Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

trgbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

I'm making in-person friends, blinding them to my uncouthness with my culinary science :unsmith:

homemade key lime pie is the best path to the heart of my friend's girlfriend/partner

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Jollity Farm posted:

I already said that I had been diagnosed (with severe anxiety and depression) by doctors, just that I haven't been formally diagnosed with AvPD. This is why I don't talk to people, I'm incredibly bad at making myself understood. I'm even worse in person - I have a very quiet voice and often a nervous stammer. Plus I have my fear of social situations. I have tried to become a normal person, tried for years and years, saw counsellors, still take medication. But I'm still a piece of poo poo.

fwiw if you're worried about your last few posts being unclear, they weren't, and i think i understood exactly what you meant me to understand

always easier to take a breath and throw in a clause when writing than in person, ofc; not trying to argue against your anxiety

Poniard posted:

dick and ball torture

the wonderfully affirming feeling of knowing i am not alone in reading that as that

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

sry for the multiposts I'm just reading some backlog

Mackers posted:

And it has been literally months since I quit escitalopram and I'm still getting zaps.

I should probably go back on meds huh.

yes

poo poo man

i didn't know the zaps lasted that long. i had to deal with it for going on two weeks

i described it as my sensation of consciousness retracting to a single point in my head before rapidly expanding out again painfully in order to repeat the cycle

does that fit? jw if we all get similar zaps idk

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

awesome

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

let's pretend for a sec and grant that medicine only works by dint of the placebo effect:

does that magically undo their therapeutic value?

no it doesn't! and anyone who actually knows anything about the bonkersness of the placebo effect would understand this and would therefore not bother pinching off that post

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

afaik it only rests on the line in studies that a disingenuous person could summarize as "only 20% more people in the experimental group reported positive results than did the placebo group, therefore!!!!!!"

like am i myself really so special and unique that I'm the only one for whom drugs actually work? probably not, so

(or is my placebo drive so finicky that it only accepts certain compounds but freaks the gently caress out in response to others? does my brain know to "pretend" to be placated on the third attempted medicine, but for fun it'll have majorly bad reactions to the first two? and, again, even if it is literally all the brain just deciding to pretend to be treated ..... how is that distinguishable from treatment?)

juche avocado has issued a correction as of 00:36 on Mar 12, 2019

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

sry I'm currently experiencing the caffeine placebo effect

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

idk what if Google instead of asking a bunch of neuroatypicals to defend the therapy/ies that work for them

i get that it's a good-faith curioisity but yk would you go into a minority church and announce that you're "actually just wondering" about the scholarly papers on whether racism exists still or not

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

pre-op bebop posted:

:same:

Only somewhat large amounts of caffeine seem to matter for me though.

ah, the classic volumetric placebo,

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

fine I'll stop making fun of the bad driveby post and bad driveby thesis

making fun of things is fun, but i will stop experiencing this "fun" for you, chokes

for u

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

fun side note falling into a circle of friends made up of like 25% psych grad students ownnnnnnssssssssssssssss

they understand me

also they like my cooking

o i already made this post

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

i wanna get a tattoo on my abdomen:

"THESE ABS BROUGHT TO YOU BY

ESCITALOPRAM"

& maybe a tramp stamp: "nice butt? more like 'wellBUTTrin' hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!"

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

lol ok guy sorry for offending you by pointing out how you could be read as being insensitive

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

for my next trick im gonna crash into the lf thread and demand that i have communism's ultimate morality proved to me (I'm just asking questions!)

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Poniard posted:

lmao I told my boss that my personal morals have been in active conflict with my job and that i probably won't be sticking around too long. I was supposed to go to some conference on the other side of the country that I didn't want to go to and there would have been no point because I would bail a month or so afterwards anyway. He looked sad and seemed blindsided by telling him about my troubles which he could do nothing about. Gonna be stressin about this interaction for a while but if I didn't say it and start moving on I don't think I would see the end of the year

yeah! you did the right thing! and you stood up for yourself! yay

like you'd be stressing waaaay worse about wanting to have that conversation but not actually having it, right? before we even consider that not having that conversation would lead to the continuation of a stressful status quo?

so sounds like you're doing good considering :)

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

got any sevens posted:

was it real lovely, like ohio or florida? or just a medium state, like montana or oregon?

:banjo:

lol

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

bahahahahahahah i finally googled dick and ball torture to see what it actually was hahahahaha

lmao posted:

The theory behind the approach is that some people are prone to react in a more intense and out-of-the-ordinary manner toward certain emotional situations, primarily those found in romantic, family and friend relationships. DBT theory suggests that some people’s arousal levels in such situations can increase far more quickly than the average person’s, attain a higher level of emotional stimulation, and take a significant amount of time to return to baseline arousal levels

i bolded the parts that call me out specifically

lmao

gently caress

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

my brainzaps were debilitating for a few days and extremely annoying for the remainder of the week or two i had to be off meds

I'd be standing up trying to do work or whatever and I'd have to sit down because i lost my sense of balance concurrent with the escalation of pain in my brain until their twinned climax and the re-expansion of my capacity of consciousness to the room I'm occupying

if you have experience on psychedelic drugs, the sensation of your consciousness expanding as though it were a gas to fill the space you're in: it's that but mirrored, before it painfully explodes back to Normal Consciousness & the cycle repeats

for me at least!!!

edit: what I'm learning is that for some it "doesn't exactly hurt" but for others (me) it hurt a whole hell of a lot at first

juche avocado has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Mar 12, 2019

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

A Spherical Sponge posted:

When I trialled some venlafaxine a year ago or so for depression, I got quite bad brain zaps on the second day. The night before I had horrible and very vivid nightmares where I thought I was going insane, and then when I woke up I was terrified and dizzy, and started getting brain zaps while lying in bed which were incredibly disorienting.

It was like a mental discontinuity and then an explosion like shock sensation right in the centre of my brain that just completely fried my mind on a very basic level, accompanied with a jolt of adrenaline. There would be like an afterglow for a few seconds where I would slowly reconstitute my ability to make sense of where I was and what I was perceiving through my senses. It was very unpleasant and kind of terrifying, and they came on every 5-15 minutes or so for about an hour and a half after I'd woken up. I got some smaller ones later in the day too which weren't as severe but still very disorienting.

you did a better job of describing it than i did, friend

i experienced essentially exactly this it suuuuuuuuucked

holy gently caress i forgot about the dreams

(this was experienced thanks to withdrawal, not thanks to trying out a new med)

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

well yeah i didn't mean to

it was an accidental set of circumstances that i allowed to fester before blooming into terribleness as a natural outgrowth of the sadbrains the meds are part of trying to ameliorate

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

haha lol this owns

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

sera robin syndrome is apparently a thing that turns you into a dentist

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Burn Zone posted:

I need to get back into therapy, $drug alone isn’t cutting it

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

twoday posted:

in re: vitamin D, SAD, sadbrains in general, the dark times, clouds, sun, spring

i'm waiting to get back on that sweet sweet medicaid before i talk to a doctor about this:

i'm a bit worried that -- if such a thing could exist -- and no, i am not a hypochondriac; if anything, i'm the opposite -- i've got some Seasonally Affective Mania goin on

seems that i have become manic around the vernal equinox for many years in a row

lol

guess i'll see about getting re-screened for bipolar

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

you know what just gently caress this post

juche avocado has issued a correction as of 19:44 on Apr 5, 2019

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

anyway as a proud haver of 0 melanin i'm super fuckin good at synthesizing vitamin d

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

* my counselor: "well, wellbutrin is chemically similar to meth, so that's... yeah."

oh

lmao

hi thread hi how are you i've got four posts for ya sorry about that

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

hell yeah idk what a tim tam slam is but it rhymes so it must be good

meanwhile i'm trying to business-professionally write a letter to a hospital alleging emotional and economic distress that they exacted on me unjustly and wrongly,

which itself is causing me emotional and economic distress,

which is making it harder to do the thing

that i don't know how to do

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

my parents failed me lmao

solidarity friend

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

1,400 words to explain why i'm not paying this bill lol

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

concerta is Not Good, imo

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

I've honestly never heard of it, on a scale of placebo to effexor how bad is it

it's a stimulant for adhd; it's bad as heck but its badness doesn't fall on that spectrum (badness is multidimensional)

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

what are we whatting

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

i mean everyone is a unique temple w/ their own chemistry. could be great for you, except you just said it's not doing anything? :v:

it sucked nuts for me, especially 10 y/o me

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

lol at how called out i feel by this song

hi thread

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Equeen posted:

it's also air force propaganda lol

so are planes tbh

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

a bundle of reactionary nerves wired together

Chokes McGee posted:

so its probably ok.

:hmmno:

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

what's No Dickbags, Inc. gonna do? make dildos?

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

imo let's not manically whip ourselves into pretending that staying alive is or should be radical act