Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

America Inc. posted:

On a separate note, does anyone here have OCD or ADHD, or just a history of poor impulse control? What do you do to strengthen your cerebral cortex, "thinking slow", or concentration besides medications?
I had OCD symptoms for most of my life and am fairly ADHDish. Had a combo of being extremely constrained in many ways but extremely impulsive in other ways. The big problem area seems to be the prefrontal cortex for me- guanfacine helps with executive functioning and concentration for me as well as anxiety. Meditation helped a lot, therapy helped- in my case early psychological trauma and hiding what I'm like as a person ultimately were the biggest contributor to OCD symptoms.

I feel like cognitive stuff can also be helped just by taxing the brain in new and different ways every day too. I had a job in which I did some physical work like assembly, some engineering/programming, some IT, and some soft skills stuff like sales, and if I didn't have such a high level of stress at the time it would have been very healthy for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

I'm sorry fnln. When I told my mom that I was starting therapy earlier this year, I went through some similar stuff with her. And then again when I came out to her against my better judgement. Sometimes it's just about waiting it out until your body and brain feel like it's safe to start experiencing things normally again. I was just totally blank or super hyper for weeks after those times. I played guitar and watched aquarium videos on youtube a lot. Light exercise in nature was helpful. I'm hoping that you have a good 2024, you seem like a smart thoughtful person to me.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

IMO, to paraphrase someone else, to work on your limitations with emotional engagement with others you have to:

1. set some of yourself aside
2. want to be in the situation in which the other person is centered
3. not view it as transactional
4. being open and not trying to force things to suit what makes you comfortable

Those things are basically completely devalued by our society.

I think that most people rightly know on some level that it is uncharted territory for them, and that a lot of the selfishness involved is a defense mechanism against revealing stunted parts of themselves, a part of themselves exposed by a genuine interaction getting hurt, or losing control of their emotions. And fear of rejection, hurting someone by being incapable etc.

nice obelisk idiot has issued a correction as of 00:20 on Jan 14, 2024

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

If you like animals and can deal with some gross/sad poo poo, volunteering at an animal shelter might be an idea. There's often a big pool of volunteers, and lots of women 20s-30s who are dying for a guy who can demonstrate some kind of desire to care or nurture.