Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

J. P. Beagley posted:

I've considered therapy but I'm also worried about dumping all of the existential horror I experience on another person, even a trained professional. I'm sure they've "heard it all before" but I'd rather not chance pulling someone into hell w/ me. Irrational?

worrying that contact with you will contaminate others, therefore you draw further inward upon yourself, is about as close to a quintessential depressive cognitive feedback loop as you can get, yes. so: irrational. :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
depression carries with it a kind of "mask" that you throw on because you're trying to maintain that socially mandated false front all the loving time which is utterly draining to keep up, which means you have no energy left over for yourself, which means those insides get worse and worse, which means the mask needs to be held up more rigidly and tightly than ever, which gets harder than ever every single day, which leaves you with less energy, which means you feel emptier and more isolated that ever, which means the mask is more important than ever, and on and on and on and on and on and on and at some point you hit crisis.

and you throw that mask up with the ease of slipping on fitted gloves because a lot of people, even though they truly care, don't really know how to engage with someone clearly Not Feeling It

incorrect: "are you okay?" [mask goes on] Yeah! Sure!

correctl: "what's wrong?" [mask slips, because now you must Show Something] Um. Well,

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
no, actually go without medication and start drinking more heavily wh8ile getting really into manic bluegrass murderfolk until hepatitis forces you to get your poo poo together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSP7a4o2Xrc

or. y'know. don't. takes all types to make the world go round.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
yes to be clear: do not do any of that poo poo, it's 100% sarcasm and livers do NOT grow back, which is a thing i know now.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Zyla posted:

my hot take is that depression is the natural state of humans, and the non-depressed are the abberations.

I would say that only a very small minority of people are actually clinically non-depressed and the rest are pretending they are

imo this video remains the best of a very very very good series (rsa animate)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5um8QWWRvo

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
also a very important part of dealing with my Bullshit was learning to differentiate the degree to which my brain was chronically failing to make happy chemicals (which is the case to an extent) and the degree to which i was genuinely surrounded by god-loving-awful people who say awful things and give awful advice and live in a morass of emotional garbage stinking and yelling and pulling everyone around them into the muck as well, and that maybe i sought out people like that because i believed that was the only quality of socialization i deserved and maybe Feeling Better would be aided by managing those contacts to a minimum.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
theres an adjustment period of like a week where you're like "ew! this nightguard is bulky and weird and i don't like it!"

and then after a few days you close your teeth together over the wear patterns and realize: in a few sleeps you've already clenched through a plastic tough enough to stop bullets and this thing is great, and if anyone bugs you about it they can gently caress. right. off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I like the ol' jungian trick where you don't analyze the specific image quite so much as you focus on how you were feeling, emotionally, during it.