Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

quote:

hey guys i think i'm finally gonna pull the trigger
You literally just posted a section against suicide, and still used this language.

Not attacking, just highlighting how lovely a lot of our throw away phrases are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

my dentist keeps telling me I'm grinding my teeth but if I gotta choose between wearing my teeth down to nubs or not being able to sleep cause I'm wearing a mouth guard I'm gonna choose sleep.

plus they want like $250 to make that poo poo because of course it's not covered by insurance.

wouldn't fix the underlying problem anyway, which is that I am physically incapable of Chill

I had a dentist recently want to charge me $1700 for one but after I fired him and went to another the night guard I had been using for the past long time is still fine.

You can also get them at a drugstore for fairly cheap, just saw a few to choose from tonight in fact. They won't be perfectly custom but eh better then grinding them. I use dto wake up with a sore mouth and loose teeth and don't anymore, its a huge help

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

CSPAM Mental Health and Depression Thread: smoke weed about it

ok

its really made me realize just how much anxiety I put up with daily

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

An insane mind posted:

So reading this thread uhm...boy., is it ok if I say that I have basically become stuck in C-Spam? I switch between a few doomsday threads constantly and shitpost and I can't actually stop. I'm researching every little tidbit about Trump and Brexit and climate change deniers obsessively and it's making me feel paralyzed.
I tried stepping away from C-Spam for a bit, do meditation, walk outside or read a book and it's still in my head.

I feel bad when I'm not researching stuff, I feel horrid when I don't know the latest goings on and I feel utterly stupid and weak for sitting in a dark room unable to act on anything I read. I have meds, I take them religiously but I started harming myself again.

me too actually but replace "research" with "scrollin and trumpin"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Man just a ball of anxiety this week this rules that feeling in the pit of my stomach and constant verge of fight or flight owns

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

you have my deepest sympathies. after everything I’ve heard, you’re a good person. I’m glad you’re looking for support, and this thread is always here for you.

Well said.

My heart goes out to you op

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

half an hour until a consult to discuss anxiety, and I am feeling anxious :ohdear:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Tungsten posted:

oh god what if i'm not anxious enough during my anxiety consult

its turtles all the way down

turtles with anxiety

but seriously, your comment strikes home. Like I'm telling myself I'm not seriously affected and am taking resources away from someone who REALLY needs them. Its pernicious

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

they revive a dead man so that he can die...properly? Medical science is hosed up

Sorry for your loss buddy. As you say, the recent fighting was just a temporary blip on your overall relationship

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Louisgod posted:

I'm really saddened by all of the misinformation, or lack of information, about tinnitus both online and offline. I posted about my recent experiences in the COVID thread and how I've learned tons of useful tips and tricks to help with my recent spat of tinnitus, and I had four separate goons PM me saying they suffer from tinnitus and asked for advice as well. Most western PCPs will prescribe random poo poo to help with symptoms then refer folks to an ENT, who then run a hearing test and in the end say there's nothing they can do and they have to live with it, which is patently wrong. I joined a Facebook tinnitus support group and the number of people who are insanely depressed and have had their lives ruined is too many to count, with many drinking every night until they pass out as a means for relief. Then you get the ones who are so desperate that they delve into conspiratorial territory of blaming 5G, wi-fi and/or vaccines for their onset of tinnitus.

It isn't easy but there are many options available to work through tinnitus though they take lots of effort and a lot of time to get to a place where you feel better. Many people aren't aware of the options and in turn their mental health absolutely craters to where they can't function in society; I read many stories of people who lost their jobs, their kids and their happiness because they were told there's nothing to be done. There is, but it's a long road.

I have not had good results from ENTs, they always seem to look at whatever, shrug and say "nothing can be done". But my tinnitus never went through one of them, I was sent straight to a hearing clinic, they found I had mild hearing loss due to having lived so long, and suggested maybe I could consider hearing aids. Not sure if that would help with the constant ringing but at least I'm able to easily tune it out

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Then again, my anxiety consult kind of went the same way as an ENT visit this time, since it is a program that only sees you for a single visit, then recommend a bunch of web sites you can go to to work on mindfulness and CBT. Which, fair, but I can google too and already had so

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Cuttlefush posted:

also if you have tinnitus and have never tried the back of head ear clap thing, google that phrase and try it

I have and there is little to no relief from it, sadly.

Thanks for the links to the pubmed articles and appreciate the effortpost!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Prescott posted:

Meditation/Mindfulness has been the most useful tool psychology ever offered me. It can be hard as a material atheist not to side-eye all the spiritual and pseudo-religious baggage people bring of it but there’s a lot of scientific, even neurological evidence to its efficacy, which convinced me as a staunchly material early twentysomething. If I catch myself in time it can turn a full-blown panic attack into merely an unbearable acrid anxiety, or an acrid anxiety into merely a cold pit in my chest. And on my good days I use it to make the most of what few they are.

Thank you for the write up, FirstnameLastname.

For me, the very model of a material atheist, being an academic in science, I bounced off mindfulness meditation until incorporating some of the Buddhist background oddly. It didn't make sense to me removed from it's fuller context for whatever reason. And whatever, it works, and most of the philosophy doesn't demand you accept things like reincarnation or the pure land of Amitaba Buddha (although I think they have more practical lessons in a non woo direction too, in a Zen tradition).

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

would it make sense to start a thread in the Goon Doctor about tinnitus, really drill down into it?

I've noticed mine much more the past couple of days. Noise cancelling headphones really seem to set it off since I'm basically just left with it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

Had an insomnia attack last night and have felt tense and upset most of the day. I've been able to keep most of the mental problems down, mostly by recognizing that I'm having a physical episode that's making it hard to think clearly and that ive beaten it before and just need to wait it out again, but still sucks that I'm having trouble sleeping and dealing with these symptoms. Got a bit of an upset stomach and my heart feels fast and heavy, plus my whole body feels tense and tired. I don't know exactly why this came back right now- there's a few minor things here and there but nothing worse than the usual baseline.

E: I wanna take a nap but feel like I've got too much adrenaline

I was just reading an article in WaPo about early heart attack signs and now everything seems to be a potential heart attack symptom now so I'm hair triggered to be alarmist but maybe consider getting that checked?

I am not an MD and am not giving medical advice btw

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah I was scared of that a while back, but I got checked out the day after an attack a while back and didn't have anything noticed. I'm also in acceptable shape in my late 20s so it feels pretty unlikely. I felt better when I went out for dinner with some of my siblings in town, so if it isn't purely psychological then it's something transient. But yeah I'm always not sure when worrying about something is hypochondriac anxiety and when ignoring it is complacency

E: persistence has me worried, these episodes usually last for quite some time rather than being sharp shocks, not sure if the fact that they've been recurring for months makes it better or worse

ok good good, just checking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Pajser posted:

its not numbing me anymore and im afraid these days im going to do something truly stupid

If you can, maybe consider checking yourself in for a short bit of inpatient care? Will prevent you from doing something truly stupid and they will get the ball rolling on helping you work out whatever is at the root of your rage issue.

Also therapy, but if you are really on that edge as you say, I wouldn't wait myself.