Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I live down the road from where two railway lines used to connect (and were then abandoned after the beeching report) and we walk along the old lines, which at points are linked into the chesterfield and Worksop canal paths so you could probably even walk to Liverpool or London from here with absolute minimal car interference.

if there is interest I can start taking a Good Camera with us and post points of interest like old platforms and where they had to build the M1 over a railway line and ancient wood because it was still a working line at the time. You can see from the green lines on the map where they run from poolsbrook to rother valley and then Staveley to creswell. Staveley was The Big station and one of it’s lines survived as a seperate heavy goods line and connects into the Chesterfield to Nottingham mainline.

Abandoned railway lines are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There is always more to see and find as well, like today I looked over and saw there was a ridge which had been dynamite blasted which was totally overgrown, and that it was over a tunnel, so there must have been a second line running parallel to the main line but with nothing but a 40 foot drop either side. The road that it went over had been reclaimed by farm land as well, and at that point my kids were looking at me funny as I was blathering on about how this must have been how all the Roman stuff disappeared as well and isn’t this all amazing

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I made effort. Now, this is actually a rather dull section of track but what made it worth doing this is that this entire stretch may be converted into a HS2 maintenance line and lost to walkers so I thought I’d get all the points of interest while they still exist.

This is Arkwright, built on the site of Arkwright Colliery, this line went from Staveley to Bolsover and our starting point.

Location of main passenger platform

This guy has a photo of what it looked like when in use

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29644579@N07/6013713021/sizes/l/

walk to the other side of what is now a field and there is a goods platform.

So we carry on up the track past various bridges and whatnot (this is me desperately trying not to photograph near identical bits of line)

there are a few of these, I think there may have been water towers next to them and they are there so the engineer can step down.

Surprising lack of overhead bridges on this section

Until we reach our end point and the big red trucks. I hope you have enjoyed this virtual tour, any other photo posts will be somewhat less nerdy but if it’s gone in a few years then it’s nice to have a record,

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
:)

Did you know they opened up the poolsbrook to creswell line and have been doing it up for 2 years? It’s honestly the prettiest section of abandoned railway there is and only locals really know it exists at the moment. Car park is in clowne, marked by the bad arrow, left at the set of traffic lights behind dominoes pizza basically, or you can get the 77 from chesterfield and walk round from Tesco’s

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Fellblade posted:

Keep on efforting, I am round this area all the time and didn't know half this cool stuff existed.

I found another cool thing for you. Manor lodge near manor top. It’s open twice in September for tours of the lodge and then shut down till March.

There is even cooler stuff in this album

Manor lodge front by learnin curve, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/learnincurve/albums/72157715769762556/with/50285001863/