Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

skooma512 posted:

The resentment such as it is is based in the fact that I'm just kinda on my own in having to satisfy all these people, and that I don't really get to make any decisions. I have to live where she goes because she's my wife and how that even works is on me to figure, I have to fly back to take care of my parents by myself and that sacrifice won't go the other way, because it wouldn't make sense anyway, but I still will have to do it on my own. If it's so long term that we have to live separately I have to get a job here and then send money back to a home I can't live in to pay for debts I didn't incur while I'm paying basically a life debt to my stubborn parents. It's going to suck and I already have a hard time with people and I can easily see a future where all the people in my life are just resenting me for not giving them every last thing I owe them for existing.
Could you just...not ruin your own life because your parents say that you have to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

skooma512 posted:

They'll probably hold themselves as hostages. Who knows, it may very well work, I'm not made of stone. Hopefully they'll see reason, or at least not be able to fight too much when I drag them to whereever I'm at.
I meant to circle back around and be...less flippant, frankly. I don't presume to tell you what to do, but I couldn't help notice that you're framing doing your parent's bidding as "the easiest way to resolve this" when it sounds like anything but. It doesn't even sound like the path of least resistance. Do you really want to live with these people until they die? Do you really see your relationship surviving that, and are you willing to throw it away for them? You said that you don't get to make any decisions, but do your parents actually have the power to force you to do anything? It sounds like you're making the decision to throw your life away because they demand it. I don't see any indication that the well-founded bitterness and resentment you're feeling is going to get better over time.

What are the consequences if you move away with your partner and never speak to them again? I'm not saying you should do it, just consider it as a thought exercise, vs. the consequences of choosing to be their servant, while they constantly hold you in contempt, until they spend their last breath croaking that you're an ungrateful wretch who never did anything for them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Your parents really are pieces of work unlike anything I've ever seen.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

welp, I got the email I kept telling my family was coming yet they refused to believe: my landlord wants to sell the place. I don't know if my job will be stable, I don't know if I want to stay in this country but the whole tech sector is taking a poo poo everywhere, my savings keep dropping in value thanks to the currency exchange, it feels like I a, headed toward financial ruin yet everyone around me says everything is fine and the future will be fine, and I just need to stop thinking so long term, and I can't take it anymore. Even my therapist feels useless.
This is a wonderful opportunity to move to a different place and not give your family your home address. The only downside is that you can no longer justify enabling your family's abuse by saying that if you don't comply with their insane demands, they'll just show up at your house.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Is Polar grapefruit seltzer a concern if you're on a medication that has bad interactions with grapefruit? No matter what search terms I throw at the Internet I just keep getting warnings not to drink grapefruit juice.