Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chokes McGee posted:

im mentally ill poster chokes mcgee. i first started reading cspam when i was about 36. by 38 i got really obsessed with the concept of "trump" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "ed balls" and "i love making GBS threads inside cum assholes" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of cspam humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "post" Trump to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness.

C-SPAM Mental Health & Depression Omnibus Thread

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/746803108949409793

what the gently caress is this lol

People come to cspam and especially the trump thread for the nihilistic lmaos but there's still a lot of deep anxiety, fear, and hurting behind those jokes. We're all trying to make sense of a completely senseless world that seems to be in its death throes. However, if you don't go further than posting the maniacal laughter of despair, there is a very good chance it will destroy you. Please do not do that. There is still life outside these forums. Some of it is still pretty nice.

okay so now what

Take inventory of the things in life that make you happy—stuff not related to the thread. If you find it lacking or (worse) don't care about what you have I highly recommend seeking support. I did not. Story about what catastrophe befell me will follow.

I expect the people who aren't coming in here to shitpost to be looking for help with depression. Consider if you have bipolar as well. If you've gone on repeated uncontrollable rampages of anger/shopping/sex/creativity, especially coupled with frequent insomnia, chances are very good you do. Treating bipolar with depression meds alone is a very bad idea so you'll want to be sure of that.

how to help

Here are some common modalities used to combat depression/anxiety/grief. If you decide on a treatment plan, you will most likely want a little bit of all of them.

Therapist: This is the cornerstone. A therapist will give you a safe space to vent where a single word will not breathed to anyone unless you literally say you have plans to kill yourself or someone else. They will probably be able to help with (healthy) coping strategies or life goals. In addition, many will be able to apply strategies like CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) and the like to help with self defeating thought processes. Make sure they're licensed. You want either a licensed therapist, social worker, or psychologist. Everything else is probably garbage.

Psychiatrist: You may need pills. You may not. They will not rob you of a piece of yourself like you were lobotomized. They're not some evil horrific brainwashing attempt by the illuminati although some of the side effects are not fun, to say the least. It's also more of an art that a science and will take a few months of tinkering to find the right cocktail and there's a ton of different drugs for each category. A good psychiatrist will listen to you when you complain about side effects and ask about medications. They will then change or keep what you have based on feedback. If they just write a prescription, then tell you to shut the gently caress up the next time you see them because they know better, fire them immediately. Do not let your general practitioner handle meds. They're not qualified and will gently caress it up. If all you have is a GP then it's better than nothing, and some of them aren't terrible. Get a P-Doc if you can though. They have specialized knowledge and experience a GP won't, and it makes a huge difference.

Group Therapy: This has by far worked best for me. Basically, you get a bunch of people in the same room with the same problem with the understanding nothing said there leaves and get them talking about their experiences. It's incredibly liberating to see heads bob knowingly while you describe something you thought was a dark secret shame. Someone else has gone through it, too. You're not alone.

Meditation: Or mindfulness, or whatever. Get an app or just plop down somewhere and concentrate on your breathing for a while. It calms the mind, relaxes the body, and for those of you with bipolar, can stop the internal screaming for a little bit.

Nutrition: As dumb as it sounds, make sure you're eating regularly. This can be hard to remember to do during severe depression (or severe mania). Get enough calories and try to eat lots of protein and less sugar. Also, take 1g of fish oil/flaxseed oil and a multivitamin. It's good for you.

Sleep hygene: Only you can know how much you need and when. If you're dragging every day, you probably need more. On the other end of the spectrum is oversleeping. If you're waking up after 14 hours feeling gross then you definitely need to get moving and probably get more sunlight. Consider a HappyLight for 30 minutes a day if it's overcast or dark out. It makes a huge difference.

i'm broke and don't have health insurance

NAMI can provide group therapy. In addition, many places will have specific support groups going, i.e. depression, bipolar, autism, etc. Vet appropriately before attending. Flee immediately if anyone starts suggesting weird poo poo or pushing specific "therapists" on you.

Many communities will have sliding scale psychiatrists and therapists, it's just a matter of finding them. Also, the waiting list may be enormous. Still, it's better than nothing. Out of pocket everywhere else is expensive as poo poo but most places I've seen will cap it at $125 a visit and psych meds are cheap through GoodRX. It's still horrific but at least you won't be on the hook for thousands after going to a hospital.

cspam specific poo poo

For gods sake disclose all your illicit substances to your psychiatrist. They may disapprove but they won't refuse treatment or release that info to anyone. If you're smoking trees or shotgunning an entire bottle of jack each day they need to know so they don't put you on something that will kill you. I mean you shouldn't be doing that stuff in excess anyway, it's self medicating, but I'm not your mom so w/e

everything is awful get me off of this planet

Please do not commit suicide. Suicide sucks. Your last thoughts will be filled with regret: the people you're leaving behind, the life you could've had, the conditions that drove you to this point of incredible pain where there was only one way left. If you are feeling suicidal, call:

* Your therapst (if you have one)
* A close friend or family member (if you have one)
* The Suicide Prevention Hotline is always there for you.

If you have the insurance, go to a mental hospital immediately and request a voluntary stay. Most stays will last a week, and if you checked yourself in, you can check yourself out at any time (but don't do that). You can get a note at the end saying you were under medical care which will probably keep you from getting fired (but probably not paid either). If your company offers it and you can afford it, consider taking short term disability afterwards.

But, most importantly, just call someone. Reach out. Please.

hey guys i think i'm finally gonna troll the mental health thread, wish me luck

i expect a certain amount of shitposting and general cspam dumbassery and would be disappointed if we didn't get it. however please don't:

* refer to psychology as a "sham" science
* tell people all meds are terrible or to stop taking them (or not bother to start)
* make fun of anyone's mental illness (especially me you shitheads)
* post lol nothing matters and don't bother trying and bullshit like that
* generally be a dick towards anyone genuinely hurting and in need of help

I can't enforce anything but I'll probably complain to, idk, someone. They may not even be a mod, I'll just complain. then i'll probably lock the thread. I want this to be a good thread where good things happen so please do not do this.

ok post questions or w/e I'll do my best to answer them

PROTIP
dont read the news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU