Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Right on :)

Today is legit my favorite work day because I get to spend all day listening to music while driving to our place in another city, and there are kolaches and klobasnikys waiting for me in a Czech bakery out there in the hills along the way

:coffeepal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout

It is an odd time for those of us still working in merry old england because the government support is a percentage of salary but only if furloughed, so on the one hand it's like yay I still have a job and I'm getting paid and life goes on well, but on the other hand most everyone around me is on an extended paid holiday in the middle of the summer.

But no matter!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Jaded Burnout posted:

It is an odd time for those of us still working in merry old england because the government support is a percentage of salary but only if furloughed, so on the one hand it's like yay I still have a job and I'm getting paid and life goes on well, but on the other hand most everyone around me is on an extended paid holiday in the middle of the summer.

But no matter!

Same in America, except it's state by state and in some cases city by city so I'm still working and have been this entire time. It's nuts and I hate it, but I did get a cool mask from my boss I guess???

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I have actually been feeling motivated and productive today after feeling completely the opposite past week :toot:

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Hey, I get to go back to work downtown during riots and looting. Did I mention that I work in security?

Jaded Burnout

At least your security job will have job security.

Escape From Noise

I'm still not working. I'm starting to think about setting up an LLC for a gypsy brewery (this is the common term but apologies if this is offensive and I will edit and do what is necessary if it is, but it's a bit of a distinction. Phantom brewery means that you just hand a recipe or whatever over to a brewery, pay a fee, and they make it without you. A gypsy brewery means the employees of the brewery physically go to the brewery to brew the beer. The most popular example of this type would be Mikkeller.)
I still need to sit down and figure out a business model, etc. Not sure if it's a very good idea yet. Probably not, but I'm going a bit stir crazy, and I have enough connections in the Japanese brewing industry that I could probably find places to do this without much issue.

Goons Are Gifts

I'd love to see you brewing! You've been waiting for so long and now all this shutdown jazz happened and you still couldn't do it :smith:

Would it come with a huge financial risk? I assume you need a lot of money for equipment and the like, or can you rent a place for that and see where it goes?

Jaded Burnout

Goons Are Great posted:

Would it come with a huge financial risk? I assume you need a lot of money for equipment and the like, or can you rent a place for that and see where it goes?

Presumably that's where "A gypsy brewery means the employees of the brewery physically go to the brewery to brew the beer." comes in. Not much point brewing in a brewery if you're not using the equipment.

Goons Are Gifts

Ugh, sorry. I was still in bed when making that post and English is a tough language.
Basically the question is whether or not trying it out comes with big liabilities that you might get stuck on, or if it's rather easy to do and see where it goes.

Escape From Noise

No worries. Basically I think that the financial risks wouldn't be awful. I need to do more research though. In getting feedback from industry folks. It would also be a side business instead of my main thing. We'll see what happens though

Escape From Noise

I was talking to a coworker and he mentioned he thought there was a decent chance of my current workplace going under, which freaked me the hell out. It may not be as bad as my co-worker said, he does tend to kind of exaggerate these kinds of things but definitely time to start looking around. I'll probably have to give up on brewing for a while if that ends up happening, but there's going to be a huge shortage of native English teachers this year.

Jaded Burnout

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

but there's going to be a huge shortage of native English teachers this year.

Why so?

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

They all died of sadness

Escape From Noise

Because, statistically, most come from the US and the UK. Although there's also a fair amount from Canada and Australia, and a few from New Zealand and Ireland, most come from those countries. Due to the Covid pandemic still not being completely under control entrance into Japan is being heavily restricted, couple that with both countries having a very poor response causing the number of cases to explode, the hurdles to people coming from those countries are going to be much larger, and probably longer lasting.

I'm friendly with the guy who is the current English teacher with the JET Program in the village I was at for JET. Participants sign a yearly employment contract if they decide to stay on with a hard cap at 5 years. Every year you decide whether or not you'll re-sign at the end of February. The guy who's there now decided this year would be his last last year. Recently they told him they weren't sure if they'd be able to bring in a new teacher and asked if he'd be willing to sign up for another year, which he took. He also told me that people who were finishing their fifth year in JET were offered the opportunity to sign on for a sixth year.

Escape From Noise

Oh yeah. Japanese law requires that every class from I believe 5th grade through high school have a certain amount of time with a native English speaker each year.

Jaded Burnout

Today I'm being paid to attend an online conference (which was also paid for). An acceptable use of my time.

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back
I have finished all my tasks and now I will sit quietly for the rest of the day with nothing to do.

I suppose I'll do a crossword.

E: okay that wasted 24 minutes. Only 3:15 hours to go.

Tipps fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 18, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

It’s hot as balls in here and I’m already tired of it but summer is just beginning

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Oh man. My job is so hosed up.

Escape From Noise

I'm not even sure what's happening. I have a job but no work so at least I can keep my visa. Blech

Escape From Noise

Apparently my boss is quitting and nobody knows anything about the state of the brewing license. I really don't want to move again but I may not really have a choice. Fuuuuuuuck

Jaded Burnout

rip

Escape From Noise

...my visa.

gently caress everything

Escape From Noise

I'm such a loving idiot. I should have walked ages ago. Now I'm not even sure if I'll be able to find a motherfucking English teaching position.

Finger Prince

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I'm such a loving idiot. I should have walked ages ago. Now I'm not even sure if I'll be able to find a motherfucking English teaching position.

Hey check your PMs

jpeg

good_mother69

I'm brewing coffee, logged into the network, but I'm not working :evilbuddy:

sig by the great nut

Tipps

party in the front

business in the back
Mondays. :sigh:

Jaded Burnout

Tipps posted:

Mondays. :sigh:

yepp

Escape From Noise

My friend offered to marry me to get me permanent residency. Which is sweet of her but definitely a whole other set of bullshit to deal with.

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
Good evening byob.
I spent the day at work, gathering information and pricing info on occupancy counting and seat reservation software that my director wants to buy in the unjustified belief that it will somehow provide protection from COVID-19 when we are forced to reopen our library in the next week or two.

We now join already in progress.

Finger Prince

Just reminded of how loving toxic my old office was, now that I'm back working there. gently caress this place. And I'm stuck here until at least next year when other departments start looking at hiring for all the people they lost. Thankful and lucky I still have a job, yes. Happy about the whole situation? Hell no.

Escape From Noise

I should probably look into getting a part time job.

Jaded Burnout

Someone who was perfectly fine at their job but I didn't get on amazingly well with has chosen to leave. :woop:

Not a big deal either way, but progressive improvement!

Escape From Noise

My I guess former coworker is taking a job with the brewery I worked for last year who tried to completely gently caress me over. I like the guy but it doesn't feel good.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

It’s just too danged hot and it’s killing my motivation to do anything

Jaded Burnout

:(

No AC in the shop?

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

:(

No AC in the shop?

Lolololololol nope. Couldn’t afford to run it even if I had it. Currently 42.7 C in here. But there’s some clouds now and maybe it’ll rain and cool off a little.

Jaded Burnout

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Lolololololol nope. Couldn’t afford to run it even if I had it. Currently 42.7 C in here. But there’s some clouds now and maybe it’ll rain and cool off a little.

wtf! I tap out at 32ºC in my office as I'm convinced that's the melting point of human thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
I hate my job

It's very bad

Logging on

Makes me sad

:smith: