Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I've been thinking about getting a therapist for a while and this is giving me the nudge I needed. How does one go about finding one?

If you're in the US and have insurance your provider will often have a site that helps you find therapists in your network. If not youll have to google "therapists in <city>" and hoping to find one that takes your insurance or works on a sliding scale

If you're seeking therapy about LGBT issues some larger cities have centers devoted to that which usually offer sliding scales.

It can be a giant hassle to deal with but it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

I went to a therapist for a few months after my friend's suicide.
If I hadn't of gone, I don't know what I would have done.

Anyway, I was on pretty heavy doses of zoloft, trazodone, and olanzapine for a while.
and xanax for a bit. turns out that poo poo is addicting lol. luckily i don't get constant panic attacks anymore so i don't need it.

i might go back on the antidepressants though. i got hit with some pretty poo poo life events recently that have brought a lot of the depression back.

quitting facebook was extremely good for my mental health awhile back. and i don't follow anyone i know personally on twitter or instagram. just comedians and sports pundits.
social media is brain poison.

anyway, hope all you goons are hanging in there.
stay positive and never feel ashamed to ask for help :)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My depression was bizarrely (or maybe not so bizarrely) "cured" by opiate addiction, or at least some of the experiences resulting from it. The addiction started because of the depression, and after many years and various events, I ended up heavily addicted to this hell substance called tianeptine for 2.5 years (my initial addiction was to other opioids). It was hell to an extent words cannot describe. I really can't overstate this. Every waking moment, without respite, I felt terrible. Woke up every morning with the absolute knowledge that the day would be just as devoid of the smallest amount of pleasure as every other day, and that's not getting into the stress from other aspects of the addiction.

In October 2017 I managed to get back on Suboxone, which I was on prior to the tianeptine. The only reason it took so long for me to return to the suboxone was that it was virtually impossible to transition without precipitated withdrawals. I finally ended up biting the bullet and dealing with it.

Since then, simply being able to sleep a full 8 hours, exist without physical suffering, and enjoy things like movies or games...it is impossible to describe the relief. It has been about 15-16 months now and I still feel relieved every day. I feel just perpetually "satisfied," for lack of a better word. I remember the constant anxiety and inability to enjoy things from when I was depressed prior to and during the addiction, and it's just gone now. I don't know if I'll ever be able to come off the suboxone; it's very difficult for a ~10 year addiction like mine. But at least I can enjoy things and be healthy. Many people don't even get that much.

Part of me is waiting for the other boot to drop. Every time I receive my suboxone prescription I know I'm guaranteed another month of normal life. And rationally I know that even if something happened to my doctor, I would be able to find someone else. But it's still scary knowing my well being is tied to the prescription.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I am losing feeling on the right side of my body and I can't see a doctor I can afford for 3 weeks.

I am raging out and lashing out at everyone and it sucks.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bert Roberge posted:

I am losing feeling on the right side of my body

I've never heard of that phenomenon, it sounds terrifying, like a psychosomatic stroke

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

How do you find a therapist that's a Marxist

animist
Aug 28, 2018
posting from outpatient psych ward

about to get kicked out because my insurance decided i've had enough treatment, my brain is fully good now lmao

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Filthy Hans posted:

I've never heard of that phenomenon, it sounds terrifying, like a psychosomatic stroke

I can't feel like the right 10% of my body but it can still feel cold. It's so loving weird.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
iv struggled with thoughts about self harm for years but with no motivation to act on it due to be terrified of the consequences. like it's hard to express whats its like to get thoughts of "What would happen if I just threw myself off this high balcony" and then being scared of those very thoughts. I wouldn't describe my self as suicidal, or even self harming (like as before I haven't acted on it). unfortunately posting online anonymously is the only way i can talk about it because if i tried getting help it would p much destroy my life.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

crazy cloud posted:

david spade ]: i liked this hot take better the last time i heard it , when it was called pearl jamthe first noble truth

twoday
May 4, 2005

My own personal bullshit:

I'm mostly fine, but constantly stressed by work and financial issues, deadlines, money troubles.

A series of failed relationships and health problems made me pretty depressed a few years back. I tried therapy, which didn't really accomplish much. However, there is one lesson I did take away, which was advice that was given to me by a therapist: to prioritize creative endeavors more. It took me some time to adjust my life to it, but I now make sure to find time to make artwork or music, or elaborate cooking, or whatever I feel like doing that week.

I can not overstate how positive an impact this has had on my life. It has helped me express and understand myself, it has made me feel like I'm making good use of my life and accomplishing things. And it also helps me to clear out stress and emotions and the various cobwebs that accumulate in my brain. I have always been on the creative side, as are many of you, but before I didn't try as actively to facilitate and cultivate my own creativity, and at some point I started to view it as a necessity. In creating, I also build up myself, by figuring out who I am.

Overall it has given me some breathing room and energy and motivation, and that has helped me climb out of the depression I was in, and that in turn allowed me to focus on my physical health, which has improved significantly. I still have a ways to go before I become the ideal person I want to be, but I'm heading in that direction again and I hope all of you are too. And if you're not, I hope that we can help you do that, or point you in the direction of someone else who can. Hang in there, C-SPAM.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

iv struggled with thoughts about self harm for years but with no motivation to act on it due to be terrified of the consequences. like it's hard to express whats its like to get thoughts of "What would happen if I just threw myself off this high balcony" and then being scared of those very thoughts. I wouldn't describe my self as suicidal, or even self harming (like as before I haven't acted on it). unfortunately posting online anonymously is the only way i can talk about it because if i tried getting help it would p much destroy my life.

That is more common than you might think:

https://allthatsinteresting.com/call-of-the-void

If you can't get help elsewhere, it's better to post online than not at all, I guess. Why do you think trying to get help would destroy your life?

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Venom Snake posted:

This sounds a *lot* like OCD, which is what I've got. See: Harm OCD. Do you have any actions you take to "ward off" the thoughts / prevent harm? If you do, that's textbook OCD; if you don't, you might have pure OCD, which is obsessive/intrusive thoughts without outward compulsions.

Of course there's a number of other disorders where intrusive thoughts could be a problem, I'm not a psychiatrist.

There's a great book called The Imp of the Mind (libgen) on the topic of intrusive thoughts, very short, highly recommend giving it a read.

FYI, "if i tried getting help it would p much destroy my life" is a very common intrusive thought; there are plenty of doctors and therapists that will help you work through the thoughts without hospitalizing you. Unfortunately they can be a little hard to find :/

animist has issued a correction as of 17:04 on Feb 11, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I've been thinking about getting a therapist for a while and this is giving me the nudge I needed. How does one go about finding one?

psychologytoday.com has a search engine I've had a lot of luck with. call ahead of time and make sure they take your insurance, out of network is a pain in the rear end.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Victory Position posted:

don't gently caress up the therapy thread you fuckin' weirdo

sorry. sorry I'm trying to delete it

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twoday posted:

If you can't get help elsewhere, it's better to post online than not at all, I guess. Why do you think trying to get help would destroy your life?

also suicidal ideation is extremely common with various mental illnesses. You should definitely do something because it's not good, but as long as you're not making concrete plans, it can be addressed through normal means. plus, people have dark thoughts every day. sometimes we're aware of them, sometimes not. it doesn't mean we'll act on them

now if you start going "OK today's the day I throw myself off the balcony" It's hospital time

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Salvor_Hardin posted:

if you have health insurance your provider can help you find one, it's not necessarily the best way to handle things but it is viable to just give your provider a call and ask them to find you 5 candidates who are in your area who are in-network and let them handle the legwork

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

net work error posted:

seize the means of med production comrade

twoday
May 4, 2005

net work error posted:

New thread title

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

net work error posted:

Make subversive comments against the USSR government in the 60s or 70s while in the USSR?

Venom Snake posted:

This sucks OP, that you are unable to get help for whatever reason. This probably doesn't help at all but I can't stress enough that selfharm is loving lame and I really hope you do continue to not have the effort to do it. I did it regularly from about 15 until 27 with just a couple gaps and then relapsed at 30 because of a lovely job. I use relapse intentionally because it really is like an addiction to some extent, stopping was loving hard and I'd get real agitated physically and mentally for a while after. But more than that, when it gets warm in summer and I can't wear a jumper I have to endure all those fun odd looks from total strangers who are totally judging you. Deffo not worth it.

But yeah, ideally you should be able to reach out over that suicidal ideation because it's just deeply unpleasant having to deal with.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twoday posted:

New thread title

if I could change it/fit it in I would

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

twoday posted:

its possible that venom snake has a security clearance.

one incredibly lovely aspect of working for the government on secret stuff is that its possible to lose your clearance by getting help for mental conditions.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Bert Roberge posted:

I am losing feeling on the right side of my body and I can't see a doctor I can afford for 3 weeks.

I am raging out and lashing out at everyone and it sucks.

Have you been on any psych meds long term? Some of them have neurological damage symptoms like dyskinesia (compulsion to move around) that only slowly present themselves after years, and are hard to reverse by the time it's clear you're one of the ones having them. I've been off any medication for a year now because I suspected that and I'm still trying to learn more about it. Probably not the answer for you but I'm curious if you've thought of medication as a factor.

Zyla posted:

one incredibly lovely aspect of working for the government on secret stuff is that its possible to lose your clearance by getting help for mental conditions.

Wow, and these geniuses enforce that rather than provide therapists who also have a clearance? So everyone trusted with privileged information is necessarily hiding issues and more vulnerable than average? Great system

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Feb 11, 2019

twoday
May 4, 2005

There are some online services now like talkspace and 7cups that try to provide online therapy. Some of them (at least talkspace) claim to have professional therapists and counselors working for them, and things like 7 cups are anonymous. I have never used them and cannot endorse them, but that springs to kind when thinking of how to get counseling on the DL.

Does anyone know more about these?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

twoday posted:

ten years ago while alone in the middle of the night on the aft deck of a cruise ship...very real (no history of SI, tho that incident stayed w/ me until learning it was fairly common)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twoday posted:

There are some online services now like talkspace and 7cups that try to provide online therapy. Some of them (at least talkspace) claim to have professional therapists and counselors working for them, and things like 7 cups are anonymous. I have never used them and cannot endorse them, but that springs to kind when thinking of how to get counseling on the DL.

Does anyone know more about these?

I've heard things about talkspace. neither good nor bad, just things

it's worth a shot at least once but MAKE SURE they're bound by HIPAA and that you can see the same therapist on the reg. establishing trust/history takes a while with most therapists, it's a huge pain in the rear end and can't be handled in just like three sessions with the different people

even if it's one off it might still be really good during crises

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mariana Horchata posted:

ten years ago while alone in the middle of the night on the aft deck of a cruise ship...very real (no history of SI, tho that incident stayed w/ me until learning it was fairly common)

someone I know has talked about the sea calling them and walking into the waves to join it, she's not the least bit suicidal and I suspect there's something deeply Freudian about it

or maybe she's a mermaid idk

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Chokes McGee posted:

someone I know has talked about the sea calling them and walking into the waves to join it, she's not the least bit suicidal and I suspect there's something deeply Freudian about it

or maybe she's a mermaid idk

it was the darkest abyss ive ever gazed into, and it wasn't the sea calling to me it was death

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mariana Horchata posted:

it was the darkest abyss ive ever gazed into, and it wasn't the sea calling to me it was death

oh

well

well there's that

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
true story: I started having visions of a woman in a black veil and piercings offering her hand to me two days before my attempt. I disclosed that to my therapist the next day but I should've gone to the hospital right then and there and have no idea why I didn't

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

net work error posted:

One of the reasons I don't want therapy is that if my therapist turned out to be some chud I'd forget the self help and just try to convince him to self-harm.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

whoops skipped therapy today because i was too tired

i booked a fancy massage for tomorrow so hopefully that will help

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Zyla posted:

they're walking that policy back now

still have to disclose that you've sought treatment and they'll probably pull your records, but it's not completely disqualifying any more

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

finding a therapist is similar to the worst parts of dating, sadly. any therapist who isn't horrifically unprofessional will be well aware of that and will not be bothered if you tell them they just aren't clicking with you, and they can hopefully give you references

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

twoday posted:

Because Iv been in college to long, I need to graduate. Between taking time off for a severe depression/other medical stuff related withdrawal for some time and working on the 2016 campaign it feels like I'm behind. On some level I know those experiences were valuable and worth taking a year off college, but I still am afraid discussing how deep some of my mental health stuff goes would take me back outa college.

My parents are also really old, I want to graduate and start working, makes me feel bad they have supported me for so long even if they don't mind.

EDIT: The call of the void thing, that's what it's called I think. I knew there was a name for it. "The denial of the call is the affirmation of the will to live".

Venom Snake has issued a correction as of 23:17 on Feb 11, 2019

twoday
May 4, 2005

What are the chances that not getting help will interfere with your progress and delay you even further?

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
A lot of universities have subsidized general therapy clinics. They usually don't provide specialized or intensive treatment though

That said, if you feel like you need a break take it. The degree will be useless if you drive yourself to the edge to get it.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

twoday posted:

What are the chances that not getting help will interfere with your progress and delay you even further?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUTGr5t3MoY

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

twoday posted:

Therapy doesn't even take that much time, it's kind of a bad excuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Therapy doesn't even take that much time, it's kind of a bad excuse

I can see it, actually. There's A LOT of unpleasant emotions that can well up as a result of therapy, especially when you're dealing with established trauma, i.e. Childhood.

That being said you're probably better off with it than without it. I know for me, even though it was scary, seeing a therapist through my college is actually one of the reasons I was finally able to make it through.