Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Oooh, I thought I was the only person who was interested in urban hiking. I got into the habit because of my insomnia, actually - I started going for longer and longer walks because there's something magical about cities in the wee small hours and you might as well enjoy the night if you can't sleep through it.

I've had a lingering desire for years now to walk across London west to east, following the flow of the Thames. Calling the boundary at the M25 on either side, that's a distance of about 60km as the crow flies, but ideally I'd like to follow the Thames itself which adds at least 10-20 km. So definitely a three to four day trip minimum, especially since the idea is to take it fairly easy and stop off at anything interesting I find on the way. The idea of spending up to even a week just meandering through the city with the river is really appealing. My goal is to do a continuous journey and stay at b&bs etc. so it would be mostly daytime walking (although the temptation to jump on the tube home in the evenings is probably gonna be overwhelming.)

What I'd really really really love to do is walk the whole Thames from Thames Head to the North Sea but it's like 345km long so that's a bit of a commitment.

small ghost fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

learnincurve posted:

I live down the road from where two railway lines used to connect (and were then abandoned after the beeching report) and we walk along the old lines, which at points are linked into the chesterfield and Worksop canal paths so you could probably even walk to Liverpool or London from here with absolute minimal car interference.

if there is interest I can start taking a Good Camera with us and post points of interest like old platforms and where they had to build the M1 over a railway line and ancient wood because it was still a working line at the time. You can see from the green lines on the map where they run from poolsbrook to rother valley and then Staveley to creswell. Staveley was The Big station and one of it’s lines survived as a seperate heavy goods line and connects into the Chesterfield to Nottingham mainline.

Abandoned railway lines are cool.

Definitely take some pics, I love abandoned railways