Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

e: never mind!!!! the moment i hit post i realised i should not

e2: for transparency's sake, i posted i was quitting therapy and then looked at the post and realised that's a terrible idea

e3: meta observation, my posting itt is never a good idea but i get compulsions to do it, and it's probably because you are all quite nice and good people who genuinely want to help others. the internet is a terrible medium for communication, but that much of a person's personality does come through. hence the mental health problems, because capitalist society grabs you by that caring instinct and grinds you down to dust.

an egg has issued a correction as of 02:03 on Dec 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

i wish i wasn't like this

an egg has issued a correction as of 11:53 on Dec 9, 2023

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

it really would suck being a therapist at the moment

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

edit

an egg has issued a correction as of 12:24 on Dec 20, 2023

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

The Top G posted:

~*~the power of journaling~*~

A lot of people report good results from a journaling habit, personally it helps me ‘settle’ my thoughts and puts abstract feelings into words. Almost like a form of meditation. Doesn’t have to be much, 5-10 sentences about how you’re feeling and why, but I usually find myself going longer once I get started.

Obviously not a panacea for mental health issues but I’ve been surprised at how much better a simple and accessible exercise can have me feeling.
i write about five pages a day at the moment, it's the only thing that keeps me sane and also keeps me from posting my brains out in this very thread. it's evergreen advice for everyone, though, so thank you.

(yes, i do constantly tear out and destroy pages for the same reason that i edit out every post)

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

my therapist and i have reconciled our differences. thank you, c-spam mental health thread

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

i once asked my therapist "do you look forward to taking a long break in december every year and coming back to christmas-induced psychological chaos" and they laughed and said yes

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

happy new year

an egg has issued a correction as of 13:24 on Jan 1, 2024

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

screaming into the void

an egg has issued a correction as of 12:31 on Jan 7, 2024

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Karach posted:

hello, this is the void, how's it going?
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

death by guilt nvm

an egg has issued a correction as of 04:07 on Jan 8, 2024

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

thank you, stash :h: as always, i am so sorry about the constant posting and deleting. i honestly don't know why some things i can write in my private journal and be happy while others i seem to need eyes on, even if only briefly - but it really does help.

as the song says, only love can break your heart. :(

ron, i so hope things improve for you soon. you seem like a kind person with a good grasp of reality and a determination to keep trying, even though there's so much poo poo piled on top of you. just having the presence of mind to keep going with therapy even when it doesn't produce concrete results is admirable. just to keep on going takes real strength.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

skooma, i hope your dog recovers and has a long and happy life. as ron said, they're tough little creatures, and they know when something is hurting them and can be surprisingly good at managing their own problems. and he has a loving, dedicated owner, which is worth more than gold.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

my dog is currently my biggest source of emotional support, because my family are useless and my friends fit into four categories that make them emotionally unavailable:

a) works 60-80 hours a week
b) whole family in active war zone
c) good vibes only! (they are always allowed to complain about their problems, but anybody else doing so gets "let's talk about something more cheerful!" and if they don't, that's the end of the conversation)

and, the most annoying:

d) the problem solvers! any emotion gets hammered down with "advice" that is usually not applicable and impossible to implement. recently i had a problem that nobody could solve - someone died - and all my problem solver friends totally ghosted me for a month until they were certain i was done grieving and then came back acting like nothing had happened.

humans

e: thinking about this further, i just realised almost all my emotionally intelligent and compassionate friends fit into category a, because nowadays empathic people feel obligated to take on careers in caregiving that then work them into the ground

an egg has issued a correction as of 23:36 on Jan 13, 2024

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Karach posted:

I gave up on these people in my life. I'm not sure what else you're supposed to do.

It's clear that they didn't respect me as a human being; I was like emotional Kleenex for them. I could see how over time in our relationship, by never properly asserting myself, I came to occupy some kind of subordinate role, from their perspective. I was there to make them feel good, in one way or another, and if I wasn't doing that, they had no use for me. They definitely didn't like it when I started to ask to not be treated like dogshit; that was met with "wow you don't like it when I make fun of you in front of everybody? That sounds like a you problem bro."
one of my good-vibes-only friends asked me if my dad was feeling better, i said "unfortunately he passed away a few days ago" and she no poo poo looked at me blankly for two seconds and then started talking about something totally unrelated and never mentioned it again lol. a week later she was present when someone else asked me the same question, and she did it again.

your examples sound like assholes. mine don't treat me like poo poo, they're very loving and honestly delightful when everything is going well, but negative emotions seem to terrify them to a ridiculous degree. especially as i don't show much emotion in front of other people, it's not like they had to worry about me going into hysterics, i would have been happy with a "oh, sorry to hear" rather than... whatever that was.

an egg has issued a correction as of 23:52 on Jan 13, 2024

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

dad's death really shone a light onto all the relationships in my life. i feel it was his last gift to me because it showed me who i could trust to have my back emotionally when things are really bad. the answer to that being "no one", but even that was kind of a relief - i already sensed it subconsciously and had a lot of chronic grinding anxiety over it, but because people kept assuring me they were there for me, i doubted my intuition. now i realise my intuition was better than i thought it was.

this is where having a therapist helps. my upbringing was so dysfunctional that i would have assumed that this lack of support was normal and i was the bad one for having any expectations at all, or that i'd done something wrong in the way i reached out or reacted, but my therapist listened to my account of all the family and friends i interacted with in the days after the death and then solemnly told me "you live in a madhouse."

i agree it's important to have empathy for the other person in this situation and to recognise we're all living in a hosed up society where nobody is taught how to respond to emotions, their own or others'. if i cut everybody out of my life who didn't give me what i needed at this particular point in time, there'd be nobody left and i would have hurt a lot of people who honestly are also victims of their circumstances.

the question is how to move forward and form genuine relationships, recognizing that it's a symptom of our times that many people's ability to form relationships is warped from a very early age. to adjust to that problem, you first have to recognize it exists.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

which brings me back to the only people we can trust: dogs.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

gently caress it

an egg has issued a correction as of 03:27 on Jan 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

thank you, ytlaya

life is exhausting

an egg has issued a correction as of 03:53 on Jan 25, 2024