Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Is it cool if we post personal experiences? I've gone through a lot of treatment and while I won't say I'm cured I'm now stable and happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
One therapist wanted to send me to some scam out patient rehab that she coincidentally owned. From my experience any rehab that is 100% out patient is just a monetized version of a AA

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

being in a psych ward fuckin rules. i stayed once for 4 weeks and have lots of good things to say. dont be afraid of it if you need to go.

Yeah, I was involuntarily committed to a county one for two weeks and was surprised that is was pretty decent. This is obviously anecdotal but all the staff actually cared and wanted to help. They also really helped finding resources for me once I got out.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I got real into Twitter shitposting a while back. I was as stable as I've ever been at that point and it really hosed with me. I realized every time I checked Twitter I'd start grinding my teeth and getting real stressed. Social media is designed to drive you insane

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I've been thinking about getting a therapist for a while and this is giving me the nudge I needed. How does one go about finding one?

If you're in the US and have insurance your provider will often have a site that helps you find therapists in your network. If not youll have to google "therapists in <city>" and hoping to find one that takes your insurance or works on a sliding scale

If you're seeking therapy about LGBT issues some larger cities have centers devoted to that which usually offer sliding scales.

It can be a giant hassle to deal with but it's worth it.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
A lot of universities have subsidized general therapy clinics. They usually don't provide specialized or intensive treatment though

That said, if you feel like you need a break take it. The degree will be useless if you drive yourself to the edge to get it.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

do NOT jack off posted:

Does anyone else feel profound feelings of worthlessness? Does political news only make it worse? I look at these colossally awful things happening in the world and even close to home, and just think of how powerless I am. It really exacerbates depression.

Oh yeah. The system is basically set up to make you feel tiny and powerless. Becoming involved in local activist groups really helped me with these feelings. I can at least say I'm doing something even if it seems insignificant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I finally sacked up and looked up therapists in my area. Pretty much the moment I started reading the bios and therapy strategies I had an insane upwelling of nonspecific emotion and started crying so I think this is definitely a good thing.

I sent an email requesting an appointment so here goes.

Congrats! I know how confusing all of it can be but it does get better. Don't be afraid to "shop around" until you find a therapist you feel comfortable with.