Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Chokes McGee posted:

please see a therapist

Zeroisanumber posted:

Time to find a therapist.

Chokes McGee posted:

please see a therapist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Former DILF posted:

helps whom? is misery to cease when I am sated? will the world turn less cruelly when I want for little and settle for less still?

Can't answer for you. Everyone's outcome is different. But it's pretty obvious that you're in some pain and are tryin to reach out in this thread.

I can point it out and tell you to go get yourself some help. But only you can take the next step.

Open a new tab and just type in "therapists in [your area code]" and then maybe give one of them who looks good a call tomorrow?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I still believe there's more to gain from the inviolability of never having needed therapy than from what you can attain with it. I personally can detect this stain even when the therapized does not reveal themselves as having been recipients thereof. There's a kind of therapy rhetoric that's just as easily discerned as that of Dittoheads and trump-radicalized pseudofascists. It's another facet in people that can be exploited.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
You're either trolling or telling people not to get therapy, neither of which belongs in this thread. Please stop.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Former DILF posted:

There's a kind of therapy rhetoric that's just as easily discerned as that of Dittoheads and trump-radicalized pseudofascists.

but enough about your posting

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dairy Days posted:

but enough about your posting

Shots fired

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i had a therapist tell me to read that PUA book and told me to hang out with a PUA guy

and the PUA guy was... her son

honestly trolling/unwell dude you won't even know how to properly dislike therapy until you get some horror stories under your belt

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Saved from depression by the incel community

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

oystertoadfish posted:

i had a therapist tell me to read that PUA book and told me to hang out with a PUA guy

honestly trolling/unwell dude you won't even know how to properly dislike therapy until you get some horror stories under your belt

One of mine kept recommending sham cures to me and being desperate I tried one. The woman she sent me to was into cranial sacro therapy and claimed to immediately know I was having leg issues which is awfully odd since the conversation about rls is what led to the recommendation

Vet your therapists and remember you're not married to them, you can get a new one if you want

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Honestly there's a special place in hell reserved for bad therapists they're exascerbating the problem at best and preying upon the super vulnerable at worst

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
One therapist wanted to send me to some scam out patient rehab that she coincidentally owned. From my experience any rehab that is 100% out patient is just a monetized version of a AA

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

oystertoadfish posted:

This is a good time to mention that you should fire the gently caress out of your therapist when they pull poo poo like this.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I suppose I am advocating against therapy. As was set in the rules I cannot but acquiesce. I proudly bear any turbulence thereof and accept contratuitivity in this ideological feifdom.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

therapist horror stories:

well i've always had decent therapists, but my psychiatrists are fuckin nuts

first was the coptic christian guy from egypt who told me i wasnt actually depressed and that i just needed to get laid. "cmon you're pretty good looking, i bet you just need a partner and you'll be fine" it was then i pointed out to him my uh complaints and the fact that i was being seen to treat PTSD from sexual assault. He tried to convert me to christianity 3 different times as well. "just say this prayer with me"

then there was the evil chud physichiatrist who wrote a book psycho-analyzing Barack Obama from her point of view and tried to sell it to me during a session. She also called me a pussy several times for being unable to fully cope with my ptsd.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
My first guy told me that my rage issues could be cleared up by joining an MMA gym and punching people.

Seeing as one of my problems was, "I can't stand the violence that I've done" that might have been an early sign that our therapeutic relationship wasn't going to fly.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I was shopping around for a new therapist since my current one (who I adore) has a problem fitting me into her schedule and tried a private practice nearby

within the first 5 minutes she told me how much suicide makes her angry

I want you to keep in mind this is after I gave her the background on my attempt

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
"hilariously bad therapist stories" could be a solid thread in and of itself lol

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
i'm gonna be straight with you cspam, I don't think it's psychologically healthy to constantly consume information about and read the words of people you hate

I also don't think it's good to be convinced you're in the bad timeline or the hell world or actual hell, I just don't think that's a way to keep yourself sane

One of my therapists growing up was convinced I didn't have any friends because I deliberately did things to not fit in, and tried to get me to read books about Christianity, even though I told him I was an atheist. He also had a hard time dealing with my stance of not standing for the pledge

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
being in a psych ward fuckin rules. i stayed once for 4 weeks and have lots of good things to say. dont be afraid of it if you need to go.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grondoth posted:

i'm gonna be straight with you cspam, I don't think it's psychologically healthy to constantly consume information about and read the words of people you hate

I also don't think it's good to be convinced you're in the bad timeline or the hell world or actual hell, I just don't think that's a way to keep yourself sane

reading cspam is unironically keeping me grounded and sane, as a reminder that i'm not a raving lunatic who thinks the world is ending and we are all gonna die. goons................................thank you

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

being in a psych ward fuckin rules. i stayed once for 4 weeks and have lots of good things to say. dont be afraid of it if you need to go.

Yeah, I was involuntarily committed to a county one for two weeks and was surprised that is was pretty decent. This is obviously anecdotal but all the staff actually cared and wanted to help. They also really helped finding resources for me once I got out.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

contrary to what goons think, "get therapy" is not a silver bullet for every emotional problem one might come across. you're only going to get out of it as much as you put in

what has helped immensely for me is not using twitter and not reading my facebook newsfeed. i only use fb for jokes, shitposts, and sharing dog pics. the people who use fb the most just post stuff that makes them angry and end up spreading the rage virus further. i don't need that in my life. i know what i like and don't like, i'm aware of the news, and my opinions line up with those friends anyway. do your own thing online, being yourself is empowering and it feels good

instagram helps me relax too, seeing as i mostly follow dog accounts

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

Yeah, I was involuntarily committed to a county one for two weeks and was surprised that is was pretty decent. This is obviously anecdotal but all the staff actually cared and wanted to help. They also really helped finding resources for me once I got out.

it CAN be a mixed bag, but the idea of mental hospitals as horrible asylums full of lunatics fell by the way side along time ago. nowadays you only see that sort of thing in cspam

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

get that OUT of my face posted:

contrary to what goons think, "get therapy" is not a silver bullet for every emotional problem one might come across. you're only going to get out of it as much as you put in

what has helped immensely for me is not using twitter and not reading my facebook newsfeed. i only use fb for jokes, shitposts, and sharing dog pics. the people who use fb the most just post stuff that makes them angry and end up spreading the rage virus further. i don't need that in my life. i know what i like and don't like, i'm aware of the news, and my opinions line up with those friends anyway. do your own thing online, being yourself is empowering and it feels good

emergency puppy and emergency kitten are godsends

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
the ward i was in was part of a university hospital, it had a gym, menus for every meal (+plus after hours cold meals) several tv rooms, lots of groups during the day to stay busy, and everyone is extremely nice and helpful. if you need a pen or a plastic knife, they are happy to help

e: i had no insurance. its probably only a matter of location at that point.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

This is good advice, and "get therapy" might actually lead to the same outcome when you talk about how you've been reading all this terrible news and you don't think that life's worth living anymore. They might say "hey... don't do that anymore, see how you feel then"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Grondoth posted:

This is good advice, and "get therapy" might actually lead to the same outcome when you talk about how you've been reading all this terrible news and you don't think that life's worth living anymore. They might say "hey... don't do that anymore, see how you feel then"

This is absolutely not going to happen unless you draw a therapist that's absolute poo poo. The job of therapy is to help you process things in a safe environment and give you coping mechanisms and strategies for day to day life. At no point should there be a "doctor it hurts when I do this" moment.

Chokes McGee has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Feb 11, 2019

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also if you tell a therapist you don't know how you can live in this world anymore that is a five alarm fire and they should never reply with "well stop reading the news" or they should literally be sued into oblivion for malpractice

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I got real into Twitter shitposting a while back. I was as stable as I've ever been at that point and it really hosed with me. I realized every time I checked Twitter I'd start grinding my teeth and getting real stressed. Social media is designed to drive you insane

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Always Quit Social Media Platforms

and a huge part of the therapy thing is that it mostly sucks, that's one of the things the real depression cognoscenti understand. mentally well smooth-brains are the ones who think therapists are magic

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 06:02 on Feb 11, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

oystertoadfish posted:

Always Quit Social Media Platforms

and a huge part of the therapy thing is that it mostly sucks, that's one of the things the real depression cognoscenti understand. mentally well smooth-brains are the ones who think therapists are magic

Yeah. A lot of times you feel way better afterwards but at the time it's going on, woof

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

also ive had to fight with myself to go to therapy every single week for the last 10 years, every single time i dont wanna go. I win out 90% of the time and go tho!

its almost always worth it

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zyla posted:

also ive had to fight with myself to go to therapy every single week for the last 10 years, every single time i dont wanna go. I win out 90% of the time and go tho!

its almost always worth it

:unsmith:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm having a real rough mental health week and almost exclusively reading this thread and letting my own thread go to poo poo. Y'all are helping though

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

don't gently caress up the therapy thread you fuckin' weirdo

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

This is absolutely not going to happen unless you draw a therapist that's absolute poo poo. The job of therapy is to help you process things in a safe environment and give you coping mechanisms and strategies for day to day life. At no point should there be a "doctor it hurts when I do this" moment.

Yes, I apologize, that was a flippant comment in a thread that's specifically not supposed to be like that.

I do think it can be very psychologically healthy to step back, especially from social media platforms that are designed to make you "engage" even if that's you being very angry and sad all the time. Facebook tries to get me to come back by reminding me that my racist uncle who's the reason I left is posting, because I kept arguing with him. Everyone knows how all this poo poo works by now, but in the era of Trump twitter it's important to keep in mind that as far as companies are concerned, laboriously explaining to your uncle's racist friends about how asylum works is just as pleasurable an experience as trading cooking tips with your friends in other countries.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I've been thinking about getting a therapist for a while and this is giving me the nudge I needed. How does one go about finding one?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I've been thinking about getting a therapist for a while and this is giving me the nudge I needed. How does one go about finding one?

i can help you if you wanna pm me a general area you're at, but pretty much just google "i need a therapist"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Zyla posted:

i can help you if you wanna pm me a general area you're at, but pretty much just google "i need a therapist"

OK, I was more thinking about insurance and networks and stuff. I'll take a swing at it. Thanks.