Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

i quickly gave up w paying professionals to not help me at all w covid brain smell/taste/sleep/emotional problems and turned to my friend "dr google" as doctors condescendingly refer to "learning about things."

from there i just started searching for _problem_+supplement+NCBI (scientific papers website) and reading a lot and trying whatever foods/plants that sounded helpful and not dangerous. a good one to start with is magnesium, a lot of people are deficient in that i guess and it makes brains work good so it's an easy and safe one to try, i like the glycinate kind and take it before bed.

The Role and the Effect of Magnesium in Mental Disorders: A Systematic Review posted:

Introduction: Magnesium is an essential cation involved in many functions within the central nervous system, including transmission and intracellular signal transduction. Several studies have shown its usefulness in neurological and psychiatric diseases. Furthermore, it seems that magnesium levels are lowered in the course of several mental disorders, especially depression.

Magnesium for treatment-resistant depression: A review and hypothesis posted:

Summary
Sixty percent of cases of clinical depression are considered to be treatment-resistant depression (TRD). Magnesium-deficiency causes N-methyl-d-aspartate (NMDA) coupled calcium channels to be biased towards opening, causing neuronal injury and neurological dysfunction, which may appear to humans as major depression. Oral administration of magnesium to animals led to anti-depressant-like effects that were comparable to those of strong anti-depressant drugs. Cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) magnesium has been found low in treatment-resistant suicidal depression and in patients that have attempted suicide. Brain magnesium has been found low in TRD using phosphorous nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, an accurate means for measuring brain magnesium. Blood and CSF magnesium do not appear well correlated with major depression. Although the first report of magnesium treatment for agitated depression was published in 1921 showing success in 220 out of 250 cases, and there are modern case reports showing rapid terminating of TRD, only a few modern clinical trials were found. A 2008 randomized clinical trial showed that magnesium was as effective as the tricyclic anti-depressant imipramine in treating depression in diabetics and without any of the side effects of imipramine. Intravenous and oral magnesium in specific protocols have been reported to rapidly terminate TRD safely and without side effects. Magnesium has been largely removed from processed foods, potentially harming the brain. Calcium, glutamate and aspartate are common food additives that may worsen affective disorders. We hypothesize that – when taken together – there is more than sufficient evidence to implicate inadequate dietary magnesium as the main cause of TRD, and that physicians should prescribe magnesium for TRD. Since inadequate brain magnesium appears to reduce serotonin levels, and since anti-depressants have been shown to have the action of raising brain magnesium, we further hypothesize that magnesium treatment will be found beneficial for nearly all depressives, not only TRD.

then i found another one that helped me feel better, "boswellia serrata" and it turned out to be a kind of frankincense and that kinda set me off on learning about traditional plant use and that information is all in old religious texts which are super interesting to learn about. lots of leads there since plants that made people healthy in the past generally still work here in the future.

once getting smell/taste senses back (incredibly important! knowing what smells bad and to avoid it is very useful!!) i have been trying every variety of flavors/seasonings i can and they all own, even bad/stale stuff from the back of the cabinet cause it's fun to identify what changes about it as it gets older

also super basic stuff like drinking more water, wash your windows and monitor(easy one, nice to see things clearer), clean your bathroom(sometimes difficult but you spend a lot of time there), go for short walks in morning (good for arranging thoughts, no headphones), brush off a pet /trim a plant branch, checking yr diet out, etc.

eating oatmeal every day is good for you, still pretty affordable and you can add anything to it. i started w just like two cloves and a little cinnamon and honey and now it's increased to a handful of cardamom, clove, peppercorns, long pepper, different types of cinnamon, add lots of whatever fruits i got after its cooked etc. oatmeal gives you energy for a long time too i can usually just have coffee and weed for lunch this way to save $ lol. spices are a little expensive but its fine to just get small amounts of stuff to test out, ordering the same thing from separate places helps notice differences and makes u feel smart. tasting/enjoying is important and appreciating food makes your body absorb it better.

anyways sorry for :words: definitely not an expert at anything just some ideas. hope everybody can find positive/creative things to focus on !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

you are all cool and nice people and i hope everyone can have good thoughts/feelings this year :toot: :weed: :love:

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

i'm so sorry egg. animals are absolutely more perceptive and helpful of other beings in distress than the distancing thing people do when unable to process unpleasant feelings. but also i'm not sure where people are even supposed to learn how to care for others emotions anymore? i can't think of any public figure real or fiction that's ever had any positive moral influence in my lifetime. maybe kermit or big bird? every character in tv/movies is a sarcastic unaffected coolguy and political/religious leaders are all experts at rules lawyering their way out of any type of responsibility for loss. when i was in school my friends spoke mostly in movie quotes and it was so annoying, no thoughts just repeating stuff we heard. even tv nature documentaries are full of pretend adventure narratives w happy endings. people are good at chatting about news trivia they can have an easy +/- opinion on like everything is sports but any emotion besides happiness is embarrassing and to be hidden away. maybe its tv brain, the expectation that no matter what awkward situation you get into everything will get wrapped up and reset after 30/60 minutes.

i kinda blame western language. separating man from nature and setting it up like some battle to be won. and then we did win! agriculture and industrial food production all hid away the unfun and gross parts of life but also the rewarding activities of identifying safe food to collect, hunting, and growing plants. just pay a guy (company) to do it for you. no stress that the fruit trees are having an unproductive season. no exhaustion or fear of failure/injury from chasing a quadriped through the forest and no sadness/respect memory of killing cooking eating making anything useful from its life form. as long as you get that money you can go to the store and grab some bags of nicely shaped food items no emotions necessary. only having time to work at jobs and not having to see many of the less pleasant parts of sustaining everyday life makes us less capable of understanding our/others feelings when really bad poo poo happens. it seems like so much of the world is hidden unless you actively seek to spend time observing behavior of plants and animals irl or some livestream of a river or birds nest.

anyways doubt any of that rambling is helpful at all i hope your friends improve it sounds like you have the right level of expectation from other people, i got some clouds to go yell at

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Karach posted:

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I keep wandering around thinking that there must be some weirdo like me somewhere in a 250 km radius around my home, but I've never met them. Then again, if they're like me they've gone to great lengths to conceal their weirdness so they can get through the day with minimal friction.

lol yeah that's why posting is cool

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

one of my friends texted me this afternoon about some dumb candy we used to like and it was a small thing but really nice to talk for 2 minutes. feel like i've been too shy and withdrawn from lots of my old friends. i always worry that im going to be interrupting peoples lives when i try to call or write to them. need to try to mend some of those broken connections and get back to people and just be better vibes irl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

yeah waking up in the morning and not feeling super dried out and terrible even if you slept kinda crappy is really nice

stuff that helped me quit drinking in 2021/2022

1-smoke more weed
2-stopped feeling safe where i was buying alcohol (threatened for wearing a mask, stupid but it made me not want to go in there anymore)
3-ran out of money
4-got very sick w covid so weed and alcohol made me feel even worse (confused, dizzy, scared) took like a year but weed's okay now sometimes a little overwhelming. i had one beer a while ago and it made me feel terrible, probably some sort of liver damage so it cant process correctly

i don't recommend any of those except maybe #1 and only if you feel like it is improving you mentally and not contributing to negative thoughts. i was also having stomach/chest pains that doctors couldn't find the cause of that eventually faded after not drinking for a while. i think the important thing is to interrupt the routines you fall into drinking every day and try to focus on something else that is less harmful like food/pets/books/exercise/whatever