Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
i'm gonna be straight with you cspam, I don't think it's psychologically healthy to constantly consume information about and read the words of people you hate

I also don't think it's good to be convinced you're in the bad timeline or the hell world or actual hell, I just don't think that's a way to keep yourself sane

One of my therapists growing up was convinced I didn't have any friends because I deliberately did things to not fit in, and tried to get me to read books about Christianity, even though I told him I was an atheist. He also had a hard time dealing with my stance of not standing for the pledge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

contrary to what goons think, "get therapy" is not a silver bullet for every emotional problem one might come across. you're only going to get out of it as much as you put in

what has helped immensely for me is not using twitter and not reading my facebook newsfeed. i only use fb for jokes, shitposts, and sharing dog pics. the people who use fb the most just post stuff that makes them angry and end up spreading the rage virus further. i don't need that in my life. i know what i like and don't like, i'm aware of the news, and my opinions line up with those friends anyway. do your own thing online, being yourself is empowering and it feels good

instagram helps me relax too, seeing as i mostly follow dog accounts

This is good advice, and "get therapy" might actually lead to the same outcome when you talk about how you've been reading all this terrible news and you don't think that life's worth living anymore. They might say "hey... don't do that anymore, see how you feel then"

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

This is absolutely not going to happen unless you draw a therapist that's absolute poo poo. The job of therapy is to help you process things in a safe environment and give you coping mechanisms and strategies for day to day life. At no point should there be a "doctor it hurts when I do this" moment.

Yes, I apologize, that was a flippant comment in a thread that's specifically not supposed to be like that.

I do think it can be very psychologically healthy to step back, especially from social media platforms that are designed to make you "engage" even if that's you being very angry and sad all the time. Facebook tries to get me to come back by reminding me that my racist uncle who's the reason I left is posting, because I kept arguing with him. Everyone knows how all this poo poo works by now, but in the era of Trump twitter it's important to keep in mind that as far as companies are concerned, laboriously explaining to your uncle's racist friends about how asylum works is just as pleasurable an experience as trading cooking tips with your friends in other countries.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I've realized I have a problem that I feel like C-Spammers probably can relate to and maybe have some advice.

See, kinda all my hobbies got sucked into politics. So when the politics suck, everything does. The books I've got kicking around that I want to read are about politics, the movies I've been thinking about are documentaries, even talking about video games or tabletop games is mired in politics. I can't get away and I've done this all to myself. The solution is obvious, I know, but when so many of the things I find interesting intersect with the political, it's hard to pull away from it.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

felt. One of the many, many things that led to my breakdown was taking the phone app I made for Harris’ campaign to the local DSA guy going OH BOY HERES MY CHANCE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH MY COMPUTER TOUCHING only to have him poo poo all over it and then tell me what it should be and to do that instead

now I do things that actually make a difference like helping provide info to fellow mental illness sufferers :)

Yeah I wanted to sit back, put on a podcast and just play some things.

Then I realized all my podcasts except one are related to politics.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I am worried about how reasonable it's feeling to commit suicide if trump wins again

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not. You know rationally that it isn't reasonable, but suicidal ideation is a hell of a thing. Remove potential methods of self-harm or take yourself away from them, tell someone trusted and if you can't talk to a help line or a professional, spend time in public if possible, and remember that suicidal urges pass sooner than you think. You can also call a psych or a help line or some mental health resource now, since you've taken the important step of identifying your ideation, and they can help you set up a crisis plan and some coping exercises, and assist you in stopping this from reaching a dangerous point. You aren't alone and there are rational steps you can take to make yourself safer.

You can get through it but don't rationalize your thoughts. It's easy to do and just remember that it's never rational or reasonable, and there is no logical or ethical argument for it.

What I'd want to do is genuinely renounce my citizenship, but there's nowhere that would take me and no way for me to get anywhere else. Thank you for responding so carefully, it's just... so frustrating to not want to be something and have no way out

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I feel so empty all the time

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I actually forgot I toxxed for Bernie, I didn't abandon this site in disgust

I know no one cares, but after taking a long break from the twitter politics and pace of this place and just finally telling a professional about how I wanted to die if Trump gets re-elected I feel... much better

I explained how my internal monologue was a non-stop pundit sphere, about polls and demographics and more polls and the 2018 election and the 2012 election and the 2010 election and just so much, and they just told me that it sounded exhausting. It was. I didn't have the emotional energy to do anything, and I couldn't decouple from it because it was literally a matter of life and death for me. I didn't want to die, but I didn't want to live with a certain outcome, and it made me feel trapped and frustrated and caring too much about election minutia because what the hell else could I do? Especially in the past month, since I spent time and effort and resources on something and it didn't work out. For the first time, too.

But, you know, I realized it was me feeling helpless. Utterly helpless about something that mattered to me. Utterly helpless because things are much bigger than I am. This realization and the ability to see that I'm in the middle of history kinda made me feel more relaxed. I still wouldn't say I feel "good" because I can honestly say that I hope this pandemic gets worse for certain groups of people, but considering that even local news facebook sections want the protesters to get sick and die, I don't think I'm abnormal in that regard.

We're living through a plague. If we feel unstable, well no poo poo. But at least I don't feel too exhausted to do anything anymore. I probably won't post here or watch this forum because I think it literally drove me to madness, but I learned a lot while I was here and I'm still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I really don't know what to do with these feelings that I'm living in a failing democracy and a declining empire. It's this sort of... intellectual discomfort and implacable anxiety about things so much bigger than me or my ability to influence.

It's a strange thing.