Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

maker posted:

PROTIP
dont read the news

it can be a compulsion though, and consciously forcing yourself to not read the news can cause just as much anticipatory dread as actually reading the poo poo causes the normal kind

also personal rule: i never watch or listen to the news. i only read the news. written news is lovely enough already

for me there's a """""happy""""" medium where i read like 3 threads in here and look at the news as few times a day as i can. honestly i should just retreat back to only reading the happy thread, lord knows it's got enough depressing poo poo in it anyway

with all that said, i do find it hard to imagine there's a single person in cspam whose mental state wouldn't be improved by cutting down on their news intake. it's making me think that i'm probably overestimating the amount of news needed to get to my happy medium. if you can get to 0 good for you.

edit: also i dont want to talk too much about myself on the drat internet but im glad this thread exists. gallows humor has its place but i think it's obvious that most/all of us aren't very good at keeping a balance so it's good to reflect on occasion

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 21:30 on Feb 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i had a therapist tell me to read that PUA book and told me to hang out with a PUA guy

and the PUA guy was... her son

honestly trolling/unwell dude you won't even know how to properly dislike therapy until you get some horror stories under your belt

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Always Quit Social Media Platforms

and a huge part of the therapy thing is that it mostly sucks, that's one of the things the real depression cognoscenti understand. mentally well smooth-brains are the ones who think therapists are magic

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 06:02 on Feb 11, 2019

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

finding a therapist is similar to the worst parts of dating, sadly. any therapist who isn't horrifically unprofessional will be well aware of that and will not be bothered if you tell them they just aren't clicking with you, and they can hopefully give you references

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

healthy well adjusted brain: Mormonism

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i feel like the stereotypical ideal of mormonism is the thing i envy, the idea that people could be healthy and well-adjusted and good parents and members of society and poo poo just through the One Wierd Trick of having a religion that protects you from wanting to not be boring by giving you some kind of fulfillment i can't imagine. you can put other religions in there for sure, i've met muslims who outwardly seemed pretty happy with poo poo

of course this is just that thing where you look at the facade or ideal of someone's life and pretend it's their entire life for self-hating purposes; it's the same way people self-hate by looking at other people's nice pictures on facebook or instagram.

the reality is probably that most of those people are hard-core repressed in some weird-rear end way, and that it isn't fun for them. i wouldn't want to be my current self but in a restrictive mormon setting, and i bet a lot more people are in that position than in the stereotypical ideal position

anyway

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

sir this is an online therapy app, how does that make you feel

i thought i was at a wendy's drive thru in utah sorry

and gently caress the gig economy but also gently caress therapists kinda, i'm not really in this for their best interests. that said, i'm guessing that in-person therapy is gonna help both of you communicate with each other better and is gonna give you a better chance at actually getting something for your money, but maybe i'm just old, and i'm definitely ignorant, i've never tried it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

Please do not disparage therapy in this thread. it’s a cornerstone of mental health programs, and one bad therapist experience does not define the entire profession.

thanks and namaste

no problem. let me try to strip the negativity out of that comment: i've never tried online therapy and i'm skeptical that it can give you the same return that a face-to-face meeting can, but 1) i'm ignorant, i've never tried it and 2) maybe that's someone's best option in which case it's got to be better than nothing

i could imagine it being a good way to work through a bunch of therapists and maybe start seeing one in person. online dating, basically. this whole therapist thing has similarities with dating

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 18:17 on Feb 16, 2019