Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Autism Sneaks posted:

:gas: this sub is cringe enough without a bad E/N thread

hey its my balls please eat them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i depress people when i sugar coat how awful my life is, i am worried that if i told them the truth they'd lock me up

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

yep i got two therapists actually :toot:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

gj

remember they can't force you to do anything unless you say the magic words "I want to kill myself" or "I want to kill someone else" in a clearly non-joking manner

so get that poo poo off ur chest

yeah i know how to play the game. i just often have the problem like mr burns and his many illnesses. Everything gets stuck in the door all trying to pile in at once.

it my poo poo:

i often forget to bring up really important poo poo because theres so much other poo poo going on i cant think of how to isolate it

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/SeanWithersDraw/status/1094533252499435520

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

my hot take is that depression is the natural state of humans, and the non-depressed are the abberations.

I would say that only a very small minority of people are actually clinically non-depressed and the rest are pretending they are

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Zyla posted:

my hot take is that depression is the natural state of humans, and the non-depressed are the abberations.

I would say that only a very small minority of people are actually clinically non-depressed and the rest are pretending they are

https://twitter.com/Chinchillazllla/status/1092689900103708672

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

therapist horror stories:

well i've always had decent therapists, but my psychiatrists are fuckin nuts

first was the coptic christian guy from egypt who told me i wasnt actually depressed and that i just needed to get laid. "cmon you're pretty good looking, i bet you just need a partner and you'll be fine" it was then i pointed out to him my uh complaints and the fact that i was being seen to treat PTSD from sexual assault. He tried to convert me to christianity 3 different times as well. "just say this prayer with me"

then there was the evil chud physichiatrist who wrote a book psycho-analyzing Barack Obama from her point of view and tried to sell it to me during a session. She also called me a pussy several times for being unable to fully cope with my ptsd.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

also ive had to fight with myself to go to therapy every single week for the last 10 years, every single time i dont wanna go. I win out 90% of the time and go tho!

its almost always worth it

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I've been thinking about getting a therapist for a while and this is giving me the nudge I needed. How does one go about finding one?

i can help you if you wanna pm me a general area you're at, but pretty much just google "i need a therapist"

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

twoday posted:

That is more common than you might think:

https://allthatsinteresting.com/call-of-the-void

If you can't get help elsewhere, it's better to post online than not at all, I guess. Why do you think trying to get help would destroy your life?

its possible that venom snake has a security clearance.

one incredibly lovely aspect of working for the government on secret stuff is that its possible to lose your clearance by getting help for mental conditions.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

whoops skipped therapy today because i was too tired

i booked a fancy massage for tomorrow so hopefully that will help

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

im havin a REAL poo poo TIME ATM

losing my poo poo and flipping out

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Dang it took a lot to chill blah

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

my dentist keeps telling me I'm grinding my teeth but if I gotta choose between wearing my teeth down to nubs or not being able to sleep cause I'm wearing a mouth guard I'm gonna choose sleep.

plus they want like $250 to make that poo poo because of course it's not covered by insurance.

wouldn't fix the underlying problem anyway, which is that I am physically incapable of Chill

once you get used to it you will sleep a lot better and have many fewer headaches

its worth it to try to push on thru

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

You may also be magnesium deficient which causes bruxism like nobody's business. Take vitamins and pound some chamomile tea and see what that does for your jaw. At the very least you'll be chemically chilled.

if you take magnesium supplements get the chelated version, they're bigger and maybe a bit pricier but they are absorbed a gently caress ton better by humans

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

sad post

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Third World Reagan posted:

Going back to what someone said earlier about feeling powerless.

I have come to accept that I am powerless over most situations and I feel like that could help.

I just keep in the back of my head, I don't need to help everybody. If I can just help a few in my life time, that is good enough.

Not really sure if that is the proper way of thinking of things but it has helped.

quick story:

girl's walking along the beach, after a big storm, and there's starfish everywhere washed up on the sands!! She starts tossing them back in the water one by one since they cant move too well.

smug dude comes up to her and says hey lady whachu doooin? dont you know you cant save em all! why bother?

girl looks at him with a smile and says

"well it matters to this one!" *tosses a star back in

"and this one!"

"and this one!"

"and this one!"

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

im still catching up on the thread but things ive noticed over the last few pages that merit comment:

1. : There's a huge difference between a psychiatrist and a therapist, and getting them confused or not understanding their roles is extremely damaging to your treatment plan!

A Therapist is someone, often a psychologist that will offer talk-based treatment through dialogue and teaching techniques and frameworks such as CBT and DBT, as well as life skills and coping mechanisms. They are often social workers or Psychology PHDS or such. they do not have any imput into the medication aspect of treatment. well maybe they help diagnose things but they have no power to write scripts. They are treating the software, your skills and thought processes that you can control.
A Psychiatrist is a doctor or nurse practitioner that is empowered to give you medications. THEY DO NOT GIVE YOU THERAPY. They are there to treat the hardware. The brain chemistry, the symptoms and the uncontrollable poo poo.

Imo for a sucessful plan you need to have both in your life, concurrently. Medication can provide a foundation but will not fix your bad skills and coping techniques. All the coping techniques in the world cannot stop the voices, or the misfiring or the lack of serotonin production that may be making things unmanageable. Ideally you want both and you want them to be talking to each other. If all you do is go to a meds person they do not offer therapy, they might ask you how things are going but they only do that to gauge how well you seem by answering the questions. They're checking your boot routine. You also need someone to help you re-write your code, thats your therapist, using different modalities.

2. Effexor/Cymbalta: They're a class of drugs called SNRI's that work on both norepinerphine and serontonin levels. It's currently thought that both or either can be the underlying causes of many mental illnesses. The reason withdrawls are so severe is because of the much larger amount of brain chemical movement that takes place.
General rules for taking mental health meds is to NEVER stop taking them suddently because that withdrawl is some of the worst on earth as all of the movement of chemical processes is now snapping back to the old way in your brain. Sometimes things change in your life to where you dont need them anymore, or that youve learned enough skills to cope with what is going wrong up there without chemical assistance, but most people probably should be on them for life! If you never stop taking them the withdrawl never happens! if you do need to withdraw because there is an adverse effect, you need to talk with your medication provider and work with them to titrate down your dosage so that the change is gentle and manageable for you and your brain. DO NOT LET ANY MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL TAKE YOU OFF OF ANYTHING COLD TURKEY UNLESS ITS A POTENTIALLY FATAL ALLERGY SITUATION...prescribing supplemental medicines can help manage the negative issues, if your sex drive dies, ask about wellbutrin, which can make you super horny and balance that out for you. If there's other health issues, there are drugs that can help you withdraw much safer and much less messily. Don't get off of one without a detailed plan, and realize it can take many months to fully transition off of these medications.

there was something else but i forgot!

oh wait i remember:

3. DBT is largely adapted from zen buddhism. It's basically a westernized western mindset friendly version of the same lessons. That knowledge might help sell it to yourself. But maybe it doesnt because you rightfully run from anything religious or new agey, and you should!

I'd argue that DBT's buddhism foundation is something that is completely a-religious in any way and has nothing to do with any kind of spirituality. It's merely a method of self-examination, and a filter through which to see the world that might help reduce human suffering. It's not new agey, if anything is extremely old agey, with really old wisdoms that are fairly proven. (mindfulness is a major part of DBT, and one of mindfulness's biggest proponents is a man named John Kabat-Zinn, who works with multiple extremely prestigious medical schools to help teach the skills to patients to manage their mental health and to manage their pain and mental well being. It's got solid science behind it and can be demonstrated to be effective in studies for most people.

if you want a taste of what mindfulness is like, i'd invite you to listen to this lecture by Jon and just by listening to him he can talk you through getting to that mental state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gViiux9ANMk

Its pretty long yeah but give the first like 20 mins a try to the first break and see if its something that maybe resonates with you.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

oh i have a binder full of the entire official DBT workbook, i'll try to scan it into a pdf for yall to download and read tomorrow if there's interest

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

other experiences in my 20 year career of being extremely depressed and anxious and cPTSD ridden!

1. Benzo Land

They're neat, you take em, and then at some given point you become much calmer and probably a bit sleepy.

This effect can be VERY addictive. You might want to take them ALL THE TIME FOR EVERY MINOR STRESS if you use them as your only strategy for dealing with anxiety.

that's bad! also i use might and can be because it didn't personally happen to be and i never had a problem stopping or controlling my dosages of those. But i also have never had a problem stopping or controlling taking several other addictive substances like opioids (even very strong ones), but thats just a personal to me, lucky break kind of thing.

If i can generalize for a bit my experiences by medication are that each benzo has slightly different effects!

The big kahuna is diazepam, famous from metal gear solid! that fucker will punch your anxiety right the gently caress out of your soul temporarily, and will make you sleepy and compliant to anything going on! It's a huge, brutally strong punch that wears off on the longer term side. If your meds doc gives you this as a first line treatment , loving fire them unless you're like panic jumping out of windows. It's way too strong to be justifiably given as a day to day treatment. It's often given for dental surgery level panic.

a light punch version of that is clonopin/klonazepam ! It's probably the best one for like, maintenance, and like actually doing poo poo like working! It is relatively gentle at normal doses, and will soothe your stresses and will last for several hours. It's not great for super acute cases of panic, but will definitely work in 99% of all cases !

the short but intense Ativan(lorazepam) is a quick and violent curbstomp of your panic nodes. I only occasionally could stay awake after taking it! i forget how long it lasted because i would almost always fall asleep from it

Xanax/Alprozelam is the most popular one! it's super effective! it also comes and goes like a sucker punch. It wears off super loving quick, and because of this you will be strongly tempted to take another one if the stress/anxiety did not resolve itself. People become addicted to it very quickly because of it's characteristics. it's almost like a reverse cocaine, where it slows you down but only for a short time and you suddenly realize it's stopped working (i think! i've never actually done coke so IDK but thats how people describe it to me)

if you have no loving clue what you're doing , DO NOT ASK FOR XANAX FIRST it's like the most abused drug in the country not named fentanyl, and its withdrawls can straight up kill you by themselves (note: with opiods people die of od they cannot die of withdrawl, even tho they might wish for death, it will never come on its own) but benzos can kill you if you stop taking them suddenly.

its best to never really get involved with them if you can avoid it! but they are very effective in short term small doses. you dont want your body to acclimate to using them unless youre comfortable using them all the time, which honestly isnt very appropriate anyway. But! that said, ive known people that take clonopin every day and do fine for years and years and years if they can stay disciplined with it.

bean mom has issued a correction as of 05:22 on Feb 19, 2019

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

jesush chrust :words:

im sorry :crypes: ill go back to shitposting memes soon

THIS IS WHY I POST IMAGES SO I DONT GET CAUGHT DOING THIS KIND OF CAREPOSTING AAAA

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

no this is v good stuff :orb:

re: panic attacks any benzo will help but I recommend a weighted blanket and a dark, quiet room. Any SNRI can cause bad poo poo to go down if the dose is wrong or the drug disagrees with you. one of the reasons I don’t trust GPs with psych meds is that I had one early on put me on 60mg of cymbalta. When I woke up screaming with my wife in a headlock it was uh time to not take that anymore.

I actually do have that weirdo thing where you act out particularly violent/fearful dream actions irl and it makes being in bed with me an adventure sometimes :smith:

im on 120mg of cymbalta right now :stonk:

its ok? i guess?
i dont notice much of a difference, i might have to switch to a new med idk

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

Book recommendations and med type info will be edited in tonight. I’m moving it to second post and my personal story to third. Also considering spending money to sticky the thread.

if anyone has any recommendations beyond Man’s Search for Meaning and It’s Not Your Fault now’s the time.

feel free to steal and reformat anything ive posted

bookwise my favorite is called "full catastrophe living" by jon kabat-zinn

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

just saw this and i like it a lot

https://twitter.com/BA5ILEUS/status/1097546064717144065

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

ur cool

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

you know what sucks?

I do.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

:mood:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

oh i should point out crazymeds

https://crazymeds.net/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage.html

this is a mirror of the site its a very useful site for reading and discovering anectodal but conventional wisdom about the medications you take.

I have found the reviews to be rather accurate in the 2 dozen or so medications i have taken.

there's a lot of drama and controversy about the page's original author but you can ignore that... its a whole can of worms that isnt really important or relevant here

some commentary from a psychiatrist here:

https://slatestarcodex.com/2014/11/27/such-mixed-feelings-about-crazymeds/

also SSC is an interesting blog written by a pdoc that has many good opinions ( as well as some bad ones! this aint a full endorsement!!)

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i have ptsd and i have meditated for many years, i think the important thing that made the distinction for me is that i had a teacher while doing it. she was able to help process and talk about what would come up during meditation and we would come to a better understanding of myself and how to sit.

I think that simple breathing exercises are fine and are harmless, but yeah if you have really bad trauma, you should do things that poke that under supervision.

a longer post i dont have the energy to do would be how about that discomfort people experience with meditation is in fact, the point, and a very important aspect of it. You have this intense turmoil inside of you and when you meditate you're sitting with that feeling without any distractions whatsoever. Learning to be able to look at that directly is a vital skill for healing and improving your life. It's intense, yeah, i mean, its kinda like looking at the face of god or cthulhu. Often times meditation is simply listening to what your body is telling you. So much of our lives these days is spent completely ignoring ourselves and our bodies and what they are asking for. This can be extremely intense! If your body is telling you that you cannot handle doing it, thats something absolutely worth seeking out a therapist or meditation teacher or spiritual guide to help sort through that.

I really do think meditation is extremely important and I don't want to discount anyone's experiences. I am not intending to argue with anyone because what you feel is valid! I just want to stick up for it because the last few pages have been really down on it.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Frog Act posted:

I've been trying to secure dental insurance for my broken and cavity filled teeth and its got me reflecting on the overwhelming depression I feel all the time. I have a therapist and I'm on suboxone which keeps me functional as a non-junkie, which let me finish graduate school, but in the year since I got my master's I've been unemployed and every day that passes I become less employable because I'm not employed, in an endless cycle of shame and failure. I've been depressed and on/off medication my whole life but dealing with the reality that I am totally unwanted by society and don't have a productive role to play anywhere is really overwhelming, and its been slowly overtaking my capacity to rationally analyze my place in the world.

What sucks, I guess, is in the past I've been able to solve my mental problems (or ameliorate them temporarily) by doing things I was "supposed" to do, like take medication and get good grades in school. I've been depressed with varying degrees of intensity my whole life, and I'm mostly a profoundly miserable misanthrope, but there have been couple-month-long windows where I was doing okay with a girlfriend and social life while working as a TA, which is why I don't have any debt. So I don't have to worry about that, but outside of having a net worth of zero instead of negative something I have nothing going for me. Its like, I tried the things you're supposed to do in order to progress, but now I'm out of options besides things that are so miserable I have a hard time contemplating them, returning to retail feels like the brain equivalent of staring at the sun.

Deep down I often wish that I'd get hit by a car and crippled or something because I've kind of let go of fantasies of a middle class existence with a career and SO and stuff, but I know there's some pleasure to be eked out of life sitting inside smoking weed and reading stuff/playing videogames, but I don't have any excuse to do that because I'm a normal, capable person who just hasn't amounted to anything. It makes me think about something from an episode of the x-files

I'm glad there's a thread for this in cspam because I have nobody to really say these things to that doesn't respond with platitudes or suggestions that I materialize a part-time job out of thin air/dehumanize myself and face a life of more grinding misery than I can handle.

go to a temp agency my goon!

they specialize in helping people like you get a little bit of career momentum back

go file some papers in an office for a couple of months and if you get fired who cares you can just get another temp job

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Goon Danton posted:

He's an abnormally fancy chihuahua

i love longhaird chichuahua's so much :stwoon:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

I just found out my first boyfriend got stabbed to death yesterday and I'm feeling all sorts of weird about it. A little panicky and fuzzy headed. I haven't really kept up with him since I was like 19 but I definitely wasn't expecting to scroll through google news and see him murdered. I somehow missed a bunch of snapchat messages from people telling me about it yesterday too so it was a little overwhelming opening them up and now trying to talk to everyone else who was a part or periphery to our friend group at the time

dang

thats a ruff thing to read

i had somethign similar happen once, the first girl i ever kissed owned herself drunk driving, and it was a terrible thing to read :( let yourself grieve if you feel the need to.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i want to get the ketamine so bad

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/SarahCAndersen/status/1088096881086005249

my gaming issues are like having to be in a certain focused mood to play certain games and i cant/won't play them outside of that mood. I'll launch them and then close out of them after they load because i decided that i didnt feel right to play

its annoying

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Poniard posted:

dick and ball torture

dave and busters therapy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/zylalovesyou/status/1105145782628503553

want me to scan this into a pdf for yall? itll take a while its huge, like 300 pages