globules form on the surface of the brass increases the available lead surface area which in turn affects the degree of leaching. In addition, cutting operations can smear the lead globules over the surface. These effects can lead to significant lead leaching from brasses of comparatively low lead content.[12]

In October 1999 the California State Attorney General sued 13 key manufacturers and distributors over lead content. In laboratory tests, state researchers found the average brass key, new or old, exceeded the California Proposition 65 limits by an average factor of 19, assuming handling twice a day.[13] In April 2001 manufacturers agreed to reduce lead content to 1.5%, or face a requirement to warn consumers about lead content. Keys plated with other metals are not affected by the settlement, and may continue to use brass alloys with higher percentage of lead content.[14][15]

Also in California, lead-free materials must be used for "each component that comes into contact with the wetted surface of pipes and pipe fittings, plumbing fittings and fixtures." On January 1, 2010, the maximum amount of lead in "lead-free brass" in California was reduced from 4% to 0.25% lead.[16][17]

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

DreadLlama posted:

I know it's not the season but I'm knee deep in a DIY moneypit and found that CDL now sells a micro RO unit.

this company makes relatively inexpensive products aimed specifically at syrup; their higher end model costs around what that CDL does: https://www.therobucket.com/product-category/ro-buckets/

I think they claim like a 50% plus reduction in boil time. I know that one of the bigger local places here has a system that cuts the boil time by a factor of 7.

I don't think it's going to happen this year, but hopefully for the next.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I bought 120 taps last week. My wife is due 3/29 and she sorta rolled her eyes at me, but, The Sap Must Flow.

Anyone tapped in yet?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I haven't. But I started using tubes for the first time last year and, I have a question for you tube people. How do you clean your tubes? I found black mold.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DreadLlama posted:

I haven't. But I started using tubes for the first time last year and, I have a question for you tube people. How do you clean your tubes? I found black mold.

Drop tubes? Had the same problem a bit last year, I cut the spouts off and scrubbed them with a gun cleaning rod with a bleach dilute soaked soft tip, I think .308. Triple rinse/dry, new spouts and they were good to go

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I want to try my hand at sugaring this year, as a born and bred Vermonter I feel like I'm denying my heritage to not do SOMETHING.

It'll just be a very small boil, I have only one maple tree on my property, though it's a big one, about 3' diameter.

HOWEVER, it is a silver maple...can I get syrup from that? My cursory research shows yes, but basically it's a smaller sugar content than a black or sugar maple, and it has a shorter season to get good sap, so I'd be hard pressed to get much syrup after it's all collected and boiled.

Wondering if it's worth the time and effort?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I say go for it. Everyone starts out with one tap. Sometimes they add their second tap in 4 seconds. Sometimes in 4 years. You'll get less syrup for a given volume of sap than if you'd had sugar maple. But you don't have that and have nothing to compare to. So it'll seem like a good amount anyway.

edit: And I mean like a third of the way down a 80m length of 3/8 tubing. I don't have any brushes that long and if I have to take the tube down I'm going to install a new one. I see some other people leave their tube up during the off season. How do they clean mainlines?

edit edit: Cursory googling indicates that concentrated hydrogen peroxide is the answer. I should have rinsed my tube with hydrogen peroxide last spring.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 26, 2021

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

DreadLlama posted:

And I mean like a third of the way down a 80m length of 3/8 tubing. I don't have any brushes that long and if I have to take the tube down I'm going to install a new one. I see some other people leave their tube up during the off season. How do they clean mainlines?

Use a vacuum to suck a string all the way through, then pull a brush behind, then follow with sanitizer.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

DrBouvenstein posted:

I want to try my hand at sugaring this year, as a born and bred Vermonter I feel like I'm denying my heritage to not do SOMETHING.

It'll just be a very small boil, I have only one maple tree on my property, though it's a big one, about 3' diameter.

HOWEVER, it is a silver maple...can I get syrup from that? My cursory research shows yes, but basically it's a smaller sugar content than a black or sugar maple, and it has a shorter season to get good sap, so I'd be hard pressed to get much syrup after it's all collected and boiled.

Wondering if it's worth the time and effort?

It's been awhile, but if I recall the UVM Extension used to have some pretty good resources.

Also, hello fellow Vermonter! :wave:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Use a vacuum to suck a string all the way through, then pull a brush behind, then follow with sanitizer.

Oh my god that's genius. Thank you sir.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I bought 120 taps last week. My wife is due 3/29 and she sorta rolled her eyes at me, but, The Sap Must Flow.

Anyone tapped in yet?

I switched jobs around the end of the year, and where I am now does sugaring, so I’m excited to get back into it.

We tapped our 3/16” gravity line a couple weeks ago before the snow really accumulated. About 800 taps I think it was. Haven’t touched the vacuum lines yet.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJLchfHOOj0

It's got a 5 micron filter and a 1 micron filter and two 75gallon-per-day membranes in series. It's got dual flowmeters, it's solar powered, the waste product is drinking water, and the knot holes are filled in with phosphorescent powder so it glows in the dark.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

DreadLlama posted:

Someone here told me UVM did a study comparing cleaning lines at all, to not, and found no quality or purity difference. The second year I blasted my lines out with a hose. Last year I didn't, but at the end of the season I was a lot quicker to pull taps out and cut them.

All sap is going to have bacteria and weird poo poo in it, that's why it spoils in the sun. Once it's boiled and filtered it's fine.

Some people use dilute h2o2 and I've heard of bleach; I don't like using chemicals if I can avoid it. If I see obvious nastiness in a T or a while line, I cut it out and replace it, but a couple little mold spots doesn't faze me much, if I go look at any of the huge operations around here long enough I'll find mold spots in their lines.

Relevant: http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?29538-mold-in-a-few-drops

We'll see how much I need to replace... Planning on tapping this weekend. This might be the last year on these lines, I want to go to 3/16"

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Feb 18, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Well, I got about 40% of my taps in. Not the 100 I was going for, but, calendar looks like I still have clock.

Most of my loops looked like this, no nastiness. I found a few places where I hosed up and just did not pull taps last year at all :smith: -- pulled them, and some of those tap lines did look nasty and black/brown so I spent some time yesterday rerunning a line and putting in new taps. I also cut some pretty nasty sections of another line out.

poo poo is deep, but I was smart enough to get out on snowshoes earlier this year and maybe avoid some ladder work later.

John Darnielle posted:

Some things you'll do for money
And some for fun
But the things you do for love
Are gonna come back to you, one by one

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Chasing vacuum leaks and wishing I had worn snowshoes.

Gath
Sep 23, 2009

Cabbages and Kings posted:

this company makes relatively inexpensive products aimed specifically at syrup; their higher end model costs around what that CDL does: https://www.therobucket.com/product-category/ro-buckets/

I think they claim like a 50% plus reduction in boil time. I know that one of the bigger local places here has a system that cuts the boil time by a factor of 7.

I don't think it's going to happen this year, but hopefully for the next.

Popping in to say i have this system. I also upgraded this year to r20(?)

This will reduce to about 1/3 of what you deal with. I have 1% here and can reduce 36 gal to 12 gal (4%) in one go thru, i can reduce again with a second go thru (8%), but its slower.

This is a requirement down in WV. Otherwise i would be chained to evaporator. The autoshutoff is nice accessory if you want to walk away too.

This season was better than last. Im 13 gals this year compared to 12 last year. Still burning one last run today too.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Chasing vacuum leaks and wishing I had worn snowshoes.

I have snowshoes because my wife saw two pairs at a swapmeet thing for $15 each two years ago and thought it was a good deal. Boy did that come in handy this year. Tapping when the snow is deeper also kept me from needing a ladder for basically any of my drops.

Gath posted:

This season was better than last. Im 13 gals this year compared to 12 last year. Still burning one last run today too.

Nice! And nice vote of confidence on that RO, I am gonna see if I can budget for that for next season.

gently caress the utility belt, long live the toolbox.

Getting some drips out, but it looked like only a couple gallons of sap in the first 24hrs after getting almost all ~100 taps in. We still have feet of snow on the ground, but next week we're going to have some 30s/40s flip days with sun, so I am hoping stuff opens up.

The diameter here turned out to be perfect so I blasted hose water through everything from the bottom of the drops :shrug:

I am not at all a neat freak, clearly, but I do go balls to the wall on tank cleaning day because it's the cleanest it will be all year and I don't want a starting point of a 1/8" buildup of minerals and bacterial debris, so I take that poo poo down to shiny silver like Bender's shiny metal rear end.

So.... all tapped in, now just have to sit back and see if the sap gets here before Baby Tim Raines IRL #2 shows up to do questionable things to the free time that exists in my life now

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
That is a shiny tank! Good luck. My weather has been warm nights with warm days and cold nights with cold days. The only sap I have like is 3 gallons from February frozen solid in the shade while I wait for enough for a full batch. A 24oz mason jar of syrup needs just about 6 gallons of sap and I'm trying to do only full jars this year. Sadly the only thing I've gotten to test my fancy RO thing on is just well water.

Different subject: Has anyone got a source for tree seeds online? https://www.treeshrubseeds.com/specieslist?id=1018&ID2=1 My normal guy is out of stock. I want to buy like 5lbs of maple seed.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

No idea where to get seeds, "they grow on trees here" har har.

I'm in the same boat with a couplefew gallons of frozen, but, it also pushed whatever nasty BS was in my lines out along with it, so I am going to bust it up and pour hot water through tomorrow.

It looks like we should definitely get a run this week; we'll also have two days that hit 50, so, there's some chance that just kicks of budding and we get Shortest Season Ever but I can't control this any more than I can control what's going on with the 8.25 month old fetus in my wife's belly.

Nature gonna nature, that's my Spring 2020. If the baby comes BEFORE the sap does, I'm gonna have a problem.
"Why isn't Tim in any of these pictures of his newborn???!?"
"Oh, you know, it's sugar season there"
:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I had maybe 10gal out there between 11am and 4pm, so it's opening up, but maddeningly it's not going to freeze again until Friday night, looks like, then just stays frozen throughout the day

It's certainly possible it just keeps dribbling all night and then opens up more in the sunshine tomorrow. The tanks is still standing in snow, trees show pitting in snow almost to soil now, but everything out there is still under, I dunno, a foot plus of snow and ice.

:shrug:

It will be whatever it is.