Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

I really liked this series of books, so I've decided to share my favourite one with a Let's Read. The difference from the Ring thread that got archived because I burned out is this - that was text. This time I'll be reading it aloud, chapter by chapter, intending to give each character a voice (although that may slip every now and then).

These are easy, fun reads that generally do interesting things with the world and characters, and they have an imagination to them. They take a moment or an aspect of the plot and derail it, causing the story to go in a far different direction than what people expect. This one in particular gets particularly nuts and I love it for that - the concept is that due to Maleficent having a backup plan, after she is killed and Philip kisses Aurora, instead of her waking up, he gets pulled into her sleep, sucking him into a dream that the entire kingdom is trapped in.

I'm choosing this format because it's easier for me and seems like it'll be more fun, both to make and to follow. This will hopefully ensure that I don't forget about it for 2 months and get the thread archived again.

Here is chapter 1 - Consider the Dragon

Almost forgot - no spoilers. This story goes in some pretty weird directions and I want it to be a surprise.

Chapter 2: Happily Ever After, Redacted
Chapter 3: Status Quo
Chapter 4: Douche Dame Jolie
Chapter 5: In the Cards
Chapter 6: The Ball
Chapter 7: We're All Mad Here
Chapter 8: The Bluebird of Happiness
Chapter 9: Dancing While the World Burns
Chapter 10: Interlude
Chapter 11: The Inevitable Forest Primeval
Chapter 12: Enter the Prince
Chapter 13: Once Upon a Time as it really was (As told by the prince)
Chapter 14: The Denouement
Chapter 15: Meanwhle, Back at the Castle
Chapter 16: Feeling Ravine-ous
Chapter 17: You're So Vain!
Chapter 18: Sing to Me, Oh Muse
Chapter 19: To Sleep, Perchance to Dream
Chapter 20: Awakening, Sort of + Interlude
Chapter 21: They Hadn't the Foggiest
Chapter 22: Double the Fun+Interlude
Chapter 23: Void + Interlude
Chapter 24: Childhood Haunts
Chapter 25: The Long Journey Back to the Castle + Interlude
Chapter 26: Her Return
Chapter 27: Another Denouement
Chapter 28: Consider the Dragon... Again
Chapter 29: FINAL CHAPTERS: Happily Ever After + Epilogue: All Good Things

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
By the way I have a plan for the points where things get more complex - I'm going to record prose on one track, and dialog on a seperate one for each character, so that multiple characters can talk together or over each other if needed, also it will help me keep the sound each character has consistent. I've recorded the prose for the second chapter.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

THought i'd update - the initial thought turned out to be taking too long, so it's a straight reading, however I will be trying to differentiate the characters vocally. The next chapter should be up tomorrow or later tonight if possible.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Chapter 2: Happily Ever After, Redacted

Here is the next chapter, sorry it took so long. I hope you're enjoying it so far, the story goes places later. For now it's all setup.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Chapter 3: Status Quo

I like this chapter as it sets up the relationship that has been forged between Maleficent and Aurora, but it's one Maleficent isn't fully on board with and that's pretty amusing. I also like that in this version of events Aurora can't keep animals straight because she's never seen them for real. That's fun.

Any thoughts on the story so far, or my presentation of it? I have been known to talk too quickly at times and am doing my best to not do that when recording.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 10, 2019

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I think your presentation is fine.

I tend to like re-tellings of myths and folk tales, so I think the story so far is good.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Chapter 4: Douche Dame Jolie

This chapter is neat because of just how hosed the world has become since Aurora's parent's broke the world... or is that the reason?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've recorded Chapter 5, so that'll be up tomorrow after I've done my overtime at work. I was just concentrating on other projects, that are now complete.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Chapter 5: In the Cards

I like the recurring thing where Aurora's memories of her life as established in the book and her life as established in the movie get all mixed up, it's an interesting idea.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Chapter 6: The Ball

I like these moments where characters freak out, they are fun to record. Also the balls are cool. I also kind of like Civilian Maleficent where she's just kind of hanging out with Aurora and chatting casually.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I'm enjoying these readings and have put this on my list of books to buy at some point.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Chapter 7: We're All Mad Here

We get insight into Lianna, and meet Lady Astrid, and I run out of voices for old women :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Chapter 8: The Bluebird of Happiness

I love Maleficent's scene here, it's not often she loses it and she definitely has a point, it's probably obvious that I had a lot of fun recording that moment. Also the stuff with Cael is cute.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Chapter 9: Dancing While the World Burns

This chapter ends Act One - Aurora figuring out what's wrong and starting to take steps. I like the clarification on what certain things in the dream world mean, like the loud chimes that last for days on end and drive people mad every few days are actually just Aurora's actual clock chiming the hours on her birthday as the day passes, and that the entire story actually takes place over the course of hours, not days or months. It's following Inception rules.

Also we are now out of the castle!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Chapter 10: Interlude

A very short chapter that covers what happened in the Real world while the first 9 chapters were happening.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The next chapter is on it's way, it's just a really long one and the audio hosed up in a couple of places, so some bits needs rerecording. it'll be up soon.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Chapter 11: The Inevitable Forest Primeval

I love this chapter, although it's a really long one. I think the idea of Aurora's lives colliding in her head is in interesting one and like how she settles on a middle-ground version of herself that she just accepts has lived both lives called "Aurora Rose" This is the point where the plot begins really starting to ramp up.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm a bit behind on my threads lately because this month has been hectic, I just got back form visiting my brother for his birthday for 3 days. I'm hoping to have the next episode done and up over the next weekend, or if not, during the following week.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Chapter 12: Enter the Prince

Here we are, a rather cute chapter. I just love how bewildered Aurora is on meeting the charming idiot that is the Prince.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The next chapter will be next weekend at some point, it's a relatively short one. Any thoughts on the story so far?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I'm enjoying it!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Chapter 13: Once Upon a Time as it really was (As told by the prince)

Sorry if the audio is a bit lower quality than usual.

An aspect of the story that I like is Aurora's rejection of all the rules of the story as presented and the shame she feels at being naive enough to buy into it without question. Most of her characterisation from here on is on that level, of "Oh my god the entire kingdom is a kingdom of idiots! Myself included!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Chapter 14: The Denouement

I like this fairly long chapter, contains a lot of self-reflection. Also some funny lines.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

That was a great chapter!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

xcheopis posted:

That was a great chapter!

Yup. I'm personally partial to "GOOD LO- alright I'll stop saying that..."

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

He's also not an absolute idiot, which is nice.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Chapter 15: Meanwhle, Back at the Castle

A short as hell micro-chapter but has some key character development foreshadowing.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Ominous!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Chapter 16: Feeling Ravine-ous

Here we are at Chapter 16, in which Aurora's and Phillips Troubles really start. Yes, the title is a pun! Also this is a neat chapter. Aurora Rose and Prince Phillip discuss their upbringings, while Maleficent flexes. Hard.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm gonna update soon, it's just been a very long stressful month, and I've just started a very tiring job.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm gonna update soon, it's just been a very long stressful month, and I've just started a very tiring job.

Sorry to hear and I hope it gets better for you.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Chapter 17: You're So Vain!

Here's the next update, with an interesting perspective on Aurora's gift of Beauty and a pretty fun ending to the chapter.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I know it's been a month since the last update, I've been really busy trying to find work and it's put me in a non-productive mindset due to stress, and my headset broke so I had to get a new one. I have a better headset now so I'll update soon but still busy looking for work too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Chapter 18: Sing to Me, Oh Muse

Here we are with a very long, very involved chapter. It is very interesting though, dealing with an insidious trap that is the most intelligent but also devastating yet. Took a while as it's long as gently caress and I've been busy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Here's a short but very interesting interlude. I'm sure you can guess the nature of what's happening.

Does any thoughts on Aurora's characterisation or the story in general so far? I like how she has some relatable anxieties and flaws as the story unfolds.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

BioEnchanted posted:

Here's a short but very interesting interlude. I'm sure you can guess the nature of what's happening.

Does any thoughts on Aurora's characterisation or the story in general so far? I like how she has some relatable anxieties and flaws as the story unfolds.

Haven't yet had the time to listen to the latest but I have been enjoying the them.

I do like Aurora's flaws; getting trapped by her own vanity (as little as that is) was clever. Both of them are great, really, and I now want a bit of background on the Evil Queen.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

xcheopis posted:

Haven't yet had the time to listen to the latest but I have been enjoying the them.

I do like Aurora's flaws; getting trapped by her own vanity (as little as that is) was clever. Both of them are great, really, and I now want a bit of background on the Evil Queen.

There are two books in the series that I haven't got yet, the Snow White one is one of them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Chapter 20: Awakening, Sort of + Interlude

Here we are, the central turning point of the story. Aurora realising that she has actual control of her dream, and learning to apply it on purpose. Also I love her breakdown of exactly why everyone screwed her over from the start, she is just done with everyone. I also like her moment of temptation as well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Chapter 21: They Hadn't the Foggiest

Quite an action packed chapter. BTW, Where the text says that the events happen in silence, the following events are kind of printed like a checklist of events, going for the kind of thing that you see in movies where there is a heartbeat noise as it fades out and fades in showing a quick visual, it's just hard to get across in text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Chapter 22: Double the Fun + Interlude

This chapter's neat because it gives the Prince something to do and a bit of characterisation. Also it's told in a fun way.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 17, 2020